Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Players and prospects III

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  174 175 [176] 177 178   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Players and prospects III - 1/14/2016 8:19:22 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

@1500ESPN_Reusse
Twins didn't have "room'' to protect Zack Jones on 40-man. My response to that is always the same: "Give me a pencil.''

Reusse can be a pompous ass but sometimes he's spot on.

He is like Souhan. When he sticks to Captain Obvious bullet points, he is on the mark. If there is any complexity to the issue he stakes out an uninformed position and goes into full blown pompous ass mode to defend it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4376
RE: Players and prospects III - 1/14/2016 8:24:43 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: wethrock

Update on the AA status of the new Hartford stadium that the NewBritain Rockcats would be moving into April 2016: refresher course: NewBritain owner suddenly announced in Summer 2014 that he would move NewBritain to a new site in Hartford for April 2016.
Lots of confusion and anger here over the methods used by the owner. Results: attendance starts dropping and Twins move their affiliation to Chattanooga for 2015 (and Colorado replaces Twins in NBritain).
--Now, it's January 2016: stadium costs are $10 million over budget; some stadium features are already eliminated and all work has stopped while various government officials argue over what to do. It's now announced that the Hartford YardGoats (tne new name for the RockCats) will play at least their first 35 games on the road until the stadium becomes usable.
--So, Twins were very smart to pull out of the NewBritain situation and the very shaky business practices of the owner.

Thanks Mike for the info.Agreed, MN probably made a good move in gettingout.

35 straight road games a possibility. Wow.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4377
RE: Players and prospects III - 1/31/2016 2:33:29 PM   
Jeff Allen

Zack Jones will never amount to anything. Doesn't mean there aren't five other deadbeats on the 40-man...but for years people here think they know that Ryan is throwing away talent. Michael Restovich, Billy Bullock, Eduardo Morlan, Josmil Pinto, Sam Deduno, Anthony Slama...they never amount to anything.
Post #: 4378
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/1/2016 7:09:37 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

Zack Jones will never amount to anything. Doesn't mean there aren't five other deadbeats on the 40-man...but for years people here think they know that Ryan is throwing away talent. Michael Restovich, Billy Bullock, Eduardo Morlan, Josmil Pinto, Sam Deduno, Anthony Slama...they never amount to anything.

David Ortiz
JJ Hardy
Carlos Gomez
RA Dickey
Torii Hunter
Michael Cuddyer

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 4379
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/2/2016 9:51:35 AM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

David Ortiz
JJ Hardy
Carlos Gomez
RA Dickey
Torii Hunter
Michael Cuddyer

Pinto's career was derailed because:

a) his defense was viewed as suspect by the great player personnel evalutors, Gardy and Perkins
b) his concussion has set him back probably forever. An injury.....not because Pinto couldn't hit MLB pitchers.......an injury. Those things happen.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 4380
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/11/2016 1:43:34 PM   
Mr. Ed

Eric Farris led off for the Phillipines in 11-1 loss to Australia. Went 1 for 3 with only run for his side in WBC qualifier. #MNTwins

James "Bear Cat" Beresford went 4 for 5 w/3 RBIs and a run in Australia's 11-1 win. Luke Hughes went 1-3, BB, 2 runs in WBC qualifier.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4381
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/12/2016 12:13:48 AM   
SoMnFan

ESPN Insider's 2016 ranking of the top 100 prospects in baseball.

2. Byron Buxton
26. Jose Berrios
33. Max Kepler
53. Kohl Stewart
61. Tyler Jay
66. Jorge Polanco
98. Nick Gordon
Post #: 4382
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/12/2016 5:58:10 AM   
SoMnFan

ESPN Insiders 2016 ranking of MLB's minor league systems

3. Minnesota Twins
2015 rank: 2
Players in top 100 (2016): 7

If you'd asked me to guess wildly at these rankings before I started the research process that goes into them, I might have pegged Minnesota 10 spots too low, but this system is stacked. The Twins have high ceilings, they have probability, they have starters, they have relievers, they have lots of position players -- I guess they don't really have catching, if you want to pick nits. But for a team that runs low payrolls, they're in damn good shape.
Post #: 4383
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/12/2016 7:49:50 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

3. Minnesota Twins

If you'd asked me to guess wildly at these rankings before I started the research process that goes into them, I might have pegged Minnesota 10 spots too low, but this system is stacked. The Twins have high ceilings, they have probability, they have starters, they have relievers, they have lots of position players -- I guess they don't really have catching, if you want to pick nits. But for a team that runs low payrolls, they're in damn good shape.

Reads like one of Skilz posts Have a great day D

Thanks for the info Sir!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4384
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/12/2016 9:26:41 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

3. Minnesota Twins

Reads like one of Skilz posts Have a great day D

Thanks for the info Sir!

How many jobs does Skilz have?
Post #: 4385
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 1:23:36 PM   
Stacey King

Twins’ Landa Stays Grounded

January 30, 2016 by Phil Miller

MINNEAPOLIS—
The quality that may help righthander Yorman Landa reach the majors is most evident, the Twins say, when he’s getting belted. Say, when he gives up a home run.

OK, bad example. Landa doesn’t give up home runs.

“He’s got a really heavy ball, and it stays in the park,” vice president for player personnel Mike Radcliff said. “I’ve watched him a lot, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen” him surrender a homer.

Not many have. The 21-year-old Venezuelan, who signed in September 2010, has allowed just four home runs in his five pro seasons and 181 innings, never more than one in a season. It’s a talent that intrigues the Twins almost as much as Landa’s 97 mph fastball.

“He’s played in some small ballparks, and his control is still an issue,” Radcliff said, “but even when he was a starter (in 2011-13), he didn’t give up home runs. That’s huge for a young kid.”

The 21-year-old Landa doesn’t act young. He rarely lets mistakes snowball into big innings, Radcliff said, because “he’s exceptionally calm on the mound, very unemotional. He doesn’t get bothered by setbacks, and that’s become part of his résumé.”

Landa also missed big chunks of the past three seasons with injury. He needed shoulder surgery in 2014, ending his season after just two months. The Twins’ goal in 2015 was to just get him healthy. Though it took awhile, Landa touched the high 90s late in the season and threw his slider for strikes.

By striking out 31 in 27 innings at low Class A Cedar Rapids, Landa convinced Twins scouts that “he could move up in a hurry,” Radcliff said.

The Twins added Landa to the 40-man roster in November, “and that’s a pretty good indicator of our expectation for him. He’s much closer than people think.”
Post #: 4386
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 1:25:54 PM   
Stacey King

Strong Gets New Start With Twins

January 29, 2016 by Walter Villa

MINNESOTA—
Lefthander Mike Strong got married, had his first child, bought his first house and changed organizations—twice—all in the span of six weeks this offseason.

Two days after his family moved to Oklahoma in early December, Strong learned he had been removed from the Brewers’ 40-man roster. Two hours later, the Marlins claimed him on waivers.

About a week later, the Marlins designated him for assignment, and Strong was off again, this time to his hometown Twins.

“I’m going to miss the Brewers. I was there five years,” said Strong, 27, “but I’m looking forward to a new start.”

Strong is from Afton, Minn., and went to high school in Stillwater, Minn. He has a fastball that sits in the low 90s and a curve that ranges in the upper 70s. Over the past two seasons, he has added a changeup that averages 85 mph.

“His fastball and breaking ball can be very effective if he keeps it over the plate,” Twins general manager Terry Ryan told BA correspondent Mike Berardino. “And he’s lefthanded, which is always helpful, certainly in our case.”

He received his most extensive work at the Double-A level in 2015, recording a strikeout rate of 8.9 per nine innings and 0.93 WHIP in 38 relief appearances at Huntsville.

Promoted to Triple-A Colorado Springs in August, Strong ran up a 7.16 ERA in 12 appearances. He struggled with the high altitude at his home park, and when he fell behind hitters, the ball tended to go flying.

Strong said he will be stronger for the experience, and that’s been his track record all along.

Undrafted out of high school—in large part because he stood 5-foot-9 and weighted 155 pounds—he went to Iowa Western CC and helped the program reach the Junior College World Series two years in a row.

By the time he finished his college career with two years at Oklahoma State, Strong had been drafted three times before finally signing with the Brewers as a 10th-round pick in 2011
Post #: 4387
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:02:19 PM   
Stacey King

A Secret Recovery For Melotakis

MINNEAPOLIS—Anybody could have been watching. Scouts wander in and out of camps during fall instructional league, taking a look at as many players as they can, and under normal circumstances, one might have gotten a glimpse of a high-socked lefthander firing 95-mph fastballs in Twins camp in October.

“We made sure that didn’t happen,” said Mike Radcliff, the Twins’ vice president for player personnel. “We’ve got a lot of fields down there. There’s always an empty one.”

Why the secrecy? Mason Melotakis was testing his elbow, less than a year after Tommy John surgery and just two months before he might be exposed to the Rule 5 draft. The Twins wanted the lefthander’s condition to remain a mystery, just in case.

In the end, the cloak-and-dagger workouts were unnecessary. Once Melotakis began throwing mid-90s fastballs with late movement, the team’s verdict was unanimous: We can’t risk letting this guy get away.

“It was an easy call” to put him on the 40-man roster, Radcliff said. “We’re not projecting what his stuff might be—we saw it, we know it’s back. He’s going to be a major leaguer very soon.”

Melotakis might have been in Minneapolis already, after striking out 62 batters in 63 innings at high Class A and Double-A in 2014. The Twins thought so, and assigned the former Northwestern State (La.) closer to the Arizona Fall League. But as he prepared, he felt pain in his pitching elbow. Next thing he knew, Melotakis was on an operating table, and his 2015 season was lost. The injury merely delayed, not derailed, his career.

“It’s power stuff,” Radcliff said. “He’s got a heavy fastball that’s hard to square up, and a breaking ball that’s an out pitch. He’s polished, and he’s got three plus pitches.”

The Twins intend to ease Melotakis in next season, perhaps starting again at Double-A.

“We’ll have a plan for him,” Radcliff said. “We don’t expect him to break camp with the (major league) club. But anybody can speed up the plan.”
Post #: 4388
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:29:03 PM   
Stacey King

thanks for the chat, Mike. Did Javier happen to Wander very far off your top 10?

Mike Berardino: Just missed.

Grant (NYC): How close was it between Park and Walker in your Best Power category? What was the deciding factor?

Mike Berardino: Very close. Both are pushing 80. I have yet to see Park’s power in person, but the highlights are pretty impressive.

Kelly (St Cloud, MN): Should we officially write off Meyer as a starter? Is he in your top 30?

Mike Berardino: Alex turned 26 earlier this month. It’s time for him to build some career momentum in the majors. The quickest way for him to do that is in the bullpen, where he shined at Triple-A on either side of a disappointing big-league debut. The Twins are hoping he makes a strong bid for a bullpen role out of spring training. As for the list, he slid out of the top 10 but the slide stopped right around No. 12.

Travis Blankenhorn (Home): How close was I to making the list? Is 3B my future, or do you see me making a shift?

Mike Berardino: Don’t worry, “Travis.” You made the list. Believe I turned you in at No. 27. Solid pro debut. It will be a little tricky finding enough development time at third base for you and fellow 2015 draftee Trey Cabbage, but I’m sure the Twins will make it work.

Ben (CT): What are your thoughts on Lewis Thorpe? I understand not putting him here because of TJ, but should be back by midseason and flashed impressive upside before the injury.

Mike Berardino: The Aussie lefty slid out of my top 10 last year because of concerns about his elbow (which proved legitimate). Still just 20, he had Tommy John last April and should be able to have close to a full season in 2016. Good chance he works himself back into next year’s Top 10 with a healthy return.

Dave (Minny Apples): What's the scoop on LHP Taylor Rogers? Thx

Mike Berardino: I have him at No. 14 on this year’s list, slightly higher than a year ago. He proved his durability by leading all Twins pitchers with nearly 200 innings, including the Arizona Fall League. An overbooked rotation and his history of dominance against lefties could push him into the mix for a bullpen role this spring. One thing the Twins really like about him is the way he competes. He’s not afraid to pitch inside.

Sean (Boston): Is Javier Vazquez a reasonable comparison for Berrios?
Mike Berardino: Are you sure you’re not just saying that because they’re both from Puerto Rico? Comparisons are fun but dangerous. Saw plenty of Javy during his career, which ended with the 2011 Marlins. Still can’t believe he retired when he did. He’s still just 39, by the way. Considering the dollars being thrown at starting pitchers these days, maybe he should make a comeback.

Rich (NJ): In 2915, Niko Goodrum did slightly better after his promotion to AA but his offensive numbers, particularly his power, still do not excite for a 3B prospect. Do you foresee him developing his hit tool, in particular his power, to project him as a MLB regular down the road. Thanks,

Mike Berardino: Strong makeup and still has some tools, but he didn’t make the Top 30 this year. Twins tried to make him into a super utility player at Double-A. That’s probably his best path moving forward.

Vinny (Ohio): What do you think is the ceiling for such a talented pitcher like Jose Berrios?

Mike Berardino: Have you seen those winter workout videos from the J-Olympics? Place a ceiling on that young man at your own risk. He should be a No. 2 or 3 at worst.

Jack (MN): Is defensive consistency the biggest thing keeping Jorge Polanco from getting a clear shot at the SS job? With 2B blocked by Dozier, what's his future with the organization?

Mike Berardino: Consistency is part of the problem, but mostly it’s about the arm. It plays up at second, plays down at short. We considered a 2019 Twins lineup projection that had Polanco at second and Dozier at third, but obviously the cooler head of John Manuel prevailed.

Dave (Brooklyn): Hey, Mike! Thanks for the Chat! Will Jason Adam be able to recover from the screws in his elbow in Dec. '14 and the followup procedure in May '15? When might he pitch again?

Mike Berardino: Certainly hope so. Good dude who once held a spot in the Royals’ top 10. Not sure if he’ll be ready to pitch this spring, but I’m assuming he will be.

Eastin (Louisiana): Like the Yellich/Kepler comp. What do you see as Kepler's ceiling as a big leaguer and how likely is he to reach or approach that ceiling?
Mike Berardino: Thanks. Comps are dangerous. (See earlier answer). Kepler obviously figured some things out at the plate in 2015. As long as his throwing arm cooperates, he should have the career Mike Radcliff and company envisioned when they gave him $800,000 as a German teenager.

Dave (Brooklyn): What's the timeline for Michael Cederoth's return to pitching? Is he still a Top 30 prospect?

Mike Berardino: Cederoth received consideration for the top 30 but the depth of the system pushed him into that next group (31-40). He was back working out with the Kernels by the end of last season following his undisclosed illness. He should be good to go from Day 1 this year. Long term, the question is whether he has the pitches to start or would move fastest in the bullpen. Rival scouts say his fastball lacks movement.

Frank (Chicago): Do you see Walker's plate discipline ever catching up to his power?

Mike Berardino: At this point, no, or else he’d be in this top 10.

Dave (Brooklyn): Did Jake Reed get any love in your discussions with Twins' coaches and staff? Was he considered for the Top 10?

Mike Berardino: Don’t worry, Jake From State Farm is on my radar. Blogged at TwinCities.com/Twins about my chat with him out at the Arizona Fall League, where he had another nice showing after an up-and-down first full pro season. I turned him in at No. 20.

Dave (St Paul MN): How close was SS Jermaine Palacios from your list? Can he stick at short?

Mike Berardino: I turned him in at No. 19. He can hit, but he also made 21 errors in 57 games. The jury is out on whether he’ll stay at short. I have Gordon and Vielma ranked ahead of him there.

Bednarz42 (Bloomfield, NJ): Where's Alex Meyer?

Mike Berardino: Throwing bullpens in Greensburg, Ind.

Chris (NYC): Given Buxton's struggles in the Majors and Berrios' domination in AAA, how close was the gap between the #1 and 2 spots in this list?

Mike Berardino: Buxton was the clear No. 1 — period.

Jeremy (Wisconsin): On the 20-80 scale, how much do you love shoveling snow? And also where would you put your ability to do the shoveling?

Mike Berardino: I think I’m a 60 shoveler. Very efficient, workmanlike. Don’t try to do too much. Love of shoveling? Depends on the temps, but probably 30. Haven’t had as many opportunities this winter — not that I’m complaining — so I lost valuable development time. Must be lunch break at school.

Dan (East Coast): How much concern is there over Amaurys Minier's slow development?

Mike Berardino: Turns 20 later this month. Doesn’t appear to have much defensive value, and he struggled to make contact in the Appy League. He stayed on the Top 30, but barely. He needs to get going.

Esteban (West Palm Beach): Rank the following players in five years: Nick Gordon, JP Crawford, Tim Anderson, Orlando Arcia, Trea Turner

Mike Berardino: I’ll leave that to the good folks at Baseball America.

Esteban (West Palm Beach): Has Stewart's outlook changed since drafted? Would you rather have him or Kolek in your system right now?

Mike Berardino: Have never seen Kolek pitch, but I’d still rather have Stewart. The pitches still grade out as having plus potential across the board. The declining K/9 rate is troubling, but the Twins were pleased with the way Stewart stayed healthy after an early hiccup in 2015. He pounds the zone with that sinker and gets lots of weak contact early in the count.

DR (Maryland): The Twins look like they got a steal in LaMonte Wade. Does the organization see him as a possible future big league piece?

Mike Berardino: He’s interesting. So was Max Murphy at a similar stage. Wade appears to have more upside.

Patrick (Sandpoint, Idaho): Wow, this just HAS to be a top 5 system! I mean....when an Adam Brett Walker does not make the top 10 for a third time in a row? 😉 So realistically now, a RBI machine with monster pop 4 years now....I get the K's are the stumbler here but what are your true predictions for his MLB career? Starting stud? Part time corner guy?

Mike Berardino: It’s not just the holes in his swing. The arm has become a major concern. Some view him as a DH only.

Esteban (West Palm Beach): Chances Berrios becomes the best Puerto Rican pitcher?

Mike Berardino: Ever? Let the young man reach the majors first.

Connor (Connecticut): Buxton was the top prospect last season aside from Bryant. Do you still see him there, or has Seager jumped him?

Mike Berardino: Not my call.

Bob (Boston, Massachusetts): Alex Meyer's ultimate destination: rotation, bullpen, or closer?

Mike Berardino: Long-term? I still say rotation, but he’ll have to learn to maintain his mechanics for six-plus innings at a time. To this point that has been a challenge.

Esteban (West Palm Beach): Thoughts on Byung Ho?

Mike Berardino: Look forward to covering him. Surprised they signed him that affordably, especially when you consider how everybody is looking for right-handed power.

Ricky Nolasco (Minnesota): Do I stop Jose Berrios from getting a spot in the rotation on Opening Day?

Mike Berardino: It’s not only you, Ricky. Five other guys will have a say in that.

Ringo (Octopusses Garden): Can Taylor Rodgers stick in an MLB rotation or is he just a swingman type at best?

Mike Berardino: No “D” in Rogers.

Esteban (West Palm Beach): Polanco or Santana? What's the difference between them and Florimon?

Mike Berardino: Bat.

Jeff (Duluth,Mn): Hi Mike, Thanks for all your work during and after the season. Much appreciated. Can you give us a ceiling comp for Max Kepler?

Mike Berardino: My pleasure. Thanks for reading. Went with Christian Yelich in the magazine, but that could be selling him short.

Ringo (Octopusses Garden): Can Engelb Vielma's glove make up the difference from his bat? Is he going to get the bat knocked out of his hands?

Mike Berardino: Vielma keeps getting stronger. He struggled offensively in the Venezuelan Winter League and wisely returned to Fort Myers — at the Twins’ suggestion — to work on his strength. The bat really came alive in the second half in the Florida State League.

Mike (SD): Seems to be a wave of talent from International signings coming from the lower levels. Can you elaborate on some of the better ones?

Mike Berardino: They’ll be in the Prospect Handbook. Have you ordered one yet?

John (CT): Is it premature to downgrade the future Buxton? Early projections had him as the next Trout. Is it nerves, injuries or inexperience that is affecting his performance?

Mike Berardino: Premature? Yes.

Mike (Oshkosh): What would the Twins want in return for Ricky Nolasco? How about James Shields straight-up?

Mike Berardino: Wrote about this as a potential scenario about a month ago at the winter meetings. Teams want to see Nolasco on a mound at spring training.

Mike Sixel (MN): Should I be worried that the Twins' starting DH isn't much of a prospect, or is that ranking not a ceiling one, but about control and other things? Or, are the other 6 so awesome that their starting DH can be ranked that low?

Mike Berardino: Park turns 30 in July. He’s relatively untested coming from the KBO. Many factors. I actually had him a little lower originally but the BA guys wanted to move him up.

John (Washington DC): Hey Mike, thanks for your superlative Twins coverage. I'm a native Minnesotan, but spent last week in South Florida (80°+ every day). Have you started to acclimate to Minnesota winters or appreciate the cold, or did Florida spoil you?

Mike Berardino: Thank you, sir. I enjoy the seasons after spending a total of 32 years in South Florida, which is where I was born and raised. That’s probably too many in any one place, unless that place is, say, Hawaii.

Diego (San Diego): How far out of the top 10 was Chargois?

Mike Berardino: Mid-teens. They like him a lot. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the big-league bullpen by May 1.

Michael Stern (Rochester NY): What do you see as the ultimate destination for Jay? Starter or reliever? Thanks for the chat!

Mike Berardino: They will stretch him out this year and see how it goes. Smaller frame, but the pitch mix is there and the slider is the best in the system.

Tom (Columbus, OH): I know Arcia isn't a prospect anymore, but since he finished the season in the minors (and played poorly in AAA), is he an after-thought at this point with the Twins?

Mike Berardino: Doesn’t turn 25 until May. Still a young man. Out of options, so the opportunity is there to win a corner-outfield spot opposite Sano if Buxton needs more time in Triple-A. If that doesn’t happen, Arcia probably would benefit from a change of scenery.

Michael Stern (Rochester NY): Where does Daniel Palka now rank in the Twins system. The OF they got from Ariz. has some big time power. How do the Twins view him? Thanks for the chat!

Mike Berardino: Received consideration for the top 30 but didn’t make it.

Bob Sacamento (Ft. Myers, FL): Between Stewart, Gonsalves, and Jay who has the best chance of one day challenging for a rotational spot?

Mike Berardino: Well, I ranked them Jay, Stewart, Gonsalves, so …

Ian (MPLS): Even with a bunch of promotions the last few years, this seems like a pretty strong farm system. What are your expectations for Jay this season?

Mike Berardino: Be on time. Be a good teammate. Get his work in. Take the ball every five or six days.

Mick (Sydney): Which Aussie has the best chance to play a game in the majors; Beresford, Wade, Barrie, or none of the above?

Mike Berardino: Been rooting for Beresford for years. Good bloke, as they say. Good hitter. Glad to see he re-upped with the Twins once again. Barrie, they released.

Bob Sacamento (Ft. Myers, FL): Where did Trey Cabbage land in your rankings? bottom of Top 30 or just missing?

Mike Berardino: Just missed, Bob. Back problem didn’t help. I’d expect him to make the top 30 next year.

EnergyDrink (Seoul, Korea): What do you expect to see from Byung Ho Park this season? Many Korean fans are wating for your chat.

Mike Berardino: And I am waiting for their clicks! Please tell all your friends to follow me on Twitter (@MikeBerardino), and I’ll do my best to keep them updated. As for expectations, I’d say 20-30 homers aren’t out of the question for Park, even in Year 1. He’s going to get the at-bats.

Mike (MO): Nick Burdi really seemed to improve as the season progressed and finished with a great AFL. What do you expect from him going forward and when can we expect to see him in the Twins bullpen?

Mike Berardino: Power stuff. Not far away at all.

Bjorn (Seattle, WA): Although no longer a prospect, Tyler Duffey came onto the scene as a relatively unknown to pitch to a tune of 3.10 ERA, 3.24 FIP, 8/22 K/9 in 58 IP. With a strong rookie campaign, he isn't listed in your 2019 future rotation. Is that more a nod to the players around him? What do you see Duffey becoming in the future?

Mike Berardino: Just an educated guess.

Bob Sacamento (Ft. Myers, FL): The 6'9 Johan "Flaco" Quezada touched 100 mph a few times in GCL, any mention in the back end of Top 30 or still too raw?

Mike Berardino: Too raw.

Mike Berardino: Thanks for all the questions, everybody. I have to run. If you want to continue the conversation
Post #: 4389
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:31:39 PM   
Stacey King

10. Nick Burdi, rhp

Born: Jan. 19, 1993. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 215. Drafted: Louisville, 2014 (2nd round). Signed by: Alan Sandberg.

Background: The Twins drafted Burdi out of high school in 2011 but did not sign him. They got their man in 2014, signing the second-rounder for $1.22 million after he reached the College World Series with Louisville. After being pushed to Double-A Chattanooga in 2015, he earned a July demotion after recording a 5.93 ERA over his first 30 innings. Burdi spent six weeks at high Class A Fort Myers, then returned to finish strong by recording a 1.77 ERA over 20 innings.

Scouting Report: After his rocky first half, Burdi made a concerted effort to smooth his delivery, which gets into max-effort territory. Even with a high-90s fastball, he tends to fall behind in the count when command eludes him. Getting ahead sets up Burdi’s devastating slider at 87-90 mph, which he also has learned to throw with more of a slurvy action for early strikes. He incorporated a two-seamer more down the stretch and in the Arizona Fall League, getting weak early contact on the ground, and also forced himself to polish his mid-80s changeup.

The Future: Burdi didn’t give up a run in the AFL until allowing a solo homer while closing out the championship game for Scottsdale. Back on the fast track after his first-half hiccup, he could debut at Target Field early in 2016 as the Twins seek to increase their reliever whiff rate.
Post #: 4390
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:32:32 PM   
Stacey King

9. Stephen Gonsalves, lhp

Born: July 8, 1994. B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-5. Wt.: 200. Drafted: HS—San Diego, 2013 (4th round). Signed by: John Leavitt.

Background: Gonsalves was suspended for eight games as a senior at Cathedral Catholic High and threw just 48 innings. The preseason All-American fell to the fourth round and signed with the Twins for an above-slot $700,000 bonus. He finished fourth in the minors in ERA (2.01) in 2015, which he finished at high Class a Fort Myers.

Scouting Report: Lanky and athletic with a loose arm, Gonsalves is an accomplished surfer with projection to his frame. Ticked off at returning to low Class A Cedar Rapids in 2015, he dominated the Midwest League with an 88-92 mph fastball that he can run up to 94. Willing to work inside and able to spot his fastball to both sides of the plate, Gonsalves is still working to maintain his delivery deep into outings. His spike curveball was his best secondary pitch after a June promotion to Fort Myers, but his split-changeup has a chance to be an above-average offering. He threw more sliders in 2015 but rival scouts wonder if he might need to go to a cutter due to tight wrists.

The Future: After seeing his strikeout-to-walk ratio narrow considerably in the Florida State League, Gonsalves could start back at Fort Myers in 2016 and should reach Double-A Chattanooga by midseason at the latest.
Post #: 4391
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:32:50 PM   
Stacey King

8. Kohl Stewart, rhp

Born: Oct. 7, 1994. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 208. Drafted: HS—Houston, 2013 (1st round). Signed by: Greg Runser.

Background: An accomplished high school quarterback who was recruited as the eventual successor to Johnny Manziel at Texas A&M, Stewart was taken fourth overall in 2013 and signed for $4,544,400. A type one diabetic, he saw his first two pro seasons curtailed by second-half shoulder soreness. He missed three weeks in April 2015 with elbow inflammation, but still managed to increase his career-high innings total by nearly 50 percent.

Scouting Report: Somewhat curiously, Stewart doesn’t generate nearly as many swings and misses as his pedigree suggests. His strikeout rate fell sharply for the second straight year in 2015, dipping to 4.9 per nine innings at high Class A Fort Myers, while his walk rate climbed to 3.1 per nine. Stewart increasingly relied on his low-90s, two-seam fastball, though he still can reach back for 96 mph when needed. He has been content to use his hard sinker to induce early-count groundballs. Stewart’s mid-80s slider and 12-to-6 curveball are reliable weapons but tend to produce weak contact rather than whiffs. He needs to trust his changeup more because it shows good sink and fade, and lefties hit him hard in 2015.

The Future: After behind handled with caution through his first three seasons, Stewart should open 2016 atop the rotation at Double-A Chattanooga. The Twins hope he’ll start to miss more bats as he learns more about pitch sequencing.
Post #: 4392
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:33:24 PM   
Stacey King

7. Byung Ho Park, 1b

Born: July 10, 1986. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 222. Signed: South Korea, 2015. Signed by: David Kim.

Background: Rushed to the Korean major league at age 18, Park struggled to establish himself with the LG Twins. He missed two full seasons (2007-08) to fulfill his military obligation and failed to produce until after his trade to Nexen early in 2011. He blossomed over the next four seasons into one of the most feared power hitters in Asia. The Twins surprisingly won the negotiating rights to Park by paying a $12.85 million posting fee to Nexen, then signed him for four years and $12 million.

Scouting Report: Park’s top tool is his plus power, which he showed with the first back-to-back 50-homer seasons in Korean history. Below-average as a hitter and a below-average runner, he can put on a show in batting practice and punish mistakes in games. He likes the ball out over the plate and shows power to all fields but can get beat with fastballs up and in. Originally signed as a third baseman, Park has at least an average arm and is agile enough at first base. He is considered a good teammate and has already made it clear he will tone down the bat flips that are practically expected in Korea. He has worked hard to improve his English comprehension in recent years.

The Future: Park’s former Nexen teammate Jung Ho Kang paved the way for Korean position players in the U.S. majors with his successful transition in 2015. Barring a terrible spring, Park figures to see the vast majority of his playing time at DH.
Post #: 4393
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:33:40 PM   
Stacey King

6. Jorge Polanco, ss/2b

Born: July 5, 1993. B-T: B-R. Ht.: 5-11. Wt.: 200. Signed: Dominican Republic, 2009. Signed by: Fred Guerrero.

Background: Polanco has been called to the majors four times in 2014 and 2015, though he has totaled just nine games. He grew up in San Pedro de Macoris with Miguel Sano, his teammate at various times since they were 12 years old. While Polanco plays mostly second base in the Dominican League, the Twins have given him a long look at shortstop.

Scouting Report: Some Twins people see a young Tony Fernandez at the plate, where Polanco gets the most from his lightning-quick hands. Others see more pop in his bat because he uses the whole field and has learned to punish pitches on the inner half while maintaining solid contact and walk rates. Polanco has above-average speed but still lacks basestealing instincts. He has averaged 34 errors the past two seasons since moving to shortstop, showing fairly soft hands but an average arm that strains to match the added burden of the position. His range is merely average and his play clock gets sped up, leading to unforced errors.

The Future: With second baseman Brian Dozier locked up through 2018, Polanco is blocked at his best projected position. His bat is potent enough that he could fill a super-utility role, but for now the Twins will let him play shortstop every day at Triple-A Rochester.
Post #: 4394
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:34:15 PM   
Stacey King

5. Tyler Jay, lhp

Born: April 19, 1995. B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 185. Drafted: Illinois, 2015 (1st round). Signed by: Jeff Pohl.

Background: Taken sixth overall in 2015, Jay signed for $3,889,500 as the Twins completed a four-year run of top-six picks. A reliever for all but two of his 71 career outings at Illinois, he was the Big 10 Conference pitcher of the year as a junior. A wide receiver and kick returner on the football powerhouse at Lemont (Ill.) High, Jay prides himself on taking a football mentality to the mound.

Scouting Report: Jay recorded 24 career saves for the Illini, and the Twins had visions of fast-tracking him to the majors, a la the Royals with 2014 first-rounder Brandon Finnegan. Pushed to high Class A Fort Myers, Jay struggled to a 7.56 ERA through July before striking out 13 and allowing five hits and one run in his final 10 innings. His fastball sat 92-94 mph and touched 98. Yet his best pitch is a late-breaking, wipeout slider to lefties that comes in at 88-92 mph and earns double-plus grades. Jay mixes in an above-average curveball and shows a feel for his changeup. He has surprising strength and durability, given his modest frame. He has a tremendous work ethic and an aggressive approach on the mound.

The Future: After seeing other fast-track relievers struggle to make the jump to Double-A, the Twins probably will start Jay back at Fort Myers. If he polishes his changeup, he would have the weapons to start, which should be his role at the outset of 2016.
Post #: 4395
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:34:39 PM   
Stacey King

4. Nick Gordon, ss

Born: Oct. 24, 1995. B-T: L-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 173. Drafted: HS—Orlando, 2014 (1st round). Signed by: Brett Dowdy. Video

Background: The son of former pitcher Tom Gordon and younger half-brother of Marlins second baseman Dee Gordon, Nick was drafted fifth overall in 2014 after a standout prep career in Orlando. The Florida State signee received a $3.851 million bonus as the first high school position player drafted. Low Class A Midwest League managers voted him the best defensive shortstop in the circuit in 2015.

Scouting Report: Gordon’s range is merely average, but he’s sure-handed and makes all the routine plays while flashing an above-average arm. He compensates with anticipation and smart positioning and should stay at shortstop. An average runner out of the box, Gordon is an instinctive basestealer who runs better underway. Along with excellent hand-eye coordination, he shows good plate discipline and barrel awareness, and his offense took off after the all-star break (.763 OPS) once he reined in his aggressiveness. His line-drive swing projects to add power but for now it remains confined to the gaps. He handles lefties well enough but produced just three extra-base hits against them.

The Future: Gordon should open 2016 back home in the high Class A Florida State League. He won’t turn 21 until after the season, so it’s possible he will spend another full year the same level as the Twins slowly groom their future big league shortstop.
Post #: 4396
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:35:22 PM   
Stacey King

3. Max Kepler, of/1b

Born: Feb. 10, 1993. B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 207. Signed: Germany, 2009. Signed by: Mike Radclif

ackground: Kepler singled on the final day of the 2015 season to become the first player born and raised in Germany with a big league hit. Signed for $800,000 in 2009, then a record bonus for a European position player, he has added nearly 20 pounds since signing but still carries little body fat. A strained left forearm in 2015 forced Kepler to the disabled list at high Class A Fort Myers, and shoulder weakness limited him to first base at other points. He enjoyed a breakout year regardless, claiming the Southern League MVP award.

Scouting Report: Kepler has some length to his swing but shows excellent pitch recognition and the ability to barrel the ball, no matter where it’s pitched. He projects to add more power as he learns to punish mistakes, but his gap power helped him pound out 56 extra-base hits. Some liken Kepler to Christian Yelich for his modest power numbers while showing the ability to play center field and run down balls in the gaps. His arm is accurate but opinions vary on its strength. He runs well for a big man with good instincts on the bases.

The Future: With Torii Hunter’s retirement and the trade of Aaron Hicks, Kepler has an opportunity to win a starting corner-outfield job in 2016. More likely, the Twins will send him to Triple-A Rochester for a little more seasoning, but he might not be there long.
Post #: 4397
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:35:44 PM   
Stacey King

2. Jose Berrios, rhp

Born: May 27, 1994. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 189. Drafted: HS—Bayamon, P.R., 2012 (1st round supp). Signed by: Hector Otero. Video

Background: Not only did the Twins grab Byron Buxton second overall in 2012, but at No. 32 overall they signed Berrios for $1.55 million as the highest-drafted pitcher ever from Puerto Rico. Named Twins minor league pitcher of the year in 2014 and 2015, he also started the Futures Game in both season for the World team. The Twins strongly considered inserting Berrios into a pennant race in September, even if just in a bullpen role, but ultimately decided to limit his innings.

Scouting Report: An excellent athlete who fields his position and holds runners well, Berrios tops out at 97 mph with his fastball, which typically sits 93-95 and shows late life. Throwing from a three-quarters arm slot, he sharpened his 80-82 mph curveball, varying its speed and break. His changeup is an out pitch that allows him to keep lefties in check. Berrios led the minors with 175 strikeouts while continuing to slice his walk rate. He gave up 12 homers, double his previous career high, and some worry that his fastball may lack sufficient plane.

The Future: Highly competitive and a workout fiend, Berrios should bid for a rotation spot out of spring training. It’s possible he will open the year back at Triple-A. At worst, he projects as a mid-rotation starter.
Post #: 4398
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:37:37 PM   
Stacey King

1. Byron Buxton, of

Born: Dec. 18, 1993. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 189. Drafted: HS—Baxley, Ga., 2012 (1st round). Signed by: Jack Powell.

Background: Plagued by health issues since destroying two Class A levels in 2013, Buxton encountered more of the same in 2015 shortly after making the jump from Double-A Chattanooga for his big league debut in mid-June. This time a sprained left thumb landed him on the shelf for six weeks after he slid headfirst into second base. He returned in early August but still retained his rookie status for 2016, falling two at-bats shy of the cutoff. Previously, Buxton’s two trips to the Arizona Fall League had been shortened by a strained left shoulder (2013) and a fractured finger (2014) that required minor surgery. In between AFL stints, he missed close to four months in 2014 with a sprained left wrist, including a setback after just five games at high Class A Fort Myers, followed by a season-ending concussion after just three plate appearances at Double-A New Britain. The BA High School Player of the Year in 2012 and Minor League Player of the Year in 2013, Buxton jumped onto the fast track after the Twins drafted him second overall (behind the Astros’ Carlos Correa) in 2012. They signed him for a $6 million bonus that remains the largest in franchise history. He helped Rookie-level Elizabethton win the Appalachian League title in his first pro summer.

Scouting Report: Considered one of the game’s elite prospects since his breakout 2013 season, Buxton is eager to justify that lofty reputation with similar production in the big leagues. While it’s unfair to say he flopped in his first crack at the majors, he struggled to recognize high-end breaking stuff and struck out in a club-record 21 straight games on either side of his DL stint. Twins general manager Terry Ryan openly admits he rushed Buxton due to need in center field, and the club hopes he’ll fare better in his second go-round. Using quick hands and strong wrists, he generates tremendous bat speed and keeps the bat in the zone longer than most. Throughout the minors he showed an advanced approach at the plate and good plate discipline along with power to all fields. Timed at 3.9 seconds to first base from the right side, Buxton is a top-of-the-scale runner who puts pressure on opposing defenders. However, he still must improve his bunting along with his reads and instincts. In the field, he has double-plus arm strength and range and chases down balls in both gaps with relative ease. He has become more comfortable in media settings and with teammates as he has matured.

The Future: With the retirement of Torii Hunter and the trade of Aaron Hicks, the Twins project to have two starting spots open in the 2016 outfield. Provided Buxton makes a solid showing in spring, he should be the Opening Day center fielder. If the Twins opt to play it safe and use Danny Santana in center, Buxton could open 2016 back at Triple-A Rochester. A fast start there should expedite his return engagement at Target Field. When he does return, the Twins hope it’s for good.

SCOUTING GRADES
Batting: 70
Power: 60
Speed: 80
Defense: 70
Arm: 70

Based on 20-80 scouting scale—where 50 represents major league average—and future projection rather than present tools.

< Message edited by Stacey King -- 2/14/2016 2:38:47 PM >
Post #: 4399
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:41:20 PM   
Stacey King

Minnesota Twins Top 10 Prospects

January 13, 2016 by Mike Berardino

Ending an embarrassing run of four straight seasons with 92 losses or more, the Twins chased a postseason berth until the final weekend of the 2015 season before ultimately falling short.

An 83-win debut for rookie manager Paul Molitor was encouraging on many levels and earned him a third-place showing in American League manager of the year voting. Rookie third baseman Miguel Sano, called up from Double-A Chattanooga on July 2, also finished third (behind stud shortstops Carlos Correa and Francisco Lindor) in voting for AL rookie of the year.

First-year pitching coach Neil Allen, hired from the Rays’ Triple-A Durham affiliate, guided a significant turnaround on the Twins’ big league staff, which saw rookie righthanders Tyler Duffey and Trevor May make solid contributions amid the pressure of a pennant race.

The debut season of center fielder Byron Buxton, the system’s top prospect, was less satisfying. Called up on June 14 to much fanfare, he struggled at the plate and went two months between big league at-bats after spraining his left thumb while sliding headfirst into second base.

While Sano posted a park-adjusted 146 OPS+, Buxton finished the year batting just .209 and two at-bats shy of losing his rookie eligibility.

With the retirement of Torii Hunter after a successful homecoming and the trade of 2008 first-rounder Aaron Hicks—who brought young catcher John Ryan Murphy in return from the Yankees—the floor appears open for Buxton to seize a starting job in 2016.

Flanking him in the outfield should be Eddie Rosario, who enjoyed a successful rookie season in which he led the majors in triples and fell one outfield assist shy of the overall lead.

Despite forfeiting a second-round pick in 2015 for signing free agent righthander Ervin Santana, who missed the first 80 games with a steroid suspension, scouting director Deron Johnson found value in the draft once again. Illinois lefthander Tyler Jay went to the Twins at No. 6 overall, but righthander Kyle Cody, selected in the supplemental first round, failed to sign and returned to Kentucky.

On the international market, the Twins signed 16-year-old Dominican shortstop Wander Javier for $4 million. That exceeded their previous record for an international amateur, which was $3.15 million for Sano in 2009.

The Twins also surprised many by winning the bidding ($12.85 million) for the negotiating rights to 29-year-old Korean first baseman Byung Ho Park. The Twins eventually signed Park on Dec. 1 for four years and $12 million. They plan to use him as their primary DH.

Double-A outfielder Max Kepler earned the Twins’ minor league player of the year award and made his big league debut in September. As MVP of the Southern League, he helped guide Chattanooga to the league title, long after Buxton and Sano had graduated to the majors.
Post #: 4400
Page:   <<   < prev  174 175 [176] 177 178   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  174 175 [176] 177 178   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode