Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 2/28/2020 6:12:28 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Hill can't be counted on as one of our top three CBs. Not to say he can't be part of the team or that we shouldn't continue to support and develop him, but he is currently in Josh Gordon mode until he puts together a couple of years with no suspensions. I keep Waynes and Alexander unless they're outrageous.

I heard the new CBA is going to not test or suspend players for weed.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 101
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 2/28/2020 8:12:26 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

I agree the compensation is reasonable.

My issue is how many teams would he be willing to accept a trade to? Most contenders are set at QB, he's not going to want to go to a loser. And he likely doesn't want to go somewhere, learn a whole new system and teammates for just 1 year and then likely move on again.

I guess if Brady or Brees retire or move on, either one of those teams might be interested in a stop-gap QB for 1 season. But I'm not sure they have the financial ability (or desire) to absorb Kirk.

Plus if we try to trade him and he turns it down, we've likely fractured our relationship with him and it could lead to another long year...

agree with many points

its EXTREMELY unlikely to trade cousins, and/or sign teddy

but it was just my offseason dreamin post

i will post a plan WITH cousins at a later date,

the way to trade cousins is to give him a raise....

we pick up $15-$20m and the new team gives him $20-$15m for 2020...and we get some picks...didn't the eagles do a little of that with bradford?....

Now we just have to hope that a Superbowl contender loses their starting qb the week before the regular season starts
Post #: 102
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 2/28/2020 9:31:20 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I believe Mack Alexander will require more than 3 mill for a re-sign.

Without a doubt. The cap hit of his first year is likely to be around $3 million though even if the contract averages $5 million or better per year.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 103
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 2/28/2020 9:33:24 AM   
David F.

quote:

I like the DJ Reader signing. Brez could probably make it an even swap(cap wise) for Linval(cut).

Yes this should happen no matter what. Reader, Stephen and a high draft pick would instantly fix our interior D-line and is probably has no effect on our cap situation at all.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 104
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 2/28/2020 10:03:19 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

I believe Mack Alexander will require more than 3 mill for a re-sign.

Without a doubt. The cap hit of his first year is likely to be around $3 million though even if the contract averages $5 million or better per year.

quote:

first

Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 105
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 2/29/2020 11:20:38 PM   
marty

Is a trade for Trent Williams a possibility, or is it farfetched like my Sheldon Richardson idea 2 years ago ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 106
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/1/2020 6:35:13 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Is a trade for Trent Williams a possibility, or is it farfetched like my Sheldon Richardson idea 2 years ago ?

Trades involving an established player are very rare in the NFL, but if they happen, more than likely it will be on draft day. Williams wants to paid 18 mill. That's a lot of money for a team against the salary cap, so I will say that it is much more likely that he returns to the Redskins. There's a "new sheriff in town" there now, and so it's a chance for them to make up.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/29/trent-williams-wants-more-money-ron-rivera-says-theyre-in-a-good-place/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 107
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/1/2020 9:17:46 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Farfetched.

If we do a trade, go up in draft and grab a stud OT.

Doubt we do anything though.
Post #: 108
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/1/2020 9:21:30 AM   
Tom Sykes

Listening to Spielman and Zimmer, the vibe I get is that they feel pretty good about the state of the team and are focused on holding it together and improving ‘organically’ from within - rather than adding a couple of shiny new pieces to try and push the talent upward. Maybe that’s just being realistic about the cap situation.

Even with a better cap situation. It just feels to me like we view ourselves as the team that beat NO, not the team that got thoroughly thumped by SF.

I will be shocked if we go after a first tier FA like Williams (if available) or any other.
Post #: 109
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/1/2020 10:06:20 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Listening to Spielman and Zimmer, the vibe I get is that they feel pretty good about the state of the team and are focused on holding it together and improving ‘organically’ from within - rather than adding a couple of shiny new pieces to try and push the talent upward. Maybe that’s just being realistic about the cap situation.

Even with a better cap situation. It just feels to me like we view ourselves as the team that beat NO, not the team that got thoroughly thumped by SF.

I will be shocked if we go after a first tier FA like Williams (if available) or any other.

Reader replacing Joseph should be an upgrade we pursue.

CB will be interesting. I'm guessing we make an offer to Waynes and cut Rhodes and Alexander loose.
I'm thinking high round CB, Hill, Hughes and Boyd and older, cheaper FA vet CB will be our core. Waynes will leave for big $$$.

Franchise Harris.

Reiff will either be cut or restructured. I'm thinking we draft a OLineman high.
Post #: 110
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/1/2020 11:31:35 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Farfetched.

If we do a trade, go up in draft and grab a stud OT.

Doubt we do anything though.

No one is giving up much for the opportunity to pay an oft injured aging LT 18ml per

Post #: 111
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/1/2020 11:35:31 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

CB will be interesting. I'm guessing we make an offer to Waynes and cut Rhodes and Alexander loose.
I'm thinking high round CB, Hill, Hughes and Boyd and older, cheaper FA vet CB will be our core. Waynes will leave for big $$$.

Franchise Harris.

Reiff will either be cut or restructured. I'm thinking we draft a OLineman high.

I let Harris walk. We simply can't afford him.

I think with the new CBA not marijuana testing Holton Hill's availibility % increases.
I'd prefer to cut bothe Waynes and Rhodes loose and re-sign Alexander

Agree on Reader

Post #: 112
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/1/2020 2:29:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Tough decisions have to be made, no doubt. I'm glad that the NFL has a salary cap. It's competitive for most of the teams. Baseball is not. I mean, the Orioles used to be good every year. When was the last time they were in the playoffs? The Pirates and Reds- same story. They used to have very good teams. The NBA has a salary cap, but it doesn't somehow work. How many playoff games have the Wolves won in the last 15 years? The Vikings did win a playoff game this past season. Every once in a while they get to lose in an NFC championship game. The Twins? A year ago I would have put them in the category of the Orioles, but they won 101 games last year. I guess they won a lot of games vs. weak teams, but they feel like a good team again. Congratulations to them! The Wild have a salary cap. It doesn't seem to work for them. I feel like I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm only rambling. Forgive me.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 3/4/2020 12:42:51 PM >

Post #: 113
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/4/2020 1:01:23 PM   
Tom Sykes

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero 45m
Just mentioned on @nflnetwork
Source says CB Mackensie Alexander was recently cleared to resume football activities by Dr. James Andrews, who trimmed his meniscus in January. A talented nickel, Alexander missed the #Vikings playoff run, but healthy now as free agency awaits.
Post #: 114
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/4/2020 1:08:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Franchise Harris.

I let Harris walk. We simply can't afford him.

I think with the new CBA not marijuana testing Holton Hill's availibility % increases.

I'd prefer to cut bothe Waynes and Rhodes loose and re-sign Alexander

Agree on Reader

There is likely to still be marijuana testing, just a much shorter testing window and much reduced penalties. But none of that is set in stone.

And barring a pretty big miracle, none of the new CBA changes will happen until the 2021 season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-poised-to-dramatically-reduce-punishment-for-marijuana-use-and-testing-window-in-new-cba-per-report/
Post #: 115
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/4/2020 1:10:16 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Tough decisions have to be made, no doubt. I'm glad that the NFL has a salary cap. It's competitive for most of the teams. Baseball is not. I mean, the Orioles used to be good every year. When was the last time they were in the playoffs? The Pirates and Reds- same story. They used to have very good teams. The NBA has a salary cap, but it doesn't somehow work. How many playoff games have the Wolves won in the last 15 years? The Vikings did win a playoff game this past season. Every once in a while they get to lose in an NFC championship game. The Twins? A year ago I would have put them in the category of the Orioles, but they won 101 games last year. I guess they won a lot of games vs. weak teams, but they feel like a good team again. Congratulations to them! The Wild have a salary cap. It doesn't seem to work for them. I feel like I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm only rambling. Forgive me.

That has nothing to so with the Salary Cap and everything to do with the Wolves being the worst organization in the NBA over their history.
Post #: 116
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/4/2020 6:59:43 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

That has nothing to so with the Salary Cap and everything to do with the Wolves being the worst organization in the NBA over their history.

I think it's more than that. I mean, how many teams have won NBA titles in the past 50 years? Only a handful of teams.

Post #: 117
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/8/2020 1:36:25 PM   
Pager

Tyeler Davison – DT

Tyeler Davison is a big presence on the defensive line that might be available at a good price for the Vikings this offseason.

The status of Linval Joseph for 2020 is currently uncertain due to his $12.88 million cap hit for next season. Minnesota would save over $10 million if he is released this year.

While Joseph is still performing at a relatively high level, he represents an intriguing possibility for the Vikings to free up cap space.

Davison played his first four NFL seasons with the New Orleans Saints before opting to join NFC South rival Atlanta Falcons on a one-year deal.

He does not possess much pass-rushing ability from the defensive tackle position. But he is a stout run stuffer who would fit in well with Mike Zimmer’s defense in Minnesota. There are enough players who like getting after the quarterback on the Vikings’ roster and acquiring someone like Davison would give the line a nice balance.

The 26-year-old has his best years ahead of him and he has stayed pretty healthy throughout his career. Davison might not have the big reputation and the ceiling of someone like Joseph, but he will be considerably cheaper for Minnesota next season without too much of a drop-off.

Davison made $805,000 in base salary in 2019 and he proved he is worthy of a longer commitment from a franchise. Putting him with the Vikings on something like a three-year, $4 million deal would be a solid solution for all parties.

https://thevikingage.com/2020/03/06/7-underrated-free-agents-minnesota-vikings-2020/

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 118
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/8/2020 8:56:05 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Tyeler Davison – DT

Tyeler Davison is a big presence on the defensive line that might be available at a good price for the Vikings this offseason.

The status of Linval Joseph for 2020 is currently uncertain due to his $12.88 million cap hit for next season. Minnesota would save over $10 million if he is released this year.

While Joseph is still performing at a relatively high level, he represents an intriguing possibility for the Vikings to free up cap space.

Davison played his first four NFL seasons with the New Orleans Saints before opting to join NFC South rival Atlanta Falcons on a one-year deal.

He does not possess much pass-rushing ability from the defensive tackle position. But he is a stout run stuffer who would fit in well with Mike Zimmer’s defense in Minnesota. There are enough players who like getting after the quarterback on the Vikings’ roster and acquiring someone like Davison would give the line a nice balance.

The 26-year-old has his best years ahead of him and he has stayed pretty healthy throughout his career. Davison might not have the big reputation and the ceiling of someone like Joseph, but he will be considerably cheaper for Minnesota next season without too much of a drop-off.

Davison made $805,000 in base salary in 2019 and he proved he is worthy of a longer commitment from a franchise. Putting him with the Vikings on something like a three-year, $4 million deal would be a solid solution for all parties.

https://thevikingage.com/2020/03/06/7-underrated-free-agents-minnesota-vikings-2020/

We have done well with plucking defensive tackles who previously played with the Saints. I'm thinking of Tom Johnson.

Post #: 119
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/9/2020 9:16:48 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Some free agent options. I just don't see the Vikings selecting expensive free agents, unless it's an offensive lineman.

https://thevikingage.com/2020/03/09/7-free-agents-25-years-minnesota-vikings-2020/

Post #: 120
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/10/2020 5:04:42 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it's more than that. I mean, how many teams have won NBA titles in the past 50 years? Only a handful of teams.

Nope.

17 NBA teams have won the last 50 years.

20 NFL teams have won the last 50 years.

You can look up MLB yourself.
Post #: 121
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/10/2020 8:59:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope.

17 NBA teams have won the last 50 years.

20 NFL teams have won the last 50 years.

You can look up MLB yourself.

Interesting.

Post #: 122
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/11/2020 4:08:54 PM   
Phil Riewer

http://www.startribune.com/free-agents-could-a-big-payday-lure-cb-trae-waynes-away-from-vikings/568699452/

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 123
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/11/2020 4:50:30 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I would rather keep Mac Alexander than Waynes, but we may lose them both.

Post #: 124
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/11/2020 9:28:25 PM   
Pager

quote:

I would rather keep Mac Alexander than Waynes, but we may lose them both.

That's how I feel. More confident replacing an outside CB than slot in Zim's system.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode