Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NBA Talk 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Talk 2020 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/21/2021 7:56:56 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulgly

Would anyone take a chance on max contract Ben Simmons, knowing the trade cost to acquire may not be nearly as steep as it would have been a few months ago? Or is he just broken?

Personally, I'd be pretty tempted to do it if they Sixers would take DLo back. It's a little terrifying, but he doesn't necessarily even need to be a great shooter to be a great fit on the Wolves. If he remembers to drive/finish, and is semi-respectable at the line, his defense and playmaking could cover up a lot of current shortcomings. It's a little terrifying though because he could be broken, and playoff Ben Simmons-bad this year would be a killer on that contract.

If we could trade DLo or Beasley/Rubio I'd do it.

I think Ben might be undervalued at the moment. He's still really good - and I think he could excel under Finch.

I'm not giving up draft picks.

At this point Philly would have to send us one. Sounds like it's getting real ugly media wise in Philly. Embiid's comments didn't help. no way can he be on that team next season without an uprising.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 251
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/21/2021 8:27:25 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Would anyone take a chance on max contract Ben Simmons, knowing the trade cost to acquire may not be nearly as steep as it would have been a few months ago? Or is he just broken?

Personally, I'd be pretty tempted to do it if they Sixers would take DLo back. It's a little terrifying, but he doesn't necessarily even need to be a great shooter to be a great fit on the Wolves. If he remembers to drive/finish, and is semi-respectable at the line, his defense and playmaking could cover up a lot of current shortcomings. It's a little terrifying though because he could be broken, and playoff Ben Simmons-bad this year would be a killer on that contract.

I think Ben might be undervalued at the moment. He's still really good - and I think he could excel under Finch.

At this point Philly would have to send us one. Sounds like it's getting real ugly media wise in Philly. Embiid's comments didn't help. no way can he be on that team next season without an uprising.

Media and fans don't make trades.

I seriously doubt Simmons' value is anywhere near as low as their obnoxious fans want you to believe it is.

My guess is he's traded to Portland for McCollum.

Possibly to Chicago for LaVine.
Post #: 252
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 6:43:16 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I seriously doubt Simmons' value is anywhere near as low as their obnoxious fans want you to believe it is.

Should the Wolves be interest in him?

Post #: 253
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 9:30:18 AM   
paulgly

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would be. In my opinion, the ceiling of a Simmons-Ant-KAT core is infinitely higher than a DLo-Ant-KAT core. I don't think the latter has the defensive chops to be a serious contender - it would all be dependent on ANT, and possibly the growth of Jaden into a real 3&D threat. With Simmons, you immediately upgrade the D knowing that he can be a 3rd option. And in that scenario, if Jaden becomes idealized 3&D guy, all of a sudden that has the potential to be a perennial contender with the right peripheral additions.

Bolnaro (sp?) has apparently shown signs of having a real nice game, and we COULD have another asset by the end of the night. I won't be too depressed losing the #6 pick; the #4 would suck but it seems like more of a top-3 kind of draft anyway.
Post #: 254
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 9:59:54 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes.

And if they have a chance, they should do everything they can to get him to waive his 15% trade kicker...
Post #: 255
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 10:24:12 AM   
TJSweens

The complex formula says that Simmons contributes more to winning than DLo. I'm a bit concerned that, while Simmons has a high shooting % overall, he is a putrid 3 point shooter. Luckily he rarely takes them. He makes Rubio look like Curry from beyond the arc. He is also a terrible FT shooter (career 60%). Like David said, maybe playing in Finch's offense will help him.

He also has a big contract like DLo, that has twice as many years remaining.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 256
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 11:54:25 AM   
ronhextall

Not a Simmons fan but if the Wolves can get him I would do it.

Wolves need to catch lightning in a bottle to become relevant. I think its worth the gamble.
Post #: 257
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 1:34:12 PM   
Matt Lang

I’m on the bubble but lean no
Post #: 258
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 2:16:51 PM   
Bill Jandro

Rather target Lilliard. But doubt we have the assets (or at least ones that were willing to give up) to get him.

Post #: 259
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 2:25:15 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Rather target Lilliard. But doubt we have the assets (or at least ones that were willing to give up) to get him.

We don't.

And if we paid Portland's asking price, we wouldn't have much of a team to surround him with.
Post #: 260
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 3:34:36 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

If the cost is DLo straight up I'm packing DLo's bags and buying their plane tickets.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 261
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 4:30:02 PM   
Bill Jandro

Lottery selection tonight. Bet the farm we move up to #4.

Post #: 262
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 4:31:23 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

We don't.

And if we paid Portland's asking price, we wouldn't have much of a team to surround him with.

Just did a bit of research and I don't think he's worth it. Let the Knicks have him.

Post #: 263
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 4:51:41 PM   
David Levine

I'd probably go as high as Beasley, Rubio and a future, lottery protected pick.

D'Lo/Ant/McDaniels/Simmons/KAT.

2 excellent-elite shooters.
An elite driver/scorer
2 incredibly versatile defenders that could check the 2 best scorers on any team.

That's an excellent blend of offense, defense and playmaking with no one older than 25.

It's easy enough to picture Simmons actually providing what is needed to cover D’Lo’s weaknesses (rim pressure, cutting, defense) while D’Lo covers Simmons weaknesses (pick and roll play in halfcourt, pull-up shooting). That is if Simmons really buys into being active off the ball.
Post #: 264
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 5:07:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Can the Wolves afford that combo?

Simmons due to make 33, 35, 38, and 40 million over the next four years.

Ah, I see Rubio and Beasley come off the books.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 6/22/2021 5:09:52 PM >
Post #: 265
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 5:16:23 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Can the Wolves afford that combo?

Simmons due to make 33, 35, 38, and 40 million over the next four years.

Ah, I see Rubio and Beasley come off the books.

Yeah. Money-wise its about as close to neutral value as you can get on a trade.
Post #: 266
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/22/2021 8:35:20 PM   
David Levine

With all the Simmons talk, my preference is still to try for Myles Turner instead.
Post #: 267
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/27/2021 2:44:41 PM   
Honestly I’m Kind of diggin the implosion of the Super teams, be it injury or whatever…

I’ve had my share of injuries over the years even with teams that were built the traditional way.
  Post #: 268
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 6/27/2021 2:47:14 PM   
Much like the talk of Aaron Rodgers leaving Green Bay I think it’s way overblown, and Simmons will be in Philly next year.
  Post #: 269
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/1/2021 2:45:38 PM   
Phil Riewer

Old Larry Legend:
A former NBA player told a great story about Larry Bird dominating a trash-talking college player during a Dream Team scrimmage
Scott Davis
Thu, July 1, 2021, 9:35 AM
Larry Bird points during a Boston Celtics game in 1992.
Larry Bird was a ruthless trash-talker. Scott Maguire/AP Images
Jamal Mashburn said a college player trash-talked Larry Bird during a Dream Team scrimmage.

The next day, Bird hit shots over the player, calling out his moves before he made them.

Mashburn said Bird and the Dream Team proceeded to beat the Select Team the rest of the week.

Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

Talking trash to Larry Bird rarely ever ended well, as former NBA player Rodney Rogers found out the hard way.

On The Players Tribune's "Knuckleheads" podcast, former NBA All-Star Jamal Mashburn said Rogers had talked trash to Bird after a day of practice between the 1992 College Select Team and the 1992 Dream Team.

After a practice, as a group of players were standing around, Mashburn said Rogers told Bird, "Hey Larry, you ain't hit a jumper since '84."

According to Mashburn, Magic Johnson, who had been nearby, heard Rogers' comment. The next day during a scrimmage between the two teams, Johnson made a point to keep giving Bird the ball against Rogers.

"I had never seen this," Mashburn said on the podcast. "This was when I was like, 'This is a different breed.'

"Magic Johnson fed Larry Bird the ball probably eight times in a row down court. Larry Bird got the ball on Rodney Rogers, and every time he was about to make a move, he told him what he was going to do. 'One dribble, pull-up, going left, off glass.' Bucket. 'One dribble going right, spin, shot.' Bucket."

Mashburn said Bird scored eight times in a row. As Bird left the court to go lay down to nurse a bad back, he told Rogers, "Young fella: look like '84, huh?"

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 270
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/4/2021 9:45:25 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Expecting Bucks-Suns to be a very low rated series WRT viewership and interest. Count on involved media to drum up some BS intrigue.
Post #: 271
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/4/2021 12:02:56 PM   
Bill Jandro

They could promote Chris Paul and his slapstick flopping comedian act.

I see the NBA suspended Patrick Beverly for pushing Paul. While I didn't see this particular incident I did see Paul flopping constantly when I did watch this series. Thought officials were suppose to call a foul on an intentional flop?

Post #: 272
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/4/2021 2:12:05 PM   
quote:

I see the NBA suspended Patrick Beverly for pushing Paul. While I didn't see this particular incident I did see Paul flopping constantly when I did watch this series. Thought officials were suppose to call a foul on an intentional flop?

Yeah Bill I tend to agree with the European Division one level flopping that Chris Paul is notorious for. (Pales in comparison to his highness LeBron) however the Patrick Beverly shove was not a contrived flop.

Beverly is a nut ball, and freakin lost it. That shit is not right, and they should sit ass down for quite a while next year as well.
  Post #: 273
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/5/2021 9:06:15 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Yeah Bill I tend to agree with the European Division one level flopping that Chris Paul is notorious for. (Pales in comparison to his highness LeBron) however the Patrick Beverly shove was not a contrived flop.

Beverly is a nut ball, and freakin lost it. That shit is not right, and they should sit ass down for quite a while next year as well.

Beverly has a pretty high opinion of himself.

He was getting torched constantly and gives nothing offensively. Paul basically toyed with him and he lost it with the cheap shot.
Post #: 274
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/5/2021 8:22:45 PM   
Bill Jandro

I wonder what the bulk of the NBA players think of Paul. He can't be very well respected when he's constantly flopping. It's not a good look from a fan perspective IMO.

I also wonder how many times Paul has injured himself with these theatrics.

Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Talk 2020 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode