Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Mike Priefer must GO

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/13/2016 5:44:05 PM   
Ricky J

I appreciate the kind words. I wish you the best.
Post #: 226
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/13/2016 5:51:08 PM  1 votes
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Merry Christmas, David. I hope all is well!

Thank you Ricky. All was well that day. Also thank you again for all your wonderful support and help you gave me. I would normally say 'you'll never know how much it meant' but I have a feeling you DO know how much it meant.

I'm throwing this out here on the board not for me but for anyone else who by chance might need to hear it...

I spent Christmas in an inpatient treatment center for chemical dependency. I spent 34 days there total with little to no contact with the outside world. I won't use the 40-50+ pages it would take for me to describe the experience but I'll just say that it might be the single most important thing I've ever done and it 100% without a doubt saved my life - for now - as long as I continue to work for a positive recovery.

Please... PLEASE if you are suffering or feel there is no where to turn or no one to talk to seek help. Things might seem hopeless and dark but there are people who can help. Reach out.

Spent 45 days in such a place (some are sicker than others, as the saying goes) starting December 6, 1983. Life got better and has continued so ever since. Keep coming back.
Post #: 227
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/13/2016 6:57:47 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Apparently Priefer will remain with the team despite the most recent loss directly coming from a bad field goal kick.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 228
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/13/2016 7:07:50 PM   
Ed_Marotske

I thought the special teams unit as a whole was pretty good this year...did I miss something or does this stem more from his previous shenanigans?
Post #: 229
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/13/2016 7:14:53 PM   
Todd M

This guy is on the fast track to nowhere. Lifer ST's coach who hasn't exactly mastered the job.

Never in demand. Usually moves on through staffing changes. Which is what we should have done.

He's a nothing and could easily be replaced.
Post #: 230
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/13/2016 7:49:33 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

Thank you Ricky. All was well that day. Also thank you again for all your wonderful support and help you gave me. I would normally say 'you'll never know how much it meant' but I have a feeling you DO know how much it meant.

I'm throwing this out here on the board not for me but for anyone else who by chance might need to hear it...

I spent Christmas in an inpatient treatment center for chemical dependency. I spent 34 days there total with little to no contact with the outside world. I won't use the 40-50+ pages it would take for me to describe the experience but I'll just say that it might be the single most important thing I've ever done and it 100% without a doubt saved my life - for now - as long as I continue to work for a positive recovery.

Please... PLEASE if you are suffering or feel there is no where to turn or no one to talk to seek help. Things might seem hopeless and dark but there are people who can help. Reach out.

Spent 45 days in such a place (some are sicker than others, as the saying goes) starting December 6, 1983. Life got better and has continued so ever since. Keep coming back.

Continued good life to you guys.
Post #: 231
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/13/2016 8:08:56 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Totally agree, wouldn't be "this place" without you guys.
Post #: 232
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/13/2016 8:12:21 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ed_Marotske

I thought the special teams unit as a whole was pretty good this year...did I miss something or does this stem more from his previous shenanigans?

As far as I can tell it breaks down, in no particular order as this:

He and Kluwe had that faceoff and Kluwe was cut (anti-gay stuff)
Locke has been shitty from about day 1 (and that feeds the "Kluwe was shit canned because of the rift between Phefffferrr and he"
Every good ST's play is because we are special there
Every negative ST's play is because of Pfehhhhhheffffffffffffferrrrrrrrrrr (I can't spell)
Post #: 233
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/13/2016 10:54:18 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Other than Locke, it was.

As fast as Davidson was shown the door, Locke can't be far behind.

Has it been mentioned that we hired Tony Sparano as OLine coach? Awesome hire.
Post #: 234
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 7:26:30 AM   
Bill Jandro

Pfeifer should be canned

If the laces showed up on an earlier kick why wasn't this rehearsed on the sideline and corrected.

If Locke was a Pfeifer hand picked player

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 235
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 8:40:16 AM   
ronhextall

He yanked the piss out of that kick, laces didn't do a damn thing on that kick.

Walsh is who needs to go, for everybody's sanity.

"He Walshed it". Will be the new phrase for years.

He will be the butt of jokes from that day until the Vikings win a super bowl.

The pressure and scrutiny he is going to be under is going to be over the top and unfair to everybody. It would b best for everybody to move on.
Post #: 236
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 9:19:35 AM  1 votes
ratoppenheimer

does it bother anyone else that our punting team players run down and surround the receiving players and the bouncing ball before it's been downed and could become 'live' if it touches one the punting team players?...they fake like they're going to grab the ball and while doing so get way too close to the ball...it just seems so risky and all for nothing....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 237
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 9:46:23 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Pfeifer should be canned

If the laces showed up on an earlier kick why wasn't this rehearsed on the sideline and corrected.

Maybe because he knocked those kicks dead center?

I'm pretty sure they rehearse this stuff daily. Re-rehearsing it on the sidelines ain't going to provide an instant fix. That, of course, assumes that they didn't rehearse it on the sidelines, which you have no evidence of, one way or another.
Post #: 238
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:09:33 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

does it bother anyone else that our punting team players run down and surround the receiving players [do you have that backwards?] and the bouncing ball before it's been downed and could become 'live' if it touches one the punting team players?...they fake like they're going to grab the ball and while doing so get way too close to the ball...it just seems so risky and all for nothing....

I think I've been over this once before. With all my deletes I'm not sure.

If the punting team touches, but not downs the ball, it is called first touching and the ball is still live. The ball will be set to play at either the first touching or the downed spot - which ever is further. It doesn't matter if you accidentally touch it and they recover because it would go to the spot of first touching. That's why, imo, it is smart to try and pick up the ball and run. The worst thing that can happen to you is it will go back to first touching.

I've been over this with my son. The ball is punted, there is a first touching, bean bag is marking the spot, my boy is trying to get into position to pick up the ball and run, the coaches are screaming, "GET AWAY FROM THE BALL, " I'm screaming from the stands, "PICK IT UP AND RUN!"

Who ever said the coaches are smarter than us fans? Ludicrous!
Post #: 239
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:09:36 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

does it bother anyone else that our punting team players run down and surround the receiving players and the bouncing ball before it's been downed and could become 'live' if it touches one the punting team players?...they fake like they're going to grab the ball and while doing so get way too close to the ball...it just seems so risky and all for nothing....

It doesn't become live if they touch the ball. It is downed at that spot.

If the receiving team player touches the ball it becomes live and anybody's ball.

The receiveing team guy can pick it up at any time and take off with it...if he thinks he can get away with it.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 240
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:10:58 AM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Pfeifer should be canned

Maybe because he knocked those kicks dead center?

I'm pretty sure they rehearse this stuff daily. Re-rehearsing it on the sidelines ain't going to provide an instant fix. That, of course, assumes that they didn't rehearse it on the sidelines, which you have no evidence of, one way or another.

Totally agree. In those conditions if you have something that is working you don't mess with it at that time. Especially something as minuet as laces forward.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 241
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:11:54 AM   
Ricky J

I wonder when Walsh will come out and say what actually happened technically that screwed up the kick. He did very well not bringing it up before now.
Post #: 242
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:17:35 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

We have a lot of young talented players on the units.

Very few scrubs.

That helps a lot.

We could use a new coach, and a punter though.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 243
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:19:33 AM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

If the punting team touches, but not downs the ball, it is called first touching and the ball is still live. The ball will be set to play at either the first touching or the downed spot - which ever is further. It doesn't matter if you accidentally touch it and they recover because it would go to the spot of first touching. That's why, imo, it is smart to try and pick up the ball and run. The worst thing that can happen to you is it will go back to first touching.

I've been over this with my son. The ball is punted, there is a first touching, bean bag is marking the spot, my boy is trying to get into position to pick up the ball and run, the coaches are screaming, "GET AWAY FROM THE BALL, " I'm screaming from the stands, "PICK IT UP AND RUN!"

You are exactly right. I believe you have said you have officiated before or still do?

When the punting team touches but doesn't down the ball it's oddly called an "illegal touching" and the receiving team should be able to advance it but frequently it's prematurely blown dead..

I think most coaches don't favor players trying to advance it because 1) You are relying of the official to make the right call and 2) The player might think the other team touched it, but didn't.

Post #: 244
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:28:10 AM   
69in09

quote:

I wonder when Walsh will come out and say what actually happened technically that screwed up the kick. He did very well not bringing it up before now.

I can tell you right now.

He didn't "overstep" the kick.

When you need the ball to take a right angle (as in this kick) you should step further past the ball than you would for a straight on kick.

Of course, the opposite is true when you want to angle the kick to the left. You would stop a little short.

For PATS he puts the ball on the right hash, so he is obviously more comfortable doing that.

Presnap he angled himself right, but he didn't overstep and subsequently had almost no follow through. As he finishes, his leg comes more across his body that forward towards the uprights, as it should.

Because that is an unusual angle he needed to consciously remember think to overstep on the 27 yarder, but clearly didn't.

Post #: 245
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:35:29 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

quote:

You are exactly right. I believe you have said you have officiated before or still do?

When the punting team touches but doesn't down the ball it's oddly called an "illegal touching" and the receiving team should be able to advance it but frequently it's prematurely blown dead..

I think most coaches don't favor players trying to advance it because 1) You are relying of the official to make the right call and 2) The player might think the other team touched it, but didn't.

I officiated 15 years in high school. Loved Friday nights about as much as anything. I gave it up to watch my kids play.

re: ... most coaches don't favor players trying to advance it because ...

In my opinion they don't favor it because they don't know the rules.
Post #: 246
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:36:51 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

I can tell you right now.

He didn't "overstep" the kick.

When you need the ball to take a right angle (as in this kick) you should step further past the ball than you would for a straight on kick.

Of course, the opposite is true when you want to angle the kick to the left. You would stop a little short.

For PATS he puts the ball on the right hash, so he is obviously more comfortable doing that.

Presnap he angled himself right, but he didn't overstep and subsequently had almost no follow through. As he finishes, his leg comes more across his body that forward towards the uprights, as it should.

Because that is an unusual angle he needed to consciously remember think to overstep on the 27 yarder, but clearly didn't.

I read somewhere that Kluwe twitted right away that his plant foot was too close to the ball.
Post #: 247
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:38:39 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

the team punting has only one option on a punt..

first touching or downing the ball.. which is essentislly the same thing..

the only way a punted ball can become "live" and the punting team can do anything but down it, is if it touches in any way a member of the receiving team..

once a member of the receiving team touches the ball , either by attempting to field a punt ( muffed)or by inadvertently being touched on the leg or in the back, or any other way touches the punted ball first,, and ONLY if a receiving team player touches the ball first.. it is then a live ball and can be picked up and advanced by either team.

Punting team members SHOULD BE surrounding the ball..

This is way the punt returner either calls for a Fair Catch, to field it clean and "down it" at the spot of the fair catch, or waves off all other players on the receiving team so they DO NOT accidently touch it , creating a live ball.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 248
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:42:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

Continued good health to you guys....glad to hear it.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 249
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/14/2016 10:42:31 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

the team punting has only one option on a punt..

first touching or downing the ball.. which is essentislly the same thing..

the only way a punted ball can become "live" and the punting team can do anything but down it, is if it touches in any way a member of the receiving team..

once a member of the receiving team touches the ball , either by attempting to field a punt ( muffed)or by inadvertently being touched on the leg or in the back, or any other way touches the punted ball first,, and ONLY if a receiving team player touches the ball first.. it is then a live ball and can be picked up and advanced by either team.

Punting team members SHOULD BE surrounding the ball..

This is way the punt returner either calls for a Fair Catch, to field it clean and "down it" at the spot of the fair catch, or waves off all other players on the receiving team so they DO NOT accidently touch it , creating a live ball.

He must have switched punting team and receiving team around inadvertently. He would know that otherwise.
Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode