Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Players and prospects III

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  270 271 [272] 273 274   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/9/2017 12:54:21 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Nope.

I'm not saying that Barnes will be a star, but he just might be an OK starter someday. Did Greg Maddox throw any faster than Barnes?

Yes, much faster when he came into the league. Maddox is an anomaly. He developed freakish command and a freakish two seamer with great movement that he could put on the outside black any time he wanted to. He is the most frequently referenced pitcher when people try to say a guy with low velocity can do the job. What gets overlooked is that for every Maddux there are hundreds of other pitchers who couldn't overcome the lack of velocity.

This. 100 times this.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 6776
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/9/2017 12:54:52 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

1) different game today.
2) you can't really glean much of anything from a college guy in low A ball.

Didn't they put him at CR right away though? Pretty good start you have to admit.

No, he started with the E Twins and moved up to CR. As Dustin said, a college pitcher in low A can do wonderful things out there. We'll see how it translates as he moves up. Hey, if I'm dead wrong about Barnes, nobody will be happier about it than I am.

Also this.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 6777
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/9/2017 12:58:46 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

Differnt game today, everybody's better.
Maddux would suck.

Go ask Beltre or Beltran. Or Dustin.

Per usual, not what I said. At all. Stop with your weird agenda.

Post #: 6778
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/9/2017 1:07:42 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1) different game today.

Didn't they put him at CR right away though? Pretty good start you have to admit.

No, he started with the E Twins and moved up to CR. As Dustin said, a college pitcher in low A can do wonderful things out there. We'll see how it translates as he moves up. Hey, if I'm dead wrong about Barnes, nobody will be happier about it than I am.

Also this.

You are right 6 games pitched in Elizabeth---they didn't promote him fast enough. It just seems that since he isn't your guy you are negative when everyone else is okay with his moderate progress.....what is up with that Dustin?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6779
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/9/2017 1:24:00 PM   
TJSweens

Yeah Dustin, what's up with that?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6780
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/9/2017 1:40:25 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I know he won't answer...just pulling his chain a bit. I know he is pissed that Rosario hit 2 last night Sweens--Rosario isn't one of his guys either---he wants to trade him.

Post #: 6781
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/9/2017 2:21:19 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1) different game today.

Also this.

You are right 6 games pitched in Elizabeth---they didn't promote him fast enough. It just seems that since he isn't your guy you are negative when everyone else is okay with his moderate progress.....what is up with that Dustin?

I just don't care what a college pitcher does at low A ball. They SHOULD dominate there. It tells us nothing. Just like how many HR's someone hit in HS tells us nothing.

Post #: 6782
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/9/2017 2:22:18 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

I know he won't answer...just pulling his chain a bit. I know he is pissed that Rosario hit 2 last night Sweens--Rosario isn't one of his guys either---he wants to trade him.

Yep, I hate Eddie. Maybe you don't remember but I'm the ORIGINAL Eddie fan. Myself and Ed, since the time he was in A ball. I love him. I just want him to learn to walk so he can be a complete hitter, and also lay off the weed. But I couldn't be happier he's having a great streak. All I ever said was that I would have traded him before I traded Hicks from a value standpoint. I'll stick by that.

Post #: 6783
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/9/2017 2:28:55 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep, I hate Eddie. Maybe you don't remember but I'm the ORIGINAL Eddie fan. Myself and Ed, since the time he was in A ball. I love him. I just want him to learn to walk so he can be a complete hitter, and also lay off the weed. But I couldn't be happier he's having a great streak. All I ever said was that I would have traded him before I traded Hicks from a value standpoint. I'll stick by that.

I still wouldn't trade him before Hicks. Isn't Hicks hurt again?

Post #: 6784
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/12/2017 7:38:22 AM   
Ricky J

Found this tweet from the Cedar Rapids Gazette:

CR Gazette Sports‏ @CRGazetteSports 8h8 hours ago
Clark Beeker extends scoreless pitching string to 32 2/3 innings in 3-0 win over Quad Cities http://thegaz.us/2vvHTr8

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/professional/cedar-rapids-kernels/clark-beeker-extends-scoreless-pitching-string-to-32-23-innings-in-3-0-win-over-quad-cities-20170811?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GazetteOnlineSports+%28TheGazette.com+Sports+News%29
Post #: 6785
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/12/2017 9:56:57 AM   
Mr. Ed

Friday

Roch gave up all 7 in the last 3 innings, losing 7-2

Vargas 2-4, Palka 1-4/double/R/RBI/Assist @ Home, Garver 1-3/double(26)/BB, Granite 1-4/R

Hurlbut 8-7 7.1IP 10H/2R/8K
Reed .2IP 2-2 IRS 3H/3R/BB
Bard IP 2H/2R/BB/K

Chatt 7-2 win

Gordon 2-5/2R/RBI(56), Wade 1-1/2BB/Sac Fly/R/RBI(53), Wlkins 1-4/BB/2RBI

Littell 2-0 6IP 5H/R/3BB/3K
Pino IP H/R/K/HR
Eades 2IP K

FTM won twice

6-4 win, out-hit 12-6

Wiel 1-2/double(24)/BB/R/RBI, Rooker 1-3/3R HR(5)

LeBlanc 4.2IP 8H/4R/2BB/3K
McIVer 5-2 2.1IP 2-3 IRS 4H/K

1-0 win, Combo 3 Hitter

Poppen 6IP H/BB/5K
Vasquez 2-0 IP 2H/KWalk off win on a sac fly by English, scoring Davis 2-3/double/R

CR 3-0 win on a combo 4-hitter

Beeker 11-3 7IP 3H/3BB
Mason IP 23BB
Davis IP H/K/Save(3)

Rortvedt 2-4/solo HR(4)/2RBI, Diaz 2-3/RBI(59)

Eliz lost 3-1

Kendrick 1-3/BB/Solo HR(4), Miranda 2-4, Cosgrove 2-4/double

Ober 1-1 5.2IP 4H/3R/BB/5K/2HR
Ramirez 2.1IP H/K
Finkel IP K

GCL Twins walked off 4-3 winnersRBI Single by Maldonado won it(1-4/RBI), Rodriguez 2-3/double/BB/R/RBI, Grzelakowski 2-4, Lewis 0-3/BB(.271)

Bizzle IP K
Leach 3IP 3H/2R/5K
Suniaga 4.2IP 3H/R/3BB/8K/HR 2-2 IRs
Gerics 1-0 .1IP 0-2 IRS BB

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6786
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/12/2017 12:26:51 PM   
SoMnFan

The Twins announced Saturday morning that No. 1 overall draft choice Royce Lewis has been promoted to Class A Cedar Rapids from their rookie team in the Gulf Coast League.

Lewis is expected to be in uniform for Saturday night's game in Cedar Rapids against Quad Cities.

Lewis, who was the first player selected in June amateur free agent draft. batted .271 in 36 games for the GCL Twins with three home runs and 18 RBI.

The move bypasses the Twins' Appalachian League team in Elizabethton, Tenn., which is the place where most young players stop on their ascent toward the major leagues. Byron Buxton, for example, split his first professional season between the GCL Twins and Elizabethton when he was taken with the No. 2 overall pick in 2012.

Steps up the ladder from Cedar Rapids include Fort Myers (advanced Class A), Chattanooga (AA) and Rochester (AAA).
Post #: 6787
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/12/2017 1:07:14 PM   
djskillz

Good for him. But I'm slightly annoyed that I was in Cedar Rapids a couple of weeks back and am going to be in E-Ton probably next weekend.

Post #: 6788
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/12/2017 1:25:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

The Twins announced Saturday morning that No. 1 overall draft choice Royce Lewis has been promoted to Class A Cedar Rapids from their rookie team in the Gulf Coast League.

Lewis is expected to be in uniform for Saturday night's game in Cedar Rapids against Quad Cities.

Lewis, who was the first player selected in June amateur free agent draft. batted .271 in 36 games for the GCL Twins with three home runs and 18 RBI.

The move bypasses the Twins' Appalachian League team in Elizabethton, Tenn., which is the place where most young players stop on their ascent toward the major leagues. Byron Buxton, for example, split his first professional season between the GCL Twins and Elizabethton when he was taken with the No. 2 overall pick in 2012.

Steps up the ladder from Cedar Rapids include Fort Myers (advanced Class A), Chattanooga (AA) and Rochester (AAA).

They forgot to mention they have 2 very good SS type prospects at Eliz in Javier and Miranda.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6789
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/12/2017 3:16:43 PM   
Mr. Ed

GCL Twins lost in 10 innings, 5-4

De La Torre(who will get the SS innings w/Lewis gone) 2-4/R/2RBI, Tademo 2-4/double/R, Robles 2-3/R

Centeno 3IP BB/3K
Jones 3IP 3H/2UER/2BB/3K/E(1)
Marnon 2IP 2H/R/3K
Molina BS IP H/R/BB/K
Featherstone 0-2 .2IP H/UER/K

DSL Twins won 5-2, improving to 43-16

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6790
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/12/2017 3:30:17 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

De La Torre(who will get the SS innings w/Lewis gone) 2-4/R/2RBI, Tademo 2-4/double/R, Robles 2-3/R

Centeno 3IP BB/3K
Marnon 2IP 2H/R/3K
Molina BS IP H/R/BB/K

I thought they quit playing extra innings in the GCL.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6791
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/12/2017 3:37:18 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Centeno 3IP BB/3K
Marnon 2IP 2H/R/3K
Molina BS IP H/R/BB/K

I thought they quit playing extra innings in the GCL.

.Depends on how many pitchers each side has available.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6792
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/13/2017 9:41:54 AM   
Mr. Ed

Saturday Night

Roch made 2 HRs stand, 3-2 win

Park 1-4/2R HR(10), Garver 2-4/Solo HR(17), Vargas 2-4

Slegers 13-4 7.1IP 8H/2R/6K
Melotakis 1.2IP K/0-1 IRS/Save(1)

Chatt combo 3-hitter, 1-0 win

Walker 1-3/double/R, Rodriguez 1-3/double/BB

DRod 5-2 7IP 2H/5K
Van Steensel IP H/BB
N.Anderson IP BB/Save(6)/E(1)

FTM scored 7 in the first 2 innings, won 9-6

Rooker 1-2/BB/3R HR(6)/2R/4RBI(21, in 25 FTM games), Davis 2-4/2RBI, Miller 1-4/BB/2R

Drl Rosario 4IP 5H/4R/4BB/3K/HR
Ramirez 3-1 2IP BB/4K
Robinson IP R/3BB/2K
THeofanopoulos 2IP 3H/R/4K

CR rolled on Lewis' debut, 9-1

Lewis 4-5/2R/RBI/SB(1), Kerrigan 2-3/Solo HR(3)/Sac Fly/2RBI, Carrier 2-4/2R HR(4), Gore 1-2/triple/2BB/R/2RBI

Marzi 4-2 6IP 4H/R/3BB/2K
Cordy 2IP H/5BB/3K
Lujan IP 2K

Eliz was routed, 12-5

Robinson 1-3/R/2RBi, Miranda 1-3/triple/R/RBI, MOntesino 1-4/double/R

Widell 0-2 3.1IP 5H/4R/3ER/2BB/5K
Gomez IP 0-2 IRS 3H/6R/3BB/K/HR
Lasko 2IP 3-3 IRS 3H/2R/3BB/2K
Martinez 1.2IP 1-3IRS H/2K

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6793
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/13/2017 10:31:54 AM   
djskillz

It's very early, but some great early returns from Falvey's first draft, for sure.

Post #: 6794
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/13/2017 6:13:44 PM   
SoMnFan

I know we've been talking about this ..... and it may have been posted once before ...... but I'm going to risk upsetting people by posting it again.

Royce Lewis went 4-for-5 in his debut with Class A Cedar Rapids on Saturday night after being promoted from the Twins' rookie team in the Gulf Coast League.

All four of the hits were singles for Lewis, who batted leadoff in Cedar Rapids' 9-1 victory over Quad Cities.

The Twins announced Saturday morning that Lewis, the No. 1 overall pick in the June amateur draft, was being promoted after about two months with the Fort Myers-based rookie team.

Lewis batted .271 in 36 games for the GCL Twins with three home runs and 18 RBI.

“The performance alone wouldn’t have warranted a promotion,” Twins GM Thad Levine said. “It was the scouts and player development guys who [advised] that he could not only handle this but potentially help [Cedar Rapids] trying to make a late-season push.”

The Kernels have 22 regular-season games remaining.

By skipping Elizabethton, Lewis has passed another highly regarded 18-year-old shortstop prospect, Wander Javier, but Levine said that’s not a reflection of their status within the organization. “This is not meant to separate he and Wander Javier at all,” the general manager said. “I anticipate both guys will go into spring training next year competing for jobs. We’ll keep that competition very fresh.”

The Twins also have Nick Gordon playing shortstop at Class AA Chattanooga, and Jermaine Palacios at high-Class A Fort Myers, each of whom was recently rated the best fielder in his respective league in a Baseball America poll of scouts and managers.

“I don’t think anybody in baseball has ever leveled the complaint, ‘We just have too dang many good shortstops,’ ” Levine joked. “We don’t plan to be the first.”
Post #: 6795
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/13/2017 6:17:40 PM   
djskillz

Good stuff. I don't really see the Lewis/Javier stuff as much of a problem anyway.

Javier's going to fill out, and likely end up at 3b or the OF. And I'll be relatively shocked if Lewis isn't playing OF within the next couple of years too.

And we STILL have plenty of depth at SS for the next 6-10 years. Or should. Amazing problem to have.

Post #: 6796
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/13/2017 6:20:45 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Good stuff. I don't really see the Lewis/Javier stuff as much of a problem anyway.

Javier's going to fill out, and likely end up at 3b or the OF. And I'll be relatively shocked if Lewis isn't playing OF within the next couple of years too.

And we STILL have plenty of depth at SS for the next 6-10 years. Or should. Amazing problem to have.

Miranda is already headed that way, i'd guess. Been playing 2nd mostly, some SS.

Palacios is the best hitter of the bunch at this point. And that's saying something.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6797
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/13/2017 6:23:19 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

Miranda is already headed that way, i'd guess. Been playing 2nd mostly, some SS.

Palacios is the best hitter of the bunch at this point. And that's saying something.

Yep. I see Gordon holding down the fort for at least several years, and then when he gets too expensive they turn the reigns over to Palacios or De La Torre, or someone else. Long time to be thinking about that yet. Javier just looks like a big, tall kid that will likely add a lot of bulk. Just can't see him sticking at SS. But time will tell.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 8/13/2017 6:25:09 PM >

Post #: 6798
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/13/2017 8:08:18 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Found this tweet from the Cedar Rapids Gazette:

CR Gazette Sports‏ @CRGazetteSports 8h8 hours ago
Clark Beeker extends scoreless pitching string to 32 2/3 innings in 3-0 win over Quad Cities http://thegaz.us/2vvHTr8

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/professional/cedar-rapids-kernels/clark-beeker-extends-scoreless-pitching-string-to-32-23-innings-in-3-0-win-over-quad-cities-20170811?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GazetteOnlineSports+%28TheGazette.com+Sports+News%29

WOW.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6799
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/13/2017 8:14:43 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Saturday Night

Roch made 2 HRs stand, 3-2 win

Park 1-4/2R HR(10), Garver 2-4/Solo HR(17), Vargas 2-4

Slegers 13-4 7.1IP 8H/2R/6K
Melotakis 1.2IP K/0-1 IRS/Save(1)

Chatt combo 3-hitter, 1-0 win

Walker 1-3/double/R, Rodriguez 1-3/double/BB

DRod 5-2 7IP 2H/5K
Van Steensel IP H/BB
N.Anderson IP BB/Save(6)/E(1)

FTM scored 7 in the first 2 innings, won 9-6

Rooker 1-2/BB/3R HR(6)/2R/4RBI(21, in 25 FTM games), Davis 2-4/2RBI, Miller 1-4/BB/2R

Drl Rosario 4IP 5H/4R/4BB/3K/HR
Ramirez 3-1 2IP BB/4K
Robinson IP R/3BB/2K
THeofanopoulos 2IP 3H/R/4K

CR rolled on Lewis' debut, 9-1

Lewis 4-5/2R/RBI/SB(1), Kerrigan 2-3/Solo HR(3)/Sac Fly/2RBI, Carrier 2-4/2R HR(4), Gore 1-2/triple/2BB/R/2RBI

Marzi 4-2 6IP 4H/R/3BB/2K
Cordy 2IP H/5BB/3K
Lujan IP 2K

Eliz was routed, 12-5

Robinson 1-3/R/2RBi, Miranda 1-3/triple/R/RBI, MOntesino 1-4/double/R

Widell 0-2 3.1IP 5H/4R/3ER/2BB/5K
Gomez IP 0-2 IRS 3H/6R/3BB/K/HR
Lasko 2IP 3-3 IRS 3H/2R/3BB/2K
Martinez 1.2IP 1-3IRS H/2K

Is it safe to say that Rooker's slump is over and he is just fine at this level of competition?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6800
Page:   <<   < prev  270 271 [272] 273 274   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  270 271 [272] 273 274   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode