Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2022 NFL draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:34:40 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Our weakest starting links at this point are C and TE ... not that we'll find starter cometition in the fourth ...

would really like to take a stab at TE if Kolar is still there when we pick (maybe Otton, think we met with Bellinger).

dang there's not a lot of options this draft at center (Chasen Hines? Zach Tom?)

OT (Brandel, Udoh) is super thin.

CB Zyon McCollum 6-2 199 4.33 39.5 vert 3.94 20 yd shuttle - ballhawk with great measurables, big time gunner, has safety potential also

WR Shakir (6-0 196 4.43 - Inside gadget type with tremendous intangibles) or Calvin Austin (5-8 170 4.32 39"vert - tiny but fearless, super fast and can elevate / return punts)

I think we have depth at DE / OLB Jones Robinson Willekes Wonnum and DT Tomlinson Phillips Watts so maybe a pure Edge (Todd's Barno) or huge space eating NT (Ridgeway6-5 321, Farrell 6-4 330)

Some good names there. Especially Kolar and the 2 WRs.

There is a Tackle from UND that could be there in 6th or 7th.

A trade up for Winfrey would be nice.

I have my fingers crossed for Austin, and I'd move up for him. PR value plus some degree of dynamism from the slot.
Post #: 1476
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:39:33 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

word is that reed has been taking some snaps at center...it would be great if right guard was a competition between ingram and wyatt davis, and reed versus bradbury in the middle....

i'm still a little disappointed about not drafting jameson Williams, but the truth is, kwesi did what i always wanted spielman to do; trade back and focus on the 2nd round, and he damn near almost ended up with four 2nd round picks....

Yes, good point.

Kwesi doesn't have a track record so it's hard to judge how well he did with big reach Ingram and small reach Asamoah ... but its hard to argue with the positions we addressed also.

Some say Ingram is stout in pass protection, but not great at the second level. Clearly not someone we would have been interested in during the Kubiak era. Character issues aside, I'm glad we're trying something different.

These were my thoughts. They are trying to address pass pressure up the middle, he can pull (and at least occasionally crush people), and they know what they want. Whatever they found in their vetting had better be right, or it's BS. I liked what I'd heard about a couple of the edge rushers picked shortly after and I wouldn't have minded a trade up to get Skyy Moore, but they get the chance to realize their vision, so I'm good with it.
Post #: 1477
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:40:29 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

I think Kwesi and Co had a distinct plan that if certain guys weren't available they had ID'd as game changers (at need positions) they were going to move back and get those 2nd rounders in this bigger than usual draft class...and extra picks, too

They targeted defensive backfield, OL and speed

You can quibble over the style, trading with division rivals, and which specific players, but I love it overall!

Agreed.
Post #: 1478
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:42:08 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

word is that reed has been taking some snaps at center...it would be great if right guard was a competition between ingram and wyatt davis, and reed versus bradbury in the middle....

i'm still a little disappointed about not drafting jameson Williams, but the truth is, kwesi did what i always wanted spielman to do; trade back and focus on the 2nd round, and he damn near almost ended up with four 2nd round picks....

Yes, good point.

Kwesi doesn't have a track record so it's hard to judge how well he did with big reach Ingram and small reach Asamoah ... but its hard to argue with the positions we addressed also.

Some say Ingram is stout in pass protection, but not great at the second level. Clearly not someone we would have been interested in during the Kubiak era. Character issues aside, I'm glad we're trying something different.

But we really haven't done anything different, we still have multiple 6's and a 7th.

What would have been different and excited me is if we had Williams plus everyone we drafted and only one or 2 picks today. I wouldn't even care if that was our entire draft and had no picks today.

Just once, I'd like to see a draft where we make multiple trades and all of them are trade ups and end up with 6 or less picks.

Quality over quantity.

Now that would be different. This feels like same ole same old.

We have a lot of holes to fill. Our secondary was easily bottom 5. Booth and Cine seem like quality.

I could see an argument of going Hamilton and then getting Booth at 46 or with a slight trade up.

Then they should have traded Cousins, Smith and Thielen for more picks. And more cap room to sign FA's.

The Wilfs want to make the playoffs, so that nixed a teardown. It was a mixed approach, which might not be optimal, but that was the situation on the ground.
Post #: 1479
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:45:26 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

But we really haven't done anything different, we still have multiple 6's and a 7th.

What would have been different and excited me is if we had Williams plus everyone we drafted and only one or 2 picks today. I wouldn't even care if that was our entire draft and had no picks today.

Just once, I'd like to see a draft where we make multiple trades and all of them are trade ups and end up with 6 or less picks.

Quality over quantity.

I'm not sure if Jameson Williams is a slam dunk.

He was the 4th WR selected and a team(Saints) with a pretty good GM moved up to grab Olave instead of him.

I agree but he has the potential to be the best player in the draft too. He wasn't the only player we passed on, there were 19 others. I think we could have gotten Cine with our 2nd or a player very comparable. Jalne Pitre for example. Or made a small trade up for him.

I don't care what chart you use Kwesi got schooled, big time. No one in Detroit is complaining about the trade?

It feels like we lost a first round pick in this draft.

Yep.

We should have kept 46. Probably just went 12 for 32 and 34.

Can't do that if the other party won't, though; you can't make a deal that's not on the table.
Post #: 1480
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:48:41 AM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

We have a lot of holes to fill. Our secondary was easily bottom 5. Booth and Cine seem like quality.

I could see an argument of going Hamilton and then getting Booth at 46 or with a slight trade up.

Then they should have traded Cousins, Smith and Thielen for more picks. And more cap room to sign FA's.

The Wilfs want to make the playoffs, so that nixed a teardown. It was a mixed approach, which might not be optimal, but that was the situation on the ground.

The owners have become a big part of the problem, imo

They seem to have gone from "hands off" and delegate football stuff to the GM to meddling. I think the Zimmer Spielman non relationship scared them straight and now they are over compensating with this "collaborate with everyone and their brother" which includes non football people.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 1481
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 10:59:49 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

He was the 4th WR selected and a team(Saints) with a pretty good GM moved up to grab Olave instead of him.

I agree but he has the potential to be the best player in the draft too. He wasn't the only player we passed on, there were 19 others. I think we could have gotten Cine with our 2nd or a player very comparable. Jalne Pitre for example. Or made a small trade up for him.

I don't care what chart you use Kwesi got schooled, big time. No one in Detroit is complaining about the trade?

Yep.

Can't do that if the other party won't, though; you can't make a deal that's not on the table.

Detroit's GM pretty well acknowledged that they were surprised at how little Kwesi asked for when the Lions called and they jumped on it. Regardless of what the charts say, KAM could have gotten more.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 4/30/2022 11:00:52 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1482
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:01:37 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our weakest starting links at this point are C and TE ... not that we'll find starter cometition in the fourth ...

would really like to take a stab at TE if Kolar is still there when we pick (maybe Otton, think we met with Bellinger).

dang there's not a lot of options this draft at center (Chasen Hines? Zach Tom?)

OT (Brandel, Udoh) is super thin.

CB Zyon McCollum 6-2 199 4.33 39.5 vert 3.94 20 yd shuttle - ballhawk with great measurables, big time gunner, has safety potential also

WR Shakir (6-0 196 4.43 - Inside gadget type with tremendous intangibles) or Calvin Austin (5-8 170 4.32 39"vert - tiny but fearless, super fast and can elevate / return punts)

I think we have depth at DE / OLB Jones Robinson Willekes Wonnum and DT Tomlinson Phillips Watts so maybe a pure Edge (Todd's Barno) or huge space eating NT (Ridgeway6-5 321, Farrell 6-4 330)

Some good names there. Especially Kolar and the 2 WRs.

There is a Tackle from UND that could be there in 6th or 7th.

A trade up for Winfrey would be nice.

I have my fingers crossed for Austin, and I'd move up for him. PR value plus some degree of dynamism from the slot.

agreed, trade up for him with one/both of our 6th rounders...or somebody specific that kwesi and o'connell are targeting...don't just wait to see what falls to us....

proactive, man - go get him....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1483
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:04:05 AM   
lyle chabot

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

I agree
Post #: 1484
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:10:11 AM   
lyle chabot

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Yep.

Detroit's GM pretty well acknowledged that they were surprised at how little Kwesi asked for when the Lions called and they jumped on it. Regardless of what the charts say, KAM could have gotten more.

Inexperienced GM and got taken advantage of
Post #: 1485
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:13:17 AM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: lyle chabot

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Yep.

No excuse, no armchair GM with any football sense makes that trade, imo

20 spots in the first round, pretty much trading out of the first, for what? A pick swap and 3rd rounder? No thank you.

< Message edited by Murph -- 4/30/2022 11:14:57 AM >

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 1486
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:13:33 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Yep.

Yep. Kwesi's chart may have said that was fair value. It didn’t occur to him to ask for more. And again, it wasn't THAT bad.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1487
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:16:09 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Yep.

Yep. Kwesi's chart may have said that was fair value. It didn’t occur to him to ask for more. And again, it wasn't THAT bad.

To go from 12 to 32.

Should have started a second and a 2023 1st.

Post #: 1488
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:16:25 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

I love the courage to trade with division rivals. It's refreshing. However, I hated the value of the Detroit trade. We fleeced the Pukers.

I don't know if it's courage but it doesn't bother me - Gee, you can't do that? Why? Because we never do that ....

GB most probably would of got their guy one way or another anyway ...

Whatever you call it trading with a division rival is always going to get raised eyebrows or something. I like the way you described it. You made me smile. I'm a bit concerned about Watson, but he could easily end up being Bowfinger 2.0.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1489
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:20:25 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Yep.

That seems extremely likely. I would really love to know who we would have taken if we didn't trade back.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1490
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:26:37 AM   
TJSweens

Daniel Faalele goes to the Ravens. Second Gopher taken. Great value in the 4th.

Post #: 1491
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:29:16 AM   
ratoppenheimer

right here, 113+ is where the vikings could trade up giving one 6th rounder....

Post #: 1492
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:29:28 AM   
Chris Olson

so what are we targeting today?

DL, TE, WR, another CB or another OL?
Post #: 1493
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:31:52 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Yep.

Someone else referenced this. Do you know where I can find the quote from the GM?
Post #: 1494
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:35:49 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

so what are we targeting today?

DL, TE, WR, another CB or another OL?

perfect time to trade up for austin....overall rank #76 - value....

Post #: 1495
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:36:51 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, good point.

Quality over quantity.

Yep.

Big mistake accepting the deal after negotiating but as an initial offer? It's beyond troubling. My niece wouldn't make that offer.

It's also was my biggest fear when hiring a GM with more of a analytical background and little football.

He is staring at a chart and doesn't have a real feel for the situation.

< Message edited by Murph -- 4/30/2022 11:40:25 AM >

Post #: 1496
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:44:28 AM   
Chris Olson

moved up!
Post #: 1497
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:46:54 AM   
TJSweens

Akayleb Evans CB Missouri

Post #: 1498
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:50:24 AM   
Murph

I do like the players we are drafting!

Post #: 1499
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 4/30/2022 11:55:57 AM   
ratoppenheimer

we traded our 5th and what else?....

Post #: 1500
Page:   <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode