Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 7:10:27 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

And I am reading that Vikes will announce a two year extension for Cousins by the weekend.

let's finish building the o-line and see if cousins can make it work...if we do that i can live with a two-year extension....

now, sign a top tier left guard, a second-tier defensive tackle, a second-tier cb, a second/third tier wr....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 151
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 7:44:27 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Source says #Vikings releasing TE David Morgan but he could be re-signed at some point. The reason he's being released is his contract was due to toll and if he didn't pass a physical with his knee issues they could be on the hook for 2020 salary. If he's healthy, he could return

(Chris Tomasson on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 152
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 11:16:08 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I don't think we should cut Reiff unless the all along was to move O'Neal to LT.

It would be extremely risky to cut Rieff now and pray a decent LT falls to 25. Then pray some more that he doesn't suck if thrown out there his rookie year (which this regime tends to do with rd 1 picks whether they suck or not).

I'm with you Bill. Reiff IMO didn't suck last year. He just wasn't particularly good either. We dump Reiff without a solid replacement ready it will kill us.

Maybe the cheap answer is to move Reiff to lg, move O'Neill to lt, and put Udoh at rt. Samia could be ready to play rt, and Brad plays center.

So move 4 guys to different positions and hope each of them excels... that seems like a real longshot to work out.
Post #: 153
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 3:12:25 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think we should cut Reiff unless the all along was to move O'Neal to LT.

It would be extremely risky to cut Rieff now and pray a decent LT falls to 25. Then pray some more that he doesn't suck if thrown out there his rookie year (which this regime tends to do with rd 1 picks whether they suck or not).

I'm with you Bill. Reiff IMO didn't suck last year. He just wasn't particularly good either. We dump Reiff without a solid replacement ready it will kill us.

Maybe the cheap answer is to move Reiff to lg, move O'Neill to lt, and put Udoh at rt. Samia could be ready to play rt, and Brad plays center.

So move 4 guys to different positions and hope each of them excels... that seems like a real longshot to work out.

i agree - lock in a proven stud at left guard and let the rest play out...if samia can beat klein on the right side, then so be it...klein is good value for what we pay him and we should keep him for another season anyway....

i think that o'neill would excel on the left side, i'm just not willing to risk making too many unproven changes to the o-line this season....

Post #: 154
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 6:51:14 AM   
Bruce Johnson

In the 2016 draft the Vikings selected Willie Beavers ahead of Connor McGovern. We also drafted Treadwell in the first round. Sigh. I remember being very excited about the draft that year. It's hard to believe it is already four years.

Today Connor McGovern will command high dollars in free agency and the Vikings should be interested in him. He can play Guard or Center and in 16 games played 1,013 snaps with 0 penalties. He only gave 1 sack.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/1/16/21068697/nfl-free-agent-profile-connor-mcgovern

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 3/14/2020 6:53:12 AM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 155
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 8:08:35 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reiff would be a pretty exp LG esp considering he's never played there as a pro. But I get where your coming from being we wouldn't bring in an expensive FA so we'd save some money there provided Rieff was good at LG. Could blow up in our face too.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 156
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 8:12:23 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Source says #Vikings releasing TE David Morgan but he could be re-signed at some point. The reason he's being released is his contract was due to toll and if he didn't pass a physical with his knee issues they could be on the hook for 2020 salary. If he's healthy, he could return

(Chris Tomasson on Twitter)

I guess I can see the mild logic. Think his tolled salary would have been under 1ml though.

A healthy Morgan would be an upgrade blocking wise at that 3rd TE spot. Conklin seemed servicable there blocking wise but he certainly isn't as good as Morgan. Pass catching wise Conklin was rarely even running routes.

Post #: 157
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 8:46:23 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reiff would be a pretty exp LG esp considering he's never played there as a pro. But I get where your coming from being we wouldn't bring in an expensive FA so we'd save some money there provided Rieff was good at LG. Could blow up in our face too.

I think there would be some value for Reiff at guard in that he could move over to LT in the event of an injury to whoever we put there. Also he has been in the system. You know how we always say that offensive linemen need to spend time together to jell.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 3/14/2020 3:01:54 PM >

Post #: 158
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 8:48:43 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think there would be some value for Reiff at guard in that he could move over to LT in the even of an injury to whoever we put there. Also he has been in the system. You know how we always say that offensive linemen need to spend time together to jell.

Yeah, but position stability is a BIG part of that.
Post #: 159
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 9:07:45 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

i agree - lock in a proven stud at left guard and let the rest play out...if samia can beat klein on the right side, then so be it...klein is good value for what we pay him and we should keep him for another season anyway....

i think that o'neill would excel on the left side, i'm just not willing to risk making too many unproven changes to the o-line this season....

Why? We were 27th in pass blocking. How can it get worse? I'm willing to have different starters at every single position on the line.

I agree on samia and klein. Klein was a solid pick up. It will be interesting to see how they view the progress of Udoh and if Collins can stay healthy. Collins could be an option at RT LG and potentially LT.

< Message edited by Pager -- 3/14/2020 9:10:03 AM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 160
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 9:12:25 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think there would be some value for Reiff at guard in that he could move over to LT in the even of an injury to whoever we put there. Also he has been in the system. You know how we always say that offensive linemen need to spend time together to jell.

True. Esp if we're unable to re-sign Rashod Hill as the swing T.

Post #: 161
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 11:11:07 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why? We were 27th in pass blocking. How can it get worse? I'm willing to have different starters at every single position on the line.

I agree on samia and klein. Klein was a solid pick up. It will be interesting to see how they view the progress of Udoh and if Collins can stay healthy. Collins could be an option at RT LG and potentially LT.

remmers moving to rg in 2018 didn't work very well...of course none of us know how the team/coaches perceive our existing talent - if they see o'neill as a left tackle (i think he'd be solid) or how udoh, samia, collins are developing....

i don't see offensive tackle as one of the top priorities of this offseason....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 3/14/2020 12:03:42 PM >

Post #: 162
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 11:13:20 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
With Linval Joseph let go, the #Vikings lose one of their tri-captains on defense. They still have holdover captain Anthony Barr and Mike Zimmer expects Everson Griffen to re-sign. But who will step up to be a third captain? Harrison Smith? Eric Kendricks? Danielle Hunter?

Post #: 163
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 11:19:13 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

remmers moving to rt in 2018 didn't work very well...of course none of us know how the team/coaches perceive our existing talent - if they see o'neill as a left tackle (i think he'd be solid) or how udoh, samia, collins are developing....

I think Remmers moved to RG
Post #: 164
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 12:03:17 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

remmers moving to rt in 2018 didn't work very well...of course none of us know how the team/coaches perceive our existing talent - if they see o'neill as a left tackle (i think he'd be solid) or how udoh, samia, collins are developing....

I think Remmers moved to RG

that's what i meant, thanks....

Post #: 165
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 12:08:16 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

With Linval Joseph let go, the #Vikings lose one of their tri-captains on defense. They still have holdover captain Anthony Barr and Mike Zimmer expects Everson Griffen to re-sign. But who will step up to be a third captain? Harrison Smith? Eric Kendricks? Danielle Hunter?

As much as I'd like to keep Grif he seems like a luxury we can't afford. 6-9ml or so is a lot of cabbage when your up against the cap.

Post #: 166
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 12:56:25 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

As much as I'd like to keep Grif he seems like a luxury we can't afford. 6-9ml or so is a lot of cabbage when your up against the cap.

Well atleast Griff is still effective at a critical position (unlike the average vets we have been hanging onto).

If we lose both him and Joseph we are not only rebuilding our interior run defense but having to add an outside 8+ sack player to go with Odenigbo’s 7 Sacks and help keep Hunter as effective.
Post #: 167
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 2:09:06 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Well atleast Griff is still effective at a critical position (unlike the average vets we have been hanging onto).

If we lose both him and Joseph we are not only rebuilding our interior run defense but having to add an outside 8+ sack player to go with Odenigbo’s 7 Sacks and help keep Hunter as effective.

Good points.

But Odenigbo + Weatherly + savings from not paying Griffen may be better given the current cap state of the team.
Post #: 168
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 2:12:43 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

If Reiff is still a starter, I have a problem with that. Not sure I can watch another season of him sucking.

When did you find a season of him sucking? I am unaware of such occurrence.

This is true. Rieff doesn’t suck and has never sucked. He’s vanilla steady average to just below average. He might even be priced exactly at his worth if not just slightly overpaid. The suckiness is one and two positions to his right - of which only one is effectively replaceable.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 169
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 2:28:07 PM   
unome

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I only see three players changing position and they are changing position to the positions that most people expect them to end up at. Udoh was likely drafted with the hope he would be a RT. We have been talking about O'Neil at LT since he was drafted and Reiff switching from LT to LG is the easiest switch of the bunch. Are these position switches or is it the moving people to where the org has always thought was their best position?
Post #: 170
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 2:51:28 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Good points.

But Odenigbo + Weatherly + savings from not paying Griffen may be better given the current cap state of the team.

I won't dispute that ... also the long-term DL prospects of the team, if Weatherly improves quite a bit.

But ... I'm a little panicky about giving up DE pressure in general, given the state of the secondary.

I have no idea what this defense is going to look like ... I'm assuming they play this year.
Post #: 171
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 3:07:42 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

I think so too. I'm not even sure he is our starter anymore if we keep him. I would be inclined to use him as a spot pass rusher. I'm wondering if he would play for less since he got his pay when he had his mental health issues and missed games two seasons ago. Also, I am betting he feels some loyalty to the Purple since he has played for only one team throughout his career. If I was in his shoes I would prefer to finish out my career here. I mean, I'm sure he loves the coaches and the players plus he lives here.

Post #: 172
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 4:25:01 PM   
Bill Jandro

https://thevikingage.com/2020/03/13/4-overpaid-minnesota-vikings-players-2020/

I found the order to be a bit out of whack but can't really argue with it.

Post #: 173
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/14/2020 10:25:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It kind of makes me want the Vikings to draft a quarterback early.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/14/21180188/kirk-cousins-turned-down-multiple-extension-offers-minnesota-vikings

Post #: 174
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 8:09:57 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

It kind of makes me want the Vikings to draft a quarterback early.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/14/21180188/kirk-cousins-turned-down-multiple-extension-offers-minnesota-vikings

Yeah.

I wish some of the "Aw shucks" persona would show itself when it came to his salary. But, he has shown he is about making the most money he can, team be damned.
Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode