Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  113 114 115 116 [117]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/7/2021 11:15:37 AM   
TJSweens

Oh good. We had gone over 12 hours without someone bringing up Cousins. I was getting worried.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2901
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/7/2021 11:49:00 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

You always know a guy is a Bad QB if it takes a legion of Fans to defend him.

If Cousins was even above average, his Fan Boys would have far fewer posts.

About halfway through the first game next season, his garbage time stats will be long forgotten,We’ll be down 21-3,
and he’ll start compiling his 2022 garbage time stats and we’ll lose 28-24.

I’m sure (now that the 2021 draft is over) nobody is posting positive crap about Mahomes, that bastard. Thats what makes him such a great QB.

(see how I kept that on task)
Post #: 2902
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/7/2021 12:25:21 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

Dana, how many offensive lineman do you think that an NFL team should carry on its roster? 🤪

On the 53, I believe 9 would be about right, but there are variables that could raise or lower that number by one. You would also have one or two on the practice squad so that also figures in.
Post #: 2903
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/8/2021 10:20:47 AM  2 votes
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

Dana, how many offensive lineman do you think that an NFL team should carry on its roster? 🤪

On the 53, I believe 9 would be about right, but there are variables that could raise or lower that number by one. You would also have one or two on the practice squad so that also figures in.

Thanks Dana.

So Phil, does that make you the winner?
Post #: 2904
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/8/2021 1:47:11 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hats4Bats

I like this move! He would be a nice compliment to Irv. Athletic for a TE. Minnesota State GOLD again?

Vikings Sign Former Minnesota State Mankato WR Shane Zylstra, Move Him to Tight End
Zylstra broke Adam Thielen's records in Mankato, and now he'll compete for a spot on the Vikings.

Will Ragatz
May 4, 2021

The Vikings have signed former Minnesota State Mankato wide receiver Shane Zylstra, his agent announced on Twitter on Tuesday evening.

According to Chris Tomasson, the Vikings are moving the 6'5", 230-pound Zylstra to tight end. He'll try to follow in Adam Thielen's path as an undrafted star from Mankato to make the Vikings and develop into an impact player.

Zylstra, a native of Spicer, MN, had a dominant career for the Mavericks, with four-year totals of 227 catches, 4,297 yards, and 55 touchdowns in 54 games. As a senior in 2019, he broke Thielen's single-season school records with 81 catches, 1,676 receiving yards, and 18 receiving touchdowns.

After going undrafted in 2020, Zylstra was hurt by the COVID-19 pandemic, which prevented him from having the tryout opportunities that he may have had in a normal year. He participated in the University of Minnesota's pro day this year, back in late March, and was scheduled to attend some rookie minicamps soon before he signed with the Vikings.

Zylstra is the younger brother of Brandon Zylstra, who played college ball at Concordia-Moorhead, began his professional career in the CFL, spent the 2018 season with the Vikings, and currently plays for the Carolina Panthers.

Shane Zylstra will compete with 2019 UDFA Brandon Dillon and recent fifth-round draft pick Zach Davidson for the Vikings' No. 3 tight end job behind Irv Smith Jr. and Tyler Conklin. Dillon has the most experience and is a solid blocker, but Davidson — who is 6'7", 245 and a great athlete — and Zylstra have more upside in the passing game.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjLh7e_3LfwAhVR7J4KHWO1A1oQuAIwAHoECAIQDA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLq6ToB_RAdk&usg=AOvVaw02vaP4KcL57YJKdwlQSq7T

conklin only has one more year here...zylstra and Davidson could develop into something interesting....

i always thought that the vikings should have turned chuck foreman into a tight end after he lost his value as a running back....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2905
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/8/2021 7:30:37 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Could be the kick returner if he sticks.

I hope punts too, unless he's as good as Cottonelle was on KOs.

Torn Achilles tendon in 2017 too.

Tricky Rick. Snuck the punter in at TE. But excellent call, odin, to see into Rick's punting mind.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 2906
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/8/2021 7:30:45 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

I've watched a ton of A&M games and was really underwhelmed by Mond early on. He's picked it up over the last season and a half, though and his accuracy has gotten considerably better. He had a bad habit of being a little too geeked up and overthrowing receivers w/ that cannon. Jimbo Fisher did some good work w/ him towards the end.
I really like where we got him. He's a bit of a late bloomer who could stand to sit a season (or two), but has all the skills to be a starter. We'll see. I'm optimistic.

Same.

I don't have giant expectations, though. Most likely Mond is a career backup. He has the physical skills. In college he improved every year, and his biggest execution flaws can be coached out. But I keep hearing that his decision-making skills need work, and that's not something that usually improves dramatically.

But as an injury sub, he'll pressure a defense. And supposedly he's unusually good at the X's and O's analysis on the sidelines. So... solid career backup, with a small chance of becoming a legit starter if he can improve his on-field processing. Maybe 5%? Early 3rd round? I'll take it.

Plus he'll likely have two years to develop without getting his confidence blown. It's a good situation for him.

Post #: 2907
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/8/2021 7:30:52 PM  1 votes
DavidAOlson

quote:

None. The offensive line should be able to carry the roster.

Post #: 2908
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/8/2021 7:55:18 PM   
DavidAOlson

Random (ignorable) thoughts:

Darrisaw: played with a sports hernia last year. With a full recovery, could be a giant steal.

Davis: also played injured. I assume he fell because teams questioned whether he'd recover fully to 2019 level of play, at least for a year.

Surratt: for a 2-year linebacker, heckuva player. Coachable athlete. Needs the coaching and physical development. Withholding judgment until his second year.

Jones & Robinson: ? I'm not enthusiastic, but Andre Patterson sees something, and I hope one will pan out. Or another developmental DE. Brailford?

Nwangwu: gonna be fun to listen to announcers say that name. Kickoff returner? I hope he can tackle on special teams.

Bynum: interesting safety project. I'm not expecting much this year, spot duty. But has the smarts to develop in a year or two.

Smith-Marsette: returner right away. And a project WR. Good luck!

Davidson: long shot, but potentially a major score if he develops. Backup long snapper, punter, and holder? That'd be interesting. Practice squad for a year...

Twyman: dart. I know people who have come apart under COVID, and I'm guessing that hit him. If he can be put back together, he's a giant steal.

Most amusing draft dream: The trade down for Darrisaw, Mond, and Davis. If they all work out, obviously a long shot, that could be one of the greatest trade downs in history.

Post #: 2909
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/8/2021 8:42:05 PM   
Bill Jandro

After further study Nnawgwu looks a lot Osborn ii.

I don't know why we drafted a guy who as a four year college player only avg 3 carries a game as rb.

He better be a hellava returner to merit that pick

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2910
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/8/2021 9:36:38 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I don't know why we drafted a guy who as a four year college player only avg 3 carries a game as rb.

He was stuck behind Breece Hall (1,572 yards and 21 touchdowns on 279 carries; 23 receptions, 180 yards), who is considered a likely first round pick next year, even as a running back.

Post #: 2911
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/8/2021 11:52:06 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

Nailed it...

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2912
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/9/2021 11:43:33 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

But Nwangwu is likely quite a bit faster. And while it's difficult to compare kick return average, Nwangwu has a substantial edge there as well. On the downside he doesn't return punts.

Osborn was a head-scratching pick and doesn't belong on the team, but we'd need a PR.
Post #: 2913
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/9/2021 1:14:46 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

Why does the SNL skit "And now, deep thoughts by Jack Handy." come to mind?
Post #: 2914
Page:   <<   < prev  113 114 115 116 [117]
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  113 114 115 116 [117]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode