Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/13/2021 10:45:02 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Best pass sets: Alijah Vera-Tucker

“His 91.7 pass-blocking grade on 297 true pass sets over the past two years is far and away tops in the draft class.” 👀👀

#SKOL (PFF Min Vikes on Twitter)

If I was a pickin man, that would be my pick.

With that good of a pass blocking grade he might be ok at LT despite the short arms.

Also i think i read he is a good zone blocker.

Yes, because pass setting at G is so similar to LT. Plus he can add to the total number of OL not playing their natural position. Win win!

He has looked natural at both LG and LT.

I've stopped 'looking at tape' (what some in here call looking at highlight videos posted on youtube by family members [or the player himself]). That is so flimsy.

I prefer to read incontrovertible strength and weakness blurbs by anonymous draftniks.

Alijah Vera-Tucker

Pros
Thick and burly
Rips a stiff punch
Can deep freeze rushers
Can eat a bull rush
Longer than people expect for his height (!)

Cons
Needs better pop and drop
Average at clearing debris
Not a forklift

Even though I think 14 is too high, I do like that AVT is a short squatty hairy smelly germ-ridden brute ...

different from the usual Spielman IOL draftee (long-limbed and gangly man-boys requiring years of weight room development to mature into the opposite of what a IOL should look like).

Great post!

Thanks
Post #: 851
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 12:09:22 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I think the best way to improve this franchise falls on Spielman’s figurative sword/ guillotine ....

Hot seat:

Mike Zimmer

One and done or else:

Rick Dennison

Dude... your line skills suck.
Why are you an NFL coach?
For offensive line?

Or maybe spielman will be hoisted by his own petard.
Post #: 852
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 7:43:55 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Jaylen Waddle is the third receiver off the board in a lot of mock drafts (fourth counting TE Kyle Pitts), but I've spoken to multiple NFL personnel evaluators who believe he might be the best overall playmaker in the draft. Not sure where he lands but he could surprise.

Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 853
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 8:04:16 AM   
Bruce Johnson

This writer did research before coming up with his own trade value chart. To me it suggest not trading down, especially from #14. Is that how it looks to you?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index9a9b.html?p=527

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 854
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 9:17:27 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

“His 91.7 pass-blocking grade on 297 true pass sets over the past two years is far and away tops in the draft class.” 👀👀

With that good of a pass blocking grade he might be ok at LT despite the short arms.

Yes, because pass setting at G is so similar to LT. Plus he can add to the total number of OL not playing their natural position. Win win!

I've stopped 'looking at tape' (what some in here call looking at highlight videos posted on youtube by family members [or the player himself]). That is so flimsy.

I prefer to read incontrovertible strength and weakness blurbs by anonymous draftniks.

Alijah Vera-Tucker

Pros
Thick and burly
Rips a stiff punch
Can deep freeze rushers
Can eat a bull rush

Cons
Not a forklift

Even though I think 14 is too high, I do like that AVT is a short squatty hairy smelly germ-ridden brute ...

different from the usual Spielman IOL draftee (long-limbed and gangly man-boys requiring years of weight room development to mature into the opposite of what a IOL should look like).

Great post!

Thanks

Working the open road and hitting targets
Checks a lot of "off the bus" boxes
Classic stone wall
Boulder
Fires off punches
Mike Tyson like knockout punches
Isn't just a bully
Sawed-off center
Post #: 855
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 10:01:32 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alijah Vera-Tucker

Pros
Thick and burly
Rips a stiff punch
Can deep freeze rushers
Can eat a bull rush

Cons
Not a forklift

Great post!

Thanks

Working the open road and hitting targets
Checks a lot of "off the bus" boxes
Classic stone wall
Boulder
Fires off punches
Mike Tyson like knockout punches
Isn't just a bully
Sawed-off center

Sawed-off center! It's even better when you have no idea what they are talking about ... but it still sounds old school.
Post #: 856
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 10:52:31 AM   
Tom Sykes

So ... fyi ... I cracked Spielman's draft code. We will not be drafting Vera-Tucker in the first. We will be trading up into the magical second round.

I assume Bradbury, Samia and Udoh (part of the old playbook) forced Spielman's hand,

forcing him to go back to the previous year's O'Neil template ... and take Cleveland (in the magical second round)

After years of

Elflein
Isidora
Beavers
Thompson
Shepherd
Yankey
Baca
Bond

Cleveland was just adequate BUT clearly better than any of the above (for an out of position rookie)

making him second to O'Neil in Spielman's pantheon of good OL picks. (those are the only two)

so expect more of the same this draft.

(I tried to articulate this a couple of weeks ago and got eviscerated by David and Bill ... but the draft is closing fast and with it, swift justice for the heathen unbelievers)

In fact, I'll just call it now ... Spencer Brown, Northern Iowa in the last couple of picks in the 2nd rd. ... our new LG

6-8, athletic, hungry for pancakes, gets tossed by power, no experience at G.
Post #: 857
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 11:34:09 AM   
jbusse

quote:

So ... fyi ... I cracked Spielman's draft code. We will not be drafting Vera-Tucker in the first. We will be trading up into the magical second round.

I assume Bradbury, Samia and Udoh (part of the old playbook) forced Spielman's hand,

forcing him to go back to the previous year's O'Neil template ... and take Cleveland (in the magical second round)

After years of

Elflein
Isidora
Beavers
Thompson
Shepherd
Yankey
Baca
Bond

Cleveland was just adequate BUT clearly better than any of the above (for an out of position rookie)

making him second to O'Neil in Spielman's pantheon of good OL picks. (those are the only two)

(I tried to articulate this a couple of weeks ago and got eviscerated by David and Bill ... but the draft is closing fast and with it, swift justice for the heathen unbelievers)

In fact, I'll just call it now ... Spencer Brown, Northern Iowa in the last couple of picks in the 2nd rd. ... our new LG

I think I've cracked Spielman's code as well. If you recall, there was an SI article a few years back where they said, referring to Spielman, "He puts his shoes and socks on before his pants." To my mind, Rick values footwork, a known strength of Vera-Tucker. As such, it will be difficult for Spielman to pass on Vera-Tucker in the first.
Post #: 858
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 11:54:32 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I think the best way to improve this franchise falls on Spielman’s figurative sword/ guillotine ....

Hot seat:

Mike Zimmer

One and done or else:

Rick Dennison

Dude... your line skills suck.
Why are you an NFL coach?
For offensive line?

Or maybe spielman will be hoisted by his own petard.

I think a size 12 treble hook would be enough..although I don’t think you could find tuna line and a leader that would fit the hoist reel and rig.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 859
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 1:09:08 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

After years of

Elflein
Isidora
Beavers
Thompson
Shepherd
Yankey
Baca
Bond

I think I've cracked Spielman's code as well. If you recall, there was an SI article a few years back where they said, referring to Spielman, "He puts his shoes and socks on before his pants." To my mind, Rick values footwork, a known strength of Vera-Tucker. As such, it will be difficult for Spielman to pass on Vera-Tucker in the first.

Yes the footwork is critically important for OL, especially for our scheme.

But I'm banking on the fact that, with no combine to build mountains of comparative three cone and shuttle data (and pro days being nothing but fluff) ...

Ricky will have to fall back on game tape and 'what's worked for him before'. Not much there to glean from.

Also, based on draftnik scripture, I'm not seeing AVTs footwork as a strength

Below average ... with settle steps
Needs to tighten up footwork
Falls off blocks against surly two-gappers (not really footwork but cool sounding)

Signed,

Tom the Blasphemer
Post #: 860
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 2:07:44 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

After years of

Elflein
Isidora
Beavers
Thompson
Shepherd
Yankey
Baca
Bond

But I'm banking on the fact that, with no combine to build mountains of comparative three cone and shuttle data (and pro days being nothing but fluff) ...

Ricky will have to fall back on game tape and 'what's worked for him before'. Not much there to glean from.

Falls off blocks against surly two-gappers (not really footwork but cool sounding)

Signed,

Tom the Blasphemer

Game tape or some variant of the pea and three pod approach?
Post #: 861
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 2:15:22 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

After years of

Elflein
Isidora
Beavers
Thompson
Shepherd
Yankey
Baca
Bond

I'm telling you we will trade down to add a pick and then will select a Safety. Zimmer loves his DBs and needs Safety depth. Plus Spielman loves trading down to add picks and hates that he doesn't have a 2nd or any 7th rounders.

We wont be picking at 14. Can pretty much guarantee it.

And they wont address the Oline like they should....because they are clueless on what makes a good Olineman.

After FA, they should be drafting Oline Oline Oline and QBOTF. not necessarily in that order.

Everything else should be set aside in consideration.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 862
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 2:47:08 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

After years of

Elflein
Isidora
Beavers
Thompson
Shepherd
Yankey
Baca
Bond

Signed,

Tom the Blasphemer

Game tape or some variant of the pea and three pod approach?

For sure.

I absolutely have no clue in general, and specifically, what Spielman will do in this draft.

Maybe he's just diabolically clever in that way.
Post #: 863
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 3:01:36 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

After years of

Elflein
Isidora
Beavers
Thompson
Shepherd
Yankey
Baca
Bond

I'm telling you we will trade down to add a pick and then will select a Safety. Zimmer loves his DBs and needs Safety depth. Plus Spielman loves trading down to add picks and hates that he doesn't have a 2nd or any 7th rounders.

We wont be picking at 14. Can pretty much guarantee it.

And they wont address the Oline like they should....because they are clueless on what makes a good Olineman.

After FA, they should be drafting Oline Oline Oline and QBOTF. not necessarily in that order.

Everything else should be set aside in consideration.

That's the tragedy of the situation. We are so close to getting it done this offseason.

Some early picks at G and DE and we are on our way. (on paper)

Which is why it won't happen.
Post #: 864
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 3:23:22 PM   
Bill Jandro

All but count Spielman waiting until rd 5 before he addresses oline.

That's provided he hasn't traded down out of the rd all together.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 865
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 3:25:00 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Pretty spectacular for a guy who is supposed to not be athletic. Perhaps an undrafted free agent target for the Vikings.

https://twitter.com/BrendenJaimes/status/1382356088821927938?s=20

Post #: 866
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 7:41:15 PM   
Bill Jandro

I was listening to a couple podcasts today.

Mixed reviews on Darrisaw.

-All the talent in the world but a very mundane temperament.

-Plays down to his competition and seems disinterested most of the time.

-Yet threw Joseph Ossai around like a rag doll.

Jaycee Horn

-Will rip a wr's face off

-NFL comparison is Jalen Ramsey

Post #: 867
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 7:53:00 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Jaycee Horn

Philips or Parsons.

Get Orlando Brown

Get a couple Guards in 4th round

Udoh definitely in mix

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 4/14/2021 7:55:16 PM >
Post #: 868
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 8:04:01 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Jaycee Horn

Philips or Parsons.

Get Orlando Brown

Udoh definitely in mix

Philips is the best pass rusher in this class. But a concussion or two away from retirement.

Hopefully balt softens up their asking price after no takers after day one of the draft.

Ben Cleveland at 242lbs could clear some running lanes.

Post #: 869
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 8:26:29 PM   
Bill Jandro

The Bengals hold the fifth choice in the first round on April 29 in Cleveland. The popular pick for Cincinnati in mock drafts has been Oregon’s Penei Sewell, an offensive tackle. Will the addition of Reiff provide the Bengals with more flexibility at No. 5, so that Cincinnati quarterback Joe Burrow’s former LSU target Ja’Marr Chase could become a more likely option if he’s still on the board?

Jonah Williams is their current LT. #11 pick out of Bama in 2019

Post #: 870
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 8:32:06 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Jaycee Horn

Philips or Parsons.

Get Orlando Brown

Udoh definitely in mix

Philips is the best pass rusher in this class. But a concussion or two away from retirement.

Hopefully balt softens up their asking price after no takers after day one of the draft.

Ben Cleveland at 242lbs could clear some running lanes.

Agreed... Phillips looks to have great potential... but his concussion history makes me really really nervous... don't think I'd go 1st round.

Parsons is an great athlete... but not sure he is a great ball player... I don't see any instincts to his game... I think he has a high chance of bust.
Post #: 871
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/14/2021 9:47:13 PM   
kevinemmer

Phillips is too risky for us.
If Zimmer is banging the table for D,
I wouldn’t be sad with any of Horn, Paye, or Parsons.
Post #: 872
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/15/2021 3:56:12 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Parsons has character issues, if I'm not mistaken.

Post #: 873
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/15/2021 7:06:37 AM   
Brad H

You people are pretty picky in here. Some guys have character issues. Some have a history of injuries. Some play down to their competition. Others seem disinterested at times.

I forgot, are we hiring a football player or a Amazon Delivery Driver?

We have needs. In picking where they pick, they ought to be able to find a guy. It's still not going to make up for the fact that they have a $12-million quarterback making $33-million. We'll be back here 12 months from now discussing the exact same things.

Having a winner at quarterback is like having a great pitcher in softball. If you don't have one, you might as well cancel the season before it starts.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/15/2021 7:13:48 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 874
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/15/2021 7:07:09 AM   
Bruce Johnson

My choice for first pick, but good chance he's gone before #14.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/consensus-ot-50047438?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=postshare

Post #: 875
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode