Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Former Twins News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Former Twins News - 6/15/2017 2:14:12 PM   
Mr. Ed

3B Matt Chapman, former A's 1st rounder that just supplanted Plouffe, is the comp for #mntwins 5th-rder Andrew Bechtold, per Sean Johnson.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1176
RE: Former Twins News - 6/15/2017 2:36:38 PM   
djskillz

Sign him. He'd actually still be a great fit here.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1177
RE: Former Twins News - 6/15/2017 2:41:10 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

With top prospect Matt Chapman set to be officially called up on Thursday, the A’s are preparing to designate third baseman Trevor Plouffe for assignment, The Chronicle has learned.

Plouffe, signed to a one-year, $5.25 million deal during the offseason, is batting .214 with seven homers and 14 RBIs and six errors in 58 games and his playing time had been diminished the past two weeks. He started just one game on the team’s just-completed road trip to Tampa Bay and Miami.

Chapman, 24, was the A’s first-round pick in the 2014 draft, 25th overall. He is likely to be the everyday third baseman Ryon Healy, who has been playing the position more often lately, has made eight errors in 18 starts there. Healy probably will return to splitting time between the designated hitter spot and first base.

We're looking for another bench bat.........

We are?

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 1178
RE: Former Twins News - 6/26/2017 3:14:32 PM   
twinsfan

I have some news that will make a number of posters here very happy.

Aaron Hicks has been placed on the DL with an oblique strain.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1179
RE: Former Twins News - 6/26/2017 4:00:43 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I have some news that will make a number of posters here very happy.

Aaron Hicks has been placed on the DL with an oblique strain.

Hicks told reporters last night that he’s been informed that he’ll need three to four weeks to recover from the injury — a tough blow to both player and team, as the 27-year-old Hicks is in the midst of a sensational breakout season. Acquired in the 2015-16 offseason in a trade that sent John Ryan Murphy to the Twins, Hicks had a dreadful first season in New York but has exploded in 2017. Through 242 plate appearances, the former first-round pick and top prospect is hitting .290/.398/.515 with 10 homers, seven steals and outstanding defense (primarily in center field).

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1180
RE: Former Twins News - 6/28/2017 3:05:41 PM   
Mr. Ed

Ah, the Pat Light infatuation fades quickly

The Mariners have outrighted right-handed pitcher Pat Light, per a club announcement. That opens a 40-man roster spot, though it’s not immediately clear whether the team has plans for how to use it.

Seattle claimed the 26-year-old Light off waivers from the Pirates just under two weeks ago, though his stay on the 40-man was brief. Light has gone from the Red Sox to the Twins (in exchange for Fernando Abad) to the Pirates (for cash) to the Mariners all in a span of roughly 11 months.

It’s not hard to see the appeal of Light, who runs his fastball up to the upper 90s and averages nearly 95 mph on the pitch. He’s had no trouble missing bats in the minors and turned in a tantalizing 2.37 ERA with 9.9 K/9 against 4.5 BB/9 in 38 Triple-A frames last season. However, control problems have plagued the hard-throwing Light throughout his career (63 walks in 99 Triple-A innings), and he’s posted particularly unremarkable numbers in Triple-A this season. Through 28 innings between the Triple-A affiliates for the Pirates and Mariners, Light has a 4.82 ERA with a greatly diminished 6.4 K/9 rate and a still-problematic 5.8 BB/9 rate.

Seattle has tried twice with no satisfaction, picking up MN rejects

First Fien, then Light.

have to wonder about THEIR talent evaluators.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1181
RE: Former Twins News - 7/1/2017 10:22:47 PM   
sixthwi

I was at the Brewers/Marlins game today. Vance Worley pitched. He still isn't any good and has probably put on about 30 pounds.

Post #: 1182
RE: Former Twins News - 7/1/2017 10:26:33 PM   
SoMnFan

Amazing how long some guys hold on to a job
Post #: 1183
RE: Former Twins News - 7/1/2017 10:34:02 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

More evidence how bad pitching really is overall, in MLB

Just not enough to support the wear and tear teams go through.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1184
RE: Former Twins News - 7/1/2017 10:37:03 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

More evidence how bad pitching really is overall, in MLB

Just not enough to support the wear and tear teams go through.

TRUTH
We are not the only team that cant hold leads, or gets blown out
Its a league-wide problem.
Post #: 1185
RE: Former Twins News - 7/2/2017 1:12:36 PM   
Mr. Ed

Ricky Nolasco threw a complete game shutout last night.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1186
RE: Former Twins News - 7/3/2017 10:55:26 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Ricky Nolasco threw a complete game shutout last night.

His next outing he will probably throw a two inning gasoline fire.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1187
RE: Former Twins News - 7/18/2017 11:48:21 AM   
SoMnFan

Happy Birthday Torii Hunter!
Love your work on the broadcasts my man.
Post #: 1188
RE: Former Twins News - 7/20/2017 10:47:00 AM   
Mr. Ed

Alex Meyer combo 1 hitter for LAA Wednesday.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1189
RE: Former Twins News - 7/20/2017 11:05:19 AM   
djskillz

quote:

Alex Meyer combo 1 hitter for LAA Wednesday.

Kid's starting to harness everything. It almost always takes these extremely tall/lanky guys a long time to be what they'll be because their deliveries are so tough to repeat. Look at Randy Johnson, or Andrew Miller.

Not that it's saying a lot, but a lot of people believe he's already the Angels' best pitcher. Another one we likely messed up on, like a lot of us thought. Uggh.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1190
RE: Former Twins News - 8/2/2017 12:12:39 AM   
David Levine

Torii about to be a grandpa.

Cool reveal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXRxRf0lzek/
Post #: 1191
RE: Former Twins News - 8/2/2017 12:17:43 AM   
SoMnFan

Very cool
Post #: 1192
RE: Former Twins News - 8/2/2017 10:55:49 AM   
twinsfan

The celebration seemed chauvinistic.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1193
RE: Former Twins News - 8/2/2017 3:31:59 PM   
SoMnFan

Well, there's no pro women's baseball league currently, so .....
Post #: 1194
RE: Former Twins News - 8/7/2017 9:10:50 AM   
sixthwi

Don Baylor passed away today.

Post #: 1195
RE: Former Twins News - 8/7/2017 10:00:42 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

Don Baylor passed away today.

Way too young at 68....I heard Daren Daulton died at 55 from brain cancer recently too.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1196
RE: Former Twins News - 8/7/2017 2:17:50 PM   
Lynn G.

It was fun to see Justin Morneau participating in the Wiffle Ball game ahead of the Saints game this weekend. I suppose he maintains a home here because he married a local woman when he played for the Twins.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1197
RE: Former Twins News - 8/13/2017 5:29:29 PM   
Steve Lentz

Brian Duensing: The unsung hero of Cubs bullpen
By Tony Andracki August 10, 2017 3:30 PM
1 Comment

Brian Duensing thought he was being punked.

But there was no Ashton Kutcher or hidden cameras.

The defending champions really were going hard after Duensing on the free agent market over the winter.

"I asked my agent, 'What are we missing? I don't understand,'" Duensing said on this week's CubsTalk Podcast. "He said, 'Hey, when teams want somebody, they go after him.' I said, 'Alright, they must know something that I don't.'"

And they did.

The Cubs front office was passionate about going out and getting Duensing as a veteran left-handed option in the bullpen.

"I know our scouts in the offseason felt really strongly about him," Joe Maddon said. "Coming into this season, that's all I heard about. Our guys loved Brian Duensing."

Duensing is a diamond in the rough, a guy who entered the winter with a 4.13 and 1.38 WHIP in 662.2 career innings, striking out an average of 5.9 hitters per nine innings.

This season, the 34-year-old has a 2.45 ERA, 1.09 WHIP and has nearly doubled his strikeout rate to 10.2 batters per nine innings.

"A lot of swings and misses — I don't know what that's about, to be honest," Duensing said. "I really don't know what's going on there. Just things are working really well right now and hopefully they continue."

Duensing had a stretch of 16.1 scoreless innings going before giving up a run and taking the loss Wednesday in San Francisco.

It all looks legit, too. Duensing's FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) and xFIP (expected FIP) are at 2.99 and 3.34, respectively, meaning the peripheral numbers support his breakout season.

Based on FanGraphs' WAR, Duensing (0.7) is tied with Mike Montgomery and Koji Uehara as the second-best Cubs reliever behind only Wade Davis (0.9). Hector Rondon (0.5 WAR), Pedro Strop (0.5) and Carl Edwards Jr. (0.4) are further down that list.

Duensing admitted feeling a little unsure of himself when he first joined the Cubs, as he didn't want to be the guy not producing on a team vying for its second straight World Series. He battled a back injury and started the year on the disabled list before posting an 8.10 ERA in seven April games.

But since then, his ERA is at 1.54 with only 32 hits in 41 innings.

"When he started out this year, I was getting to know him, he was getting to know us," Maddon said. "He's really quiet on the surface, but an ingratiating, under-the-surface fellow. He's got a great personality.

"I wanna believe the way we do things has permitted him to be himself. And I think because of that, you're seeing the best side of him pitching-wise."

Duensing raved about the Cubs' pitching infrastructure, giving credit to pitching coach Chris Bosio, catching/gameplanning coach Mike Borzello and bullpen coach Lester Strode.

He's also fit in seamlessly with his teammates, who are doing everything they can to help keep Duensing going strong.

Even telling him he stinks.

"He's asked us not to say anything good about him," Davis said. "We keep telling him his stuff is no good and he stinks. He doesn't want to hear none of it, which is good. That's how you should think.

"People don't wanna hear they're doing good. Just to keep him away from it. You always wanna be able to live between both [good and bad] thoughts."

The Cubs bullpen has been under scrutiny lately with some late meltdowns that have helped to hand games away. But with Uehara on the disabled list and Davis and Edwards still searching for consistency, Duensing has been the unsung hero the Cubs bullpen has needed.

Even if nobody's really noticed.

"The other day, I walked out with Addison Russell," Duensing said. "Obviously, everybody's yelling for Addy and then as you walk by, you hear, 'Hey, who was that guy?'

"But it doesn't matter. That's good. If I'm doing my job, then no one knows I'm there, which is the way it should be. As long as I'm not getting recognized that's probably a good thing, so I'll take that.

"But maybe I'll start wearing my jersey out in public or something. I think I'm one of the most generic-looking human beings of all time or something.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1198
RE: Former Twins News - 8/13/2017 5:51:08 PM   
SoMnFan

Omaha.

wow.

Likes the way they handle pitchers there.
Hmmm.

Thought any story about him would be from an independent league.
Good on him.
Post #: 1199
RE: Former Twins News - 8/14/2017 9:21:44 PM   
Mr. Ed

Seattle has been chasing after Erv

They're going to settle for Uncle Albers, who has resurfaced in the bigs yet again.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1200
Page:   <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode