Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 8:42:46 PM   
Pager

This guy is underappreciated imo.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/11/12/20961929/minnesota-vikings-game-ball-week-10

Danielle Hunter, DE - The Minnesota defense didn’t have a hell of a lot to write home about from Sunday night’s game, but Hunter’s performance was one that stood out. According to Pro Football Focus, Hunter racked up ten pressures of Dak Prescott on Sunday night, and he did it against La’el Collins, who is getting All-Pro talk at the right tackle spot. This is the third time this season Hunter has put up 10 pressures in a game. He didn’t end up with any quarterback sacks, but that was more of a function of Prescott just doing ridiculous things than it was of anything Hunter was doing.Danielle Hunter, DE - The Minnesota defense didn’t have a hell of a lot to write home about from Sunday night’s game, but Hunter’s performance was one that stood out. According to Pro Football Focus, Hunter racked up ten pressures of Dak Prescott on Sunday night, and he did it against La’el Collins, who is getting All-Pro talk at the right tackle spot. This is the third time this season Hunter has put up 10 pressures in a game. He didn’t end up with any quarterback sacks, but that was more of a function of Prescott just doing ridiculous things than it was of anything Hunter was doing.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 3551
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 9:44:08 PM   
Pager

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/11/kevin-stefanski-had-his-pat-shurmur-moment-in-dallas/

10 straight runs. Right out of the Shurmur playbook. Zimmer must have been very excited to see it.

Post #: 3552
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 9:47:37 PM   
Pager

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/11/whats-next-for-the-vikings-secondary/

I like Zimmer giving Hughes confidence publicly - and I imagine privately. Tough to come back from injury, he's young and I still have hope for him. Also Dak/oline/Recievers is a tough foe (understatement).

Hill was targeted twice - once while covering a TE if I remember right. IMO he needs to have an increased role/rotation ASAP. Get him in a lot against Denver and him ready for Wilson, Rodgers, Stafford.

Post #: 3553
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 11:06:04 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: GopherFan34

quote:

I also like the idea of teams having to try to gain yards in the final two minutes of each half. I believe it would add a positive dimension to the game. It's at least an option that should be explored if it hasn't already been.

What would happen is, you would see a bunch of QB sneaks. Same result. Why would you punish your defense if they made a stop, to turn around and risk a fumble?

There are probably a ton of good opinions on both sides of this issue. I just feel it could add a different dimension to the game, it will never happen, so it's no biggy.

I'm going to defend the pitch out.

I think Cook took his eye off of it. I'm thinking he would have had a nice gain because he had plenty of time to corral the loose ball before a Cowboy showed up.

We were going for the knockout punch with Dallas stacking the middle with 7-8 guys.

You are probably right that he may have had a good game... it's a risk/reward thing...

But if he loses that fumble... oh boy, season could turn on a play like that.

I like the aggressive nature of Stephanski/Kubiak... I'll even live with it if it blows up... but that could have been disaster.
Post #: 3554
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/12/2019 11:57:44 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/11/kevin-stefanski-had-his-pat-shurmur-moment-in-dallas/

10 straight runs. Right out of the Shurmur playbook. Zimmer must have been very excited to see it.

I just finished catching up with watching the game. I noticed the commitment to the run. The Vikings enjoyed a 153 to 50 yards advantage on the ground. The game was a nail biter. It could have easily gone the wrong way at the end. It was second and about two and the Cowboys decided to run the ball. There were key stops by Weatherly and Odenigbo to bring up the fourth down conversion try by the Cowboys. I thought the Cowboys ran the ball there partly because they didn't want to leave too much clock for the Vikings. It felt like the Vikings were not able to stop the passing of Prescott. The Vikings were rewarded with their defensive line depth at the key moment of the game.

The Vikings dodged a bullet when the punt returner fair caught the punt. It looked like he had a chance to return that for a TD.

It was a big game for Kirk, but he made some errors. He threw the ball away in the end zone once and it looked like he had a receiver open. He had a free play due to a Cowboy offside. Prescott had just thrown a TD pass on a similar play, but Cousins threw to Ham for a two yard pass. Still, I don't believe there were any close calls where he almost threw to they guys in the other jerseys. In this big game on the road where he wanted to get some of that monkey off his back he was trying to be very careful with his throws. A lot of the throws were very short to Cook and those plays worked really well. I expect that the Vikings will do more of that down the stretch of the season. Those weary defenders probably hate that play having to come up and make a tackle on a physical running back. (The Vikings have two of them.) That play is going to work even better as the season winds down against teams like the Denver Broncos who don't have much to play for.

It was a good game for the offensive line. They only gave up one sack perhaps partly because Cousins threw a lot of short passes, but they also did a great job on the run blocking. The play action was working too because of the success of the running game. That must have helped with the pass blocking. The one sack that was given up seemed to be a mental error by Reiff.

This was the first close game this season that the Vikings won. It wasn't pretty, but of course we're all happy that it was a W. If they had not prevailed in the end there would be a lot of bitterness here. They are going to have to find a way to defend the pass better, but I get it that they made a huge commitment to stop the run against a team with one of the best running backs in the league.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3555
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 6:36:34 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

I just finished catching up with watching the game. I noticed the commitment to the run. The Vikings enjoyed a 153 to 50 yards advantage on the ground. The game was a nail biter. It could have easily gone the wrong way at the end. It was second and about two and the Cowboys decided to run the ball. There were key stops by Weatherly and Odenigbo to bring up the fourth down conversion try by the Cowboys. I thought the Cowboys ran the ball there partly because they didn't want to leave too much clock for the Vikings. It felt like the Vikings were not able to stop the passing of Prescott. The Vikings were rewarded with their defensive line depth at the key moment of the game.

The Vikings dodged a bullet when the punt returner fair caught the punt. It looked like he had a chance to return that for a TD.

It was a big game for Kirk, but he made some errors. He threw the ball away in the end zone once and it looked like he had a receiver open. He had a free play due to a Cowboy offside. Prescott had just thrown a TD pass on a similar play, but Cousins threw to Ham for a two yard pass. Still, I don't believe there were any close calls where he almost threw to they guys in the other jerseys. In this big game on the road where he wanted to get some of that monkey off his back he was trying to be very careful with his throws. A lot of the throws were very short to Cook and those plays worked really well. I expect that the Vikings will do more of that down the stretch of the season. Those weary defenders probably hate that play having to come up and make a tackle on a physical running back. (The Vikings have two of them.) That play is going to work even better as the season winds down against teams like the Denver Broncos who don't have much to play for.

It was a good game for the offensive line. They only gave up one sack perhaps partly because Cousins threw a lot of short passes, but they also did a great job on the run blocking. The play action was working too because of the success of the running game. That must have helped with the pass blocking. The one sack that was given up seemed to be a mental error by Reiff.

This was the first close game this season that the Vikings won. It wasn't pretty, but of course we're all happy that it was a W. If they had not prevailed in the end there would be a lot of bitterness here. They are going to have to find a way to defend the pass better, but I get it that they made a huge commitment to stop the run against a team with one of the best running backs in the league.

In their seven wins, they won by 16, 20, 18, 18, 12, 10, and 4.
In their three losses, they lost by 5, 10, and 3.

The Chicago game is the outlier. They can play with anyone when they bring their A game.

Bruce, you were up until midnight -- you could have watched the game live on Sunday!
Post #: 3556
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 7:01:58 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I have this unusual sleep schedule. I had already slept for 3 hours before posting last night and went back to bed. I get up at 4:10 every morning.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3557
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 10:00:39 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

I have this unusual sleep schedule. I had already slept for 3 hours before posting last night and went back to bed. I get up at 4:10 every morning.

I get up around 4:10 am every morning for my second pee of the night.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 3558
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 10:41:07 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

Many people don't get back to sleep after the first pee....count yourself lucky!

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3559
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 10:48:50 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I also like the idea of teams having to try to gain yards in the final two minutes of each half. I believe it would add a positive dimension to the game. It's at least an option that should be explored if it hasn't already been.

What would happen is, you would see a bunch of QB sneaks. Same result. Why would you punish your defense if they made a stop, to turn around and risk a fumble?

There are probably a ton of good opinions on both sides of this issue. I just feel it could add a different dimension to the game, it will never happen, so it's no biggy.

I think Cook took his eye off of it. I'm thinking he would have had a nice gain because he had plenty of time to corral the loose ball before a Cowboy showed up.

We were going for the knockout punch with Dallas stacking the middle with 7-8 guys.

The execution was bad and the play call was bad. Clearly the Vikings intention was to run down some clock, they didn't really look like they were trying to get a first down. They were fortunate they didn't lose that ball. They should have used the more high protection of the ball play and just jammed it up the Cowboys gut. Same result, little to no gain with far less chance of a turnover.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3560
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 11:15:46 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The execution was bad and the play call was bad. Clearly the Vikings intention was to run down some clock, they didn't really look like they were trying to get a first down. They were fortunate they didn't lose that ball. They should have used the more high protection of the ball play and just jammed it up the Cowboys gut. Same result, little to no gain with far less chance of a turnover.

That Cook took his eye off it is one of the reasons, it was a bad play call. It's one of those plays that has a much greater potential for disaster because of little things like that.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3561
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 11:23:46 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

Many people don't get back to sleep after the first pee....count yourself lucky!

3 grams melatonin before bed every night. It works like a charm. Doctor recommended and over the counter vitamin.

Post #: 3562
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 11:53:57 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Regarding the Vikings attempting a pitch to Dalvin Cook late in the game:

Why would you EVER pitch the ball outside on a run play on your fifteen yard line? Hand the damn ball off and get your two yards. That reminded me of the infamous Giants/Eagles in 1978 with Joe Pisarcik muffing a hand off with thirty seconds to go and the Eagles out of time outs. Shortly after that, teams started the victory kneel down with under two minutes to go in the game. Personally, I would like the NFL to eliminate the kneel down and require teams to at least try to make positive yardage on a play or the clock automatically stops. In fact, I think the clock should stop if the defense causes the opposing offense negative yards on a play with under two minutes to go. Kneeling down is like deliberately striking out in baseball. It makes no sense. Rather than kneel down, just let the clock run out if the opposing team is out of timeouts. No team has EVER fumbled a kneel down play to my knowledge and they probably never will.

It's nothing like that. On a positive note your logic skills are right up there with your ally in this "campaign".

BigO You are correct that the logic was bad so you and I agree. Why would you want to be such a jerk to make the insinuation that you did?
However, the idea is great. If you get all excited to watch victory formation and the kneel down good for you I guess. I don't really think many fans find that to be an exciting play so as a fan in a non-partisan fashion I would love taking the kneel down away from the team in the lead.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 11/13/2019 12:51:11 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3563
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 12:41:56 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That Cook took his eye off it is one of the reasons, it was a bad play call. It's one of those plays that has a much greater potential for disaster because of little things like that.

Yep. In that situation and where they were on the field, a turnover could mean losing the game. Work the percentages and just hold on tight and run into the wall there to meet you. Far less likely for catastrophe....

Post #: 3564
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 2:37:14 PM   
drviking

Blaisingame gone to Titans

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 3565
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 2:37:57 PM   
drviking

I liked the kid but Ham has been awesome

Post #: 3566
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 2:42:52 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

Blaisingame gone to Titans

Stupid Thumbtacks!
Post #: 3567
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 2:47:00 PM   
David Levine

quote:

He's been great, but we probably should've figured out a way to keep Blasingame too. He seems perfectly suited for an H-Back type of role.
Post #: 3568
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 2:55:12 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

I didn't want to say it, but that's why I get up. I let the dog out too because he and I are on the same schedule. Then I usually check out my social media, which is probably a mistake because sometimes it takes awhile to go back to sleep. The nice thing about Sunday night was waking up to a Vikings win. It kind of reminds me of the Folgers jingle: "the great part of waking up is a Vikings win in your cup" (or something like that)

Post #: 3569
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 2:57:47 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

He's been great, but we probably should've figured out a way to keep Blasingame too. He seems perfectly suited for an H-Back type of role.

True

And I think Ham is a free agent this year

Post #: 3570
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 3:20:06 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Dalvin Cook is second in receiving yards in the NFL among running backs. (First in rushing yards) He catches 80% of his targets and he averages 10.6 yards per reception. (424 yards) Do the math and that means over 8 yards per play when he is the target of a pass. He is definitely worthy of consideration for MVP of the league. He is on pace for 678 yards receiving and 1586 yards rushing for a total of 2264 yards combined. I don't believe that is a team record, but it certainly has to be close.

edit: Peterson had 2314 combined yards in his MVP season, so Cook is actually in striking distance.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 11/13/2019 3:22:25 PM >

Post #: 3571
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 3:34:51 PM   
drviking

quote:

Dalvin Cook is second in receiving yards in the NFL among running backs. (First in rushing yards) He catches 80% of his targets and he averages 10.6 yards per reception. (424 yards) Do the math and that means over 8 yards per play when he is the target of a pass. He is definitely worthy of consideration for MVP of the league. He is on pace for 678 yards receiving and 1586 yards rushing for a total of 2264 yards combined. I don't believe that is a team record, but it certainly has to be close.

edit: Peterson had 2314 combined yards in his MVP season, so Cook is actually in striking distance.

And, like Peterson, it's possible that Cook increases his output in the second half of the season

Post #: 3572
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 3:38:18 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/11/whats-next-for-the-vikings-secondary/

I like Zimmer giving Hughes confidence publicly - and I imagine privately. Tough to come back from injury, he's young and I still have hope for him. Also Dak/oline/Recievers is a tough foe (understatement).

Hill was targeted twice - once while covering a TE if I remember right. IMO he needs to have an increased role/rotation ASAP. Get him in a lot against Denver and him ready for Wilson, Rodgers, Stafford.

Hughes just shaking off a little rust. He is a pick six waiting to happen any time he's out there. And a preemptive no he is not an opponents TD waiting to happen.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3573
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 4:27:08 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course, they have to wait until the sheets dry.
Post #: 3574
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/13/2019 5:12:47 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Regarding the Vikings attempting a pitch to Dalvin Cook late in the game:

Why would you EVER pitch the ball outside on a run play on your fifteen yard line? Hand the damn ball off and get your two yards. That reminded me of the infamous Giants/Eagles in 1978 with Joe Pisarcik muffing a hand off with thirty seconds to go and the Eagles out of time outs. Shortly after that, teams started the victory kneel down with under two minutes to go in the game. Personally, I would like the NFL to eliminate the kneel down and require teams to at least try to make positive yardage on a play or the clock automatically stops. In fact, I think the clock should stop if the defense causes the opposing offense negative yards on a play with under two minutes to go. Kneeling down is like deliberately striking out in baseball. It makes no sense. Rather than kneel down, just let the clock run out if the opposing team is out of timeouts. No team has EVER fumbled a kneel down play to my knowledge and they probably never will.

It's nothing like that. On a positive note your logic skills are right up there with your ally in this "campaign".

BigO You are correct that the logic was bad so you and I agree. Why would you want to be such a jerk to make the insinuation that you did?
However, the idea is great. If you get all excited to watch victory formation and the kneel down good for you I guess. I don't really think many fans find that to be an exciting play so as a fan in a non-partisan fashion I would love taking the kneel down away from the team in the lead.

1000% agree

Post #: 3575
Page:   <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode