Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 11:52:16 AM   
SoMnFan

Found this to be pretty awesome

Lindsay Whalen shared this photo on social media early Friday morning, just a few hours after she finished celebrating the Lynx’s fourth world championship with teammates and fans at a parade and party.

The best, apparently, do not rest much.

Minnesota Lynx point guard Lindsay Whalen was hard at it early Friday, the morning after the Lynx celebrated their championship with a parade at the University of Minnesota and rally at Williams Arena.

Whalen tweeted a red-faced and sweaty photo of herself wearing earbuds and a green headband. She wrote “The grind never stops” from her account @Lindsay_13.

A vintage black-and-white Nike poster of Michael Jordan palming a basketball, his arms spread like wings, hangs behind her.

The time of her tweet: 7:04 a.m. so she’d already been at it for a while. She got that workout in before a breakfast date. Whalen was at the 9:30 a.m. celebration at Gov. Mark Dayton’s residence on Summit Avenue.

The last time the Lynx won a championship in 2015, Whalen showed up at the governor’s residence with a brace on her leg and like her teammates she looked spent from a night of partying at Paisley Park with Prince.

Today, the 35-year-old, 14-year veteran already looks ready for Opening Day 2018.
Post #: 3326
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 12:31:57 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Found this to be pretty awesome

Lindsay Whalen shared this photo on social media early Friday morning, just a few hours after she finished celebrating the Lynx’s fourth world championship with teammates and fans at a parade and party.

The best, apparently, do not rest much.

Minnesota Lynx point guard Lindsay Whalen was hard at it early Friday, the morning after the Lynx celebrated their championship with a parade at the University of Minnesota and rally at Williams Arena.

Whalen tweeted a red-faced and sweaty photo of herself wearing earbuds and a green headband. She wrote “The grind never stops” from her account @Lindsay_13.

A vintage black-and-white Nike poster of Michael Jordan palming a basketball, his arms spread like wings, hangs behind her.

The time of her tweet: 7:04 a.m. so she’d already been at it for a while. She got that workout in before a breakfast date. Whalen was at the 9:30 a.m. celebration at Gov. Mark Dayton’s residence on Summit Avenue.

The last time the Lynx won a championship in 2015, Whalen showed up at the governor’s residence with a brace on her leg and like her teammates she looked spent from a night of partying at Paisley Park with Prince.

Today, the 35-year-old, 14-year veteran already looks ready for Opening Day 2018.

Pretty cool.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3327
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 3:24:47 PM   
MarkWren

That's a champion, alright. Good job, Lindsay! Color me even more impressed, she appears more than ready to prove me wrong about retirement as a player. She's got the chops to be a player-coach, a la the great Bill Russell. Should be interesting to see how she plays her cards.
Post #: 3328
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 4:00:14 PM   
David Levine

I doubt anyone outside of Pierson retires.

There is too much history to play for next season. A 5th title would put the franchise all alone in 1st place.
Post #: 3329
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 4:04:25 PM   
SoMnFan

Pretty good opportunity for some of the elders to mold a couple young players into champions next year.
More PT for them, less for the senior citizens, yet stay on top.
Post #: 3330
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 4:15:46 PM   
TJSweens

Yep, I don't see anybody retiring. It would be nice to see them improve their guard and post depth in the off season.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3331
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 4:20:22 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

There is too much history to play for next season. A 5th title would put the franchise all alone in 1st place.

I think they already have to rank better than the Comets. More total trips to the finals and the league is much tougher now than it was then.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3332
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 4:29:58 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

I think they already have to rank better than the Comets. More total trips to the finals and the league is much tougher now than it was then.

I'm talking straight numbers. You have to give credit to the Comets for 4 straight titles, but you can't argue with 5 being more than 4.
Post #: 3333
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/6/2017 6:49:58 PM   
kgdabom

The Lynx fully qualify as a dynasty. 6 finals and four titles in is it 7 seasons. DYNASTY!!.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3334
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/13/2017 12:11:30 AM   
Minnyme

7 yrs, 6 Finals appearances and 4 Titles What a ride

As far as any retirements beyond Pierson, I don't see any from the core of the squad.

Summer 2018 will be the Lynx 20th season and the team gets to celebrate by getting their rings back in their remodeled house.

Both Augustus & Whalen are under contract; so are Syl & Maya; Brunson is a FA I believe (maybe she has 1 yr on her contract? ) But I expect her back.
I expect all 3 rookies back to compete for a spot; Jones, Fagbenle & the Italian Zandalasini I like all 3 so hope they all stick.

Perkins could retire & wouldn't mind that. I'd like to see us sign someone else to replace her.
Montgomery is likely back or she could be moved for value?
Howard is a RFA and a wild card coming off her rookie contract. With Perkins off the books (she was making big money coming over from SA) they can give Howard that raise. Wouldn't mind if she was re-signed, but she's got to step it up and become way more consistent. Or she could be moved some value. Wont' see a list of free agents till after the first of the year to see who might be desirable to go after or deal for.

Anyway I do think the home team has at least 1 more shot at another title and try to keep the ride going
Post #: 3335
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/13/2017 8:23:10 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Minnyme

7 yrs, 6 Finals appearances and 4 Titles What a ride

As far as any retirements beyond Pierson, I don't see any from the core of the squad.

Summer 2018 will be the Lynx 20th season and the team gets to celebrate by getting their rings back in their remodeled house.

Both Augustus & Whalen are under contract; so are Syl & Maya; Brunson is a FA I believe (maybe she has 1 yr on her contract? ) But I expect her back.
I expect all 3 rookies back to compete for a spot; Jones, Fagbenle & the Italian Zandalasini I like all 3 so hope they all stick.

Perkins could retire & wouldn't mind that. I'd like to see us sign someone else to replace her.
Montgomery is likely back or she could be moved for value?
Howard is a RFA and a wild card coming off her rookie contract. With Perkins off the books (she was making big money coming over from SA) they can give Howard that raise. Wouldn't mind if she was re-signed, but she's got to step it up and become way more consistent. Or she could be moved some value. Wont' see a list of free agents till after the first of the year to see who might be desirable to go after or deal for.

Anyway I do think the home team has at least 1 more shot at another title and try to keep the ride going

The problem with the WNBA is once you're stockpiled with assets, it's really hard to screw it up.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3336
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/13/2017 8:30:14 AM   
TJSweens

I'm not sure I agree with the assessments of Monty and Houston. I thought those two players took a decided step backwards this year.

I agree on the rookies. Jones had a couple of good moments in the playoffs. I'm intrigued by Zandalasini. Just 21 years old and rising fast. If she pans out, she could really help offset years of drafting last. Maybe help solidify the Lynx as the Spurs of WNBA. Just keep finding ways to retool around a veteran core.

Post #: 3337
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/13/2017 8:37:17 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I'm not sure I agree with the assessments of Monty and Houston. I thought those two players took a decided step backwards this year.

I agree on the rookies. Jones had a couple of good moments in the playoffs. I'm intrigued by Zandalasini. Just 21 years old and rising fast. If she pans out, she could really help offset years of drafting last. Maybe help solidify the Lynx as the Spurs of WNBA. Just keep finding ways to retool around a veteran core.

What do you think of my assessment about the WNBA?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3338
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/13/2017 8:46:24 AM   
TJSweens

It's as true as it is for the NBA. In fact it's a 2 edged sword. You can easily get boxed in by wrong assets.

Post #: 3339
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/16/2017 3:42:19 PM   
David Levine

The Lynx first star, Katie Smith is named the headcoach of the Liberty, as Bill Laimbeer leaves to join the San Antonio Stars as HC/GM in their new location of Las Vegas.
Post #: 3340
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/1/2018 6:46:39 PM   
David Levine

Montgomery is a HUGE loss.

Lynx backcourt thin with loss of guard Renee Montgomery in free agency to the Atlanta Dream
The Lynx lost Renee Montgomery, but re-signed forward Rebekkah Brunson.

http://www.startribune.com/lynx-backcourt-thin-with-loss-of-guard-renee-montgomery-in-free-agency-to-the-atlanta-dream/472171283/
Post #: 3341
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/21/2018 3:40:37 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Lynx backcourt thin with loss of guard Renee Montgomery in free agency to the Atlanta Dream

http://www.startribune.com/lynx-backcourt-thin-with-loss-of-guard-renee-montgomery-in-free-agency-to-the-atlanta-dream/472171283/

Why'd she go? Looking for more minutes?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3342
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/21/2018 6:17:55 PM   
SW MN Fan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I believe I read that she wanted to be closer to family.
Post #: 3343
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/21/2018 6:26:30 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SW MN Fan

quote:

quote:

I believe I read that she wanted to be closer to family.

Proof it's a real sport.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3344
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/21/2018 6:47:42 PM   
Phil Riewer

Apparently Cheryl Reeves is upset that The Athletic isn't covering the Lynx.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3345
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 3/6/2018 7:12:48 PM   
David Levine

Lynx Acquire Danielle Robinson in Trade for 2018 First Round Pick
By Mitchell Hansen - March 6, 2018

The Minnesota Lynx have their main group from last year’s championship club, but that hasn’t stopped them from continuing to build ahead of the 2018 WNBA season.

Newly-appointed general manager Cheryl Reeve and the Lynx announced Tuesday that they have acquired three-time All-Star Danielle Robinson from the Phoenix Mercury, along with a 2019 second round pick, for Minnesota’s 2018 first round selection (No. 12 pick).

Robinson, who made three-straight All-Star games between 2013 and 2015, while making the All-Defensive team each year between 2012 and 2015, fills a large need at the backup guard position for the Lynx this season.

Following the departure of Jia Perkins, who retired following last season, and Renee Montgomery, who signed with Atlanta this offseason, Minnesota was contemplating turning to the upcoming WNBA Draft or looking to acquire a player to fill that need at guard coming off the bench.

After assessing their options, the Lynx elected to go out and get one of the players they had their eye on for a while, bringing Robinson to Minnesota to give the team both a boost in the present and in the future.

“Her ability to push the pace, collapse opposing defenses, and create quality opportunities for her teammates, makes her one of the most unique players in our league,” Reeve said in the team’s official announcement of the trade. “Her combination of exceptional quickness and great instincts also makes her disruptive on the defensive end. Most importantly, Danielle has earned the reputation of being a tremendous teammate and exceptional member of any community she has served.”

After spending her first five WNBA seasons with San Antonio, Robinson is coming off of completing her first season with the Mercury in 2017. In Phoenix, she averaged 6.9 points, 3.4 assists, 2.9 rebounds and 1.1 steals in 23.5 minutes primarily in the starting lineup.

One thing that the 28-year-old guard provides the Lynx is a solid defensive presence that will mix together nicely with three 2017 All-Defense selections in Sylvia Fowles, Rebekkah Brunson and Maya Moore. Robinson also allows Minnesota to fill the gap as a backup guard that has the ability to initiate the offense, much like Perkins did with the second unit a season ago.

Robinson will provide the Lynx with a nice second unit threat and provides them with more depth for the 2018 season and for the future, which lacked in past teams due to patching the depth with older veteran players.

This offseason has been a busy one for Minnesota — with another move more than likely to come before the offseason concludes — and that continued on Tuesday with Robinson joining the defending WNBA champions.

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/lynx/lynx-acquire-danielle-robinson-in-trade-for-2018-first-round-pick/
Post #: 3346
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 3/14/2018 12:46:21 PM   
David Levine

March 13, 2018

MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL – The Minnesota Lynx today announced the team has signed free agent guard Tanisha Wright. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"We are very excited to welcome Tanisha back to the WNBA and specifically to the Minnesota Lynx," said Lynx Head Coach and General Manager Cheryl Reeve. "Tanisha has proven herself to be a formidable opponent throughout her career. She’s tough, experienced and as competitive as anyone I’ve coached against. She’s the kind of player who always makes the game difficult for her opponent, so it goes without saying that we’re really looking forward to having her on our side."

Wright, a 12-year veteran and WNBA champion with Seattle in 2010, most recently played for New York in 2016 where she saw action in 29 games, averaging 6.7 ppg (40.1%) and 3.6 apg in 23.0 mpg. Wright has been named to the All-Defensive First Team on five occasions (2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014) and Second Team twice (2015, 2016). Since their inception in 2005, only Tamika Catchings (12 times), Alana Beard (eight) and Sylvia Fowles (eight) have landed on the WNBA’s All-Defensive Teams more frequently.

In perhaps her best season, the 5-11 Wright averaged a career-high 12.2 ppg on 46.3% shooting in 2009 while also posting career bests in FT accuracy (90.6%, good for 3rd in the WNBA) and steals (1.52 spg). She tallied 10.1 ppg while hitting a career-high 49.2% from the floor and 89.7% from the FT line (4th in the WNBA) in 2011 and averaged 11.9 ppg while ranking 8th in the league in assists (4.1 apg) in 2013.

All-time, Wright ranks 13th in WNBA history in assists (1231) and 20th in games played (393) and stands as one of only 16 players to have collected at least 3000 points, 1000 rebounds and 1000 assists in their careers. The West Mifflin, Pa., native owns career averages of 7.7 ppg (42.6%), 2.7 rpg and 3.1 apg in 24.5 mpg. Prior to sitting out the 2017 campaign, she had missed only 15 games in 12 WNBA seasons.

Chosen by Seattle in the 1st round (12th overall) of the 2005 Draft out of Penn State, Wright brings a wealth of postseason experience, appearing in the WNBA Playoffs in 11 of her 12 seasons. She holds averages of 10.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg and 3.3 apg in 35 career postseason appearances, shooting 47.1% from the field and 77.6% from the line while logging 27.2 mpg. During the Storm’s run to the 2010 title, Wright started in all seven playoff games and helped Seattle finish a league-best 28-6 and a perfect 7-0 in the postseason.

Wright just completed her first season as an assistant coach at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, where the 49ers finished the 2017-18 season with a 14-16 record under head coach Cara Consuegra.
Post #: 3347
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/12/2018 4:02:15 PM   
kgdabom

Lindsay Whalen just signed to be the new Head Coach of the University of Minnesota Women's basketball team. Contract allows her to continue her WNBA career. This might be unprecedented, but I don't know yet. Go Lindsay go Gophers.

Minnesota Lynx star Lindsay Whalen has agreed to become the University of Minnesota's new women's basketball coach and she will continue playing in the WNBA while overseeing the Gophers.

Minnesota announced Whalen's return to coach her alma mater on Thursday. Her deal is pending approval by the school's board of regents

"I have so many special memories at the University of Minnesota. I can't tell you how excited I am to have the opportunity to make more," Whalen said in a statement. "Becoming the head coach here at the U and being a Gopher again is a dream come true. At every level, basketball has given me so much. I've learned from so many great players, coaches and mentors, and now I have a chance to share that knowledge and help shape the new generation of Gopher stars. I'm ready to get started."

Whalen will replace Marlene Stollings, who left to become head coach at Texas Tech.

Lindsay Whalen, 35, was a three-time All-American at Minnesota. She has played for the Lynx the past eight seasons. Aaron Lavinsky/Star Tribune/AP

Whalen, who has been a member of the U.S. women's team since 2002, announced in February that she was retiring from international competition.

As a player at Minnesota, she became the first three-time All-American in program history and was the school's all-time points leader when she finished her college career.

"People talk about the 'it' factor, and that is always difficult to define, but everyone who has ever spent time around Lindsay Whalen knows she has it," Minnesota athletic director Mark Coyle said in the statement. "She has excelled at everything she has ever done in her life because she's unflappable, determined and has a legendary work ethic. She's played for some of the top coaches in the world, she's competed at the highest levels the sport has to offer, and I know she will be a great head coach for our women's basketball program."

Whalen, 35, has played for the Lynx for the past eight seasons. She averaged 8 points, 4.1 assists and 2.5 rebounds in 22 games last season. She is a five-time All-Star and has a 11.9 points per game average in 448 games over 14 seasons with the Connecticut Sun and the Lynx.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3348
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/12/2018 8:41:24 PM   
kgdabom

Lynx make a trade today that is mind blowing by normal draft standards. They trade two second round picks for one third round pick this year and a second round pick next year. Normally it is supposed to be the other way around. With the last pick in this years WNBA they take Carlie Wagner from the University of Minnesota. I was hoping we would keep the South Korean Center we drafted.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3349
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/12/2018 9:06:15 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Lynx make a trade today that is mind blowing by normal draft standards. They trade two second round picks for one third round pick this year and a second round pick next year. Normally it is supposed to be the other way around. With the last pick in this years WNBA they take Carlie Wagner from the University of Minnesota. I was hoping we would keep the South Korean Center we drafted.

Bizarre.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3350
Page:   <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode