Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Mike Priefer must GO

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/23/2014 9:45:08 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I can see it going either way.  Priefer isn't a Zim guy (meaning he didn't bring him in specifically like Norv).  I think (guessing) that Zim's last concern, going in, was ST's so he just let it ride with what we had.  Now that he's had a year to digest the D, and to a lesser extent, the O, he may bring in another one of his guys. 
Post #: 76
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/23/2014 10:52:54 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

i seriously hope he quits letting the OL coach rest on his laurels for AP's 2000+ yard season and demands better.

Maybe there was no one willing to take a job under an "unproven" rookie head coach, but I think that the way this team is trending, will open some reluctant eyes and possibly bring in even more new blood in the way of "good" FA Players and even position coaches who want to jump on the elevator, as it continues it's rise.

Zim needs to be as honest with his end of year staff evaluations as he is with player and game day performance and make the changes he sees as necessary.

Screw the "good ol boy" network who discounted Zim for all those years, anyway, and build a staff and roster that gets us the championship.

If that happens, nay, when, he will supplant Grant as best Vikings coach ever.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 77
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/23/2014 1:34:31 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

i seriously hope he quits letting the OL coach rest on his laurels for AP's 2000+ yard season and demands better.

Maybe there was no one willing to take a job under an "unproven" rookie head coach, but I think that the way this team is trending, will open some reluctant eyes and possibly bring in even more new blood in the way of "good" FA Players and even position coaches who want to jump on the elevator, as it continues it's rise.

Zim needs to be as honest with his end of year staff evaluations as he is with player and game day performance and make the changes he sees as necessary.

Screw the "good ol boy" network who discounted Zim for all those years, anyway, and build a staff and roster that gets us the championship.

If that happens, nay, when, he will supplant Grant as best Vikings coach ever.

To win the big one, the one thing Grant was never able to do, would indeed place Zimmer above Grant in Vikings Lore. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. He doesn't even have a winning season yet...much less a playoff appearance, playoff win, etc.

Right now Bad Childress has still accomplished more.

But Zimmer's got this team moving in the right direction. I hope the improvement continues.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 78
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/26/2014 4:16:58 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

The special teams are borderline incompetent and have cost Minnesota back to back victories.

From DRV's post about TB...

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 79
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/26/2014 8:00:55 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

The special teams are borderline incompetent and have cost Minnesota back to back victories.

From DRV's post about TB...

His first bad snap in 11 years and it's on Priefer?

This thread ain't happening if it ain't for Kluwe.

And yes I'm probably defending Priefer more than I would otherwise if I didn't think Kluwe was a dick
Post #: 80
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/26/2014 8:34:09 PM   
Jeff Jesser

It is weird.  People seem to be blaming this on Preifer.  Blame what though?

1.  One bad snap in 11 years, not Pfeffffer's fault.
2.  Walsh hitting a wall (could be Pfefffffer's fault for sure but who knows?  If he's the problem, why didn't it surface earlier?)
3.  CP's drop off.  Can't account for his drop off in the offense too.   To me, that points more to CP than Pfeffffffer.

Could the guy be a problem, sure, but I'm not convinced. 
Post #: 81
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/26/2014 11:39:36 PM   
bgdavis

The special teams hasn't been stellar in every game, but it's not the reason that the Vikings have lost 9 games. ST mistakes were likely factors in 2 of the losses this year. However, those mistakes weren't scheme-related - they were breakdowns by individual players (MIA - bad snap on blocked punt, DET (2nd game) - missed block on a FG attempt), and Locke also failed to pin teams deep when they had the chance. Blaming the coach for those miscues seems to be a pretty big stretch.

If we're judging position & unit coaches by the severity of their player's mistakes, then the OLine coach, DB coach, LB coach, WR coach and RB coach all should get tossed long before the ST coach.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 82
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/27/2014 9:23:06 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

The special teams hasn't been stellar in every game, but it's not the reason that the Vikings have lost 9 games. ST mistakes were likely factors in 2 of the losses this year. However, those mistakes weren't scheme-related - they were breakdowns by individual players (MIA - bad snap on blocked punt, DET (2nd game) - missed block on a FG attempt), and Locke also failed to pin teams deep when they had the chance. Blaming the coach for those miscues seems to be a pretty big stretch.

If we're judging position & unit coaches by the severity of their player's mistakes, then the OLine coach, DB coach, LB coach, WR coach and RB coach all should get tossed long before the ST coach.

This thread really belongs in the Politics thread.
Post #: 83
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/27/2014 3:33:33 PM  4 votes
David F.

Let's put it this way. If Priefer isn't responsible for any of the miscues or Locke's poor performance or CP's regression or Sherel's regression but he is responsible for good net return averages on both kicks and punts where the kicker has has the sixth best touchback percentage in the league and the punter has the 23rd best gross punt average - then I want that job. Just get a kickoff guy with a big leg and a crappy punter and nothing will ever be your fault ever. Apparently even if you boot one into the endzone when you're kicking off from the 50. Let me guess - that wasn't Priefer's fault either?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 84
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/27/2014 4:46:36 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Let's put it this way. If Priefer isn't responsible for any of the miscues or Locke's poor performance or CP's regression or Sherel's regression but he is responsible for good net return averages on both kicks and punts where the kicker has has the sixth best touchback percentage in the league and the punter has the 23rd best gross punt average - then I want that job. Just get a kickoff guy with a big leg and a crappy punter and nothing will ever be your fault ever. Apparently even if you boot one into the endzone when you're kicking off from the 50. Let me guess - that wasn't Priefer's fault either?

Do they count the ones(Kickoffs) that aren't returned in the net average?
Post #: 85
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/27/2014 4:50:52 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

I think people are saying the good outweighs the bad. Football wise.
Post #: 86
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/27/2014 8:11:44 PM   
Jeff Jesser

He brings up good points.  CP has been very average (and I'm being nice), Sherels.....has he even returned a punt in the past 3 games (serious question)?  Walsh has fallen off the planet as a "reliable kicker".  

Locke has been average/sucked, IMO, since he's been here so I give Prefffffffer a pass on that one.

The "snap" wasn't his fault, IMO.

That being said, our ST's have regressed as a whole.  No doubt about that. 
Post #: 87
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/27/2014 8:22:40 PM   
David Levine

Walsh had a pretty rough final year in school, and Preifer got a lot of credit for turning his game around/fixing some issues as a rookie.

So did Preifer do something to undo his good work, or is Walsh just really good, but susceptible to prolonged funks?
Post #: 88
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/27/2014 9:20:07 PM  1 votes
thebigo

MUST GO, MUST GO, Mike Priefer must go, for the sake of the Vikings, Mike Priefer must go, MUST GO, MUST GO...
Post #: 89
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/27/2014 11:16:29 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Walsh had a pretty rough final year in school, and Preifer got a lot of credit for turning his game around/fixing some issues as a rookie.

So did Preifer do something to undo his good work, or is Walsh just really good, but susceptible to prolonged funks?

And then he sent his holder packing and it hasn't been the same since. But we saved some money. Of course when it comes to AD then we don't really need to save any money even though we've got him in a pinch and he's being criminally overpaid but by all means save a little bit of money on the punter and then draft a guy that gives pretty close to the same results.

My friends, that is mismanagement of a team at it's finest.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 90
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/28/2014 9:12:06 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

And then he sent his holder packing and it hasn't been the same since. But we saved some money. Of course when it comes to AD then we don't really need to save any money even though we've got him in a pinch and he's being criminally overpaid but by all means save a little bit of money on the punter and then draft a guy that gives pretty close to the same results.

My friends, that is mismanagement of a team at it's finest.

When you compare overpaying AD to overpaying a punter, you lose all credibility imo.

One carried us to the playoffs when we had no business being there and the other told us how hard it is to punt the ball where you want to when he caught some flak.

Anyway, seems to be a pretty easy solution when I look at all your posts. Get rid of Locke. Not the outcome you want but probably would be a good management decision.
Post #: 91
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 12/28/2014 8:15:15 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

MUST GO, MUST GO, Mike Priefer must go, for the sake of the Vikings, Mike Priefer must go, MUST GO, MUST GO...

No "Jesus Christ Superstar" aficionados hereabouts?
Post #: 92
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/24/2015 6:26:08 AM   
Todd M

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_finish_10th_in_annual_special_teams_rankings012315
The Vikings' special teams units experienced soaring highs and some devastating lows in 2014.

Despite the ups and downs, Minnesota finished 10th in the Dallas Morning News' annual special teams rankings. The News has been compiling rankings based on 22 categories for every season since 1980. The Vikings improved from 17th in 2013.

10th. Smoke and mirrors. Feels more like the 9th loser.
Post #: 93
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/24/2015 9:10:21 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Plus he gets the homophobe vote.. so he has that going for him, which is , you know, .. nice...

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 94
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/24/2015 10:32:33 AM   
Ricky J

:)
Post #: 95
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/24/2015 11:19:47 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Plus he gets the homophobe vote.. so he has that going for him, which is , you know, .. nice...

Should start a get rid of Priefer/keep him poll, you know, get the homophobe count on these boards.
Post #: 96
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/24/2015 11:32:24 AM   
Ricky J

I know a guy who has a best friend who's gay so I'm good.
Post #: 97
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/24/2015 11:38:33 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Are you for keeping Priefer or not? THAT will tell the tale!
Post #: 98
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/24/2015 1:58:50 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Are you for keeping Priefer or not? THAT will tell the tale!

I don't know who said they'd be in favor of a ST coach that no one knew his/her name but I'm kind of in that camp.

I am, however, not in the camp of getting rid of the guy because he got into it with a loud mouth punter craving attention. That we are putting MP under the microscope because of Kluwe makes me ill.
Post #: 99
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 1/24/2015 4:34:52 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I think you actually want a ST coach who is so good at his job, that other reams consider your special teams performance an additional weapon.

His name should be known by both the media and opposing head coaches, as a guy who makes his team markedly better and harder to defeat, because they are exceptional in that phase of the game, "special team plays".

MP, not so much.

I'm also on record as throwing Jeff Davidson, under the same bus, so it's not just my intolerance of intolerance, it's my low tolerance for stupid.

Which you are not, and I still owe you ten bucks...plus interest, over my belief that Favrey would set the single season franchise record for interceptions, in 2009.

I was wrong.

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode