Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/9/2021 10:37:48 AM   
Jeff Jesser

And, watch that goal by Fiala again. Those hands

That little shift of the puck right before he let it fly was beautiful. Normally that move is meant for a fly by around the wide side of the dman. It's meant to get him (dman) leaning inside as Fiala tries to go around the outside. It also gets the keeper to start leaning to his left anticipating the same. What does Fiala do? He sets them both up for it and shoots right over the top of the Dman's right shoulder and in to the top left that the keeper has just started to leave. Unstoppable if he hits the corner as he did.

We've never had that type of talent.
Post #: 326
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/9/2021 8:40:02 PM   
TJSweens

Nice break down Jeff. In Fiala's own words,..."I tried to make a move to the inside to make sure I have more net,"

That's the difference between a guy who flies up the ice and buries it in the goalies mid-section and a guy who scores on the rush.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 327
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/10/2021 12:32:20 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. Said with less words. The obvious thought for the D is that there is no way he's heading back in to traffic so he's gonna try and go around me. It's a simple concept but it's damn tough to pull off at that speed.
Post #: 328
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/10/2021 12:46:53 PM   
TJSweens

One of Louie Nanne's more lucid comments was,..."Shooters know how to shoot the puck on goal. Scorers know how to shoot for the back of the net. "

Fiala knows how to create a target before he shoots the puck. I still really want to see him paired with the Kraken.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 329
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/10/2021 1:02:39 PM   
TJSweens

Rookie Kaapo Kahkonen is ‘boring’ in net, and that’s OK with Wild

By DANE MIZUTANI | dmizutani@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: March 9, 2021 at 1:14 p.m. | UPDATED: March 9, 2021 at 1:14 p.m.

As dominant as Wild goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen been between the pipes this season, nobody would know it by talking to him. At least he is self aware.

“I probably sound really boring on these interviews,” the 24-year-old rookie from Finland said with a smile. “It’s just the daily work, I believe, that matters and doing those little things right.”

It’s not so much that Kahkonen is cliche as it is that he’s extremely quiet. He doesn’t offer up much insight after games. It doesn’t where he’s coming off a shutout like he did in Monday’s 2-0 win over the Vegas Golden Knights, or if he just got lit up like he did in a blowout loss to the Colorado Avalanche earlier this season.

That quietness from Kahkonen is akin to that of fellow countryman and former Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom.

Most everyone remembers Backstrom from his days manning the crease for the Wild. He was very quiet off the ice, and in a lot of ways, very quiet on the ice, too

No situation ever looked too stressful for Backstrom. He was cool, calm and collected, and that seemed to rubbed off on the rest of his team.

That’s exactly how Kahkonen plays. Which maybe shouldn’t come as a surprise considering both guys hail from Finland.

“I’m not trying to focus on being calm or quiet,” Kahkonen said. “I’m trying to focus on being patient. I think that’s the key word there. I would probably put it that way.”

That style of play is something Wild coach Dean Evason said is hard to coach. Usually a player has it or he doesn’t.

“You can enhance the training of it, for sure, in today’s game,” Evason said. “My guess is he’s been like that his entire life.”

In addition to his calmness, Evason has continuously lauded Kahkonen for his compete level.

“He’s the type of person who doesn’t care about anything except getting in the net and competing,” Evason said. “There’s no stress. There’s not any type of maintenance. He just goes about his business.”

Kahkonen’s meteoric rise this season has put the Wild in an awkward spot.

Though presumed starter Cam Talbot, a eight-year NHL veteran in his first season with the Wild, has been playing pretty well as of late, it’s hard to justify taking Kahkonen out of the lineup right now. He has won seven straight starts — a franchise record for a rookie — and doesn’t look to be slowing down anytime soon.

It might be worth riding Kahkonen until the wheels fall off. Especially in an condensed 56-game season. After all, he is 10-4-0 in 14 games for a Wild team that is 14-8-1. He is a big reason the team is in the upper portion of the West division standings as it nears the halfway point of the season.

“Even last year when he came in (from the Iowa Wild), he played great for us,” captain Jared Spurgeon said. “Maybe a bit more confident this year knowing what’s going on. It helps that (he has) confidence playing the puck. He gets out there and stops it, and he can move it pretty quick as well, and hard. If we’re in trouble, he knows what to do with it.”

While some might mistake Kahkonen’s unflappable nature for boringness, he’s OK with that, and the Wild certainly are too if it’s going to yield these types of results.

“You want to look calm,” Kahkonen said. “Then my teammates see I’m doing (my) job and they can focus on their job. I think that’s what it’s all about. It’s good to hear it looks like that. That’s what I’m trying to do here.”

Post #: 330
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/10/2021 1:03:43 PM   
TJSweens

The really awesome thing is that Kaapo and Kirill might be each others stiffest competition for ROY.

Post #: 331
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/10/2021 4:31:22 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The really awesome thing is that Kaapo and Kirill might be each others stiffest competition for ROY.

Sad thing is he was probably our best goalie last year also.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 332
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/10/2021 7:14:34 PM   
stfrank

LOL, we have 2 shots directly into Fleury's glove and just because he flails his arm after the save the announcers act like it was the greatest save ever.
Post #: 333
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/10/2021 8:18:27 PM   
stfrank

But 3 quick goals in the 3rd and Fleury is chased from the game.
Wild up 4-1 with 11 minutes left.
Post #: 334
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/10/2021 8:39:27 PM   
stfrank

We sure know how to keep it interesting by letting the other team back in the game with 2 late goals in the last 5 minutes.
Post #: 335
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/10/2021 10:16:05 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

LOL, we have 2 shots directly into Fleury's glove and just because he flails his arm after the save the announcers act like it was the greatest save ever.

I try to stay away from complaining about network announcers, but tonight was like a couple Vegas fan boys calling the game.

Post #: 336
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 6:48:03 AM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

I try to stay away from complaining about network announcers, but tonight was like a couple Vegas fan boys calling the game.

Oh yeah, and by the way, the other team on the ice with Vegas was the Wild.
Post #: 337
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 7:36:31 AM   
bstinger

Missed the game due to the storm, damn satellite. 5-6" of heavy wet stuff with a lot of rain before and some sleet on both ends. Lucky power stayed on, some neighbors weren't so lucky.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 338
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 8:09:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

We sure know how to keep it interesting by letting the other team back in the game with 2 late goals in the last 5 minutes.

Defense played really well until the 2nd half of the third period....LV was really getting frustrated. The 4 on 4 call changed the Momentum of the game and they kept the camera on Evanson after the call for his use of French words----if you watched the game on NBC Sports Network.

Post #: 339
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 8:26:49 AM   
Lynn G.

Yeah - it was so weird that they put both players in the box. They weren't fighting. They were ... hugging? It was a bit weird because they were in each other's grasp, mostly smiling.

But definitely not fighting. There was no reason to go to a 4 on 4.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 340
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 8:41:15 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

Missed the game due to the storm, damn satellite. 5-6" of heavy wet stuff with a lot of rain before and some sleet on both ends. Lucky power stayed on, some neighbors weren't so lucky.

Saw all that on radar images. Heck of a front. Big storms in a big area.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 341
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 9:51:35 AM   
Lynn G.

The end of that game last night should have been an easy-on-the-heart game. The kind where you watch for the fun, but the heart-rate stays in the "normal" range.

Instead we spent the last four minutes with our hearts racing as we watched Vegas nibble away at our three goal lead. And all of us have seen enough Minnesota sports action to know that there was a higher-than-average chance that thing was not going to end well. A couple of "almost" empty netters didn't help. Yoips!

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 342
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 9:58:52 AM   
TJSweens

They got up 4-1 and let off the gas. You can't do that against a team with as much firepower as LV.

Post #: 343
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 10:33:21 AM   
Phil Riewer

Tuch had an open net to tie the game with 30-40 seconds left....now that was scary.

Post #: 344
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 10:43:58 AM   
TJSweens

We didn't need him.

Post #: 345
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 12:03:44 PM   
Lynn G.

I still blame the league for giving Vegas a golden ticket as an expansion team. We shouldn't have had to give up Tuch and Haula to an expansion team. What a rook of a deal for all of the existing teams, and what a giant gift to a brand new team.

Post #: 346
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 12:30:56 PM   
Jeff Jesser

We didn't 'have' to give them up (not saying you're saying that). Fletcher was stupid to expose them. KK continues to impress. Kid is unflappable out there.
Post #: 347
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 12:54:45 PM   
TJSweens

I completely agree on the stupidity of the expansion draft format, but I still blame Fletch. He didn't want to expose on of Brodin, Dumba or Scandella to the draft, so instead he traded the top prospect in the organization in Tuch along with Haula, who was a guy who could score 15 goals while checking the fastest forwards in hockey.

To underscore how incredibly stupid that move was, Anthony Lapanta whole heartedly endorsed it.

Post #: 348
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 1:09:09 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I completely agree on the stupidity of the expansion draft format, but I still blame Fletch. He didn't want to expose on of Brodin, Dumba or Scandella to the draft, so instead he traded the top prospect in the organization in Tuch along with Haula, who was a guy who could score 15 goals while checking the fastest forwards in hockey.

To underscore how incredibly stupid that move was, Anthony Lapanta whole heartedly endorsed it.

There were cap issues but if I remember right Haula was basically going to be a cap cut/trade.....and Scandella was protect to be traded for something else. Worst thing is Tuch was really cheap and they didn't see his value.

Post #: 349
RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day - 3/11/2021 1:17:08 PM   
TJSweens

The cap issue would have been resolved by leaving either Scandella or Brodin unprotected. Scandella was packaged with Pomminville, which brought back Foligno and Tyler Ennis, resulting in very little cap savings because Foligno was an RFA and the Wild had to resign him and then they bought out Ennis after a year, stretching out his impact on the cap. If they would have let Scandella be drafted and rode out the year with Pom's expiring contract, they would have come out way ahead on the salary cap.

I recall Russo writing something to the effect that Fletch was still high on Tuch, but Boudreau didn't like him at all and persuaded Fletch to trade him.

Post #: 350
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Minnesota Wild 2021 Season / Game Day Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode