Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 8:22:32 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Whalen is having a hell of a game.

Her back-down and spinning basket with about a minute left was HUGE

Would have had no chance without her.

But I hear she's overrated.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3301
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 8:32:32 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Was fun thinking about all the success she's had in that barn.
Post #: 3302
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 8:36:01 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Little pudgy girl grows up in tiny Hutch, dreams big.
Takes her homestate team to new heights.
Pairs with gals from the ELITE schools, and becomes their leader.
4 titles later.
She's WEEZY, and she's on the All-sexes Minnesota Sports Mt Rushmore.
Great story. That gal would DIE to win a game.
Post #: 3303
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 8:44:24 AM   
SoMnFan

And partying.

Whalen, in the plastic-lined locker room, clutched two bottles.

Precious, for the former Gopher.

“I never drank champagne in the Barn before,” she said. Then she smiled: “Not that anybody knows about, anyway.”

Post #: 3304
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 8:56:47 AM   
SoMnFan

MINNEAPOLIS -- There are moments that win championships, and there are Lindsay Whalen moments. So many of them Wednesday night were one and the same, in the building where Whalen starred for the University of Minnesota and her retired No. 13 hangs in the rafters.

The banner features an iconic photo of a focused, intense Whalen driving for a twisting layup. Whalen flashed that look and that determination multiple times in Game 5, contributing 17 points and eight assists as the gritty Minnesota Lynx outworked and outlasted the Los Angeles Sparks 85-76. Minnesota won a record-tying fourth WNBA title, while Rebekkah Brunson earned her fifth, the most in WNBA history.

In each of those moments the sellout crowd of 14,632 roared as one, a crescendo so loud the raised floor vibrated, as it did in 2004 when Whalen willed the Gophers to the Final Four. "Unbelievable," she said after Wednesday's win.

Whalen made terrific plays throughout, both big and small. A 3-pointer to finish the 7-0 opening run that got the Lynx rolling. A second-quarter pass to Seimone Augustus for a 3-pointer after missing one of her own, prompting Whalen to turn and gesture to the roaring crowd.

But Whalen was at her absolute best in the fourth quarter, with eight points and three assists, accounting for more than half of Minnesota's 25 points in the period.

Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve took a calculated risk and kept Whalen on the floor the whole 10 minutes, which usually doesn't happen. Backup Renee Montgomery generally plays the first five minutes allowing the 35-year-old Whalen to be rested for the final five. But baskets by Candace Parker and Chelsea Gray late in the third quarter cut Minnesota's lead to 60-56, making the whole place nervous, including the coach. Whalen was playing so well that Reeve didn't dare take her off the floor.

"You don't want anybody out there that can't perform because of fatigue," Reeve said. "But I just thought Whalen had a way about her today. If I had taken her out, she might have been really [angry] at me for a long time."

Championship moments were about to happen.

Minnesota called a set play on its first possession, trying to get the ball deep to center Sylvia Fowles. But the play broke down, and Whalen, dribbling at the top of the key, ad-libbed, waving Fowles out of the post so she could take Riquna Williams one-on-one. Whalen backed Williams into the lane, spun and swished a fadeaway jumper. Then Fowles hit a layup off an Augustus feed, to give the Lynx a little cushion.

"I'd like to have run the play the way we had it drawn up," Whalen said. "But sometimes you have to go and make a play, and I had to make a play there."

"She was so good all game. And we needed it. ... Ball pressure was getting to us in other games. She just decided to be very, very aggressive and get to the rim whenever she could."

Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve on point guard Lindsay Whalen

This is the Whalen the Lynx missed while she sat out the final 12 regular-season games with a broken bone in her left hand -- not the one who went scoreless with no assists in Game 3. On a night all the Lynx hustled and scrapped, outrebounding the Sparks 46-29 and forcing 17 turnovers, Whalen did her part. That basket got the Lynx going again.

"That's Weezy Whalen," Augustus said. "That's the Whalen that we know. She's been waiting for this moment. Obviously she had to sit out a little while with a broken hand. But what she did in that position was what we expect from Whalen any time she's in a tough situation. A great player making a great play."

Two minutes later Whalen drove the lane and laid it in off glass, giving Minnesota a seven-point lead. Candace Parker, so good all night (19 points with 15 rebounds), cut it to four with a 3-pointer. Whalen brought the ball down, lost it under defensive pressure, dove on the floor to get it back and fed Fowles for a layup and a foul shot. On back-to-back possessions Whalen found Augustus and Brunson for jump shots.

A year after watching Los Angeles win the WNBA title on Minnesota's home court, the Lynx didn't let another Game 5 get away. Minnesota defeated L.A. 85-76 on Wednesday to join the Houston Comets as the only four-time WNBA champions.

For years, dominant teams at the college, pro and Olympic level took some of the drama out of women's basketball's biggest moments. The sharply played, bone-crushing, heavyweight bouts between Minnesota and Los Angeles are just what the game needed.

"She was so good all game," Reeve said. "And we needed it. It was something that was on our minds. We needed her to be aggressive. Ball pressure was getting to us in other games. She just decided to be very, very aggressive and get to the rim whenever she could."

Brunson followed up her strong Game 4 with another energetic effort (13 points, eight rebounds), and Augustus (14 points, six rebounds, six assists) was good throughout. Fowles, the MVP of the championship series, set two Finals records with her fifth double-double and 20 rebounds. She also had 17 points.

The final minute turned crazy, with Whalen and Fowles committing turnovers under pressure. But steady Maya Moore (18 points, 10 rebounds) drove for a floater, essentially sealing the victory.

"We just wanted to prove that we still got it, that we've still got a little bit of juice left in the tank," Augustus said.

That they did. Whalen reveled in the locker-room celebration, an orange championship ball cap on her head, a bottle of champagne in her hand and a puddle of bubbly at her feet. "I never drank champagne in The Barn," she said slyly. "Not that anybody knows about."

The way the Lynx won reminded Whalen of a quote former Lynx assistant coach Jim Petersen used to text her before big games. It's from former Houston Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich, and the words perfectly describe the championship Lynx as a collective. One year after that heartbreaking loss to the Sparks at home in Game 5, the Lynx got one back, led by their gritty point guard who would not let it happen again.

"We had all those turnovers at the end and they almost came back," she said. "All I have to say is, 'Never underestimate the heart of a champion
Post #: 3305
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 9:08:51 AM   
TJSweens

Chalk this one up to the starting 5. They all had to play big minutes as the bench was absolutely terrible.
Augustus and Whalen, who one poster says are really showing their age combined for 31 pts, 14 ast, + 24 against the young, too energetic to handle backcourt of Sims and Gray 29 pts, 11 ast, -23. Not bad for a couple of has beens. And Simone had 55 cc of fluid drained out of her knee the day before logging 35 minutes. Those 2 are just a couple of warriors. They have aged liked the Parker / Ginobli tandem did for the Spurs.

Brunson is still ageless. She took a hard look in the mirror after her game 1 performance and was a force of nature the rest of the series. Active, played great D, crashed the boards and chipped in double digit points the rest of the way.

Maya was Maya. Great defense; no Lynx game would be complete without a couple of Maya Moore steal / layups. As always delivers the big shot at the big moment. There are other times where she seems like a stealth performer. I can’t remember her on a scoring run or crashing the boards, but you look at the numbers in the end she led the team in scoring and had 10 rebounds. Although this series she also delivered by far the most “what the bleep was she thinking” moments.

Finally, there is Big Syl. What stood out the most to me this series is after being the consummate skill inside player, Syl showed a real nasty streak in this series. She turned Ogwumike, one of the dirtier players in the league, into her personal punching bag at time. Nneka looked pretty battered by the end. Stitches under her eye, swollen jaw and assorted bumps and bruises. She dominated the boards like nobody else ever in a WNBA championship series. In 5 games, she first set and then broke her own single game rebound record. Every trip down court by the end turned into one and done for LA. Syl just refused to let a second shot happen.

I love that there are no individual egos in this bunch. They play and sacrifice for each other. I noticed that every time LA was forced to call time out after a Lynx run there was no jawing and chest bumping. They came off the floor looking stone faced and focused. Almost as if saying, we’ll do our celebrating when we win. Until then there is nothing to celebrate.

Congratulations to the Lynx! This is their best championship team IMO because they defeated by far the toughest finals competition they ever faced. The league is getting better and the Lynx are still sitting at the top of it.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 10/5/2017 9:13:59 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3306
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 9:57:47 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

I still hate Candace Parker.

Yeah, me too. She was a whiny diva to the end, which makes the whole thing that much more gratifying. I pretty much feel the same way about Nnecka. With that said, Candace is one damn good basketball player. And she is their undisputed leader. You could make a case for her being the best player on the floor.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3307
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 10:08:17 AM  1 votes
MarkWren

Kudos to the veteran Lynx squad on a 4th title! They had to leave it all on the floor to get it done, and it worked out in the end.

That said, I still maintain it's crummy basketball overall. Improving, perhaps. But stupid turnovers (over & back on Maya Moore 1st half...WTH?), poor ball-handling & decision-making in the last minute nearly leading to the greatest meltdown in championship sports history (thank you Maya Moore for the off-balance floater that went down to save us!), and the complete inability of the subs to step up in the big game lead me to conclude that this league has a LONG way to go to approach mediocrity. These were the two BEST teams? It just blows my mind.

Lindsay Whalen has a bright future in coaching. So proud of her gritting it out & leading the way, on her home floor, for one last ride. I'd imagine she'll hang it up as a player now. If so, what a way to go out! All in all, very pleased to see a MN squad get it done at crunch time for a league title, however flawed said league may be. (Heck, the NFL is far from perfect too now that I think of it.) I guess a title's a title.
Post #: 3308
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 10:17:56 AM   
TJSweens

The sloppy ass stuff you talk about happens plenty in the men's game as well. I have turned off many an NBA game because the level of focus was so bad as the game became unwatchable.

And I'll be shocked if Lindsey hangs it up at this point.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 10/5/2017 10:20:27 AM >

Post #: 3309
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 10:24:08 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I thought Maya's runner was the key basket that they had to have. I turned the game on with a minute to play and I thought I was jinxing the team.

Absolutely right. If Moore misses that the Lynx have a chance at the greatest choke in WNBA history.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3310
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 10:25:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens
The sloppy ass stuff you talk about happens plenty in the men's game as well. I have turned off many an NBA game because the level of focus was so bad as the game became unwatchable.
And I'll be shocked if Lindsey hangs it up at this point.

Always wonder if Lindsey wants a couple of kids or not....probably the only thing stopping her from playing until she is 40 since her game isn't speed based.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/5/2017 10:26:28 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3311
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 10:25:36 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whalen had a great game. I think it's fair to say she had some very not great games in this finals also. However, she came up huge last night.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3312
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 10:33:25 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkWren

Kudos to the veteran Lynx squad on a 4th title! They had to leave it all on the floor to get it done, and it worked out in the end.

That said, I still maintain it's crummy basketball overall. Improving, perhaps. But stupid turnovers (over & back on Maya Moore 1st half...WTH?), poor ball-handling & decision-making in the last minute nearly leading to the greatest meltdown in championship sports history (thank you Maya Moore for the off-balance floater that went down to save us!), and the complete inability of the subs to step up in the big game lead me to conclude that this league has a LONG way to go to approach mediocrity. These were the two BEST teams? It just blows my mind.

Lindsay Whalen has a bright future in coaching. So proud of her gritting it out & leading the way, on her home floor, for one last ride. I'd imagine she'll hang it up as a player now. If so, what a way to go out! All in all, very pleased to see a MN squad get it done at crunch time for a league title, however flawed said league may be. (Heck, the NFL is far from perfect too now that I think of it.) I guess a title's a title.

I don't know what you want Mark. If you want the ladies to be as good as the men it isn't going to happen. However, if grit and determination and will to win impress you the Lynx have it more than any men's team to ever play the game in Minnesota.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3313
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 10:53:08 AM   
Lynn G.

I always feel a bit guilty that I don't watch women's sports (except for in bits and pieces), but I've have to say I'm so proud of our Lynx. Winning the fourth game on the road in LA showed such grit, and then that grit continued into last night. I was at the world premier of one of those campy movies ("Demon with the Atomic Brain") but the first thing I did when I got in my car was switch on the radio to find out how the Lynx did.

Between the Lynx and Gopher Women's Hockey - we've got a lot to be proud of. Kudos to you guys here who watch and support them.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 3314
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 11:27:14 AM   
Trekgeekscott

Maybe this coach needs to speak in the Vikings lockerroom about what it will take to overcome the obstacles they have to win it all.

Four titles in what 6 years?

They have a word for that folks, DYNASTY. Plus I think they've been in the finals six times in the last seven years.

They are doing something right here.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 10/5/2017 11:30:31 AM >

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3315
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 11:43:50 AM   
Aaron Cross

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I don't know what you want Mark. If you want the ladies to be as good as the men it isn't going to happen. However, if grit and determination and will to win impress you the Lynx have it more than any men's team to ever play the game in Minnesota.

Excellent point. I have never seen a Minnesota team with so much heart. The effort shown on that court by both teams was amazing. Imagine if Gardenhire’s playoff teams had played with a fraction of that mental toughness, heart, grit, and determination.
Post #: 3316
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 12:31:11 PM   
David Levine

Outstanding article from the NY Times:

Minnesota Lynx, a Model W.N.B.A. Franchise, Eye Another Title

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/sports/basketball/wnba-finals-minnesota-lynx.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fsports
Post #: 3317
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 4:40:58 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aaron Cross

quote:

quote:

Excellent point. I have never seen a Minnesota team with so much heart. The effort shown on that court by both teams was amazing. Imagine if Gardenhire’s playoff teams had played with a fraction of that mental toughness, heart, grit, and determination.

This Lynx team was a lot more fun to watch than any NBA game I have seen recently. Granted, I don't watch the NBA other than the last minute of any game, since the rest of the game is a slam dunk or 3-point shooting contest. These ladies play as a team and more importantly play for each other.
Post #: 3318
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 4:50:18 PM   
Bruce Johnson

An LA fan had sour grapes after the game and told me that she thought the referees gave the game to the Lynx by calling the game so tight against her squad.

I reminded her of the two blown calls late in last years finale. As for last night, I couldn't really comment because I only watched the final minute.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3319
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 7:17:21 PM   
TJSweens

The only thing that was surprising about the officiating is that they didn't let Nneka Ogwumike get away with her usual crap.

Post #: 3320
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 8:38:43 PM  1 votes
MarkWren

quote:

quote:

Here's what I want: fundamentals. Discipline. Ability to close out games in crunch time without both hands on our own throats.

Ever watch the LPGA? Those ladies put the men to shame in terms of posture, tempo, consistent ball-striking, and often, poise. I see little solid fundamental play in the WNBA, and it's a turnoff. Anyone who knows the game realizes how weak the overall level of play is. I take no joy in pointing this out.

And grit/determination/will: I give you the '87 Minnesota Twins. And the '91 Twins. And several Gopher hockey teams--men's and women's. For starters.
Post #: 3321
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/5/2017 8:49:25 PM  1 votes
David Levine

I guess I don't know the game because I see a lot more fundamentals than I do from a lot of NBA players.

The biggest problem with the men's game is its all about athletic ability and one-on-one play. And you have guys that barely spend a year in college and never really learn the basics.

The women play a much more complete team game. They men play a much more wide-open, high-flying game.

All the thing you complain about can be found in most NBA games as well.
Post #: 3322
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 10:21:23 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's what I want: fundamentals. Discipline. Ability to close out games in crunch time without both hands on our own throats.

Ever watch the LPGA? Those ladies put the men to shame in terms of posture, tempo, consistent ball-striking, and often, poise. I see little solid fundamental play in the WNBA, and it's a turnoff. Anyone who knows the game realizes how weak the overall level of play is. I take no joy in pointing this out.

And grit/determination/will: I give you the '87 Minnesota Twins. And the '91 Twins. And several Gopher hockey teams--men's and women's. For starters.

Nope those teams weren't as good in the grit, determination, will to win. Also I have seen many times when fundamentals, discipline and ability to close out games in crunch time without hands on throats was exhibited. You noticed a time of sloppy play. It happens. Very not sloppy play happens more often for the Lynx, within the consideration of the ladies lesser physical capabilities.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 10/6/2017 10:26:20 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3323
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 10:25:25 AM   
Aaron Cross

The 87&91 Twins weren’t anywhere close to the Lynx in grit and determination? You obviously didn’t watch those games.
Post #: 3324
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 10:28:24 AM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aaron Cross

The 87&91 Twins weren’t anywhere close to the Lynx in grit and determination? You obviously didn’t watch those games.

I absolutely did watch those games. For the 1991 season I was working at those games. I went overboard saying not close. I edited my comment to simply not as good. Jack Morris pitching extra innings was gritty as hell. Kirby Puckett with the catch and homer was Gritty as hell. Still the Lynx over the course of this run have been more gritty.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3325
Page:   <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode