Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Former Twins News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Former Twins News - 8/24/2016 2:25:03 PM   
TJSweens

Gibson is just a monumental disappointment. I thought he had turned the corner last year. Instead of taking the next step, he has gone right down the shitter.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1026
RE: Former Twins News - 8/24/2016 2:27:07 PM   
Black 47

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Gibson is just a monumental disappointment. I thought he had turned the corner last year. Instead of taking the next step, he has gone right down the shitter.

And sadly, I'm afraid his biggest problem is between the ears.
Post #: 1027
RE: Former Twins News - 8/24/2016 2:34:39 PM   
TJSweens

You could hear Morris getting annoyed with his incessant nibbling around the strike zone.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1028
RE: Former Twins News - 8/24/2016 3:03:30 PM   
MDK

quote:

You could hear Morris getting annoyed with his incessant nibbling around the strike zone.

Wouldn't you love to see a catcher like Bench or Fisk handle a guy like Gibson. Remember a story about Bench.....kept calling for a pitcher's fastball, kept getting offspeed stuff. Finally caught one of the off speed pitches bare handed and tossed it back.

I know he is now too old but I would have like to see AJ handle some of this dead between the ears pitchers on the Twins.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 1029
RE: Former Twins News - 8/24/2016 3:12:14 PM   
Black 47

I'd go so far to say we might have won a World Series one of those years had we kept AJ.
Post #: 1030
RE: Former Twins News - 8/24/2016 5:10:47 PM   
ewen21

quote:

I missed the game last night, but I am rewatching where it all went wrong in the sixth right now. Dozier gives them a lead and then the very first pitch is a single to center followed by a wild pitch

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1031
RE: Former Twins News - 8/24/2016 5:39:30 PM   
Black 47

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

quote:

I missed the game last night, but I am rewatching where it all went wrong in the sixth right now. Dozier gives them a lead and then the very first pitch is a single to center followed by a wild pitch

Post #: 1032
RE: Former Twins News - 8/24/2016 5:49:12 PM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black 47

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

quote:

I just had to see it. Kinda like that milk that went bad long ago, but you need to sniff it just one more time before you dump it

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1033
RE: Former Twins News - 8/24/2016 5:56:45 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

Absolutely. He is 22 years old already and has 8 major league starts under his belt. He should making noise in the Cy Young conversation already.

He can pitch his way off my list.

For now, he's there.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1034
RE: Former Twins News - 8/24/2016 6:20:42 PM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

Absolutely. He is 22 years old already and has 8 major league starts under his belt. He should making noise in the Cy Young conversation already.

He can pitch his way off my list.

For now, he's there.

I would agree because he presents himself as a deer in the headlights. He is so damn high-strung.

Like you say, he can pitch his way off that list, but that is where he is now: A disappointment

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1035
RE: Former Twins News - 8/24/2016 11:27:44 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

The newest "may have had some potential, but went off the tracks horribly at some point" guy.
Frustrates me about as much as anyone lately.
Post #: 1036
RE: Former Twins News - 8/25/2016 9:26:52 PM   
sixthwi

The Marlins announced that they have designated outfielder Oswaldo Arcia for assignment in order to clear a spot on the roster for the newly acquired Jeff Francoeur. Arcia had only recently been claimed off waivers from the Rays, but his time with the Marlins will amount to just two games/two plate appearances.

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 1037
RE: Former Twins News - 8/25/2016 11:30:19 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

The Marlins announced that they have designated outfielder Oswaldo Arcia for assignment in order to clear a spot on the roster for the newly acquired Jeff Francoeur. Arcia had only recently been claimed off waivers from the Rays, but his time with the Marlins will amount to just two games/two plate appearances.

And probably six swings .......

Post #: 1038
RE: Former Twins News - 9/3/2016 10:29:59 PM   
Black 47

Just watched Casey Fien pitch an inning for the Dodgers. Bad memories watching that guy pitch.
Post #: 1039
RE: Former Twins News - 9/4/2016 7:44:06 AM   
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

And probably six swings .......

And now on to the Padres. Arcia became a journeyman in just one year.

< Message edited by unome -- 9/4/2016 7:48:03 AM >
Post #: 1040
RE: Former Twins News - 9/4/2016 7:46:04 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black 47

Just watched Casey Fien pitch an inning for the Dodgers. Bad memories watching that guy pitch.

Has allowed 8 HRs in 25 NL outings

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1041
RE: Former Twins News - 9/4/2016 8:30:30 AM   
Black 47

And last night he gave up a run and got bailed out by a great catch by the left fielder. He throws batting practice.
Post #: 1042
RE: Former Twins News - 9/4/2016 9:14:03 PM   
sixthwi

Watching Notre Dame/Texas. Torii Hunter Jr. just scored a touchdown so of course they showed Papa high fiving everyone.

Post #: 1043
RE: Former Twins News - 9/5/2016 2:31:45 PM   
Mr. Ed

Thank you Twins incompetence

In a sense, Saturday was Day 1 of the next phase of Alex Meyer’s career.

Meyer was promoted to join the Angels and tabbed for a start on Wednesday, replacing Brett Oberholtzer in the rotation.

“I’m thankful for my time with the Twins, but it’s definitely good to have a fresh start and an opportunity to come somewhere where they’re happy to have me,” Meyer said Saturday. “I’m happy to have a fresh start in a new organization.”

Meyer was the centerpiece of somewhat surprising trade of Hector Santiago to the Twins on Aug. 1. They took a shot that Meyer, once one of baseball’s top pitching prospects, could finally fulfill his potential.

A bad year in 2015 and a shoulder injury in 2016 dropped his stock in the industry, but the Angels are hoping he can rebound. He was still throwing in the upper 90s in the past month in the Angels farm system.

“Like all of baseball, you are drawn to his power arm,” Manager Mike Scioscia said. “This guy was a first-round pick. He has a nice delivery, spins the ball. From some of the tough spots he’s gone through in his career, he’s evolved. He’s really thrown the ball well down there. You want to see him up here against major league hitters and see how his stuff plays.”

Meyer pitched in five games at three levels of the Angels farm system, from the rookie level Arizona League to Triple-A Salt Lake City. In 11 2/3 innings, he had a 3.09 ERA, with 21 strikeouts and two walks.

Meyer, 26, said he feels 100 percent past the shoulder problem – an impingement, he said – that cost him two months this summer.

“The other night when I threw in Salt Lake was the best I’ve felt since coming back,” Meyer said.

Meyer also said since he got to the Angels system the coaches have shown him some ways to prevent a recurrence of the injury.

Given that and how he’s felt and his success in the last month, Meyer is optimistic that he can be the pitcher the Angels hope.

“I don’t have any lack of confidence,” he said. “Last year was the first year I really struggled. It was just a bad year in general. Before that, I was good. Before the injury this year I felt good. I don’t really have any concerns going forward.”

As for his Angels debut on Wednesday afternoon at Oakland, Meyer may only be able to throw four or five innings. He hasn’t thrown more than 64 pitches in the last month.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1044
RE: Former Twins News - 9/13/2016 2:16:28 PM   
Mr. Ed

The Dodgers have outrighted reliever Casey Fien to Triple-A Oklahoma City after designating him for assignment over the weekend in order to clear room for the returning Andre Ethier, according to J.P. Hoornstra of the Southern California News Group (on Twitter).

The Dodgers claimed Fien and the remainder of his $2.275MM salary from the Twins back in early May and ultimately received 25 1/3 innings of 4.21 ERA ball out of the 32-year-old. Fien never established himself with the Tigers, who originally drafted him in 2006, but he broke out as a solid setup piece for the Twins in 2012. Fien went on to post a 3.54 ERA in 223 2/3 innings for the Twins from 2012-15, but his strikeout rate plummeted in 2015 and he struggled greatly this season before Minnesota designated him. While his ERA improved with the Dodgers, Fien allowed a stunning eight homers in his short time with L.A., plus another five in his 13 1/3 innings with the Twins. All told, he’s served up 13 long balls in just 39 1/3 innings of work this season en route to a collective 5.49 ERA, although his 8.0 K/9 and 2.3 BB/9 are at least somewhat encouraging.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1045
RE: Former Twins News - 9/21/2016 12:42:28 PM   
sixthwi

•The Brewers announced that they have selected the contract of catcher Josmil Pinto from Triple-A Colorado Springs. The Brewers claimed Pinto off waivers from the Padres this offseason after San Diego claimed him from the Twins organization. The 27-year-old had an electric debut as a September call-up for Minnesota back in 2013, but he failed to hit much in 2014-15 and has long come with defensive question marks. Beyond all that, Pinto dealt with concussion issues for much of the 2015 campaign. After a poor showing in the minors in 2015 (due perhaps to the aforementioned concussion problems), though, Pinto has thrived at the Triple-A level in 2016. While Colorado Springs (and the Pacific Coast League, in general) is considered a hitter-friendly environment, Pinto’s .308/.362/.517 slash is still impressive. He could get some at-bats in the coming days while backup catcher Manny Pina is on the paternity list, as Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel tweets. Milwaukee’s 40-man roster, which was at 39 players, is now full.

Post #: 1046
RE: Former Twins News - 9/27/2016 12:30:29 PM   
sixthwi

The Yankees announced this afternoon that they’ve outrighted reliever J.R. Graham to Triple-A, thus removing the 26-year-old right-hander from the 40-man roster.

Post #: 1047
RE: Former Twins News - 9/27/2016 2:14:27 PM   
Mr. Ed

The Giants are “very close” to striking a deal to acquire infielder Gordon Beckham from the Braves, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports on Twitter. Presumably, the move would be made to help cover for Eduardo Nunez, who is dealing with a hamstring issue.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1048
RE: Former Twins News - 9/27/2016 2:19:15 PM   
sixthwi

Nationals have announced that Wilson Ramos has a torn ACL and of course is done for the season.

Post #: 1049
RE: Former Twins News - 9/27/2016 2:29:51 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Nationals have announced that Wilson Ramos has a torn ACL and of course is done for the season.

and won't be ready until later in 2017.

Bargain contract!!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode