Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

How many games before Kellen Mond starts?

0% (0)
  0% (0)
  10% (1)
  0% (0)
  0% (0)
Next Season (2022)
  80% (8)
NEVER
  10% (1)

Total Votes : 10

(last vote on : 6/10/2021 8:47:15 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 9:32:58 AM   
TJSweens

No, it really isn't a reasonable question. A 3rd round QB rarely winds up being a starter. It happens, but rarely. Barring injury, it happens in a span of years, not games.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 26
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 9:36:54 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

No, it really isn't a reasonable question. A 3rd round QB rarely winds up being a starter. It happens, but rarely. Barring injury, it happens in a span of years, not games.

He was the second pick in the third round. It's not a massive stretch. Given our needs at the time he was drafted, I think the Vikings have said that a new quarterback is a priority moving forward. That's why I asked the question.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 6/9/2021 9:39:38 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 27
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 10:12:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

Injuries will dictate this more than poor performance...

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 28
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 10:16:37 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Which would be the first injury of Cousins' career.
Post #: 29
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 10:21:00 AM   
Brad H

quote:

I think the Vikings brass is looking at Cousins' contract as a total anchor at this point. It's limited their ability to put together a complete team. The contract is winding down. It's time to move on.

Post #: 30
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 10:22:23 AM   
Brad H

I'd rather see the Vikings play Mond early so they know if they need to move up to draft a high-profile guy in the next draft. If not, they will be in the same dilemma a year from now. Play the kid the first chance you get and see what you've got.

Post #: 31
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 10:30:12 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

I think the Vikings brass is looking at Cousins' contract as a total anchor at this point. It's limited their ability to put together a complete team. The contract is winding down. It's time to move on.

I don't think you can say it is winding down when there are two years left at a considerable amount of guaranteed money. There is no way to get out from under that contract. A healthy Cousins will be our starter for the next two years, whether anyone likes it or not.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 32
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 10:36:05 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think you can say it is winding down when there are two years left at a considerable amount of guaranteed money. There is no way to get out from under that contract. A healthy Cousins will be our starter for the next two years, whether anyone likes it or not.

I agree with some of that. There is still two years left. However, at some point the new quarterback needs to be addressed. If you don't play Mond at all this season, you have no idea of needs entering next season's draft. The clock is ticking and Kirk Cousins isn't winning any titles. Whether or not you have dead money or not makes no difference. If Kellen Mond gives us a better chance of going somewhere special, you play him. The salaries are already in place.

If you had two pitchers and one guy was making $20-million with a 7.53 ERA, you wouldn't start him over the guy making $6.5-million with a 3.15 ERA just because he had a bigger contract. I see no difference. The contract shouldn't dictate who the starter is.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 6/9/2021 10:41:03 AM >

Post #: 33
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 10:41:04 AM   
Bill Jandro

The bigger question (regarding Mond) is Cousins even movable after this season?

I think we'd have a 10ml cap hit so any suiter would be paying him 35ml and could probably extend him and then he'd be their cap problem.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 34
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 10:42:39 AM   
TJSweens

The Vikings are approaching this as a win now season. I just don't see them throwing a 3rd round rookie QB into the fire under those circumstances.

Post #: 35
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 10:43:34 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

The bigger question (regarding Mond) is Cousins even movable after this season?

I think we'd have a 10ml cap hit so any suiter would be paying him 35ml and could probably extend him and then he'd be their cap problem.

Yep, and I think that is not likely.

Post #: 36
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 10:45:16 AM   
Brad H

quote:

The Vikings are approaching this as a win now season. I just don't see them throwing a 3rd round rookie QB into the fire under those circumstances.

Like Mike Tyson once said; everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Most teams think they have a chance at winning in June. It's November where they come face-to-face with reality.

I stand on my prediction of November 14 versus the Chargers.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 6/9/2021 10:47:39 AM >

Post #: 37
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 10:53:47 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

According to Kellin Mond's dad, the Texans were going to draft him at 67. Mond got a call from his agent, saying that the Texans planned to draft him at 67. A few minutes later Mond got another phone call. Everyone assumed it was Houston. Then he hung up and said ‘I’m going to the Vikings.’

https://www.twincities.com/2021/06/08/texans-wanted-kellen-mond-but-vikings-beat-them-to-the-quarterback-on-draft-day/

Interesting if true. I'm intrigued by Mond's potential and he is a lot more mobile than Mills.

EDIT: Why is anyone posting in here? To add fuel to Brad's fire

It's an interesting topic. That's why people care.

I think it's more a case of being a place for Cousins bitchers to congregate.

I recall starting a thread for those of us, who bitched about Favrey….

I recall an insurrection and police state response….

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 38
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 11:05:29 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 39
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 11:06:52 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

The contract has actually just started. Try to keep up....in your own game.
Post #: 40
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 11:09:35 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with some of that. There is still two years left. However, at some point the new quarterback needs to be addressed. If you don't play Mond at all this season, you have no idea of needs entering next season's draft. The clock is ticking and Kirk Cousins isn't winning any titles. Whether or not you have dead money or not makes no difference. If Kellen Mond gives us a better chance of going somewhere special, you play him. The salaries are already in place.

If you had two pitchers and one guy was making $20-million with a 7.53 ERA, you wouldn't start him over the guy making $6.5-million with a 3.15 ERA just because he had a bigger contract. I see no difference. The contract shouldn't dictate who the starter is.

Baseball has multiple starting pitchers that change every day, and you even have the option of starting a non-starting and rotating in like eight guys through the course of a game.

But other than that, exactly the same.
Post #: 41
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 11:13:12 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Baseball has multiple starting pitchers that change every day, and you even have the option of starting a non-starting and rotating in like eight guys through the course of a game.

Which makes it even more important to start the guy that gives you the best chance of winning.

It's about winning and losing. The Vikings are 25-22-1 since Cousins arrived. Which is the exact kind of quarterback he is. Average, to maybe a hair above.

AVERAGE doesn't win titles. GREAT wins titles.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 6/9/2021 11:17:13 AM >

Post #: 42
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 11:34:16 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

An anchor? Did you see who they signed this offseason by getting rid of the true anchor contracts? (Ant Harris, Rudolph, and Reiff plus to a lesser extend Stephen)?

This is before an increase in cap space expected in upcoming years they have signed:
Woods, Weatherly, Vigil, Tomlinson, Peterson, Alexander, Breeland, and a couple more backups.....seems like not that much of an anchor to me.

Post #: 43
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 11:36:43 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

An anchor? Did you see who they signed this offseason by getting rid of the true anchor contracts? (Ant Harris, Rudolph, and Reiff plus to a lesser extend Stephen)?

This is before an increase in cap space expected in upcoming years they have signed:
Woods, Weatherly, Vigil, Tomlinson, Peterson, Alexander, Breeland, and a couple more backups.....seems like not that much of an anchor to me.

Most of the players you listed are just guys. His contract is an anchor, and a heavy one at that for what you are getting. That's a ton of money for a guy with the No. 30 QB Rating in the final two minutes of halves.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 6/9/2021 11:38:02 AM >

Post #: 44
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 11:38:05 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which makes it even more important to start the guy that gives you the best chance of winning.

It's about winning and losing. The Vikings are 25-22-1 since Cousins arrived. Which is the exact kind of quarterback he is. Average, to maybe a hair above.

How does the rest of the roster compare? This is finally a high caliber roster that can compete for a trophy.

As great as Rodgers is; why do you think he is holding out this year? Ill give you a hint; the FO hasn't put a roster together where they can win it all and they are in cap hell. If you watched the TB/GB game last year you could tell it wasn't Rodgers that was the problem....

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 6/9/2021 11:39:27 AM >

Post #: 45
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 11:39:23 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How does the rest of the roster compare? This is finally a high caliber roster that can compete for a trophy.

As great as Rodgers is; why do you think he is holding out this year? Ill give you a hint; the FO hasn't put a roster together where they can win it all and they are in cap hell.

Gotta have a great QB to win. Plain and simple. Packers had a chance because they had a great QB.

Post #: 46
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 11:44:14 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

As great as Rodgers is; why do you think he is holding out this year? Ill give you a hint; the FO hasn't put a roster together where they can win it all and they are in cap hell.

Gotta have a great QB to win. Plain and simple. Packers had a chance because they had a great QB.

Chicken before the egg....TB added a great coach and great QB to a great roster. Packers GM has wasted years.

A great roster with a good QB still has a shot.

Just watch what Stafford does this year.

Here is how PFF ranked the rosters going into 2020 (Vikings were 17th) (TB and KC 4th/5th)
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster-rankings-all-32-teams-ravens-first-jaguars-last

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 6/9/2021 11:51:50 AM >

Post #: 47
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 11:54:10 AM   
Todd M

If you're so sure that Cousins will never win it all offer up a 10-1 bet to the board.

If you're not that sure....quit living it and breathing it every day.

I want it this year for a lot of reasons...its not high on the list but one of them is to see what people are left with when proven wrong. People that can't just say they don't feel good about it, they, like I said, have to live it.
Post #: 48
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 12:00:41 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

No you don't. Since 2000, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Nick Foles won Superbowls. I wouldn't call any of those guys great, but they have 4 SB MVP combined. In 2008 Pittsburg won the Superbowl with Roethlisberger throwing 17 TD and 15 Int. Hell, even Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer won Superbowls in the modern era.

For that matter Jimmy Garopalo, Jared Goff, Rex Grossman, Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Delhomme and Kerry Collins quarterbacked teams to the Superbowl during that time.

You win with great teams. Brady is the GOAT. But even Brady did not do it alone. He has played on great teams over his career. He didn't carry a bottom 5 defense and special teams on his back to the promised land.

Post #: 49
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 12:03:27 PM   
Phil Riewer

Rodgers would shut his face and show up if he thought his GB roster could win it all.....that doesn't make him any less of a diva..

Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode