Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 6:08:48 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

We have less money available for free agency than we thought. It is what it is.

https://twitter.com/SeanBormanNFL/status/1239294321687441409?s=19

Plus we need 7-8M for the rookies.

I do a Thuney for Reiff swap out and grab an OT with one of our 1st 4 picks.

LT: O'Neill
LG: Thuney
C: Bradberry
RG: Kline
RT: Udoh/rookie

1st four picks: CB, DT, WR, OT in whatever order is BPA.
Post #: 201
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 6:31:05 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

It kind of makes me want the Vikings to draft a quarterback early.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/14/21180188/kirk-cousins-turned-down-multiple-extension-offers-minnesota-vikings

Yeah.

I wish some of the "Aw shucks" persona would show itself when it came to his salary. But, he has shown he is about making the most money he can, team be damned.

He took less to sign with the Vikings - had a higher offer from the JETS.

For a fully guaranteed contract which arguably would end up paying him more in the end.

He has been pretty up front about this being a business and wanting to capitalize on his leverage... I wouldn't be expecting a discount.

I could be wrong... he could surprise me... but it would probably already be done if that was the case.
Post #: 202
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 6:48:31 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/14/21180188/kirk-cousins-turned-down-multiple-extension-offers-minnesota-vikings

Yeah.

I wish some of the "Aw shucks" persona would show itself when it came to his salary. But, he has shown he is about making the most money he can, team be damned.

For a fully guaranteed contract which arguably would end up paying him more in the end.

He has been pretty up front about this being a business and wanting to capitalize on his leverage... I wouldn't be expecting a discount.

I could be wrong... he could surprise me... but it would probably already be done if that was the case.

What % of the Jet's contract was guaranteed? Or is this conjecture?

He's also said winning and team fit was the most important thing in his FA decision.

It would be done if that was the case? Do you know what the Vikings offered? Is it confirmed we offered a contract??

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 203
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 6:59:57 PM   
Pager

Ryan Tannehill has agreed to terms on a new four-year contract with the Titans, per source. Here’s the numbers:

$118m total
$29.5m average per year
$62m full guarantee
$91m total guarantee

Post #: 204
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 7:14:47 PM   
David F.

Maybe the patriots don’t know which positions are important.

Per Ian rappaport:

The #Patriots are giving safety and team leader Devin McCourty a 2-year deal worth $23M, sources say. He gets $17M guaranteed – keeping him in New England for his career and allowing him to play with his brother again.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 205
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 8:07:50 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah.

He's also said winning and team fit was the most important thing in his FA decision.

It would be done if that was the case? Do you know what the Vikings offered? Is it confirmed we offered a contract??

"What % of the Jet's contract was guaranteed?"
Pretty sure it wasn't fully guaranteed... it was pretty well documented the fully guaranteed contract was sticking point for Kirk... I'm too lazy to search for it though... (and could be wrong lol...)

"He's also said winning and team fit was the most important thing in his FA decision."
That is true.

Some extension discussion:
https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/29609/vikings-enter-free-agency-kirk-cousins-deal-whats-next-for-defense

< Message edited by beo -- 3/15/2020 8:20:33 PM >
Post #: 206
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 8:09:40 PM   
beo

quote:

Ryan Tannehill has agreed to terms on a new four-year contract with the Titans, per source. Here’s the numbers:

$118m total
$29.5m average per year
$62m full guarantee
$91m total guarantee

Crap... those are big numbers... Tannehill had a nice year for them but I would have never guessed he'd get 100+ mil.
Post #: 207
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 8:26:22 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah.

Pretty sure it wasn't fully guaranteed... it was pretty well documented the fully guaranteed contract was sticking point for Kirk... I'm too lazy to search for it though... (and could be wrong lol...)

"He's also said winning and team fit was the most important thing in his FA decision."
That is true.

https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/29609/vikings-enter-free-agency-kirk-cousins-deal-whats-next-for-defense

100% of the Jet's offer was guaranteed. He took less to play for the Vikings. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kirk-cousins-reveals-exact-details-of-mammoth-90m-jets-offer-he-turned-down-in-free-agency/

Courtney hasn't posted anything of value since the time she started. Her "blog" is completely void of details. I'm not going to form an opinion based on this.

Post #: 208
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 9:33:57 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Maybe the patriots don’t know which positions are important.

Per Ian rappaport:

The #Patriots are giving safety and team leader Devin McCourty a 2-year deal worth $23M, sources say. He gets $17M guaranteed – keeping him in New England for his career and allowing him to play with his brother again.

Maybe the Patriots don't have Harrison Smith at the other Safety spot to consider.
Post #: 209
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 9:38:43 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah.

That is true.

100% of the Jet's offer was guaranteed. He took less to play for the Vikings. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kirk-cousins-reveals-exact-details-of-mammoth-90m-jets-offer-he-turned-down-in-free-agency/

Courtney hasn't posted anything of value since the time she started. Her "blog" is completely void of details. I'm not going to form an opinion based on this.

Well I'll be damned... 6 million guaranteed isn't nothing, either...

That being said... I hope he comes off his stance of needing fully guaranteed money... I don't think there is any cap relief in that scenario.

Time will tell.
Post #: 210
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 10:20:59 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah.

That is true.

Well I'll be damned... 6 million guaranteed isn't nothing, either...

That being said... I hope he comes off his stance of needing fully guaranteed money... I don't think there is any cap relief in that scenario.

Time will tell.

Not over the long term, but if he gets a big signing bonus but a small initial salary, the signing bonus gets prorated over the term of the contract, so we can get significant cap relief early in the contract, but it then catches up to us in later years, perhaps years where we have reduced salaries elsewhere.
Post #: 211
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 10:22:10 PM   
Pager

So much we don't know about the negotiations. I do believe Cousins will take less if it helps the team win. Tom Brady less - when his wife makes 3x as much? Not even close, but who - other than Tom Brady has or will? Brees to an extent - but right now - without Brees signed, NO has a 25M cap hit for his contract. The aforementioned NE - Brady contract costs NE 13M today in dead cap space. You can push/manipulate the contracts, but the bill always comes due.

We are not in contract hell because of Cousins. We are because several defensive players, and Reiff, underperformed their contract and in the case of Rhodes - severely underperformed. No way to know that Rhodes would drop off like he did. And Joseph's and Griffs contract had team flexibility. Just the cost of doing business in the NFL. We have made errors as well, like not resigning Harris last year. But overall this team has done well in the selection and development of players - outside of the offensive line. You could include QB in that, I find less fault because of the injury to Teddy.

I apologize if I came across as obnoxious. Not my intent. I think certain misperceptions exist unfairly - I had to look up the Jets contract cuz I didn't remember the exact details. Another one that bothers me - Cousins is slow in his read progression, or is slow in pulling the trigger; evidenced by having one of the longest snap to release in the NFL last yr. That number is greatly aided by the rollouts. If someone broke down the number into straight drop backs and put a little real analysis into, that might be a compelling argument. But I haven't seen that, so it bothers me when I see it regurgitated on the Vikes blogs. Funny how the Cousins argument shifts by those who don't like him - from bad teammate, to poor leadership, greedy, poor read progression. None of it have I seen by Shanahan or McVay - in fact everything they say flies directly against those narratives.

Post #: 212
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/15/2020 10:38:23 PM   
thebigo

quote:

So much we don't know about the negotiations. I do believe Cousins will take less if it helps the team win. Tom Brady less - when his wife makes 3x as much? Not even close, but who - other than Tom Brady has or will? Brees to an extent - but right now - without Brees signed, NO has a 25M cap hit for his contract. The aforementioned NE - Brady contract costs NE 13M today in dead cap space. You can push/manipulate the contracts, but the bill always comes due.

We are not in contract hell because of Cousins. We are because several defensive players, and Reiff, underperformed their contract and in the case of Rhodes - severely underperformed. No way to know that Rhodes would drop off like he did. And Joseph's and Griffs contract had team flexibility. Just the cost of doing business in the NFL. We have made errors as well, like not resigning Harris last year. But overall this team has done well in the selection and development of players - outside of the offensive line. You could include QB in that, I find less fault because of the injury to Teddy.

I apologize if I came across as obnoxious. Not my intent. I think certain misperceptions exist unfairly - I had to look up the Jets contract cuz I didn't remember the exact details. Another one that bothers me - Cousins is slow in his read progression, or is slow in pulling the trigger; evidenced by having one of the longest snap to release in the NFL last yr. That number is greatly aided by the rollouts. If someone broke down the number into straight drop backs and put a little real analysis into, that might be a compelling argument. But I haven't seen that, so it bothers me when I see it regurgitated on the Vikes blogs. Funny how the Cousins argument shifts by those who don't like him - from bad teammate, to poor leadership, greedy, poor read progression. None of it have I seen by Shanahan or McVay - in fact everything they say flies directly against those narratives.

Just one of many, many. It's just to exhausting to battle them all. But sometimes it's slam dunk obvious...
Post #: 213
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 6:56:38 AM   
Bill Jandro

I think I'd prefer we let Cousins play out his contract. He has a very good arm but needs the system to be hitting on all 8 cylinders for him to function properly in the pocket with the roll outs and such. Teams with even average defenses (like GB) were able to take that away and Cousins simply looked awful.

Bite the bullet like KC did and trade up and get a qb that has a high ceiling and isn't immobile and so one dimensional.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 214
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 8:57:20 AM   
twinsfan

Why are we talking about Kirk Cousins in the free agency thread? I recommend talking about it in the General Vikes thread.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 215
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 9:19:37 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I think I'd prefer we let Cousins play out his contract. He has a very good arm but needs the system to be hitting on all 8 cylinders for him to function properly in the pocket with the roll outs and such. Teams with even average defenses (like GB) were able to take that away and the oline/playcallling/Cousins simply looked awful.

Bite the bullet like KC did and trade up and get a qb that has a high ceiling and isn't immobile and so one dimensional.

FIFY

Trade up like Chicago did?

Moving up 20 spots is going to take a ransom.

Post #: 216
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 10:27:25 AM   
beo

quote:

It's not obnoxious to point out the facts... which is what you did in our exchange.

We're about to find out the lay of the land:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/16/kirk-cousins-agrees-to-two-year-extension-with-vikings/

< Message edited by beo -- 3/16/2020 10:29:30 AM >
Post #: 217
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 10:52:37 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
A surprise: the #Vikings have franchise tagged S Anthony Harris, either keeping him in Minnesota or allowing them to trade him. Maybe the top FA safety won’t be free.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 218
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 10:58:40 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Which one will it be? Will we trade Harris or keep him?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 219
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 11:08:38 AM   
Bruce Johnson

CJ Ham signed a 4 year deal for 12 million plus change with the Vikings.

(Pager beat me to the punch. )

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 3/16/2020 11:10:06 AM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 220
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 12:10:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Another option for the Vikings at CB.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/16/falcons-releasing-cornerback-desmond-trufant/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Post #: 221
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 1:00:44 PM   
David F.

The Texans are giving the Browns a run for their money in the 'dumpster fire of a franchise' award. Wow! I mean, just... wow!

DEANDRE HOPKINS
WR, ARIZONA CARDINALS

Cardinals acquired WR DeAndre Hopkins and a fourth-round pick from the Texans in exchange for RB David Johnson and a second-round pick.
Staggering, stupefying. Bill O'Brien's foolish loss is the Cardinals' immense gain. Hopkins had a "down" 2019 as he caught "only" 104 balls for 1,165 yards and seven touchdowns, but there was quite literally zero evidence he had lost a step. The best body control receiver in the entire NFL still does not turn 28 until June. It's a grievous misstep for Houston and gift of a lifetime for Kyler Murray, who lacked consistent weapons as a rookie. As was the case with Hopkins and Deshaun Watson, he should work beautifully with Murray when the sophomore is outside the pocket. Murray also has the cannon necessary to find Hopkins down the sideline from the pocket. Even with the change of scenery, Hopkins remains a locked-in, top-three WR1. Bill O'Brien, call your attorney.

RELATED: Houston Texans

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 222
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 1:08:39 PM   
ratoppenheimer

The Viking Age@TheVikingAge
The #Vikings have placed a second-round tender on LB Eric Wilson per @MikeGarafolo

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 223
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 1:38:36 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

The Texans are giving the Browns a run for their money in the 'dumpster fire of a franchise' award. Wow! I mean, just... wow!

DEANDRE HOPKINS
WR, ARIZONA CARDINALS

Cardinals acquired WR DeAndre Hopkins and a fourth-round pick from the Texans in exchange for RB David Johnson and a second-round pick.
Staggering, stupefying. Bill O'Brien's foolish loss is the Cardinals' immense gain. Hopkins had a "down" 2019 as he caught "only" 104 balls for 1,165 yards and seven touchdowns, but there was quite literally zero evidence he had lost a step. The best body control receiver in the entire NFL still does not turn 28 until June. It's a grievous misstep for Houston and gift of a lifetime for Kyler Murray, who lacked consistent weapons as a rookie. As was the case with Hopkins and Deshaun Watson, he should work beautifully with Murray when the sophomore is outside the pocket. Murray also has the cannon necessary to find Hopkins down the sideline from the pocket. Even with the change of scenery, Hopkins remains a locked-in, top-three WR1. Bill O'Brien, call your attorney.

Stooopid!

(Copyright Pager )
Post #: 224
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/16/2020 1:52:27 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

DEANDRE HOPKINS
WR, ARIZONA CARDINALS

Stooopid!

(Copyright Pager )

He can't stay healthy though...if you look at that angle. In addition David Johnson might be the best receiving RB plus they might draft a very good WR with that 2nd Round pick.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode