Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

How many games before Kellen Mond starts?

0% (0)
  0% (0)
  10% (1)
  0% (0)
  0% (0)
Next Season (2022)
  80% (8)
NEVER
  10% (1)

Total Votes : 10

(last vote on : 6/10/2021 8:47:15 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 6:26:17 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I forgot. In Brad world, that two minutes is the only stat that matters.

And as David pointed out, he was a shell of his former self in those Superbowl years.

I wonder if Brad's wife also has a bunch of two-minute metrics she harps on....

Sorry Brad, too easy. Truly just a lighthearted taunt.
Post #: 76
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/9/2021 7:40:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Get it in the End Zone Brad!
Post #: 77
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 7:15:04 AM   
Brad H

For a thread that some don't like, it seems to be doing quite well. You're welcome.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 78
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 9:54:18 AM   
Ricky J

When it comes to baiting people into a conversation Brad you're a first ballot hall of famer - no doubt about it

Post #: 79
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 11:30:04 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

I forgot. In Brad world, that two minutes is the only stat that matters.

And as David pointed out, he was a shell of his former self in those Superbowl years.

I wonder if Brad's wife also has a bunch of two-minute metrics she harps on....

Sorry Brad, too easy. Truly just a lighthearted taunt.

I think that's one minute metrics.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 80
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 12:49:02 PM   
TJSweens

My opinion is that barring injury, Cousins will be the Vikings starting QB for all of the coming season. More likely than not he will be the starter the year after that as well.

I will also say that there are reasons to like Mond's chances of being a starter one day over the typical 3rd round draft choice. While the Vikings tried to trade up in the first round to get Fields, there are scouts with the Vikings who liked Mond just as much or more than Fields. Chris Simms, who has a rather impressive track record in evaluating QB talent, rated Mond higher than first round picks Fields or Trey Lance. In fact, he rated Mond as a top 20 talent in the draft.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 81
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 12:51:29 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

My opinion is that barring injury, Cousins will be the Vikings starting QB for all of the coming season. More likely than not he will be the starter the year after that as well.

I will also say that there are reasons to like Mond's chances of being a starter one day over the typical 3rd round draft choice. While the Vikings tried to trade up in the first round to get Fields, there are scouts with the Vikings who liked Mond just as much or more than Fields. Chris Simms, who has a rather impressive track record in evaluating QB talent, rated Mond higher than first round picks Fields or Trey Lance. In fact, he rated Mond as a top 20 talent in the draft.

Yep. That is encouraging.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 82
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 3:25:23 PM   
Steve Lentz

I would've loved to get Fields. He's going to be a star!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 83
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 3:49:53 PM   
Brad H

quote:

Classic Sweens, playing both sides of the fence.

Post #: 84
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 3:55:19 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

He went to Bears where good QBs go to die.

I wouldn't anoint him just yet.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 85
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 4:05:29 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

How is that playing both sides of the fence? I believe Cousins will start for the rest of his contract. There are no guarantees with a 3rd round QB, but there are some reasons to hope for Mond.

It's called a balanced view Brad. If you were ever interested in anything but incessantly trying to bait fights, you could probably figure that out yourself.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 86
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 4:13:32 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

How is that playing both sides of the fence? I believe Cousins will start for the rest of his contract. There are no guarantees with a 3rd round QB, but there are some reasons to hope for Mond.

It's called a balanced view Brad. If you were ever interested in anything but incessantly trying to bait fights, you could probably figure that out yourself.

Don't worry Sweens...you are "just another guy" that doesn't agree with Brad.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 87
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 5:15:57 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

I of course hope he fails.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 88
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/10/2021 5:21:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Agreed.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 89
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/11/2021 7:11:19 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pot meet kettle.

Post #: 90
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/11/2021 7:55:14 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pot meet kettle.

As long as you're acknowledging it....pleased to meet you.

Post #: 91
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/11/2021 10:23:21 AM   
kgdabom

Don't be very surprised if Browning is the primary backup to Kirk this year. Reports are he remains firmly ahead of Mond and Stanley for the #2 QB role.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 92
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/14/2021 10:36:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom
Don't be very surprised if Browning is the primary backup to Kirk this year. Reports are he remains firmly ahead of Mond and Stanley for the #2 QB role.

This is just a couple weeks after the draft....I would hope Browning is ahead of Mond right now.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 93
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/14/2021 10:41:54 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

This is just a couple weeks after the draft....I would hope Browning is ahead of Mond right now.

They aren't going to change the depth chart during early OTA's.

Post #: 94
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/14/2021 12:09:24 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would only be mildly surprised if Browning is the primary backup to Kirk all year.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 95
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/14/2021 12:38:49 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Absolutely. No team is going to update their QB depth chart at this point, in this situation. Doubly so the Zimmer Vikings.

That said I'll be shocked if Browning is still #2 as we approach the season. If he is, something went horribly wrong, because Browning really has never even been a prospect. He's a marginal QB when he has all the time in the world, falls apart when he doesn't:

Arm Accuracy –Capable of slotting the ball accurately in the shorter areas of the field. A true West Coast offense passer if there ever was one. Accuracy wanes on throws further into the boundary and further down the field. Can pick you apart within the 10 yard window.

Decision Making –Typically makes sound decisions with the football, likes to take soft coverage and is effective and quick to find it. Mentally sharp passer, particularly when he's left uncontested within the pocket. Decisions are hasty at times when flushed off his spot.

Progressions –Plays like a true "point guard". He's eager to distribute the football and get things working quickly to his skill players. Eyes move rapidly and understands where his check downs are. That said, is quick to give up on reads and dump off to leave yards on the field.

Anticipation –Good spot throwing on slants, outs, corners and dig patterns. Typically effective in navigating his way through the shallows, where his trust in ability to place the ball effectively is masked. Feel for pressure, however, is irregular and is constantly caught off guard with rushers.

Poise –Can be baffled by pressure. Turtles in the pocket and shies away from pending contact, but subsequently will throw the ball up for grabs and lose all care for ball security and sound decision making. Quick to rush and hope to avoid contact, even on free plays and defensive penalties.

Arm Strength –Lacks any juice at all on this throws. The ball dies noticeably as it reaches it's destination, typically forcing receivers to reach away from the frame to dig it out. Defenders will get a great jump on his throws when he's trying to slot it into tight windows.

Pocket Awareness –Can be guilty of getting skittish and quick to drop his eyes after a few good licks in the pocket. Doesn't show a great sense of where his escape hatches are within the pocket and will roll or slide into pressure more often than you'd prefer.

Mechanics –Delivery is long, which further complicates poor velocity on his throws. Exposes the ball to pass rushers on his delivery, amplifying turnover potential when paired with poor pocket awareness. Has poor habits when trying to throw on the move, neutering arm even more.

Footwork –Like his rhythm getting out of the snap. Does well to get back down hill when rolling out and looking to disperse the football while on the move, aiding his push on the football. Does not consistently reset once he's forced to slide, however and will force greater variance in his accuracy.

Mobility –Does not have the burst, quickness or long speed to force defenses to account for him as a potential rusher. Sub-par athlete without skills in forcing missed tackle challenges on his throwing platform or from the pocket.

----------------

PROS: Shows the ability to throw with touch and can make bucket throws when his receiver has downfield leverage. As a pocket passer, is at his best on rhythm and anticipation plays. Can nickel and dime with good ball placement relative to leverage. While often frantic and jumpy in the face of pressure, does have good escapability in the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield to extend plays. Able to create on the fly and works well to direct traffic on the move. Retains same levels of velocity and touch on the move as in the pocket and is frequently rolled out accordingly--however, accuracy can take a bit of a dip on the run, especially with pressure present.

CONS: Does not have the baseline arm strength necessary to make all the NFL throws. Puts his entire frame in deep balls and ends up throwing massive rainbows that give safeties plenty of time to attack. Does not boast of the same anticipation with downfield concepts as he does with short yardage ones. Cannot jam the football into tight windows nor keep pacing of play outside of the (college) hashes. Needs air under the ball to hit comebacks, curls, and outs.

Leaves far too much yardage on the field. Is unwilling to test man coverage unless it's one of his last remaining options and will pull the ball down when he has a man clearly open deep. Despite some good touch throws into space, cannot drop the ball into buckets between defenders/levels of the field--does not have that degree of control or angle modulation in his throwing motion. Throwing motion is long and can become divorced from lower half when he becomes frantic in the pocket. Pressure disrupts him and he cannot deliver under duress--has to escape and reset. Every play is an adventure in terms of pump fakes, resets, scrambles, redirects--he's hectic. Cannot be trusted on a game-to-game basis to consistently deliver--too easily frazzled.
Post #: 96
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/14/2021 1:25:49 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Absolutely. No team is going to update their QB depth chart at this point, in this situation. Doubly so the Zimmer Vikings.

That said I'll be shocked if Browning is still #2 as we approach the season. If he is, something went horribly wrong, because Browning really has never even been a prospect. He's a marginal QB when he has all the time in the world, falls apart when he doesn't:

Arm Accuracy –Capable of slotting the ball accurately in the shorter areas of the field. A true West Coast offense passer if there ever was one. Accuracy wanes on throws further into the boundary and further down the field. Can pick you apart within the 10 yard window.

Decision Making –Typically makes sound decisions with the football, likes to take soft coverage and is effective and quick to find it. Mentally sharp passer, particularly when he's left uncontested within the pocket. Decisions are hasty at times when flushed off his spot.

Progressions –Plays like a true "point guard". He's eager to distribute the football and get things working quickly to his skill players. Eyes move rapidly and understands where his check downs are. That said, is quick to give up on reads and dump off to leave yards on the field.

Anticipation –Good spot throwing on slants, outs, corners and dig patterns. Typically effective in navigating his way through the shallows, where his trust in ability to place the ball effectively is masked. Feel for pressure, however, is irregular and is constantly caught off guard with rushers.

Poise –Can be baffled by pressure. Turtles in the pocket and shies away from pending contact, but subsequently will throw the ball up for grabs and lose all care for ball security and sound decision making. Quick to rush and hope to avoid contact, even on free plays and defensive penalties.

Arm Strength –Lacks any juice at all on this throws. The ball dies noticeably as it reaches it's destination, typically forcing receivers to reach away from the frame to dig it out. Defenders will get a great jump on his throws when he's trying to slot it into tight windows.

Pocket Awareness –Can be guilty of getting skittish and quick to drop his eyes after a few good licks in the pocket. Doesn't show a great sense of where his escape hatches are within the pocket and will roll or slide into pressure more often than you'd prefer.

Mechanics –Delivery is long, which further complicates poor velocity on his throws. Exposes the ball to pass rushers on his delivery, amplifying turnover potential when paired with poor pocket awareness. Has poor habits when trying to throw on the move, neutering arm even more.

Footwork –Like his rhythm getting out of the snap. Does well to get back down hill when rolling out and looking to disperse the football while on the move, aiding his push on the football. Does not consistently reset once he's forced to slide, however and will force greater variance in his accuracy.

Mobility –Does not have the burst, quickness or long speed to force defenses to account for him as a potential rusher. Sub-par athlete without skills in forcing missed tackle challenges on his throwing platform or from the pocket.

----------------

PROS: Shows the ability to throw with touch and can make bucket throws when his receiver has downfield leverage. As a pocket passer, is at his best on rhythm and anticipation plays. Can nickel and dime with good ball placement relative to leverage. While often frantic and jumpy in the face of pressure, does have good escapability in the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield to extend plays. Able to create on the fly and works well to direct traffic on the move. Retains same levels of velocity and touch on the move as in the pocket and is frequently rolled out accordingly--however, accuracy can take a bit of a dip on the run, especially with pressure present.

CONS: Does not have the baseline arm strength necessary to make all the NFL throws. Puts his entire frame in deep balls and ends up throwing massive rainbows that give safeties plenty of time to attack. Does not boast of the same anticipation with downfield concepts as he does with short yardage ones. Cannot jam the football into tight windows nor keep pacing of play outside of the (college) hashes. Needs air under the ball to hit comebacks, curls, and outs.

Leaves far too much yardage on the field. Is unwilling to test man coverage unless it's one of his last remaining options and will pull the ball down when he has a man clearly open deep. Despite some good touch throws into space, cannot drop the ball into buckets between defenders/levels of the field--does not have that degree of control or angle modulation in his throwing motion. Throwing motion is long and can become divorced from lower half when he becomes frantic in the pocket. Pressure disrupts him and he cannot deliver under duress--has to escape and reset. Every play is an adventure in terms of pump fakes, resets, scrambles, redirects--he's hectic. Cannot be trusted on a game-to-game basis to consistently deliver--too easily frazzled.

Yep. Browning is an absolute nothing. Right now the focus with Mond is just to learn the playbook and terminology. By training camp, he will be full bore and I have no doubt what so every that he leave Browning in the dust.

Post #: 97
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/14/2021 1:38:26 PM   
David Levine

It'll be refreshing to have someone with potential backing up Cousins for the very first time.

Siemian, Mannion, Browning, Stanley...Its a good thing Kirk never gets hurt...

< Message edited by David Levine -- 6/14/2021 1:40:50 PM >
Post #: 98
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/14/2021 5:23:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

----------------

Yep. Browning is an absolute nothing. Right now the focus with Mond is just to learn the playbook and terminology. By training camp, he will be full bore and I have no doubt what so every that he leave Browning in the dust.

No doubt whatsoever. OK. What will you do if wrong? Run naked and take a dump on the pukers logo on the 50 yard line at lameblow field?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 99
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/14/2021 6:16:09 PM   
Todd M

quote:

It'll be refreshing to have someone with potential backing up Cousins for the very first time.

Siemian, Mannion, Browning, Stanley...Its a good thing Kirk never gets hurt...

Man that list is so so bad.

100% on props to Cousins on staying healthy.
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode