Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Players and prospects III

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  175 176 [177] 178 179   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:43:35 PM   
Stacey King

Twins See More Pitching Than Throwing From Burdi

December 2, 2015 by Phil Miller
MINNESOTA—
Terry Ryan begins rolling his eyes the moment he hears the question: Is Nick Burdi still throwing 100 mph?

“He throws hard, fine. I don’t know the radar readings, because that’s not important right now,” the Twins’ general manager patiently explains. “I’m not worried about his throwing. I’m concerned about his pitching.”

And Ryan is less concerned now, after watching Burdi make sensational, if only occasional, appearances in the Arizona Fall League. The 22-year-old righthander, a former Louisville closer drafted 46th overall by the Twins in 2014, pitched five innings in the AFL’s first three weeks, and allowed just two infield singles. He struck out six, didn’t walk a batter, and impressed Ryan with his progress.

“He’s clearly started to figure it out. It was very evident, and that’s good to see,” Ryan said. “He’s got three pitches now, and they’re all quite good. His fastball is his best pitch, we all know that, but there’s not too many guys who can live on a fastball and nothing else.”

Burdi has learned that the hard way, posting a 4.15 ERA at Class A Cedar Rapids last year, and after a strong start in Fort Myers this year, slumping to a 4.53 ERA at Class AA Chattanooga. He struck out 54 at Chattanooga in 43 2/3 innings — but walked 32, too.

“It was an eye-opener for him. You’ve got to pitch, you’ve got to throw strikes, you’ve got to get ahead of hitters,” Ryan said. “He’s made some changes to do that.”

Chief among them, Ryan said, is a smoother, calmer delivery. “He’s a max-effort guy. He used to fly open and had some arc in his back,” said the Twins GM, a former scout. “You used to watch him and say, ‘Ooo, he might fall over, he puts so much into it.’ ”

The Twins worked with Burdi on smoothing out that delivery, in hopes of improving his control. “Max-effort guys can succeed, but more often than not, it’s going to affect your control and command,” Ryan said. “He’s tempered things a little bit. He’s still got the velocity, but he’s putting the ball where he wants, and he’s throwing other pitches in fastball counts.”
Post #: 4401
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:44:50 PM   
twinsfan

I can't believe we're even considering starting the season with Danny Santana as our everyday CF.
Post #: 4402
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 2:49:06 PM   
Stacey King

grooming, if not graduated to our 2016 super utility guy.

2nd base now... as well as his ss and cf experience
Post #: 4403
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:03:51 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stacey King

What's super about him?
Post #: 4404
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:10:32 PM   
Stacey King

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

What's super about him?

speed
Post #: 4405
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:21:10 PM   
Stacey King

18th rated prospect

Engelb Vielma, A skinny, flashy, surehanded shortstop from Maracaibo, Venezuela. ... the organization's best defensive infielder ... Vielma has soft hands, smoth actions and outstanding footwork to go with a plus arm and jaw-dropping range.

“He must have made three or four plays that you’d be thrilled to see at the (major league) level,” vice president for player personnel Mike Radcliff recalled. “Diving, back-handing, moving around. He can really field. I mean, wow.”

A 21-yr old 5'11" 150 lb kid who hit .270 in HiA last season. Stick him in the back of your mind for 2018 if he can hit his weight plus 80 points.
Post #: 4406
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:23:46 PM   
twinsfan

MLB Network airing their Top Prospects program. Kepler at #30.
Post #: 4407
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:24:44 PM   
Stacey King

I was wrong on Kepler.

I am a believer now.
Post #: 4408
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:25:13 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's super about him?

speed

You have to hit to be considered a super utility player IMO. When I think super utility, I think Tony Phillips, Ben Zobrist, Michael Cuddyer.
Post #: 4409
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:25:50 PM   
Stacey King

I think Tony Phillips.
Post #: 4410
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:26:45 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

I think Tony Phillips.

The perfect example. But it shows how rare they are.
Post #: 4411
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:41:45 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

I can't believe we're even considering starting the season with Danny Santana as our everyday CF.

This

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4412
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:51:05 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

This

Speed, Ed. Speed!

Nevermind he's subpar in the field at all his potential positions. On top of that, he can't hit a lick!

Thanks TR!
Post #: 4413
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:53:42 PM   
twinsfan

MLB Network focusing on Buxton right now. #2.
Post #: 4414
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:55:45 PM   
twinsfan

This is not a very inspiring discussion considering he's supposedly the #2 prospect in baseball!
Post #: 4415
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 3:56:44 PM   
twinsfan

Seriously...it was all negative discussion on Buxton. Then they moved on to #1 Seager. It's like they have Twins Fan disease themselves.
Post #: 4416
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/14/2016 6:39:19 PM   
Stacey King

quote:

Seriously...it was all negative discussion on Buxton. Then they moved on to #1 Seager. It's like they have Twins Fan disease themselves.

Buxton will fall somewhere in between

Michael Jack Schmidt

Byron Buxton

Matt Williams

when all is done as uber talents who scuffle big time at their first taste of MLB then go on to wildly successful big league careers.
Post #: 4417
RE: Players and prospects III - 2/17/2016 11:09:56 AM   
djskillz

Agreed, Stacey. I think he breaks out this year and is a star. Good to see you back man.

I'm skeptical on the Burdi "changes" just because I haven't seen them yet. When I've seen him he's been awful; little movement, etc, with a funky delivery that won't last IMO. Hope they're right that he's made some good changes and they're working.

I'm still a huge believer in Lewis Thorpe longterm. And I'm still a believer in Kohl as well. I think people are putting too much stock in some recent success for Gonsalves. I'd still take Kohl over him in a heartbeat. Lewis too.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 4418
RE: Players and prospects III - 3/3/2016 8:34:31 PM   
SoMnFan

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com | @JonathanMayo |

It may seem strange for a prospect to have a farewell tour, but that's almost what's going on with Byron Buxton these days -- at least in the prospecting world.
The Twins' No. 1 prospect since midseason 2013, a multi-tooled center fielder, lost his crown as No. 1 on the overall on the Top 100 list to Corey Seager this preseason. But he still has the best overall collection of tools and highest ceiling of any prospect on any list. Not for much longer. Buxton needs just two at-bats to graduate out of prospect status.

• Twins Top 30 Prospects list

Of course, a team doesn't make the Top 10 organization rankings -- in this case No. 5 -- because of just one prospect. The Twins have five other names on the Top 100, with both Jose Berrios and Max Kepler likely to make big contributions in Minnesota this year. And there's depth and talent up and down the system, with many knocking on the door and a few other high-ceiling young players just getting started.

It's always a good sign for an organization when it's tough to leave names off of a Top 30 list, as was the case with the Twins. Even when Buxton does graduate, the Twins prospect list is still in very strong hands, which bodes well for a team that must develop homegrown players to compete in the American League Central.

Biggest jump/fall
Here are the players whose ranks changed the most from the 2015 preseason list to the 2016 preseason list.

Jump: Engelb Vielma (2015: NR | 2016: 17)
Fall: Amaurys Minier (2015: 23 | 2016: NR)

Best tools
Players are graded on a 20-80 scouting scale for future tools -- 20-30 is well below average, 40 is below average, 50 is average, 60 is above average and 70-80 is well above average.

MLB's Top 10 farm systems

Rank

Date

1. Fri., March 4
2. Fri., March 4
3. Fri., March 4
4. Colorado Rockies
5. Minnesota Twins
6. Boston Red Sox
7. Philadelphia Phillies
8. Pittsburgh Pirates
9. Milwaukee Brewers
10. Houston Astros

Hit: Byron Buxton (65)
Power: Adam Brett Walker II (60)
Run: Buxton (80)
Arm: Buxton (80)
Defense: Buxton (70)
Fastball: J.T. Chargois (80)
Curveball: Alex Meyer (65)
Slider: Tyler Jay (65)
Changeup: Jose Berrios (55)
Control: Jose Berrios (55)

How they were built
Draft: 19
International: 10
Trade: 1

Breakdown by ETA
2016: 10
2017: 6
2018: 8
2019: 5
2020: 1

Breakdown by position
C: 1
3B: 2
SS: 5
OF: 6
RHP: 9
LHP: 7

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 3/3/2016 8:36:31 PM >
Post #: 4419
RE: Players and prospects III - 3/4/2016 6:02:27 AM   
Mr. Ed

TEN this year? Ten make it this year, will have to be an injury riddled season.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4420
RE: Players and prospects III - 3/5/2016 10:43:20 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

I don't think it is a bad idea actually. Buxton has a lot to prove in Spring training. There is something about him that bothers me. I don't think he is the brightest bulb on the tree.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 4421
RE: Players and prospects III - 3/5/2016 10:45:14 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

18th rated prospect

Engelb Vielma, A skinny, flashy, surehanded shortstop from Maracaibo, Venezuela. ... the organization's best defensive infielder ... Vielma has soft hands, smoth actions and outstanding footwork to go with a plus arm and jaw-dropping range.

“He must have made three or four plays that you’d be thrilled to see at the (major league) level,” vice president for player personnel Mike Radcliff recalled. “Diving, back-handing, moving around. He can really field. I mean, wow.”

A 21-yr old 5'11" 150 lb kid who hit .270 in HiA last season. Stick him in the back of your mind for 2018 if he can hit his weight plus 80 points.

This guy is the pure definition of life-time minor league SS. Slick glove but absolutely no offense. There have been several thousand of guys like him before, and there will be many more like him to follow.

Post #: 4422
RE: Players and prospects III - 3/5/2016 10:48:00 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

This

Speed, Ed. Speed!

Nevermind he's subpar in the field at all his potential positions. On top of that, he can't hit a lick!

Thanks TR!

I am not going to give up yet on Danny Santana. I think he has some game in him. Let's give him a chance this season to see if last season was more of a fluke/off season. Everyone praises the talent that Byron Buxton has and he gets a free pass from most. IMO, if Buxton is allowed a leash, we should give Santana at least some rope as well.

Post #: 4423
RE: Players and prospects III - 3/5/2016 11:55:30 AM   
twinsfan

I'll give him a chance.

I realize he hit a HR already in Spring Training.

But I think the most important thing for a CF is defense. Santana's defense in center is poor.

Looks like it's gonna be Buxton anyway. That's good. They are playing Santana all over the diamond. He was playing 3B the other day. Looks like he'll be playing the very poor man's Tony Phillips role.
Post #: 4424
RE: Players and prospects III - 3/14/2016 7:17:12 AM   
Mr. Ed

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160313&content_id=167299064&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

"It definitely helps out a lot," Nick Gordon said. "My dad and my brother, they know exactly what they're talking about. They've been through it, they're going through it. It's always good to have someone to talk to like, and you have to listen to them because they know best."

But there are other examples beyond heeding advice.

After being drafted fifth overall by the Twins out of an Orlando-area high school in 2014, Gordon struggled out of the gate in his first full season, producing a .230/.305/.281 line over his first two months at Class A Cedar Rapids. His contact wasn't incredibly loud, either, as a heavy dose of ground balls led to a .289 BABIP and .051 ISO. It was then that the left-handed hitter decided his high school approach wasn't going to cut in the pros.

"With moving up, seeing better competition, better arms, you can't go into it with the same mentality from the season before," Gordon said. "I kinda did that. It's part of the game -- progressing, developing, you have to learn from it.

"A lot of it was just making adjustments. Every pitcher isn't the same, every team isn't the same, every pitch isn't the same. You gotta go out and make adjustments to the game with every pitch, and I wasn't doing that. I was staying with what I knew. But as the season went on, I made those adjustments and smoothed things out."

His line improved to .304/.355/.406 over 75 games in the final three-plus months of the season, with his BABIP and ISO jumping to .358 and .102 over that span, thanks to an increase in line drives as he caught up to full-season pitching.

It was Gordon's ability to adapt and grow, as well as an ability to remain a plus defender while struggling at the plate, that pleased the Twins the most. And they believe part of that comes from seeing the ups and downs of the game up close.

"It's been a real positive for him, to be around the game his whole life and know how pro ball works," Twins director of player development Brad Steil said. "He's got a good feel for everything, good knowledge of the game. And that comes from having a good support system."

With Gordon's initial struggles out of the way, Minnesota hopes the best is yet to come for the 20-year-old. Team officials believe he'll stick at shortstop -- MLB.com gives him plus grades for his arm and fielding tools at the position -- and perhaps add a little speed as he gets stronger, noting what they saw from fellow infielders Jorge Polanco and Engelb Vielma at similar points.

Perhaps foolishly, Gordon decided to test his run tool by challenging his brother, one of the Majors' fastest players, to a race over the winter and said he did better than perhaps anyone would have thought.

"It actually went good for me because he didn't expect me to be that fast, so he slowed up at the beginning and I got him in the first one," Gordon said. "Then, he realized, 'All right, it's time to go now,' and he got me in the second. But it wasn't by much."

Asked to name the biggest thing he's learned from his ballplaying kin -- besides that lesson in speed -- Gordon's response was simple.

"Have fun and seize the moment," he said. "It's a blessing to play pro ball, so you definitely have to take advantage of every chance you get and enjoy it."

Perhaps it's fitting that Gordon's next stop in the Twins system is likely to be Class A Advanced Fort Myers in the Florida State League, which should mean a few more visits from dad and a few more lessons.

"That," Gordon said, "is gonna be fun."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4425
Page:   <<   < prev  175 176 [177] 178 179   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  175 176 [177] 178 179   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode