Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NBA Talk 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Talk 2020 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/3/2021 5:54:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Lakers appear to be in big trouble

I know it's not fair and likely my opinion is based on distant over romanticized memories of Jordan but I swear if Jordan had Lebrons body he would just drive to the hoop every single time down the court and will his team to victory.

Lots of sports radio chatter from insiders and experts that say Davis isn't exactly a workout warrior and that is a big reason he is hurt all the time.

Davis isn't a #1 IMO and the Lakers will need to find a couple more pieces after Lebron retires or they will be a dumpster fire instantly post Lebron.

It's easy to pile on Anthony Davis now that he is hurt, but I don't recall hearing jack about him last year when he dominated in the playoffs on the way to a title.

And yes, for the Lakers to do anything post-Lebron he will need star power or several very good players. That's how the NBA is.
Post #: 201
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/3/2021 5:59:45 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I sensed trouble a couple of months ago, and am not at all surprised he has related leg injuries. Don't see a way he remains healthy this year, which will usher a playoff exit maybe as early as tonight.
Post #: 202
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/3/2021 10:57:23 PM   
David Levine

Portland is basically the Twolves of ‘97-03.

Dame is “Guard KG”.
Post #: 203
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/4/2021 2:13:07 AM   
Matt Lang

It’s funny how quickly things change. A couple of days ago, the Lakers didn’t look great but it still seemed like they were going to steamroll Phoenix, who really had no chance with CP hurt. Next thing you know, CP rallies, Davis goes down, and the Suns win the series.
Post #: 204
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/4/2021 5:03:55 AM   
Bill Jandro

West is going to be interesting as hell to see who comes out of it.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 205
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/4/2021 9:30:48 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

I know it's not fair and likely my opinion is based on distant over romanticized memories of Jordan but I swear if Jordan had Lebrons body he would just drive to the hoop every single time down the court and will his team to victory.

Lots of sports radio chatter from insiders and experts that say Davis isn't exactly a workout warrior and that is a big reason he is hurt all the time.

Davis isn't a #1 IMO and the Lakers will need to find a couple more pieces after Lebron retires or they will be a dumpster fire instantly post Lebron.

It's easy to pile on Anthony Davis now that he is hurt, but I don't recall hearing jack about him last year when he dominated in the playoffs on the way to a title.

And yes, for the Lakers to do anything post-Lebron he will need star power or several very good players. That's how the NBA is.

Not piling on, his injury history is long and documented. If multiple insiders say he doesn't take care of his body that is also not piling on. Many said last year the 4 month hiatus because of Covid is why the Lakers won.

Heard a former player say Lebron stretches for hours every day to limit soft tissue issues. Davis is said to love the game of basketball but doesn't invest a lot of time in conditioning, that stuff matters.

Tom Brady is also a huge advocate of staying very flexible as you age.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 6/4/2021 9:33:00 AM >
Post #: 206
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/4/2021 11:21:08 AM   
Steve Lentz

Schroder can forget about the huge contract he was talking about.
Kuzma was terrible as well.
Horton-Tucker looks like a keeper to me.
Expected the Lakers to rise to the occasion, but the Davis injury and poor bench play proved their demise.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 207
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/4/2021 12:08:17 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Expected the Lakers to rise to the occasion, but the Davis injury and poor bench play proved their demise.

Clippers lose tonight and Kawhi opts out and joins Lakers?
Post #: 208
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/4/2021 1:35:55 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Clippers lose tonight and Kawhi opts out and joins Lakers?

Lakers are over the cap and have 7 players under contract (6 if Harrell opts out).

They'd have to convince the Clippers to do a Sign and Trade for KCP, Kuzma and Gasol.

And then sign like 8 players for the vet minimum.
Post #: 209
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/4/2021 1:41:27 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Lakers blew that one. They could've signed him to a 4 year deal, which would make him super cheap this year and next and then give them full Bird Rights in 2 years.

Instead, they signed Cousins and Cook to deals for more than the minimum and were forced to only offer THT a 2 year deal.

So now he'll be a restricted free agent this summer and make a whole lot more money.

Lakers still have some advantages because the "Gilbert Arenas Provision" will limit how much other teams can offer him, but they may have to decide how deep into the luxury tax they want to go to keep him.
Post #: 210
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/5/2021 7:09:55 AM   
Bill Jandro

Was hoping mavs would have ended that series last night. Every game of this series has been won by the road team.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 6/5/2021 7:12:18 AM >

Post #: 211
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/5/2021 1:09:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

When is free agency?!?!

Kuzma was tossed around as the supposed third scorer. I'll pay a team to take him. When a dude dyes his hair different colors, back and forth, all in a month then he is a flake in my book. Schroeder is likely gone. Drummond too. Harrell is on a player option. Deng is STILL getting $5M next year.

James-Davis got a chip, and I wouldn't trade that for other speculative options. I don't think Randle, Ingram, Ball, Russell would have won it all before the second contracts kicked in but not sure how all that works. This year, the first three would have made a nice trio.

Years with Lakers
Randle 2014-17
Ingram 2016-19
Ball 2017-19
Russell 2015-18
Post #: 212
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/5/2021 7:11:38 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

They weren't going to do anything without a healthy Davis but the decision to bench Harrell was a head scratcher.

Hustle and defense were needed even though everyone thought they needed more scoring.
Post #: 213
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/6/2021 6:56:03 AM   
Bill Jandro

Harden pulls his Hammy 43 seconds into the game yet Nets still beat the Bucks easily.

Seen the Bucks though only shot something like 4/25 from 3pt land. Bucks seem to really shrink when the lights are the brightest.

Post #: 214
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/7/2021 1:03:30 PM   
Bill Jandro

Doncic did all he could to push the Los Angeles Clippers to seven games, averaging 35.7 points (the highest among all postseason players), 10.3 assists, 7.9 rebounds and 1.3 steals while shooting 49.0 percent overall and 40.8 percent from three.

Those are some sick numbers

Post #: 215
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/8/2021 2:25:03 PM   
Bill Jandro

Bucks look like their done. Nets looked like they could have beat them with G league team

Post #: 216
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/8/2021 4:20:50 PM   
kgdabom

Tom Thibeaudeau NBA coach of the year. Well deserved. He should be our coach and Saunders should have never happened.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 217
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/8/2021 4:43:43 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Bucks look like their done. Nets looked like they could have beat them with G league team

Giannis' complete lack of a jumper is really starting to kill him.

And it doesn't help that Budenholzer has proven to be Thibs 2.0. A great regular season coach that is completely incapable of making adjustments in the playoffs.

With Thibs, its running his players into the ground to eke out a handful of extra wins in the regular season, but when benches shorten in the postseason, he loses his only advantage. And his guys are tired. I was not at all surprised to see his squad get embarrased.

With Bud, its the arrogance of not changing anything. During the regular season, teams don't really gameplan against their opponents. There just isn't time. But in t a 4-7 game series, you can tailor what you do to take advantage of how other teams play and how to match up with their players. So every year the teams playing against Bud's teams attack the Bucks weaknesses, while the Bucks just try to do what got them there in the regular season.
Post #: 218
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/8/2021 6:26:54 PM   
David Levine

Obviously not a surprise, but still a cool story:

The Athletic

BREAKING - Denver Nuggets star Nikola Jokic has won the 2020-21 NBA MVP award, sources tell @ShamsCharania.

From the Serbian League and the 41st pick, Jokic has become the lowest draft pick in NBA history to win MVP.
Post #: 219
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/9/2021 6:03:43 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

And it doesn't help that Budenholzer has proven to be Thibs 2.0. A great regular season coach that is completely incapable of making adjustments in the playoffs.

With Thibs, its running his players into the ground to eke out a handful of extra wins in the regular season, but when benches shorten in the postseason, he loses his only advantage. And his guys are tired. I was not at all surprised to see his squad get embarrased.

With Bud, its the arrogance of not changing anything. During the regular season, teams don't really gameplan against their opponents. There just isn't time. But in t a 4-7 game series, you can tailor what you do to take advantage of how other teams play and how to match up with their players. So every year the teams playing against Bud's teams attack the Bucks weaknesses, while the Bucks just try to do what got them there in the regular season.

That makes sense regarding Bud.

I find it hard to believe Giannis won two mvp's considering how one dimensional he is. But I guess that solidifies your reg season vs post season explainantion.

Post #: 220
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/9/2021 10:12:38 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

That makes sense regarding Bud.

I find it hard to believe Giannis won two mvp's considering how one dimensional he is. But I guess that solidifies your reg season vs post season explainantion.

Giannis and Westbrook are both good players that will never every be considered for MVP again unless they win a title. The media is tired of their stories and have moved on.
Post #: 221
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/9/2021 10:50:13 AM   
Bill Jandro

Heard Mike Fratello on Greeny's show this morning saying Bud needs to back Giannis under the basket where he has a distinct size/length advantage vs Giannis trying to prove he can shoot (because he simply can't).

Fratello isn't sure if Giannis is freelancing or Bud doesn't have the cajones to tell Giannis the truth about his game.

Post #: 222
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/9/2021 11:09:23 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Heard Mike Fratello on Greeny's show this morning saying Bud needs to back Giannis under the basket where he has a distinct size/length advantage vs Giannis trying to prove he can shoot (because he simply can't).

Fratello isn't sure if Giannis is freelancing or Bud doesn't have the cajones to tell Giannis the truth about his game.

It's painful watching one of the most dominant interior finishers in the league getting stymied 3 ft from the rim and just looking awkward and hopeless.

The guy shot 70%+ from 3 ft and in, lower-30s, for the most part, from 6 ft and beyond. Kudos to him for getting those dunks and being a physical beast, but that really feels like a guy that you gameplan for and that gameplan can make a big impact.

If he continues to have no move but to drive and dunk with no functional plan B, you can’t really run everything through him if you want to succeed at an elite level.

A jump hook in the post (or footwork and actual moves in general) would give him an actual counter to generate good offense as a plan B if the drive is cut off. That matters. It also would force teams into more significant help and rotation that’s a lot more difficult to scheme out of if they need to continue to pay attention after he’s initially walled up and really unlock a lot around him.

It's really rough to have a guy who doesn't really have a post game and isn’t effective shooting except at the rim.

It feels like playoff schemes effectively set up Giannis to be a player that either takes a great shot or a terrible one, but not many good ones, and gets isolated in a context where his actions don’t put the defense into rotation.

He needs to either get more great shots or develop more good ones that force the defense to respect him differently.
Post #: 223
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/9/2021 6:27:21 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

It's painful watching one of the most dominant interior finishers in the league getting stymied 3 ft from the rim and just looking awkward and hopeless.

The guy shot 70%+ from 3 ft and in, lower-30s, for the most part, from 6 ft and beyond. Kudos to him for getting those dunks and being a physical beast, but that really feels like a guy that you gameplan for and that gameplan can make a big impact.

If he continues to have no move but to drive and dunk with no functional plan B, you can’t really run everything through him if you want to succeed at an elite level.

A jump hook in the post (or footwork and actual moves in general) would give him an actual counter to generate good offense as a plan B if the drive is cut off. That matters. It also would force teams into more significant help and rotation that’s a lot more difficult to scheme out of if they need to continue to pay attention after he’s initially walled up and really unlock a lot around him.

It's really rough to have a guy who doesn't really have a post game and isn’t effective shooting except at the rim.

It feels like playoff schemes effectively set up Giannis to be a player that either takes a great shot or a terrible one, but not many good ones, and gets isolated in a context where his actions don’t put the defense into rotation.

He needs to either get more great shots or develop more good ones that force the defense to respect him differently.

Great stuff. He's the Adrian Peterson of the NBA. Beyond that, I like Middleton's game as a modern-day Bobby Dandridge but he has to step up.

They gave up a lot for Jrue past and future, and with all the salaries that could be a problem. Don't mind the Bucks but that's what happens when you trade Kareen Freakin' Jabbar!
Post #: 224
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/9/2021 6:56:28 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Back in the day, the best proverbially constructed team for its era was the circa 77 Trailblazers. The 76 Hoosiers were close except Bobby Wilkerson wasn't a shooting guard but more of a modern wing. The Magic-era Lakers if you excuse his height. A couple of the UNC champions later had some of that plus a key frosh 6th man. In their first game as freshmen, you could see McCants, Sean May, and Felton were going to be incredible, and Marvin Williams was the fantastic freshman. In 2009, Lawson and Ellington paired with Danny Green and Hansbrough with FR Ed Davis off the bench. Mixed bag at the other forward spot.

Enough random musings.

Today, wow. On the extreme, could a team do well with four 6' 7" 3 & D wings and a big to prevent a massacre inside?

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 6/9/2021 6:57:53 PM >
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Talk 2020 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode