Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Former Twins News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Former Twins News - 5/30/2014 10:31:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

Continue the reunion!

The Blue Jays have designated righty Bobby Korecky for assignment, MLB.com’s Gregor Chisholm reports on Twitter. His roster spot will go to top prospect Marcus Stroman, who is expected to start tomorrow for Toronto.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 151
RE: Former Twins News - 5/31/2014 12:16:26 PM   
Stacey King

Michael Cuddyer is making his first start at third base since 2010 in Saturday's game against the Indians.
Post #: 152
RE: Former Twins News - 6/2/2014 11:39:03 AM   
Stacey King

Ryan Doumit is hitting .203/.227/.281 for the Braves, and has caught only 18 innings all season.
Post #: 153
RE: Former Twins News - 6/2/2014 11:41:14 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stacey King

Ryan Doumit is hitting .203/.227/.281 for the Braves, and has caught only 18 innings all season.

The fact they got someone.....ANYONE......for Doumit was a good deal.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 154
RE: Former Twins News - 6/3/2014 9:24:50 AM   
Mr. Ed

Today, Morneau says he feels good -- as good as he has since that July evening in 2010. He doesn't overstate things, though, and laughs at the suggestion that he might be 100 percent -- which he hasn't been since his days playing junior hockey in Canada.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20140602/justin-morneau-colorado-rockies/#ixzz33aPLcpKO

Escape while you can!
Post #: 155
RE: Former Twins News - 6/3/2014 9:28:03 AM   
Mr. Ed

Four years after the initial concussion, loud noises no longer make Morneau flinch. Sharp movements don't throw him off. Morneau's mind is clear in a way that it hasn't been in years. After hours of watching video from 2009 and '10 with Weiss and Rockies hitting coach Blake Doyle, he has tweaked his swing to look like that of a much younger version of himself. The aggressiveness and instinct the concussions sapped are back, and the man who took a .306 average into June is a far cry from the person who admitted during spring training in 2012 that if things didn't improve, he'd have to give up baseball for good.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20140602/justin-morneau-colorado-rockies/#ixzz33aQ8abMb

Escape while you can!
Post #: 156
RE: Former Twins News - 6/3/2014 9:34:13 AM   
djskillz

Good stuff. So happy for him. Hopefully he can continue to rake for a while over the next few years.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 157
RE: Former Twins News - 6/3/2014 9:39:45 AM   
Mr. Ed

Sadly, should have still been in MN. But apparently it was time to go.

Mauer could have been in the OF or at 3rd.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 158
RE: Former Twins News - 6/3/2014 5:56:41 PM   
Steve Lentz

Very few wanted Morneau here anymore. I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard he was done. I find it funny how most everyone (including myself) puts a high value on RBI's and Morneau led the team in them but was done???

< Message edited by Steve Lentz -- 6/3/2014 5:58:22 PM >

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 159
RE: Former Twins News - 6/4/2014 9:46:41 AM   
Dave E

I'm happy for Morneau, but can't fault the Twins for letting him go. It had been three plus years since the concussion; whatever he was doing here just wasn't working.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 160
RE: Former Twins News - 6/4/2014 9:54:22 AM   
djskillz

It's true. Colorado's doctors probably realized that they should start examining/treating his head. Twins were probably working on an ankle or something.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 161
RE: Former Twins News - 6/4/2014 10:02:21 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

It's true. Colorado's doctors probably realized that they should start examining/treating his head. Twins were probably working on an ankle or something.

Removed a rib
Set his ankle four times
Performed three TJ procedures
Still didn't seem to clear his head.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 162
RE: Former Twins News - 6/4/2014 11:03:49 AM   
Stacey King

Former MLB manager helps Fort Myers Miracle

A baseball Hall of Famer made good on a 37-year-old promise this spring training at a Fort Myers restaurant.

In 1977, future Baltimore Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo was summoned from Triple-A Tacoma to the Minnesota Twins and was hitting in front of Rod Carew.

Carew, who had won six American League batting titles and would go on to win one more in his Hall of Fame career, had 99 RBI and never had finished with 100 in a season.

Twins manager Gene Mauch pulled Perlozzo aside and told him how to hit the opposing pitcher's fastball.

"He calls me over and tells me that after I went 0-for-3," Perlozzo said. "Then he says, 'Now go up there and hit a triple.'"

Sure enough, Perlozzo hit the ball off the left-field wall for a triple. Carew drove him home for his 100th RBI, the only time Carew would have that many in a season.

"Call me next year when you make the team, and we're going to get dinner," Carew told Perlozzo. "You're going to get champagne, the whole thing."

Instead, almost four decades passed. So did a lifetime of professional baseball memories for Perlozzo, who this past offseason rejoined the Twins — the franchise that signed him out of George Washington University — as a roving minor league baserunning and infield instructor.

"I have really enjoyed it so far," said Perlozzo, whose baseball resume has meandered across teams in 17 cities and two countries – he played in Japan in 1980 – plus even more if you count his travels this season throughout the Twins minor league system.

Perlozzo, who will be on hand for the 7:05 p.m. Fort Myers Miracle game tonight at Hammond Stadium, will leave town Thursday. He has planned stops in Cedar Rapids, Iowa; New Britain, Conn.; and Rochester, N.Y., before returning to Fort Myers at the end of the month for five more Miracle games.

"He's managed in the big leagues," Miracle manager Doug Mientkiewicz said. "He's been around a long time, and he has a lot of knowledge. The players had a really good spring training with him, not only infield-wise but baserunning-wise. For me, I'm able to bounce a lot of things off him. We're lucky to have him."

Perlozzo managed in the minor leagues for the New York Mets for most of the 1980s. In 1986, the Mets summoned Perlozzo to the big-league club in time for the National League pennant chase.

"I was there for the clinching," Perlozzo said. "You remember when they charged that field? It was bedlam.

"I remember (pitching coach) Mel Stottlemyre telling me to take off your hat, and then we've got to go and get Doc (Dwight Gooden). Sure enough, that last out was made, and I took but two steps out of the dugout, and someone hit me on the top of the head coming out of the dugout.

"By the time I looked up, the only person I could see was (future Hall of Fame catcher) Gary Carter. I just buried my face into his chest and grabbed him and said, 'Come on, Gary, let's get out of here.'"

Perlozzo received a World Series ring. He received one in 1990 as well, having served on manager Lou Piniella's staff with the Cincinnati Reds.

Prior to the 1996 season, Perlozzo asked Piniella for permission to leave that staff for Davey Johnson's Baltimore Orioles. Perlozzo's father, Nick, was dying of lung cancer, and the son wanted to spend time with his father, who died in September of that year in Maryland.

That move led Perlozzo on a path to becoming the 39th man to manage the Baltimore Orioles. He had a 122-164 record (.427 winning percentage) from 2005-07.

"We didn't have enough pitching," Perlozzo said. "We had Melvin Mora at third, Miguel Tejada at short, Brian Roberts at second, Kevin Millar at first.

"We just didn't have enough pitching. When you're in the American League East, and you're playing the Yankees 18 times and the Red Sox 18 times, and that's when the Yankees were the real Yankees and the Red Sox were the real Red Sox. That made for a real tough task. I wish the situation would have been a little different in Baltimore, where I could have stuck around a little longer and got things right. I wish I had a little bit more time. It was just a tough situation."

Since then, Perlozzo has coached with the Mariners and Phillies. He spent last summer without a job for the first time in a long time.

"I enjoyed it," said Perlozzo, 63 and a Tampa resident during the offseason. "I had gone 40-some years with the grind out there. At the end of the year, I said, 'You know what. I probably should try something one more time.'"

PERLOZZO AT A GLANCE

• Who: Sam Perlozzo

• What: Former Baltimore Orioles manager, in town today with the Fort Myers Miracle as a roving minor league coach for the Minnesota Twins

• Minor league playing career: Played for affiliates in Fort Lauderdale, Dubuque, Iowa, Reno, Nev., Orlando, Tacoma, Wash., Toledo, Ohio and Hawaii

• Big-league playing career: Minnesota Twins (1977) and San Diego Padres (1979)

• Japanese League: Played for Yakult in 1980. Made $60,000, more than the MLB minimum salary of $21,000

• Minor league coaching career: New York Penn League (1982), Lynchberg, Tenn. Mets (1983), Jackson Mets (1984-85), Tidewater (1986)

• Big-league coaching career: New York Mets (1987), Cincinnati Reds (1990), Seattle Mariners (1993-95), Baltimore Orioles (1996-2005)

• Big-league managing career: Orioles (2005-07)
Post #: 163
RE: Former Twins News - 6/4/2014 12:15:54 PM   
Stacey King

Span 2013-14: .277/.325/.380
Gomez 2013-14: .292/.353/.524

Go-Go made the All-Star team last year, won a Gold Glove, finished ninth in the MVP voting. He's been even better this year. Span has never made an All-Star team, never won a Gold Glove, never drawn even a 10th-place vote in the MVP balloting. And he's two years older than Gomez.

There's been speculation already that the Nationals will decline Span's $9 million option for 2015. The Brewers aren't letting Gomez get away.
Post #: 164
RE: Former Twins News - 6/4/2014 12:16:04 PM   
Mr. Ed

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Mackey_Turns_out_the_Twins_were_right_about_Carlos_Gomez_Kind_of060314

Escape while you can!
Post #: 165
RE: Former Twins News - 6/4/2014 12:46:32 PM   
djskillz

And while his tools are a little less than Gomez, the Twins are repeating the mistake on Hicks right now.

Post #: 166
RE: Former Twins News - 6/6/2014 4:01:03 PM   
Stacey King

a santana setback

Johan Santana hurt himself when retrieving a ball that hit him. Felt something is his Achilles. Being checked out in Sarasota.
Post #: 167
RE: Former Twins News - 6/7/2014 6:45:07 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

a santana setback

Johan Santana hurt himself when retrieving a ball that hit him. Felt something is his Achilles. Being checked out in Sarasota.

Orioles hurler Johan Santana has torn his achilles tendon and will miss the season, reports Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (Twitter links). Baltimore had signed Santana to a minor league deal that included a $3MM base salary and up to $5.05MM in incentives.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 168
RE: Former Twins News - 6/7/2014 11:28:31 AM   
David Levine

I miss GoGo.

Even when he wasn't playing well, he was the one Twin that I never wanted to miss seeing an AB.
Post #: 169
RE: Former Twins News - 6/7/2014 12:26:07 PM   
ewen21

quote:

And while his tools are a little less than Gomez, the Twins are repeating the mistake on Hicks right now.

You keep bringing Gomez into the Hicks discussion yet your fail to acknowledge a several of pertinent facts/issues:

*Gomez was aged 21 to 23 while he was a Twin, Aaron Hicks will be 25 in October.
*At age 21 Gomez was in the big leagues. At age 21 Hicks was in Fort Myers hitting .242
*For as bad as Gomez was offensively he was not nearly as bad as Hicks has been
*The Twins couldn't get anyone comparable to JJ Hardy if they were to trade him today
*Gomez was a ten cent head but no one never questioned his effort and passion for the game

Please don't bring up Gomez when talking about Hicks. It is not the same thing. Also, please don't assume I bitched and moaned when Gomez was traded. I was ecstatic that the Twins got Hardy for him. It was the right trade to make at that time. The Twins needed stability in the infield and getting Hardy for Gomez was a mini coup at that time. Good for Gomez and his accomplishments but let's not pretend Hicks is on a similar trajectory.
Post #: 170
RE: Former Twins News - 6/7/2014 8:18:01 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

a santana setback

Orioles hurler Johan Santana has torn his achilles tendon and will miss the season, reports Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (Twitter links). Baltimore had signed Santana to a minor league deal that included a $3MM base salary and up to $5.05MM in incentives.

Wow, is he unlucky or what.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 171
RE: Former Twins News - 6/7/2014 8:20:41 PM   
Jeff Allen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

quote:

You keep bringing Gomez into the Hicks discussion yet your fail to acknowledge a several of pertinent facts/issues:

*Gomez was aged 21 to 23 while he was a Twin, Aaron Hicks will be 25 in October.
*At age 21 Gomez was in the big leagues. At age 21 Hicks was in Fort Myers hitting .242
*For as bad as Gomez was offensively he was not nearly as bad as Hicks has been
*The Twins couldn't get anyone comparable to JJ Hardy if they were to trade him today
*Gomez was a ten cent head but no one never questioned his effort and passion for the game

Please don't bring up Gomez when talking about Hicks. It is not the same thing. Also, please don't assume I bitched and moaned when Gomez was traded. I was ecstatic that the Twins got Hardy for him. It was the right trade to make at that time. The Twins needed stability in the infield and getting Hardy for Gomez was a mini coup at that time. Good for Gomez and his accomplishments but let's not pretend Hicks is on a similar trajectory.

Exactly. It was a good trade getting Hardy...the mistake was letting Hardy go for nothing. Horrible decision that everyone could see coming.

Anyone saying that letting Hunter, Ortiz, Cuddyer, Morneau etc. leave is purely hindsight. The Twins made decent baseball decision in every case. The Hardy trade was the one that was terrible. Speed in the middle infield...blah.
Post #: 172
RE: Former Twins News - 6/8/2014 1:28:04 AM   
McMurfy

Pat Neshek is having a nice season in St Louis.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 173
RE: Former Twins News - 6/8/2014 1:28:56 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Very few wanted Morneau here anymore. I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard he was done. I find it funny how most everyone (including myself) puts a high value on RBI's and Morneau led the team in them but was done???

I'll give you that one, but you also never worried about Mauer either.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 174
RE: Former Twins News - 6/8/2014 8:07:27 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

I'll give you that one, but you also never worried about Mauer either.

Not a bit worried until just recently. I understand that injuries can limit production, but he's supposed to be completely healthy and rested? Regarding Mormeau it did seem with Mauer moving to 1st that it might be time to move on. I just never believed he was done and knew we would miss his RBI production.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode