Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:34:28 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Reading this thread proves to me that Nike accomplished it's goal of the ad campaign. Supporters like myself now feel a strong attachment to the brand and detractors are grasping at straws - finding any miniscule detail that isn't exactly correct ("he didn't lose everything - he still has some money"). The main point is that everyone is talking about it and detractors are spending a lot time THINKING about Nike. Kudos to them. LOL reading this thread I'm surprised there wasn't some public hub-bub when they released 'Just Do It'. Technically it doesn't say what 'it' is - or how to do it. Therefore the campaign is bullshit. LOL.

IOWs, it was all about money.
Post #: 1076
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:35:37 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

Nike is paying Kaepernick, therefore it has not cost him everything.

I think the way Yary has captured this is correct. CK was at work, in his company's work uniform, pushing his social agenda while on then clock in a way knowing it would agitate people. This ain't Tommy Smith and the '68 Olympics.

The NFL has every right to ask folks to not do that. Where they have dropped the ball is by not picking up the issue that CK was bringing to light.

If i was in people's face at work about my political views, there would be consequences.

How is kneeling during the anthem the same as getting in people's faces?

Its kind of the opposite. He wasn't pushing anything, he wasn't telling people how to act. He was doing a quiet thing that literally needed to be pointed out by the media for people to get offended.
Post #: 1077
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:36:07 PM   
Lars

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think the way Yary has captured this is correct. CK was at work, in his company's work uniform, pushing his social agenda while on then clock in a way knowing it would agitate people. This ain't Tommy Smith and the '68 Olympics.

The NFL has every right to ask folks to not do that. Where they have dropped the ball is by not picking up the issue that CK was bringing to light.

If i was in people's face at work about my political views, there would be consequences.

False premise.

How so?

If I did the equivalent, there would be consequences.

He's not in peoples' faces and you could easily do something like wear a MAGA hat and you would suffer no consequences from your employer. You're framing the debate in a 'rich, entitled guy vs. Everyday Joes' setting.

If I wore a MAGA hat around at work, there would be consequences. People are VERY passionate about political issues and would voice their issues.

You think some kid could wear a MAGA pin on his shirt working at a BK in Boston?

False premise again. To be equivalent the kid would have to be blackballed from all restaurants. Also the kid (or you with a MAGA hat) would only be requesting to wear it for two minutes before your shift starts.

And for those 2 minutes, the kid is on national TV...

Look...if the NFL has blackballed this kid, they need to pay. THAT is not the solution and the NFL has stepped in it big time here.

I think what CK did was with the right intentions. He and the NFL should have found a productive way to deal with it after that. NFL screwed the pooch.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1078
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:36:18 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Reading this thread proves to me that Nike accomplished it's goal of the ad campaign. Supporters like myself now feel a strong attachment to the brand and detractors are grasping at straws - finding any miniscule detail that isn't exactly correct ("he didn't lose everything - he still has some money"). The main point is that everyone is talking about it and detractors are spending a lot time THINKING about Nike. Kudos to them. LOL reading this thread I'm surprised there wasn't some public hub-bub when they released 'Just Do It'. Technically it doesn't say what 'it' is - or how to do it. Therefore the campaign is bullshit. LOL.

Yes and no. They could make money with any good ad campaign. They chose one that was controversial. Sassy!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1079
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:37:21 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Funny thing is....it has no impact on how I feel about Nike at all. They are about making money. CK is the vehicle today.

I personally liked the "I am not a role model" controversy much more.

I didn't say it changed anyone's mind - I said everyone it thinking about it and many are talking about it.

Also - from now on if I'm ever looking at a rack of Nike shirts and a rack of Under Armor shirts, and the price is the same or close - I'm buying the Nike every time.

What if Under Armour gets Eric Reid as their spokeman? He gave up more.
Post #: 1080
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:38:49 PM   
Lars

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Its kind of the opposite. He wasn't pushing anything, he wasn't telling people how to act. He was doing a quiet thing that literally needed to be pointed out by the media for people to get offended.

If it was not in perople's faces, then why do so many see it as inflamatory?

What if he stood there and did a Nazi salute? Or grabbed his nuts? It's only for 2 minutes....he didn't say anything....

If it was no big deal, we wouldn't be talking about it.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1081
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:38:53 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

False premise.

How so?

He's not in peoples' faces and you could easily do something like wear a MAGA hat and you would suffer no consequences from your employer. You're framing the debate in a 'rich, entitled guy vs. Everyday Joes' setting.

If I wore a MAGA hat around at work, there would be consequences. People are VERY passionate about political issues and would voice their issues.

You think some kid could wear a MAGA pin on his shirt working at a BK in Boston?

False premise again. To be equivalent the kid would have to be blackballed from all restaurants. Also the kid (or you with a MAGA hat) would only be requesting to wear it for two minutes before your shift starts.

Look...if the NFL has blackballed this kid, they need to pay. THAT is not the solution and the NFL has stepped in it big time here.

I think what CK did was with the right intentions. He and the NFL should have found a productive way to deal with it after that. NFL screwed the pooch.

If? The dude got blackballed. That's not even up for debate.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1082
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:39:43 PM   
Lars

quote:

quote:

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1083
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:40:16 PM   
Lars

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

False premise.

How so?

Then I hope he crushes the NFL is federal court.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1084
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:40:18 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

What if he stood there and did a Nazi salute? Or grabbed his nuts? It's only for 2 minutes....he didn't say anything....

He didn't. Why do you keep trying to re-frame this debate in a way that vilifies CK?

Post #: 1085
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:40:22 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Which is exactly my point. He chose to protest and raise awareness at the expense of his own career.

My guess is he did on a grandiose whim, not really aware of the potential blowback.

Really? It was a grandiose whim? It couldn't have anything to do with his life experiences? He continued to do it for quite awhile with the powers in the NFL telling him to knock it off, but he wasn't aware of potential blow back?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1086
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:40:27 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Post #: 1087
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:43:35 PM   
Lars

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He didn't. Why do you keep trying to re-frame this debate in a way that vilifies CK?

Because people try to act like what he did should not have gotten people upset..."it was no big deal"..."not in anyone's face"....

I personally think what he did should NOT be in the workplace (where he was) and the timing was disrespectful.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1088
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:43:42 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

And again, the irony is an expensive ad campaign....how is that losing everything?

Look - I appreciate the guy's desire here and think it is very noble. I am just not surprised there were ramifications and expected that. He and the NFL should have had a pow-wow and come up with a powerful campaign together to go after this issue. IMHO, the big cowards are the NFL.

That argument might have merit if Kaepernick had a crystal ball and new that a couple of years later Nike would make him the center of an ad campaign. What he DID know, was that he pissing off the powers that be in the NFL. He assumed the risk without knowledge of a payoff down the road.

I disagree, but that's cool.

I'm pretty sure he thought the NFL would do the right thing, or he would find something like what he has in Nike now, although not knowing what it was.

Dude is not, nor will be, as poor as I've been at times in my life.

Nor will you ever know the life experiences that he has lived that led him to that point. And again, how much he had already earned to that point is irrelevant. Your theory seems to be that he knew that if he jumped a net would appear. I'm not buying it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1089
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:45:13 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I believe he is engaging in a little reductio ad absurdum.

Post #: 1090
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:45:40 PM   
Lars

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And again, the irony is an expensive ad campaign....how is that losing everything?

Look - I appreciate the guy's desire here and think it is very noble. I am just not surprised there were ramifications and expected that. He and the NFL should have had a pow-wow and come up with a powerful campaign together to go after this issue. IMHO, the big cowards are the NFL.

That argument might have merit if Kaepernick had a crystal ball and new that a couple of years later Nike would make him the center of an ad campaign. What he DID know, was that he pissing off the powers that be in the NFL. He assumed the risk without knowledge of a payoff down the road.

I'm pretty sure he thought the NFL would do the right thing, or he would find something like what he has in Nike now, although not knowing what it was.

Nor will you ever know the life experiences that he has lived that led him to that point. And again, how much he had already earned to that point is irrelevant. Your theory seems to be that he knew that if he jumped a net would appear. I'm not buying it.

Nope - I have never walked a step in his shoes.

But I think he is a fool if he didn't think there would be an impact.

And I also think he knew some net would appear. That is just me.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1091
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:47:14 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because people try to act like what he did should not have gotten people upset..."it was no big deal"..."not in anyone's face"....

I personally think what he did should NOT be in the workplace (where he was) and the timing was disrespectful.

I personally think he picked the ideal time and place.

What's the point of a peaceful protest if no one sees it?

What's the point of a peaceful protest if it doesn't make people at least a little uncomfortable?
Post #: 1092
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:49:53 PM   
Lars

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's the point of a peaceful protest if it doesn't make people at least a little uncomfortable?

No problem with that. But if he thought there would be no price for doubling down on it, he is a fool. He was at work.

He made lots of cash. Start a foundation. Take out a full page ad in every paper. Whatever...

Now Nike is making money off him just like NFL did.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1093
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:50:01 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope - I have never walked a step in his shoes.

But I think he is a fool if he didn't think there would be an impact.

And I also think he knew some net would appear. That is just me.

That's kind of the point. He did it knowing there would likely be an impact.

Its easy to just talk about this stuff on an internet forum or with your friends. Its a lot harder when you actually put yourself out there and open yourself up to consequences.

The former may make you feel better, but it won't accomplish anything. The latter is where change starts.
Post #: 1094
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:50:57 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

False premise.

How so?

I don't think you know the meaning of the word "blackballed".

Different from 32 employers not hiring someone because their business/team would suffer if they did hire him.

And yeah, it's all about money, same as with the Nike (built on the back of sweatshops oh the irony) thing.
Post #: 1095
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:51:27 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No problem with that. But if he thought there would be no price for doubling down on it, he is a fool. He was at work.

He made lots of cash. Start a foundation. Take out a full page ad in every paper. Whatever...

Now Nike is making money off him just like NFL did.

And the message is getting out there to more people. And more people are talking/fighting about it. Way more than if he started a foundation or ran an ad.

Change doesn't happen without making a lot of people uncomfortable.
Post #: 1096
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:51:44 PM   
Lars

But has he changed anything? Guys don't kneel and Nike is making more dough. <shrugs>

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1097
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:55:05 PM   
Lars

quote:

And the message is getting out there to more people. And more people are talking/fighting about it. Way more than if he started a foundation or ran an ad.

Change doesn't happen without making a lot of people uncomfortable.

What message? I think that ha been lost in all of this.

And it is not provable if he would have had more impact going about it another way.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1098
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:56:10 PM  1 votes
TJSweens

Who knows what change has been and is currently being affected. Raising awareness is where it starts.

Post #: 1099
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:56:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

And yeah, it's all about money, same as with the Nike (built on the back of sweatshops oh the irony) thing.

Thank you. You just hit my very favorite hypocritical point in this whole thing.

Everyone was aware of Nike's history of using child labor, but it was their support of someone protesting policy brutality that crossed the line???
Post #: 1100
Page:   <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode