Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2018 12:17:08 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Lynx make a trade today that is mind blowing by normal draft standards. They trade two second round picks for one third round pick this year and a second round pick next year. Normally it is supposed to be the other way around. With the last pick in this years WNBA they take Carlie Wagner from the University of Minnesota. I was hoping we would keep the South Korean Center we drafted.

Bizarre.

Normally you don't trade a 2nd this year for a third this year or a 2nd this year for a 2nd next year. They just can't see anybody who can help them now so are hoping to find someone who can help them later.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3351
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2018 6:54:52 AM   
TJSweens

The Lynx have almost no roster spots open this year. The Las Vegas pick next year will likely be at the top of the second round.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3352
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2018 10:28:24 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The Lynx have almost no roster spots open this year. The Las Vegas pick next year will likely be at the top of the second round.

Yup. Most likely they were going to cut whoever they drafted this year. Next year could be a big overhaul with this likely being Whalen's last year, and I could see Brunson retiring as well if she wins her 5th championship.
Post #: 3353
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2018 10:46:25 AM   
TJSweens

Yup. This year's draft also didn't really feature any foreign players, who weren't looking to jump to the NBA right away. Otherwise the Lynx might have done a draft and wait. Reeve commented that next year's draft looks to be pretty deep and a good year to have an extra pick.

I think there might actually one open roster spot this year. Unless my math is wrong (which it often is), the Lynx lost 4 players and picked up 3 in the off season. Wagner is certainly a long shot as a 3rd round pick, but she does have attributes that give a her chance, however small. She is a 41% 3 point shooter, which is a pretty scarce commodity on the Lynx. She's also a highly intelligent player and good decision maker. Wagner is also a good athlete and conditions at a freakish level. She can play every minute of a game and show absolutely no signs of fatigue. On top of that, Reeves really seems to like her and personally scouted a lot of her games this year. Like I said, her odds are long, but it's not out of the question.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 4/13/2018 10:47:56 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3354
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2018 10:56:31 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Yup. This year's draft also didn't really feature any foreign players, who weren't looking to jump to the NBA right away. Otherwise the Lynx might have done a draft and wait. Reeve commented that next year's draft looks to be pretty deep and a good year to have an extra pick.

I think there might actually one open roster spot this year. Unless my math is wrong (which it often is), the Lynx lost 4 players and picked up 3 in the off season. Wagner is certainly a long shot as a 3rd round pick, but she does have attributes that give a her chance, however small. She is a 41% 3 point shooter, which is a pretty scarce commodity on the Lynx. She's also a highly intelligent player and good decision maker. Wagner is also a good athlete and conditions at a freakish level. She can play every minute of a game and show absolutely no signs of fatigue. On top of that, Reeves really seems to like her and personally scouted a lot of her games this year. Like I said, her odds are long, but it's not out of the question.

We could really use her as our two biggest acquisitions aren't 3 point shooters at all.
Post #: 3355
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2018 11:02:07 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

We could really use her as our two biggest acquisitions aren't 3 point shooters at all.

Lindsay Whalen has raved about Wagner's 3 point stroke. It's as mechanically sound as you hope for and according to Whalen, Wagner is never off line with it, no matter where she shoots it. When she misses, it's either a little strong or a little short, but it's never off line.

Post #: 3356
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2018 1:24:06 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Lindsay Whalen has raved about Wagner's 3 point stroke. It's as mechanically sound as you hope for and according to Whalen, Wagner is never off line with it, no matter where she shoots it. When she misses, it's either a little strong or a little short, but it's never off line.

Yet the Lynx didn't utilize either of their second round picks on her so they are likely not that high on her.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3357
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2018 3:29:12 PM   
Phil Riewer

OR the Lynx are smarter than any of us and knew Carlie would last until the last pick.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3358
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2018 3:39:38 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

OR the Lynx are smarter than any of us and knew Carlie would last until the last pick.

That's fairly likely since Carley was invited to the draft party. Most mocks predicted that pick. I would say the amount of time Reeve spent personally watching her this year would be a much stronger indication of the Lynx interest level.

Post #: 3359
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2018 3:52:41 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

That's fairly likely since Carley was invited to the draft party. Most mocks predicted that pick. I would say the amount of time Reeve spent personally watching her this year would be a much stronger indication of the Lynx interest level.

My point is if they were really high on her they wouldn't have risked waiting until the very last pick. You can't know that every other team is going to pass on a very good player three times. It could just be a PR move.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3360
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/21/2018 7:32:01 AM   
Mr. Ed

Getting young people — particularly young women — to attend games is something Silver and the WNBA have been working on. The biggest demographic who supports the league, he said, is old men who like fundamental basketball.

And in order to get the league to draw more eyes, they’re contemplating moving the season away from the summer and into a more traditional spot in the winter.

“It’s been harder to get people to come to the games,” Silver said. “It may be because the games are in the summer. One of the things we’ve talked about is do we need to shift to the so-called more natural basketball season sort of in the fall and winter?”

Sure, maybe shifting the WNBA season to the winter — when fans are already used to watching most of their basketball — would help. But the league could also fall into the shadow of the NBA, college basketball, or even the NHL. Right now, it’s only main competitor in the United States in baseball.

While he admits that the league has improved tremendously since it first formed 21 years ago, Silver knows they have to keep growing — and growing with the right audience — if the WNBA is going to keep trending up.

IMO, you move it to winter...the league dies.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 3361
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/21/2018 10:16:32 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

What a mind numbingly stupid idea.

Post #: 3362
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/30/2018 4:20:58 PM   
TJSweens

Ex-Gopher Carlie Wagner takes a shot with Lynx
The defending league champions are deep at guard, so playing overseas might be a path to the WNBA.
By Kent Youngblood Star Tribune

On draft night, Carlie Wagner and Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve sat down and talked.

Wagner, the University of Minnesota star, had just been taken by the Lynx in the third round. She was joining a team that, by the time trading camp started Sunday, would be extraordinarily deep at guard.

Reeve’s message: “The first thing she told me was not to come in with the attitude of I have to make the team,’’ Wagner said. “You won’t play your best. You’ll stress yourself out. It’s just a lot more work if you think that way.’’

Wagner’s odds are long. The Lynx have Lindsay Whalen and Seimone Augustus starting; and Tanisha Wright, Danielle Robinson and second-year player Alexis Jones — last year’s first-round pick — off the bench.

Indeed, for any young, untested player, making what will likely be an 11-player final roster will be difficult, though the situation for backup forwards and centers is a little less set. But for Wagner, rookie forward Jill Barta, forward Breanna Richardson (who is at her second Lynx camp) and others, the goal should be to make an impression.

Reeve wants them to not worry, be themselves, play well enough that the Lynx remember them.

“It’s a process,’’ Reeve said. “That’s what we want to impress on the young players. It’s a tough nut to crack, this league is not easy to get into. But you want to get a knowledge bank on each of these players.’’

Reeve offered two examples. Jessica Adair was cut from Lynx training camp in 2010. She stayed in shape, and was called back at the end of the regular season. She played well enough to get into training camp in 2011, made the team and now owns a WNBA championship ring. Same thing with former Gophers star Shae Kelley, who was brought back during the 2015 season and was part of another Lynx title team.

“I looked at the team,’’ rookie Barta said. “Deep. Veteran. Good. Coming off a championship run. It’s like, ‘What am I stepping into?’ But I have to take advantage of this. Learn.’’

So the drill is, work hard, be yourself, show the coaches something. Then, even though you don’t make the team, go play overseas. Improve. Another chance might be coming.

“This roster is obviously madly talented, so if it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t mean the door is closed,’’ Wagner said. “It just means you go in and put in more work, go overseas and come back and work harder.’’

Said Reeve: “There are players who leave us that we say we are sure we want to see them again. We tell them, be ready. Always be ready for the phone call. You’re a trade or an injury away for the opportunity to come back.’’

Post #: 3363
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/11/2018 6:35:32 PM   
Minnyme

Ok time for the 2ndt and only pre-season home game Lynx get back into the Target Center for the 1st time since the renovation- Sat 5/12 game time 7:00pm.

If you have a subscription to The Athletic ( https://theathletic.com/lynx/ )there are 2 folks (Tyler Mason and Sloane Martin ) on the beat and they've written some great articles since training camp started up.
Post #: 3364
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/11/2018 7:33:18 PM   
El Duderino

quote:

The biggest demographic who supports the league, he said, is old men who like fundamental basketball.

I would not have guessed that, though I must confess that the shoe fits.

quote:

IMO, you move it to winter...the league dies.

Agreed. One big factor not mentioned in the article is that the players typically go play in foreign leagues in the winter. And those leagues typically pay better - a LOT better in some cases. Maya Moore and Sylvia Fowles, for example, both have made upwards of half a million for a season in China, compared with the WNBA max salary of 110,000. Not to say that 110K is anything to sneeze at, but I imagine a lot of players would have a hard time picking the WNBA if forced to choose.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 3365
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/11/2018 8:19:45 PM   
Minnyme

Lynx have cut 3; forwards Jill Barta and Breanna Richardson and center Vionise Pierre-Louis.
3 more due in camp; 2 still playing in the Italian league finals ( Cecilia Zandalasini, Endy Miyem play on the same team)
Maya s/b in town now having won the Russian league title, not likely to play Sat night.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=

Lynx preview Roundtable (from some internal folks) ... http://lynx.wnba.com/news/lynx-season-preview-roundtable/

Kyle Ratke, Digital Content Manager:

The Lynx are the gold-standard of the WNBA on and off the court. They’ve won four titles since 2011 and players want to play here. That’s why we saw Perkins in 2016 and Plenette Pierson last season so willingly join the team, and why we saw Robinson smile after being traded here this offseason. Oh, and the opportunity to play for the Lynx got Wright to COME OUT OF RETIREMENT!

(Technically, Wright was taking the year off.)

The Lynx should be the favorites to win the 2018 title, but it won’t be easy, obviously. The Sparks are right there as well, and the Lynx can’t pump the brakes at all if they want to repeat for the first time in team history. The core of this team isn’t getting younger, but Moore, Fowles and Robinson are still in their primes. I don’t look at this as the beginning of the end, or the end of anything. I think we’re right in the middle of another string of championships. Brunson is in incredible shape, Whalen is one of the most-competitive people ever and Augustus has become such a great all-around offensive player. ...

To say we're "in the middle of another string of championships" maybe stretching it a bit. Beyond this season (and maybe next if Whalen & Brunson still have the desire), remaining contenders is not out of the question but at some point 1 of these young teams is going to figure it out.
But until then, just continue to enjoy the ride
Post #: 3366
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/17/2018 11:56:17 PM   
Minnyme

More stuff from The Athletic, parts of a really nice long article ...

https://theathletic.com/355361/2018/05/15/cheryl-reeve-lynx-coach-gm-wnba-title-champions-lindsay-whalen/

The four rings on Cheryl Reeve’s fingers should serve as all the validation she needs. She has built a dynasty in Minnesota, the land of 10,000 letdowns.

She is about to start her ninth season with the Lynx, and with the newly minted title of general manager to go with her head-coaching duties, she has never been more powerful. Despite all her success, despite helping to turn what was a woebegone franchise into the envy of the WNBA, one thought sits in the back of her mind as the Lynx prepare to pursue their fifth title in eight seasons.

Don’t screw it up. ...

She finished her thought with her hand above her head, and really it could have been so much higher. The Lynx are the women’s version of the Warriors, with four All-Stars, a forward-thinking coach and the realization that if they make it to the finals and lose, people will ask them what went wrong. ...

Now Reeve is on her own at the top after Griffith decided to leave, a move some in the organization expected to happen eventually, if not quite this soon.

She still has the same core on which to rely that has brought the Lynx those four titles: in-their-prime MVPs Maya Moore and Sylvia Fowles buttressed by aging stars Seimone Augustus, Lindsay Whalen and Rebekkah Brunson.

But the target on their backs has only gotten larger, the contempt only more bitter as the Lynx have refused to go away.

“You know what’s hard, we’re under siege,” Reeve said. “People don’t want us to win anymore. Free agency is even hard. These are players that are playing against us for a number of years and hate us. So the idea of ‘I’m not going to the Lynx, that’s who we’re trying to beat!’ Free agency is harder.” ...

Keeping it going

... She senses it in talking to some free agents who just can’t bear to join a team that they’ve been trying so hard to beat for the last eight years. And she hears it in the voices of other executives when they’re spit-balling trade ideas.

It seems like we’ve been talking about it for four years now, but sooner or later this Lynx core will be no more. Brunson is nearing the end of a brilliant career, Whalen could soon transition to coaching full-time and Augustus has transitioned from franchise focal point to best supporting actress role.

So in many ways, Reeve is taking over at a precarious time in the franchise’s history. Of course, most coaches would kill for a chance to run a team that has Moore and Fowles as the pillars and three more championship-soaked veterans to build around. ...

"There’s times where I know I’m calling and they’re like, ‘No way. If it’s good for me I don’t even care. I’m not doing anything for you,’” Reeve said. “That’s been our way. This is not new. This is not just this offseason. But it’s getting harder and harder because people are just tired of it. They’re tired of us winning and they’re waiting for the fall.

“The narrative you’re old and whatever, they’re just waiting. They’re going, ‘they can’t do it forever.’ It’s really hard to keep it going and it has been hard for a few years now.”

That’s what made title No. 4 so sweet for them. It gets harder to win every season. Every team is waiting for the Lynx to finally go away. And they haven’t. Not yet. ...

But for now, she’s immersed in the present. A fifth championship would give the Lynx more than any other team in WNBA history. It would also make them repeat winners for the first time.

There will be a day when this remarkable run is over. When all the winning and all the champagne and all the fanfare stops. It keeps Reeve up at night. It hardens her resolve and presents a new challenge that has her thinking as much about tomorrow as she does about today. ...
Post #: 3367
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/18/2018 11:44:09 AM   
SoMnFan

I think its very very cool that Minnesota has at least ONE team that everyone else in their sport hates.
That's a good thing.
That's what I'd strive for if I owned a sports franchise.
Nice guys don't always finish last, but they do, a lot of the time.
If people are bitching about you, you're probably driving them crazy.
Post #: 3368
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/20/2018 8:15:28 PM   
David Levine

Not a great start. LA. Ontinues to force a ridiculous number of turnovers from us. 24 is absurd.

And Whalen and Seimone looked old on defense.
Post #: 3369
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/21/2018 5:15:13 PM   
kgdabom

Sooner or later the Lynx dynasty will end. I still wouldn't count them out this year. One game.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3370
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/24/2018 11:22:36 AM   
David Levine

Crushed Dallas.

Fowles finished with 23 points, 20 rebounds, five steals and two blocks.

Fowles became the first player in WNBA history to have 20+ points, 20+ rebounds and 5+ steals.

For the record Fowles’ career high for rebounds is 22 and the WNBA single game record for rebounds is 24.

Minnesota is now 29-2 in their lasts 31 games against Dallas.
Post #: 3371
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/24/2018 11:36:37 AM   
TJSweens

Not a particularly entertaining game last night. The Lynx rushed out a huge lead and then lost interest. Watched a 25 point lead get methodically whittled down to 8 with a couple of minutes to go.

Post #: 3372
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2018 11:05:36 AM   
David Levine

quote:

At 2-3 the Lynx now have their first sub-.500 record through five games since 2010. May and June have traditionally been full of wins in the Reeve era. Last season the Lynx didn’t lose their third game until August 6th!
Post #: 3373
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/4/2018 9:34:41 AM   
TJSweens

Wow, I did not see this coming. This team is really staggering out of the gate.

Post #: 3374
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/4/2018 10:01:12 AM   
Phil Riewer

They will figure it out...getting everyone's best game is tough.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3375
Page:   <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode