Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Players and prospects III

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  168 169 [170] 171 172   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/16/2015 3:16:45 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Smalley was talking about Duffey and noted that when he struck out Martinez the other night with his curveball, Martinez rarely K's and was frozen with Duffey's breaking pitch.

I don't see how scouts rate his curve ball as slightly above average.

I doesn't bend like Blyleven's?

Smalley said the big difference was Blyleven's was a harder curve or more velocity....both have sharp late breaks but Duffey's actually curved more.

I think because his curve is slower, batters can pick up the spin better than they could with Blyleven's curve.

I don't know if Roy is correct but I trust his analysis more than my own.

I do know that Duffey's curve is pretty impressive.

IMO Duffey is the next Bert Blyleven. JMO.
Post #: 4226
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/16/2015 7:49:29 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Smalley was talking about Duffey and noted that when he struck out Martinez the other night with his curveball, Martinez rarely K's and was frozen with Duffey's breaking pitch.

I don't see how scouts rate his curve ball as slightly above average.

I doesn't bend like Blyleven's?

Smalley said the big difference was Blyleven's was a harder curve or more velocity....both have sharp late breaks but Duffey's actually curved more.

I think because his curve is slower, batters can pick up the spin better than they could with Blyleven's curve.

I don't know if Roy is correct but I trust his analysis more than my own.

I do know that Duffey's curve is pretty impressive.

IMO Duffey is the next Bert Blyleven. JMO.

Wow.... needed to quote this for emphasis. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about Bert's career as a Pitcher has to shake their head at this quote.
Post #: 4227
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/16/2015 8:11:15 PM   
twinsfan

1 lb northern. Hammerhead.
Post #: 4228
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/16/2015 8:53:01 PM   
Mr. Ed

5-0 finals opening win for CRapids

Jorge WP 6IP 4H/2BB/4K
Bard 2IP 5K
LeBlanc IP H/2K

Corcino 1-3/double/BB/2RBI, Gordon 2-5/R/SB, Valera 2-5/R, Murphy 1-3/BB/R/2RBI

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4229
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/16/2015 8:58:28 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

1 lb northern. Hammerhead.

Was thinking more sheepshead, but, yeah .....
Post #: 4230
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 9:38:38 AM   
McMurfy

Some of my best memories were when somebody would hook a huge fish from the dock, everyone would run down, it usually ended up being a 10lb Dogfish.

Matt caught a 10lb Dogfish with that fishing trip

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 4231
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 9:57:35 AM   
twinsfan

Why does fishing get so much better in September? More times than not I would get skunked in 3 hours of fishing this summer. Then over Labor Day weekend we were out for only an hour and a half, and I caught 4 northerns - which is really good for me. One of them was a nice 30-incher (6 pounds?). Seems to happen every September. Mid-summer fishing is horrible.
Post #: 4232
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 10:06:00 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Why does fishing get so much better in September? More times than not I would get skunked in 3 hours of fishing this summer. Then over Labor Day weekend we were out for only an hour and a half, and I caught 4 northerns - which is really good for me. One of them was a nice 30-incher (6 pounds?). Seems to happen every September. Mid-summer fishing is horrible.

Playoff fever, perhaps?
Post #: 4233
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 10:08:05 AM   
McMurfy

A lot less food supply under the ice, and the fish know ice is coming so they start eating more in anticpation of that.

The equivalent is humans at Movie Theaters. Before the movies it's Fat City and long lines, once it starts it's ghost towns and free popcorn

Post #: 4234
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 10:09:10 AM   
McMurfy

Kind of cool seeing a fishing report from twinsfan.

Post #: 4235
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 10:14:32 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

We need a fishing thread. Maybe I can learn something from Murf.
Post #: 4236
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 11:31:13 AM   
MDK

quote:

quote:

The Walleye bite is best when the lake turns over in the fall.

Which is some really cool stuff regarding density and thermoclines.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 4237
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 11:41:27 AM   
twinsfan

I just realized it's a hammerhandle, not a hammerhead. Oops!
Post #: 4238
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 11:43:55 AM   
twinsfan

Q: It seems like there are a lot of small hammer-handle pike where I fish. Is this true across Minnesota?

A: DNR sampling and angler catch reports show that northern pike populations differ greatly in various regions of the state. In the northeast, pike are present in relatively low numbers and relatively large sizes. They grow slowly there but can reach trophy sizes due to limited fishing pressure across a large number of lakes.

In southern Minnesota, pike are less abundant and don't reproduce as well as in the north, but they grow fast. Southern Minnesota has high fishing pressure, though, and pike are often harvested before they can grow to large sizes.

The north-central area is plagued by too many small pike (under 22 inches). There is moderate to high fishing pressure with high harvest of large and medium size pike. Pike grow slowly here, and a lot of small hammer-handles is the result.

DNR fisheries is exploring the idea of a zone concept where northern pike regulations could be customized to best meet the different management objectives for each zone. Such an approach could protect large pike in the northeast, increase pike populations in the south and eventually solve the problem of too many small pike in north-central Minnesota. To learn more, and to comment on the pike zone concept, visit www.mndnr.gov/pike.
Post #: 4239
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 11:47:25 AM   
twinsfan

The “hammer-handle” northern pike Minnesota is trying to combat with its proposal to implement zone-specific regulations aren’t much of a problem in North Dakota these days because of the abundance of “new” lakes with rich forage bases, the state’s top fisheries official says.

Greg Power, fisheries chief for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department in Bismarck, said the wet cycle in the past 20 years has created dozens of new lakes -- especially north and east of the Missouri River -- that once were little more than wetlands.

“These are highly productive wetlands, and there are so many groceries out in these sloughs -- salamanders, frogs, minnows, fatheads and perch -- so these fish grow fast,” Power said.

In biological terms, these are “eutrophic” lakes rich in nutrients, Power said. By comparison, he said, many of the north-central Minnesota lakes experiencing hammer-handle pike problems are “mesotrophic” lakes that are clearer and not as well-nourished.

Power said North Dakota lakes most apt to have hammer-handle pike are smaller reservoirs, especially west of the Missouri River.

“They don’t experience what these natural lakes are doing, and sometimes the groceries aren’t as abundant,” Power said. “If we have (hammer-handles), that’s where it’s going to be.”

Power said pike in the new natural lakes generally top out at about 10 pounds, and the department receives few complaints about hammer-handle fish because so many anglers target walleyes or perch, even though the northern pike is North Dakota’s state fish.

To promote pike fishing, North Dakota implemented a five-fish limit a few years ago and released how-to videos and brochures on removing those pesky Y-bones anglers hate. It’s worked in localized areas, especially in places such as Emmons, McIntosh and Logan counties, Power said, but overall, pike remain an overlooked species.

Surveys have shown 82 percent of North Dakota anglers choose walleyes as their favorite species.

“In North Dakota, it’s ‘walleye, walleye, walleye,’ so people don’t fret too much about pike populations,” Power said. “It’s unfortunate, because we have some phenomenal fisheries out there that are almost untouched.”

Power said the department has discussed implementing a “one-over” regulation for northern pike on lakes known to produce trophy fish. That would limit anglers to only one pike over a certain size, say, 15 pounds, Power said.

“That only applies to maybe Devils Lake or the Missouri River System, where if you know what you’re doing, you could catch your five pike and have 80 pounds of pike easily,” Power said. “And some people have asked, ‘Do you really need that much?’ ”

Hammer-handles, though, aren’t much of an issue.

“It used to be, those (darn) hammer-handles broke me off, talking about those 16-inch skinny pike,” Power said. “Now, they say that (darn) pike, but now that pike is 5 to 10 pounds. Same complaint, but the fish are bigger.”
Post #: 4240
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 11:49:34 AM   
Mr. Ed

Chattanooga lost the first game of the AA Southern League finals, 7-2

Walker 1-3/double/BB/R, Stu 1-3/double/BB/R/RBI
Baxendale LP 5IP 6H/5R/BB/4K/2HR
Williams IP H/2R/2BB/3K
Lee 2IP 2H

Both CRapids and Chattanooga play Thursday night.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4241
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 12:18:43 PM   
sixthwi

So is a hammer-handle a player or a prospect???

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 4242
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 1:25:03 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Oldest son is part of a growing fishing project "up nort"
Started as a hobby by one of his bosses/friends, has grown quickly into something huge.
So, at this point, me telling him as a kid .... "Fishing won't pay your bills, son". Is making me look like a liar. Again.
Post #: 4243
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 1:35:47 PM   
McMurfy

Good stuff Matty,
As a kid in Minnesota, with a Dad who only fished for Walleyes, the Northern saved many an otherwise fishless day.

I always liked tying on a big old sucker under a big old bobber off the dock and going after a big fish.

Look out the cabin window and see that rod doubled over, good times.

Post #: 4244
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 2:09:35 PM   
MDK

I am jealous....going on the 5th summer owning a cabin on the lake and rarely do I get to fish there. Too many other projects to work on. And of course, I don't have time in the spring or the fall.....only in the hottest part of the summer. I hate an academic calendar.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 4245
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 8:16:36 PM   
Mr. Ed

MW finals tied at 1

4 run 7th did in CRapids 4-1

Murphy 2-4/triple/RBI, Paul 1-4/double/R, Gordon 1-3/E

Gibbons LP 6IP(faced 4 in the 7th) 5H/4R/2R/BB/4K
Landa 2IP 2-2 IRS H/BB/3K

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4246
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 9:00:55 PM   
Mr. Ed

Read between the lines. Berrios is a max effort guy, so they figgered he'd get hurt pitching more.

After working 142 innings this season for Class A Cedar Rapids, Dominican right-hander Felix Jorge put up 13 1/3 more in the Midwest League playoffs, winning both outings with a combined 1.35 earned run average.

How does the slender pitcher do it?

“Same way Ervin Santana does it,” Twins general manager Terry Ryan said Thursday. “Same body. He’s lean but he’s athletic. Very good mechanics. He got to right to where we wanted him. Perfect.”

Not quite five months older than Jose Berrios, who was shut down at 166 1/3 innings at Triple-A, Jorge is listed at 6-foot-2 and 170 pounds. Berrios, listed at 2 inches shorter, was allowed to increase his innings total by 19 percent over 2014.

Jorge? He went up by 48 percent over the 105 he threw for Cedar Rapids and rookie-level Elizabethton in 2014.

“That’s all right,” Ryan said. “That’s good. He doesn’t use any energy to pitch. He just barely breaks a sweat. Those types of guys, it’s easy to let them go because he doesn’t even look like he’s working hard.”

Jorge also had a stint at extended spring training after his miserable start to last season, so that cuts into the percentage increase somewhat. He rebounded to post a 2.67 ERA this year, including the playoffs.

“He’s just one of those guys,” Ryan said. “He’s never had any setbacks. Every guy is a little different when you evaluate workload. He’s a lot like Ervin Santana. He throws like him, he looks like him. His body is the same. They have a knack.”

Still just 21, Jorge must be added to the 40-man roster in November or he would be exposed to the Rule 5 draft. He signed for $400,000 in February 2011.

Briefly

–Third baseman Trey Cabbage, a fourth-round pick in June out of a Rutledge, Tenn., high school, was left off the instructional league roster due to a minor back strain that kept him out after mid-August. Signed for $760,000, Cabbage struck out 37 times in 119 at-bats for rookie-level Elizabethton and slugged just .269. He also made six errors in 21 games.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4247
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/17/2015 11:01:54 PM   
David Levine

Aaron Gleeman@AaronGleeman 1h1 hour ago
Twins prospect and Southern League MVP Max Kepler has two homers, including grand slam, in the AA playoffs tonight.
Post #: 4248
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/18/2015 6:30:28 AM   
sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Aaron Gleeman@AaronGleeman 1h1 hour ago
Twins prospect and Southern League MVP Max Kepler has two homers, including grand slam, in the AA playoffs tonight.

Can he pitch?

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 4249
RE: Players and prospects III - 9/18/2015 6:40:47 AM   
Mr. Ed

Chattanooga won 6-1 to even the series at 1-1

Kepler 2-4/Bb/2HRs/5RBI, Wilkerson 2-4/R, Meneses 2-3/BB

Wheeler WP 7IP 3H/R/3BB/5K
Burdi IP H/BB/2K
Chargois IP BB/K

Both series are off Friday.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4250
Page:   <<   < prev  168 169 [170] 171 172   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  168 169 [170] 171 172   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode