Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:57:38 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

And the message is getting out there to more people. And more people are talking/fighting about it. Way more than if he started a foundation or ran an ad.

Change doesn't happen without making a lot of people uncomfortable.

What message? I think that ha been lost in all of this.

And it is not provable if he would have had more impact going about it another way.

Which again is the point. There were no guarantees for him when he started his protest. He did it any way.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1101
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:58:33 PM   
Lars

IDGAF about Nike either way. In most cases, their products are inferior anyhow. This is a money play for them. Period.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1102
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 2:59:14 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

And the message is getting out there to more people. And more people are talking/fighting about it. Way more than if he started a foundation or ran an ad.

And it is not provable if he would have had more impact going about it another way.

How many people are aware of specific foundations? How many people even read newspapers anymore (or look at ads in them)?

The fact that he chose something that makes people uncomfortable and/or angry is where the impact lies.
Post #: 1103
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:00:21 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

And yeah, it's all about money, same as with the Nike (built on the back of sweatshops oh the irony) thing.

Thank you. You just hit my very favorite hypocritical point in this whole thing.

Everyone was aware of Nike's history of using child labor, but it was their support of someone protesting policy brutality that crossed the line???

I'm assuming then that Kaepernick is also aware that the money he gets from Nike is in part what they reaped from sweatshops. No hypocrisy there.
Post #: 1104
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:01:27 PM   
David Levine

"Protest in a way that doesn't affect me" flies in the very faces of our forefathers and what this country was built upon.
Post #: 1105
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:02:06 PM   
Lars

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Which again is the point. There were no guarantees for him when he started his protest. He did it any way.

Yup.

And his employer didn't like it. Am I supposed to side with him protesting at work? Probably not gonna happen.

Or should I think it's cool for Nike to make money off of this? Probably not gonna happen.

Am I gonna think the NFL was right in hoe the dealt with this? No f'ing way. They turned what some saw as lemons for them into rotten lemons. Idiots. Partner with CK and make it a huge initiative. Nope. They shit the bed.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1106
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:03:08 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

In a "hey my playing career seems to be going down the drain, so I'll get people to look at me another way" way.
Post #: 1107
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:03:42 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yup.

And his employer didn't like it. Am I supposed to side with him protesting at work? Probably not gonna happen.

Or should I think it's cool for Nike to make money off of this? Probably not gonna happen.

Am I gonna think the NFL was right in hoe the dealt with this? No f'ing way. They turned what some saw as lemons for them into rotten lemons. Idiots. Partner with CK and make it a huge initiative. Nope. They shit the bed.

No, you certainly don't have to agree with any of it. That is your right.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1108
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:04:03 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

And again, the irony is an expensive ad campaign....how is that losing everything?

Look - I appreciate the guy's desire here and think it is very noble. I am just not surprised there were ramifications and expected that. He and the NFL should have had a pow-wow and come up with a powerful campaign together to go after this issue. IMHO, the big cowards are the NFL.

In the ad, they don't say he lost everything. They say he RISKED losing everything.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1109
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:05:19 PM   
Lars

quote:

"Protest in a way that doesn't affect me" flies in the very faces of our forefathers and what this country was built upon.

I never said that.

I support his right to protest.

I support his employer's right to say "not at work".

I am disappointed that the boss and employee couldn't come to a better solution.

I am also disappointed that a company is looking to make money off of it and people celebrate or demonize them based on their views of the above.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1110
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:05:54 PM   
thebigo

quote:

There seems to be some confusion as to what our forefathers were and what this country was built upon.
Post #: 1111
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:06:11 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In a "hey my playing career seems to be going down the drain, so I'll get people to look at me another way" way.

More like in a "hey I feel strongly about this so I am going to do it regardless of personal cost" way.

Post #: 1112
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:07:15 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

There seems to be some confusion as to what our forefathers were and what this country was built upon.

Then maybe you should read a book.
Post #: 1113
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:07:53 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

I agree. You do seem a bit confused about it.

Post #: 1114
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:08:43 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Then maybe you should read a book.

Maybe I should. One with lots of pictures though.
Post #: 1115
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:09:01 PM   
Trekgeekscott

My favorite part of this is all the dumbass people burning their Nike shit. Hey Morons. You already bought that stuff. Nike's already got your money for it.

here's a suggestion.

Give the Nike stuff that you now hate because they put a football player who dared to protest something on one of their ads, to homeless veterans whom you pretend to care about.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1116
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:12:18 PM   
Lars

IMHO the only thing that has changed is NFL popularity is down and Nike is making more $$. And CK is getting paid by the latter vs. the former now. <shrugs> Doesn't move the needle much for me.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1117
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:12:23 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree. You do seem a bit confused about it.

Listen to these crackers "genyoowhine libberawls" talk about our forefathers and what this country was built upon, like it was all a fairy tale. Maybe y'all should venture back a few pages to Ian's posts.
Post #: 1118
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:14:06 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

My favorite part of this is all the dumbass people burning their Nike shit. Hey Morons. You already bought that stuff. Nike's already got your money for it.

here's a suggestion.

Give the Nike stuff that you now hate because they put a football player who dared to protest something on one of their ads, to homeless veterans whom you pretend to care about.

That stuff is just another "look at me" deal.
Post #: 1119
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 3:15:38 PM   
Lars

PS...off topic....and back under the rock I crawled out from under.....but,

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!

Peace out all!

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1120
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 4:41:04 PM   
joejitsu

In other NFL news: When is bell going to report for he steelers? I get that he's looking for a long term deal next season, but he's costing himself a lot of short term money, and he's alienating his teammates. Just my opinion.
Post #: 1121
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 5:13:14 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

In other NFL news: When is bell going to report for he steelers? I get that he's looking for a long term deal next season, but he's costing himself a lot of short term money, and he's alienating his teammates. Just my opinion.

Pretty shocked his OLine trashed him the way they did. That will be awkward going forward.
Post #: 1122
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 5:39:45 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Which is exactly my point. He chose to protest and raise awareness at the expense of his own career.

My guess is he did on a grandiose whim, not really aware of the potential blowback.

I think he was pouting because he lost his starting job. It wasn't until 3 days later the protest story was concocted by his agent attempting to salvage his clients credibility.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1123
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 5:40:42 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Reading this thread proves to me that Nike accomplished it's goal of the ad campaign. Supporters like myself now feel a strong attachment to the brand and detractors are grasping at straws - finding any miniscule detail that isn't exactly correct ("he didn't lose everything - he still has some money"). The main point is that everyone is talking about it and detractors are spending a lot time THINKING about Nike. Kudos to them. LOL reading this thread I'm surprised there wasn't some public hub-bub when they released 'Just Do It'. Technically it doesn't say what 'it' is - or how to do it. Therefore the campaign is bullshit. LOL.

Funny thing is....it has no impact on how I feel about Nike at all. They are about making money. CK is the vehicle today.

I personally liked the "I am not a role model" controversy much more.

I didn't say it changed anyone's mind - I said everyone it thinking about it and many are talking about it.

Also - from now on if I'm ever looking at a rack of Nike shirts and a rack of Under Armor shirts, and the price is the same or close - I'm buying the Nike every time.

and I'll buy the Under Armor

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1124
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 5:51:18 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

Pretty shocked his OLine trashed him the way they did. That will be awkward going forward.

Not me. My coworker is a die hard and said Bell called his OLine and said he was showing up and then didn't. At that point they got pissed that he lied to them. Can't verify because I haven't researched but he wouldn't talk crap.
Post #: 1125
Page:   <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode