Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Mike Priefer must GO

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 9:19:40 AM   
Troy Newell

I don't really want to judge individual coaches. Ultimately it's Zimmer (probably Speilman too) who will be retained, let go or fired based on the Vikings W/L record so he has every right to have whatever coaches he wants with him. That said it will be very interesting to see if or how he changes his coaching staff in the offseason.
Post #: 51
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 9:33:15 AM   
Ricky J

Yes it will. I would hope they could reevaluate and say this works well, this doesn't instead of keeping everyone cause they are all ready on staff. I'd like to think that Zimmer is different but the NFL is such a good ol' boys club I have my doubts.
Post #: 52
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 9:38:35 AM   
Troy Newell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Yes it will. I would hope they could reevaluate and say this works well, this doesn't instead of keeping everyone cause they are all ready on staff. I'd like to think that Zimmer is different but the NFL is such a good ol' boys club I have my doubts.

You could be right, but Zimmer is hell bent on proving the people who passed him over in the past that I don't think he will keep a coach just because he is currently on staff.
Post #: 53
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 9:58:09 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Troy Newell

quote:

You could be right, but Zimmer is hell bent on proving the people who passed him over in the past that I don't think he will keep a coach just because he is currently on staff.

I hope not
Post #: 54
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 10:00:32 AM   
Ricky J

I just saw the kick off after the penalty at 4+ min. Great kick, coverage, and recovery of fumble.

No one giving Priefer props for that one or is this thread all about canning his ass?
Post #: 55
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 10:03:49 AM   
Todd M

They were kicking off from the 50. We already failed once this year when facing that scenario.

What exactly would you give props to Priefer for on that play?
Post #: 56
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 10:17:03 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

They were kicking off from the 50. We already failed once this year when facing that scenario.

Are you serious? Great execution. If not the fumble the ball is inside the 10. Daryl Johnston can't get enough of how great Priefer is on that play, doesn't even mention Walsh by name.

That's why this thread can be considered horses hit. It's not about an objective conversation it's about DF and company that can't let go of the Kluwe/Preifer "thing" ... only my opinion, of course
Post #: 57
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 10:23:52 AM   
Todd M

Objective.

Like saying MP had nothing to do with the blocked punt but gets lauded for the great execution by Walsh?

We're at the 50...Priefer says...hey, we got shit last time we blew this...can you kick it short of the goal line this time? Of course coach...<goes and does it> there's a fumble.

Geez...we couldn't have done any of that without MP being the man on that play!
Post #: 58
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 10:34:57 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Ricky, this is not about Preifer/klewie.. it's about a special teams coach who has failed at his job, presiding over an aspect of football games that can flat out effect the outcome of games and seasons.

ST play has regressed in all areas.

When Locke gets "lauded" for the 1 in 10 punts that DO NOT suck ass, and your holder/punter and Kicker are routinely missing kicks that were considered a "gimme" and those "oopsies" moment cost you games, It falls on the coach.

HC's, OC's, DC's, ( not our puppet/parrot) on other teams get fired or repurposed all the time for being directly responsible for a teams overall failure to execute in the area of a coaches expertise.

The bigger question, in my mind, is why do you support Preifer?

Do you like what he has done, or are you just so giddy that he fired Klewie, that you will overlook anything he does or doesn't do from that point onward?

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 59
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 10:45:42 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Are you serious? Great execution. If not the fumble the ball is inside the 10. Daryl Johnston can't get enough of how great Priefer is on that play, doesn't even mention Walsh by name.

That's why this thread can be considered horses hit. It's not about an objective conversation it's about DF and company that can't let go of the Kluwe/Preifer "thing" ... only my opinion, of course

I saw the kickoff from the 50. I also saw the blocked punt that cost us the game.

Pretty much negate each other.

Taken as a whole, And I couldn't care less about the Kluwe thing at this point, Preifer has not been good this year.

Sorry. One good play does not make him a great coach.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 60
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 11:19:29 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Ricky, this is not about Preifer/klewie.. it's about a special teams coach who has failed at his job, presiding over an aspect of football games that can flat out effect the outcome of games and seasons.

ST play has regressed in all areas.

When Locke gets "lauded" for the 1 in 10 punts that DO NOT suck ass, and your holder/punter and Kicker are routinely missing kicks that were considered a "gimme" and those "oopsies" moment cost you games, It falls on the coach.

HC's, OC's, DC's, ( not our puppet/parrot) on other teams get fired or repurposed all the time for being directly responsible for a teams overall failure to execute in the area of a coaches expertise.

The bigger question, in my mind, is why do you support Preifer?

Do you like what he has done, or are you just so giddy that he fired Klewie, that you will overlook anything he does or doesn't do from that point onward?

I can't get on board with this thinking.

I don't know the numbers but think we routinely start out with better field position than our opponents on KOs.

We don't allow diddly on KOs and PRs for the most part. Locke sucked first 10 games of year but has picked it up the last five.

2 biggest gaffes of the year were yesterday(bad snap) and Chandler Jones continuing his domination of Kalil.

If he is causing Walsh to regress, I will be on board with firing him. We need Walsh to get back to his automatic ways.

CPatt also not the same guy he was in 1st game of year. Priefer's fault, probably not. Injury and mental issues, probably.
Post #: 61
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 11:22:44 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

I saw the kickoff from the 50. I also saw the blocked punt that cost us the game.

Taken as a whole, And I couldn't care less about the Kluwe thing at this point, Preifer has not been good this year.

If we are going to lay the fault on him(Priefer) for a bad snap, we have to give him props for 2 blocked punts against Carolina and fake punt at Chicago.
Post #: 62
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 11:33:05 AM   
David F.

The fake punt was definitely his best contribution this year.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 63
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 11:34:59 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

If we are going to lay the fault on him(Priefer) for a bad snap, we have to give him props for 2 blocked punts against Carolina and fake punt at Chicago.

We gonna give him credit for the Dolphin fumbling on the kickoff yesterday?

How about Exum not recovering that fumble a couple weeks ago...does Priefer get dinged for that?

ST play this year has been sloppy.
Sure, they've had a few good plays...but for the most part, it's been sloppy.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 64
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 11:44:49 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How about Exum not recovering that fumble a couple weeks ago...does Priefer get dinged for that?

Like I said, if he is the cause of Walsh's regression, fire him.

If not, a new ST coach is way down my list of priorities.
Post #: 65
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 2:07:08 PM   
Bill Jandro

If we break things down there are explanations and not all fingers can be pointed at Priefer

Locke: He has never been any good so thats on Spielman

Loeffler: Bad snap (took the heat) was also listed on injury report this week.

Walsh: slump

CPatt: Been injured and has regressed at wr as well.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 66
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 3:36:12 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

3rd in the league in KO coverage, 6th in the league in punt coverage. 6th in the league in punts inside the 20, 3rd fewest punts for touchback in the league.
Post #: 67
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 3:40:10 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like I said, if he is the cause of Walsh's regression, fire him.

If not, a new ST coach is way down my list of priorities.

Who caused Walsh's regression his last year in college? And who get's credit for fixing it his rookie year?
Post #: 68
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 3:40:52 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

When there is little danger of your punter punting it to the end zone, let alone thru it, even from the 50, you are being gifted some meaningless punter stats....

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 69
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 3:54:17 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

When there is little danger of your punter punting it to the end zone, let alone thru it, even from the 50, you are being gifted some meaningless punter stats....

Since your punter is attempting to NOT punt it through or into the EZ, there is definitely some cause/effect, especially considering he's near the top of the league landing them inside the 20.
Post #: 70
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 3:58:08 PM   
David F.

The stats need to be looked at thoroughly as they are very beholden to situations. I like that the punt and kick returns against us are very favorable, but I would like to look further into it. For example, is the avg punt return against us low because of great coverage or because Locke punts short a lot. Tough to tell. How many touchbacks does Walsh give us to make our kick return avg low?

Either way, the kick return averages against us are really favorable and definitely a credit to Priefer but I'd like to look at the whole story. Our returns are definitely down but maybe teams are doing the same thing to us?

Sweet. Now I have something to do tonight.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 71
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 4:08:39 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

3rd in the league in KO coverage, 6th in the league in punt coverage. 6th in the league in punts inside the 20, 3rd fewest punts for touchback in the league.

On a quick check I think you're reading the punt stats backwards. I see the stats as fifth fewest punts inside the 20 and fifth most touchbacks - both being ties of course.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2014&seasonType=REG&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PUNTING&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=PUNTING_TOUCHBACKS

Post #: 72
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 4:12:16 PM   
David F.

Fourth most touchbacks - my mistake earlier.

Post #: 73
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/22/2014 4:53:13 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

On a quick check I think you're reading the punt stats backwards. I see the stats as fifth fewest punts inside the 20 and fifth most touchbacks - both being ties of course.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2014&seasonType=REG&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PUNTING&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=PUNTING_TOUCHBACKS

I see, but 3rd in the league in KO coverage, 6th in the league in punt coverage, still stand.
Post #: 74
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/23/2014 9:15:05 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I see, but 3rd in the league in KO coverage, 6th in the league in punt coverage, still stand.

Unless him(Priefer) and Zimmer don't get along, I would expect him back next year.
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode