Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
[Poll]

How many games before Kellen Mond starts?

0% (0)
  0% (0)
  10% (1)
  0% (0)
  0% (0)
Next Season (2022)
  80% (8)
NEVER
  10% (1)

Total Votes : 10

(last vote on : 6/10/2021 8:47:15 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/14/2021 7:33:12 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

It'll be refreshing to have someone with potential backing up Cousins for the very first time.

Siemian, Mannion, Browning, Stanley...Its a good thing Kirk never gets hurt...

Man that list is so so bad.

100% on props to Cousins on staying healthy.

One of the most important abilities is availability.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 101
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 6:45:52 AM   
Bill Jandro

Wasn't Browning (at one point in college) considered to be a future top pick in the draft?

I know he got hurt and his arm strength must have never recovered while acquiring happy feet.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 102
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 8:48:32 AM   
TJSweens

Maybe a future top pick in the 6th round. I don't ever remember Browning being that highly regarded.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 103
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 9:18:08 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Wasn't Browning (at one point in college) considered to be a future top pick in the draft?

I know he got hurt and his arm strength must have never recovered while acquiring happy feet.

He was definitely a player in HS and then in his Sophomore season (43 TDs, 9 iNTs, sixth in the 2016 Heisman Trophy voting).

The shoulder injury late that year basically destroyed him. And since its been 5 years since the injury, it's hard to imagine him ever recovering from it.

Browning attended Folsom High School in Folsom, California. At Folsom, Browning had a 4.0 GPA, was active in clubs, and set numerous national and state records during his high school career. In 46 games, he completed 1,191 of 1,708 attempts for 16,775 yards and 229 touchdowns, all California records. The 229 touchdowns also broke the national record previously held by Maty Mauk who had 219. As a senior, he threw for a national-record 91 touchdown passes. He also passed for a California-record 5,790 yards, which broke his record from his junior year. Browning was the Gatorade Football Player of the Year during his junior and senior years.

Browning was rated as a four-star recruit by Rivals.com and was ranked as the third-best pro-style recruit in his class. He committed to the University of Washington to play college football.
Post #: 104
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 9:31:50 AM   
TJSweens

Damn, what a shame. I didn't realize he was that good once upon a time. I feel bad for the kid. It was a good move by the Vikings to get him as an undrafted FA. If they could rehab him back to his old arm strength, they could have had something. Like David said, if it hasn't come back after five years, it's not likely to.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 105
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 9:52:54 AM   
David Levine

His Sophomore year was crazy good:

Sophomore
In his sophomore year, Browning performed on a much higher level, guiding UW to a 12–2 record, and the Huskies' first conference championship since 2000 He set a new record for touchdowns per attempt at 12.2%. On November 29, he was named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year and first team all-Pac-12. Browning came in sixth in the 2016 Heisman Trophy voting, narrowly missing an invitation to attend the award ceremony in New York City. His sixth-place finish is the second-best Heisman voting finish in school history, behind only Steve Emtman who finished fourth.

Browning underwent shoulder surgery on his throwing arm a couple weeks after facing Alabama in the College Football Playoff. His injury was kept secret for nearly two months, and some commentators have speculated as to a connection between the injury and Browning's reduced performance in the latter portion of the season.

243/391 (62.1%), 3430 Yards, 43 TDs, 9 INTS. 167.5 Rating.

His completion % actually went up his Jr. and Sr, years, but I'd guess that's because he was only throwing short stuff.

Jr, 11 Games: 18 TDs, 5 INTs.
Sr, 14 Games: 16 TDs, 10 INTs.
Post #: 106
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 10:18:10 AM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Damn, what a shame. I didn't realize he was that good once upon a time. I feel bad for the kid. It was a good move by the Vikings to get him as an undrafted FA. If they could rehab him back to his old arm strength, they could have had something. Like David said, if it hasn't come back after five years, it's not likely to.

I've dealt with a minor shoulder issue for maybe 10 years. I've gotten it to "okay" multiple times, although some motions were weirdly weak. About 2 months ago, I started 4 exercises that finally strengthened the shoulder to where it feels solid (weird range-of-motion stuff in a pool). So I don't know. Likely it'll never be the same, sure. But that was true 5 years ago, and much of the challenge is figuring out which muscles can be strengthened next without unbalancing the shoulder. So I wouldn't give up on the possibility of making progress.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 107
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 10:24:33 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

I've dealt with a minor shoulder issue for maybe 10 years. I've gotten it to "okay" multiple times, although some motions were weirdly weak. About 2 months ago, I started 4 exercises that finally strengthened the shoulder to where it feels solid (weird range-of-motion stuff in a pool). So I don't know. Likely it'll never be the same, sure. But that was true 5 years ago, and much of the challenge is figuring out which muscles can be strengthened next without unbalancing the shoulder. So I wouldn't give up on the possibility of making progress.

Maybe?

But I'd imagine there is a huge gulf between an average person feeling "right" and a pro athlete being able to make NFL caliber throws.

And it seems to go beyond just having a noodle arm. It seems to have psychologically affected every other aspect of his game.
Post #: 108
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 10:31:32 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe?

But I'd imagine there is a huge gulf between an average person feeling "right" and a pro athlete being able to make NFL caliber throws.

And it seems to go beyond just having a noodle arm. It seems to have psychologically affected every other aspect of his game.

There is also a difference between minor shoulder issues and a shoulder issue that requires surgery.

Post #: 109
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 10:35:41 AM   
David Levine

Absolutely.
Post #: 110
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 11:07:17 AM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe?

Oh, I'm certain there's no real comparison between me and any professional athlete. I'm extrapolating, perhaps absurdly. I learned to avoid certain motions and developed weird ways to compensate, like using my body to throw my arm up to reach above my shoulder. I only had to undo a few layers of that compensation to get normal-ish. I assume he has had many, many more layers of movements to re-learn to throw at an NFL level.

But with so many muscles in the shoulder, order matters, and to make the next bit of improvement, one challenge is to figure out which muscles need what type of work. (In retrospect, I needed to do something weird to make progress, because I'd done all the standard stuff.) I assume they're constantly trying to figure out which thing to improve next. It's a fantastically complicated rehab, and I doubt his college rehab was done with the comprehensiveness he's gotten in two years with Sugarman.

Probably won't get to his former potential, but who knows. Sugarman is really good. Maybe he's re-developed Browning's throwing motion to be a solid NFL backup, with more potential.

Or maybe it'll fizz.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 111
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 11:35:45 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Yep. Injury sapped some arm strength. Supposedly he has recovered it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 112
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 11:37:11 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Maybe a future top pick in the 6th round. I don't ever remember Browning being that highly regarded.

Browning was the #1 prospect in the nation out of HS and set virtually every Pac 12 passing record. He was very highly regarded and before the injury was pretty much a lock to be a first round pick.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 113
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 11:38:22 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

He was definitely a player in HS and then in his Sophomore season (43 TDs, 9 iNTs, sixth in the 2016 Heisman Trophy voting).

The shoulder injury late that year basically destroyed him. And since its been 5 years since the injury, it's hard to imagine him ever recovering from it.

Browning attended Folsom High School in Folsom, California. At Folsom, Browning had a 4.0 GPA, was active in clubs, and set numerous national and state records during his high school career. In 46 games, he completed 1,191 of 1,708 attempts for 16,775 yards and 229 touchdowns, all California records. The 229 touchdowns also broke the national record previously held by Maty Mauk who had 219. As a senior, he threw for a national-record 91 touchdown passes. He also passed for a California-record 5,790 yards, which broke his record from his junior year. Browning was the Gatorade Football Player of the Year during his junior and senior years.

Browning was rated as a four-star recruit by Rivals.com and was ranked as the third-best pro-style recruit in his class. He committed to the University of Washington to play college football.

I'd heard the #1 QB prospect in his class, but I'll take #3. 2 Time National Player of the year.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 6/15/2021 11:41:48 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 114
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 11:50:01 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe?

Oh, I'm certain there's no real comparison between me and any professional athlete. I'm extrapolating, perhaps absurdly. I learned to avoid certain motions and developed weird ways to compensate, like using my body to throw my arm up to reach above my shoulder. I only had to undo a few layers of that compensation to get normal-ish. I assume he has had many, many more layers of movements to re-learn to throw at an NFL level.

But with so many muscles in the shoulder, order matters, and to make the next bit of improvement, one challenge is to figure out which muscles need what type of work. (In retrospect, I needed to do something weird to make progress, because I'd done all the standard stuff.) I assume they're constantly trying to figure out which thing to improve next. It's a fantastically complicated rehab, and I doubt his college rehab was done with the comprehensiveness he's gotten in two years with Sugarman.

Probably won't get to his former potential, but who knows. Sugarman is really good. Maybe he's re-developed Browning's throwing motion to be a solid NFL backup, with more potential.

Or maybe it'll fizz.

And I'm fine with keeping him around a bit as an inactive 3rd QB to see if he can ever regain a viable NFL arm. But under no circumstance should he have been the #2 guy.
Post #: 115
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 2:24:15 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe?

There is also a difference between minor shoulder issues and a shoulder issue that requires surgery.

I remember reading a story about an outfielder who had resumed playing post-surgery and unloaded a throw accompanied by a heinous ripping/cracking/zipperish sound as well as an extreme sensation he assumed to be pain. Everyone heard the sound and his subsequent scream, but it turned out to be scar tissue tearing. His pain was not bad at all and he suddenly made a quantum leap in the strength, mobility, and flexibility of his shoulder. This was not right away but also not real long past his return to play. It was such an extreme, vivid scene that I've not only never forgotten it, I think about it every time I hear about an athlete rehabbing a shoulder. No idea who it was or whether it was exaggerated.
Post #: 116
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 3:05:18 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe?

Or maybe it'll fizz.

And I'm fine with keeping him around a bit as an inactive 3rd QB to see if he can ever regain a viable NFL arm. But under no circumstance should he have been the #2 guy.

To me it is as simple as this.

If Browning were any good, We would not have drafted Nate Stanley the next year or Kellen Mond this year.

We couldn't count on Sloter. Or Heinecke. Why should we count on this guy?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 117
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 4:39:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

From earlier: Every play is an adventure in terms of pump fakes, resets, scrambles, redirects--he's hectic.

We've seen the type. That's all that needs to be said.
Post #: 118
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 5:04:36 PM   
Steve Lentz

Never liked the Stanley pick.

Every play is an adventure in terms of pump fakes, resets, scrambles, redirects--he's hectic.
Tarkenton???

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 119
RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? - 6/15/2021 5:34:02 PM   
thebigo

So are the reports of Brownings noodly arm 2 years old, and not based on any current status? Or is it known to still be noodly. That's kind of a hypothetical, because I'm sure SOMEONE will know.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 6/15/2021 5:35:09 PM >
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: How many games before Kellen Mond starts? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode