Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 9:28:58 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Top #Vikings grades from MIN@DAL (minimum 15 snaps):

Offense
Rudolph: 86.8
Cook: 76.0
Cousins: 72.6
Diggs: 72.3
Elflein: 67.7
Bradbury: 67.2 (zero pressures allowed)

Defense:
Griffen: 78.9 (7 pressures, 4 stops)
Hunter: 74.0 (10 pressures)
Harris: 72.0
Barr: 70.9
Odenigbo: 69.5

(Nick Olson on Twitter)

Don't love PFF, don't hate PFF, but definitely don't trust PFF. Very hard to figure out how Mattison wasn't north of 70; equally hard to see how Barr was.

Mattison looked great, but his usage was pretty limited. How high of a score can you give to 8 carries for 52 yards, 1 reception for 2 yards, and only playing 14 snaps?

On the other hand, isn't there tremendous value in getting 9 yards per touch in limited action to facilitate having Dalvin on the field as much as possible but still giving rest? That's a weakness in the metric to me. I've heard my whole life about RBs needing to "get a lather" before they're effective. Usage is a weird metric, I know, but productivity is paramount in my book.

Did Anthony Barr really produce more?

Yes....how did the Dallas TEs and RBs look all game? Barr was roaming the middle with Kendricks and played almost every down.

Dallass 50 yards rushing on 22 carries, TEs and RB receiving 7 catches for 68 yards.
Post #: 3526
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 10:03:51 AM   
ratoppenheimer

are we interested in this guy? - bucs cut vernon hargreaves and he's going on waivers - former 1st round pick in his fourth year - 5th year option picked up for 2020 at $9m....

jaleel looks like he's gained some weight to be joseph's back-up - together with stephen they did a great job stuffing the run in dallas...add watts to the mix next season and i think dt is a position we don't have to rush into next draft...also, very possible we let joseph go after this season....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 11/12/2019 10:11:22 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3527
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 10:13:51 AM   
jbusse

Top 7 teams in rushing yards per game:

Baltimore
San Francisco
Minnesota
Houston
Dallas
Seattle
Carolina

Pretty good correlation this year between running ability and winning, though some could be due to trying to run time off the clock after establishing a lead.
Post #: 3528
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 10:18:22 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Justis Mosqueda@JuMosq

NFC playoff odds per 538:

GB 94%
SF 91%
NO 90%
MIN 86%
SEA 82%
PHI 61%
-
DAL 48%
LAR 21%
CAR 18%
CHI 5%
DET 1%

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3529
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 10:30:17 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Justis Mosqueda@JuMosq

GB 94%
SF 91%
NO 90%
MIN 86%
SEA 82%
PHI 61%
-
DAL 48%
LAR 21%
CAR 18%
CHI 5%
DET 1%

It was nice seeing NO lose to ATL. Would be especially nice to see them crash and burn with Brees playing and Teddy on the bench.
Post #: 3530
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 10:36:33 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

Justis Mosqueda@JuMosq

GB 94%
SF 91%
NO 90%
MIN 86%
SEA 82%
PHI 61%
-
DAL 48%
LAR 21%
CAR 18%
CHI 5%
DET 1%

It was nice seeing NO lose to ATL. Would be especially nice to see them crash and burn with Brees playing and Teddy on the bench.

I'd prefer to see them crash and burn next year AFTER Teddy moves on to another team.
Post #: 3531
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 10:51:20 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

Regarding the Vikings attempting a pitch to Dalvin Cook late in the game:

Why would you EVER pitch the ball outside on a run play on your fifteen yard line? Hand the damn ball off and get your two yards. That reminded me of the infamous Giants/Eagles in 1978 with Joe Pisarcik muffing a hand off with thirty seconds to go and the Eagles out of time outs. Shortly after that, teams started the victory kneel down with under two minutes to go in the game. Personally, I would like the NFL to eliminate the kneel down and require teams to at least try to make positive yardage on a play or the clock automatically stops. In fact, I think the clock should stop if the defense causes the opposing offense negative yards on a play with under two minutes to go. Kneeling down is like deliberately striking out in baseball. It makes no sense. Rather than kneel down, just let the clock run out if the opposing team is out of timeouts. No team has EVER fumbled a kneel down play to my knowledge and they probably never will.

A year or two ago I started a campaign to stop the clock any time in the last five minutes when the offense loses yardage. Would completely eliminate the kneel down and make for more excitement.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3532
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 11:58:30 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

I thought Erin was going to be called for intentional grounding and a resulting safety ...nope, bogus roughing the passer call.

Rodgers' take on the call:

“I must say, it’s nice to be on this side of one of those calls. I feel like we still are owed a few more before we’re even. I didn’t feel like that was a real tough call, though.”

Hah!
Post #: 3533
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 11:58:51 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Justis Mosqueda@JuMosq

GB 94%
SF 91%
NO 90%
MIN 86%
SEA 82%
PHI 61%
-
DAL 48%
LAR 21%
CAR 18%
CHI 5%
DET 1%

I'd prefer to see them crash and burn next year AFTER Teddy moves on to another team.

Teddy is now the backup again with Brees starting. Maybe we can all root for the Saints opponents now.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3534
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 12:46:16 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

I thought Erin was going to be called for intentional grounding and a resulting safety ...nope, bogus roughing the passer call.

Rodgers' take on the call:

“I must say, it’s nice to be on this side of one of those calls. I feel like we still are owed a few more before we’re even. I didn’t feel like that was a real tough call, though.”

Hah!

Dude apparently realizes how irritating and arrogant he is. (and loves playing it up)
No one's that dumb, unintentionally.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 3535
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 1:27:13 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Justis Mosqueda@JuMosq

GB 94%
SF 91%
NO 90%
MIN 86%
SEA 82%
PHI 61%
-
DAL 48%
LAR 21%
CAR 18%
CHI 5%
DET 1%

Teddy is now the backup again with Brees starting. Maybe we can all root for the Saints opponents now.

I'm already there, just don't want to see a 2019 crash and burn lead to a Drew Brees retirement and a Teddy long term deal there.
Post #: 3536
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 1:30:20 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Why would you EVER pitch the ball outside on a run play on your fifteen yard line? Hand the damn ball off and get your two yards. That reminded me of the infamous Giants/Eagles in 1978 with Joe Pisarcik muffing a hand off with thirty seconds to go and the Eagles out of time outs. Shortly after that, teams started the victory kneel down with under two minutes to go in the game. Personally, I would like the NFL to eliminate the kneel down and require teams to at least try to make positive yardage on a play or the clock automatically stops. In fact, I think the clock should stop if the defense causes the opposing offense negative yards on a play with under two minutes to go. Kneeling down is like deliberately striking out in baseball. It makes no sense. Rather than kneel down, just let the clock run out if the opposing team is out of timeouts. No team has EVER fumbled a kneel down play to my knowledge and they probably never will.

A year or two ago I started a campaign to stop the clock any time in the last five minutes when the offense loses yardage. Would completely eliminate the kneel down and make for more excitement.

If I'd have known it was a campaign I would have contributed some $, just so you would have been able to go on and on and on about it.
Post #: 3537
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 2:51:17 PM   
beo

quote:

are we interested in this guy? - bucs cut vernon hargreaves and he's going on waivers - former 1st round pick in his fourth year - 5th year option picked up for 2020 at $9m....

jaleel looks like he's gained some weight to be joseph's back-up - together with stephen they did a great job stuffing the run in dallas...add watts to the mix next season and i think dt is a position we don't have to rush into next draft...also, very possible we let joseph go after this season....

Talented kid... but pretty damning video...
Don't know if I could sign up for someone who gave up on his teammates.

https://twitter.com/search?q=vernon+hargreaves&ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Esearch
Post #: 3538
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 3:21:08 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Justis Mosqueda@JuMosq

GB 94%
SF 91%
NO 90%
MIN 86%
SEA 82%
PHI 61%
-
DAL 48%
LAR 21%
CAR 18%
CHI 5%
DET 1%

I'm already there, just don't want to see a 2019 crash and burn lead to a Drew Brees retirement and a Teddy long term deal there.

I'm with you. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Teddy.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3539
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 5:01:39 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

This is such an easy decision to make the game more exciting. Instead, they find ways to slow the game down by calling more penalties.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 3540
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 5:24:43 PM   
thebigo

quote:

It's nothing like that. On a positive note your logic skills are right up there with your ally in this "campaign".
Post #: 3541
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 5:44:05 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

Baltimore
San Francisco
Minnesota
Houston
Dallas
Seattle
Carolina

Pretty good correlation this year between running ability and winning, though some could be due to trying to run time off the clock after establishing a lead.

Hey J, that's a lot like the chicken and the egg analogy, but in this case it's not what is happening. As the league trys to turn the NFL in to a three wing circus with balls flying all over the place and pass interference being in the spot light, teams realize it's still the same old adage. If you can pound on a team, humiliate them with the ground game, make the defensive players tackle the tougher guys, and get layed on by the heavier guys, teams will wear down. We didn't get to see in in KC because we went away from it to start the game. I don't know how that game would have turned out if we had actually came out moving forward instead of retreating, but we've seen what happens when we do exhort our will on teams, the proof is there for all of those teams.

When the running game is working in conjunction with the passing game, it's a beautiful thing to watch. I know it's pretty to see a completed pass for 25 yards down field, but the truth is, at least for me, I love to see a 12 yard run where guys are just getting after it. It's not about the RB, watch what is going on around the play and you see tons of action. The pass play is a couple guys down field, the guy catches it and a guy makes a tackle. Really, two different forms of action going on. Me, I prefer the big bodies flying all over the place, RB's cutting off the perfect block, stuff like that.

On the flip side of that is the defense stopping the run. For me that is also some of the most exciting stuff happening in a game. When you see a DT slice through and cut a RB down for a two yard loss or a LB fill the gap and stuff the RB. I think that is what football was really meant to be about, sorta like Rugby, and I really enjoy the symphony of trench play.
Post #: 3542
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 5:47:50 PM   
Dana Turner

I also like the idea of teams having to try to gain yards in the final two minutes of each half. I believe it would add a positive dimension to the game. It's at least an option that should be explored if it hasn't already been.
Post #: 3543
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 6:34:41 PM   
GopherFan34

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

I also like the idea of teams having to try to gain yards in the final two minutes of each half. I believe it would add a positive dimension to the game. It's at least an option that should be explored if it hasn't already been.

What would happen is, you would see a bunch of QB sneaks. Same result. Why would you punish your defense if they made a stop, to turn around and risk a fumble?
Post #: 3544
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 6:46:36 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: GopherFan34

quote:

What would happen is, you would see a bunch of QB sneaks. Same result. Why would you punish your defense if they made a stop, to turn around and risk a fumble?

There are probably a ton of good opinions on both sides of this issue. I just feel it could add a different dimension to the game, it will never happen, so it's no biggy.
Post #: 3545
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 7:39:09 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Baltimore
San Francisco
Minnesota
Houston
Dallas
Seattle
Carolina

Hey J, that's a lot like the chicken and the egg analogy, but in this case it's not what is happening. As the league trys to turn the NFL in to a three wing circus with balls flying all over the place and pass interference being in the spot light, teams realize it's still the same old adage. If you can pound on a team, humiliate them with the ground game, make the defensive players tackle the tougher guys, and get layed on by the heavier guys, teams will wear down. We didn't get to see in in KC because we went away from it to start the game. I don't know how that game would have turned out if we had actually came out moving forward instead of retreating, but we've seen what happens when we do exhort our will on teams, the proof is there for all of those teams.

When the running game is working in conjunction with the passing game, it's a beautiful thing to watch. I know it's pretty to see a completed pass for 25 yards down field, but the truth is, at least for me, I love to see a 12 yard run where guys are just getting after it. It's not about the RB, watch what is going on around the play and you see tons of action. The pass play is a couple guys down field, the guy catches it and a guy makes a tackle. Really, two different forms of action going on. Me, I prefer the big bodies flying all over the place, RB's cutting off the perfect block, stuff like that.

On the flip side of that is the defense stopping the run. For me that is also some of the most exciting stuff happening in a game. When you see a DT slice through and cut a RB down for a two yard loss or a LB fill the gap and stuff the RB. I think that is what football was really meant to be about, sorta like Rugby, and I really enjoy the symphony of trench play.

Dana, I see what you are saying, but IMO while the results early in the KC game were not positive, I think it's still important that we stay unpredictable, because if teams really start loading up against the run early in games, and we we still insist on running it, we could also see bad results in those situations.
Post #: 3546
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 7:41:11 PM   
GopherFan34

I would be for eliminating the 2 min warning like they do in college.
Post #: 3547
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 8:25:41 PM   
GopherFan34

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are probably a ton of good opinions on both sides of this issue. I just feel it could add a different dimension to the game, it will never happen, so it's no biggy.

I agree it won't happen. If you want to make the game more interesting in the last 2 min, do what college does, start the clock as soon as the ball is placed
Post #: 3548
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 8:30:23 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm going to defend the pitch out.

I think Cook took his eye off of it. I'm thinking he would have had a nice gain because he had plenty of time to corral the loose ball before a Cowboy showed up.

We were going for the knockout punch with Dallas stacking the middle with 7-8 guys.
Post #: 3549
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 8:41:48 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

J Johnson had one of the lowest PFF grades? Considering how we shut down the run game, I'm surprised by that. I don't know how often he was in on obvious passing downs.

Jaleel played 43 snaps 60%

Armon Watts PFF grade of 77.3 on 7 snaps.

I watched some of the All Pro (first half) before I ran out of time and energy. JJ looked very active in the run game, all over the place. No one got push up the middle, so he must have been hammered for pass rush cuz I didn't see one of the lowest PFF scores when I rewatched.

I am stoked about our young guys. Watts/Udoh/Samia. Huge display of trust Watts was active and got some PT (and got .5 a sack!).

He and JJ might be a NTs of the future (as early as next year).

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 3550
Page:   <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode