Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2022 NFL draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 7:56:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

We have really not learned what talent the 2021 draft will have yet. Darrisaw looks good and Bynum played some but no one knows where they are at as possible backups or starters. Zimmer must hate rookies

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1451
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 8:25:12 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Our weakest starting links at this point are C and TE ... not that we'll find starter cometition in the fourth ...

would really like to take a stab at TE if Kolar is still there when we pick (maybe Otton, think we met with Bellinger).

dang there's not a lot of options this draft at center (Chasen Hines? Zach Tom?)

OT (Brandel, Udoh) is super thin.

CB Zyon McCollum 6-2 199 4.33 39.5 vert 3.94 20 yd shuttle - ballhawk with great measurables, big time gunner, has safety potential also

WR Shakir (6-0 196 4.43 - Inside gadget type with tremendous intangibles) or Calvin Austin (5-8 170 4.32 39"vert - tiny but fearless, super fast and can elevate / return punts)

I think we have depth at DE / OLB Jones Robinson Willekes Wonnum and DT Tomlinson Phillips Watts so maybe a pure Edge (Todd's Barno) or huge space eating NT (Ridgeway6-5 321, Farrell 6-4 330)

Some good names there. Especially Kolar and the 2 WRs.

There is a Tackle from UND that could be there in 6th or 7th.

A trade up for Winfrey would be nice.
Post #: 1452
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 8:29:44 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

word is that reed has been taking some snaps at center...it would be great if right guard was a competition between ingram and wyatt davis, and reed versus bradbury in the middle....

i'm still a little disappointed about not drafting jameson Williams, but the truth is, kwesi did what i always wanted spielman to do; trade back and focus on the 2nd round, and he damn near almost ended up with four 2nd round picks....

As of right now, I think it is Bradbury and Reed battling it out for Center. Davis brothers and Ingram for RG.
Post #: 1453
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 8:38:46 AM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Love the look of our new LB.

Asamoah and Cine have some mean and nasty to them. Both look very athletic.

Ingram: 2020 was very good. 2021 not very good. Off the field stuff is iffy to say the least.

Booth Jr.: Says he has played hurt most of his college career. And was pretty darn good. Maybe a boom or bust guy(because of injuries)

I like the Cine pick, too. I had been higher on Hamilton, but his even slower 40 at his pro day was baffling. Coming out of the combine, that was the big concern, and he wasn't able to address it. And his flying 20 (last half) wasn't fast, either. Very strange.

Not sure about Asamoah. Lots of similarly ranked LB on the board, many higher. I wonder what they saw.

Ingram... "iffy to say the least." Best case: he was clearly a minor, people change a lot from 16 to 22, and it was an obvious issue to investigate thoroughly. I hope the Vikes were thorough, and correct.

I share your thoughts on Booth. If he was a first round prospect despite being injured, he's got a very, very high ceiling. Now that he's got access to first-rate athletic rehab and medical care, maybe it can be resolved.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 1454
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 8:51:50 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

word is that reed has been taking some snaps at center...it would be great if right guard was a competition between ingram and wyatt davis, and reed versus bradbury in the middle....

i'm still a little disappointed about not drafting jameson Williams, but the truth is, kwesi did what i always wanted spielman to do; trade back and focus on the 2nd round, and he damn near almost ended up with four 2nd round picks....

Yes, good point.

Kwesi doesn't have a track record so it's hard to judge how well he did with big reach Ingram and small reach Asamoah ... but its hard to argue with the positions we addressed also.

Some say Ingram is stout in pass protection, but not great at the second level. Clearly not someone we would have been interested in during the Kubiak era. Character issues aside, I'm glad we're trying something different.
Post #: 1455
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 9:17:34 AM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Kwesi doesn't have a track record so it's hard to judge how well he did with big reach Ingram and small reach Asamoah ... but its hard to argue with the positions we addressed also.

Some say Ingram is stout in pass protection, but not great at the second level. Clearly not someone we would have been interested in during the Kubiak era. Character issues aside, I'm glad we're trying something different.

But we really haven't done anything different, we still have multiple 6's and a 7th.

What would have been different and excited me is if we had Williams plus everyone we drafted and only one or 2 picks today. I wouldn't even care if that was our entire draft and had no picks today.

Just once, I'd like to see a draft where we make multiple trades and all of them are trade ups and end up with 6 or less picks.

Quality over quantity.

Now that would be different. This feels like same ole same old.

< Message edited by Murph -- 4/30/2022 9:30:38 AM >

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 1456
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 9:40:05 AM   
Chris Olson

I think Kwesi and Co had a distinct plan that if certain guys weren't available they had ID'd as game changers (at need positions) they were going to move back and get those 2nd rounders in this bigger than usual draft class...and extra picks, too

They targeted defensive backfield, OL and speed

You can quibble over the style, trading with division rivals, and which specific players, but I love it overall!
Post #: 1457
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 9:46:20 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

But we really haven't done anything different, we still have multiple 6's and a 7th.

What would have been different and excited me is if we had Williams plus everyone we drafted and only one or 2 picks today. I wouldn't even care if that was our entire draft and had no picks today.

Just once, I'd like to see a draft where we make multiple trades and all of them are trade ups and end up with 6 or less picks.

Quality over quantity.

We have a lot of holes to fill. Our secondary was easily bottom 5. Booth and Cine seem like quality.

I could see an argument of going Hamilton and then getting Booth at 46 or with a slight trade up.
Post #: 1458
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 9:50:21 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

We have a lot of holes to fill. Our secondary was easily bottom 5. Booth and Cine seem like quality.

I could see an argument of going Hamilton and then getting Booth at 46 or with a slight trade up.

Then they should have traded Cousins, Smith and Thielen for more picks. And more cap room to sign FA's.

< Message edited by Murph -- 4/30/2022 9:53:44 AM >

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 1459
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 9:50:24 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

Our weakest starting links at this point are C and TE ... not that we'll find starter cometition in the fourth ...

would really like to take a stab at TE if Kolar is still there when we pick (maybe Otton, think we met with Bellinger).

dang there's not a lot of options this draft at center (Chasen Hines? Zach Tom?)

OT (Brandel, Udoh) is super thin.

CB Zyon McCollum 6-2 199 4.33 39.5 vert 3.94 20 yd shuttle - ballhawk with great measurables, big time gunner, has safety potential also

WR Shakir (6-0 196 4.43 - Inside gadget type with tremendous intangibles) or Calvin Austin (5-8 170 4.32 39"vert - tiny but fearless, super fast and can elevate / return punts)

I think we have depth at DE / OLB Jones Robinson Willekes Wonnum and DT Tomlinson Phillips Watts so maybe a pure Edge (Todd's Barno) or huge space eating NT (Ridgeway6-5 321, Farrell 6-4 330)

kolar - 6'-7" with long arms and large hands...not slow...relies on his strength and ability to make contested catches working against man coverage....

if there's somebody that kwesi likes, he could move up towards the top of the 4th by giving up a 6th....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1460
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 9:51:41 AM   
kgdabom

I love the courage to trade with division rivals. It's refreshing. However, I hated the value of the Detroit trade. We fleeced the Pukers.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1461
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 9:54:02 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Then they should have traded Cousins, Smith and Thielen for more picks.

Competitive rebuild
Post #: 1462
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 9:56:24 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Competitive rebuild

Yep, I see us as a 7-11 win team, depending on close game outcomes for the next 3 years, then maybe another regime change?

Going to be good but never great.

< Message edited by Murph -- 4/30/2022 9:59:02 AM >

Post #: 1463
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:01:50 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

I'm not sure if Jameson Williams is a slam dunk.

He was the 4th WR selected and a team(Saints) with a pretty good GM moved up to grab Olave instead of him.
Post #: 1464
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:05:55 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Competitive rebuild

Yep, I see us as a 7-11 win team, depending on close game outcomes for the next 3 years, then maybe another regime change?

Going to be good but never great.

It all depends on the QB. And it seems that this year is a bad year for getting a QBOTF.

So, load up your horrible defense with some young guys and then maybe make a move on a QB next year.

In the meantime, maybe KOC gets Cousins to another level and we find lightning in a bottle.
Post #: 1465
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:06:04 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

He was the 4th WR selected and a team(Saints) with a pretty good GM moved up to grab Olave instead of him.

I agree but he has the potential to be the best player in the draft too. He wasn't the only player we passed on, there were 19 others. I think we could have gotten Cine with our 2nd or a player very comparable. Jalne Pitre for example. Or made a small trade up for him.

I don't care what chart you use Kwesi got schooled, big time. No one in Detroit is complaining about the trade?

It feels like we lost a first round pick in this draft.

< Message edited by Murph -- 4/30/2022 10:08:08 AM >

Post #: 1466
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:11:36 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

I agree but he has the potential to be the best player in the draft too. He wasn't the only player we passed on, there were 19 others. I think we could have gotten Cine with our 2nd or a player very comparable. Jalne Pitre for example. Or made a small trade up for him.

I don't care what chart you use Kwesi got schooled, big time. No one in Detroit is complaining about the trade?

Yep.

We should have kept 46. Probably just went 12 for 32 and 34.
Post #: 1467
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:12:40 AM   
Steve Lentz

I really wanted Williams. IMO going to be a difference maker.
Cine is a good pick though I leaned towards Hamilton.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1468
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:14:16 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Yep.

Now we're cooking. Use all of our 6th and 7th rounders to from 46 too!

Post #: 1469
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:14:20 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

I love the courage to trade with division rivals. It's refreshing. However, I hated the value of the Detroit trade. We fleeced the Pukers.

I don't know if it's courage but it doesn't bother me - Gee, you can't do that? Why? Because we never do that ....

GB most probably would of got their guy one way or another anyway ...
Post #: 1470
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:17:27 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Yep.

If you are in early 2nd Round and you start offering multiple 6th and 7th rounders to move up, I think you will hear a click on your phone.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 4/30/2022 10:18:39 AM >
Post #: 1471
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:18:07 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

[/quote

It seems unlikely that a new regime would take that route. They’ve obviously studied film, but since Zim rarely played last year’s draft picks, Kwesi and company don’t have a real sense of what they’re working with. Better to add more players and hope they fill out the roster. With a season under their belts, I could see a very different approach to next year’s draft.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 1472
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:18:51 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Yep.

If you are in early 2nd Round and you start offering multiple 6th and 7th rounders to move up, I think you will here a click on your phone.

Unless your the Vikings, lol

Post #: 1473
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:19:36 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

We moved up in the second, gained another second , moved up to the second pick of the 3rd and reduced the number of 6th round picks in the process. That's very different.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1474
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:25:24 AM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

We moved up in the second, gained another second , moved up to the second pick of the 3rd and reduced the number of 6th round picks in the process. That's very different.

I want more trading up and little to no trading back. Something different.

This front office is just literally running it back and praying everything negative was 100% Zimmer's fault. Same roster, same draft day MO. Doesn't feel like much has changed outside of the new coach.

Post #: 1475
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode