Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/20/2023 4:31:30 PM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

What kills me is we have Merry Popkins when James Rowson was available. The Tigers hired him last November.

That's what happens when you have a totally incompetent front ofice.

The same front office that brought us a 101-win season. I guess they forgot to know how to front office. And followed it up with a .600 winning percentage in a COVID-shortened season. THEY JUST FORGOT HOW TO DO IT!

Matt
They had a leader in the name of Nelson Cruz. Correa is very good but he doesn't have the team influence that Nelson had.
Rocco wasn't the manager. Nelson was.

The reason Trump's ass is so large is because all repub senators and representatives heads are up his ass
Post #: 1076
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/20/2023 5:14:28 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

quote:

quote:

What kills me is we have Merry Popkins when James Rowson was available. The Tigers hired him last November.

The same front office that brought us a 101-win season. I guess they forgot to know how to front office. And followed it up with a .600 winning percentage in a COVID-shortened season. THEY JUST FORGOT HOW TO DO IT!

Matt
They had a leader in the name of Nelson Cruz. Correa is very good but he doesn't have the team influence that Nelson had.

I think Nelson was the hitting coach more than the manager.....Rowson has moved around since also.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1077
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/20/2023 6:55:05 PM   
twinsfan

I haven't been impressed with Gallo's defense in the OF this season. He's supposed to be one of the top defensive corner outfielders in baseball. I'm not seeing it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1078
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/20/2023 7:19:23 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

You can't keep batting guys that strikeout a ton at 2-5....bat Gallo or Buck at 1 and drop the other struggling bat at least to 6 or 7. Also bring Wallner back up and send Kepler somewhere.

We'll be the first team in history to have 8 guys batting in the bottom 3rd of the order!
Post #: 1079
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/20/2023 8:41:06 PM   
Mister Ed

KSTP went to Buxton this afternoon to talk about struggles

Still not comfortable as DH
Thinks sitting and not in CF affects him
(gee ya think)

Rocco replies

He is not physically ready to play in the outfield

SMH

These are reasons why this team sucks

Buxton says he hasn't even THROWN a baseball for a while

WTF

Embarrassing.

What was old is new again
Post #: 1080
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/20/2023 8:51:49 PM   
Dana Turner

It sure sucks being a twins fan. Paid $150 bucks so I could watch them this year [Im in Seattle] and it has proved to be a terrible investment. This team is poorly managed and seems to have no sense of game situations. Just last inning, Headrick has the guy on an 1-2 count and groves a bases clearing triple, and that same kind of shit is happening every f!@#kn game. The roster looked at the start of the year, but they are embarrassingly inept at all facets of the game. That is on the manager, I dont care how nice the guy is, he doesn't have this team ready to play each day and that's on him, UGH!!!

Rant over
Post #: 1081
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/20/2023 9:14:39 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

It sure sucks being a twins fan. Paid $150 bucks so I could watch them this year [Im in Seattle] and it has proved to be a terrible investment. This team is poorly managed and seems to have no sense of game situations. Just last inning, Headrick has the guy on an 1-2 count and groves a bases clearing triple, and that same kind of shit is happening every f!@#kn game. The roster looked at the start of the year, but they are embarrassingly inept at all facets of the game. That is on the manager, I dont care how nice the guy is, he doesn't have this team ready to play each day and that's on him, UGH!!!

Rant over

Correct
Too many pitching sequences where they put one on a tee when up in the count

Rocco needs to go
Tingler would take over. Nope, He sucked as time went on in San Diego. No thanks
PopUpKins is worthless. Obvious to everyone but the Twins
Maki? I'd toss his ass too

These are the same group of "coaches" that didn't improve anyone last year and are failing again

That's also obvious to everyone but the front office. They need to go as well. A couple of division flags in 7 years . Wheeee

What was old is new again
Post #: 1082
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/20/2023 9:22:35 PM   
David Levine

I've said it before, but its the 'curse' of Eloise Pohlad.

The heart and soul of this franchise died with her, and we won't recover until the team is sold.
Post #: 1083
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/20/2023 9:46:09 PM   
twinsfan

Rocco after-game presser is good. He is angry!!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1084
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 6:58:24 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Matt

I think Nelson was the hitting coach more than the manager.....Rowson has moved around since also.

Not exactly a journeyman. Rowson left to be Miami's bench coach after the 2019 season. He was there through last season and was out when the Marlins didn't bring Mattingly back to manage. He took the Tigers assistant hitting coach job in November.

I'd bring him back here to be hitting coach in a heartbeat.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1085
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 7:30:02 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

KSTP went to Buxton this afternoon to talk about struggles

Still not comfortable as DH
Thinks sitting and not in CF affects him
(gee ya think)

Rocco replies

He is not physically ready to play in the outfield

SMH

These are reasons why this team sucks

Buxton says he hasn't even THROWN a baseball for a while

WTF

Embarrassing.

Stupid all or nothing mentality. Rocco maintains that Buxton's legs won't hold up if they return him to CF. I agree with that part. Make him the every day CF and he will go back to being a 90 game a season player. The problem is that DH'ing Buck full time limits his opportunities to impact the game and hurts his production. He plays more games and has less impact.

How about rotating him into LF 2 to 3 times a week? A corner slot gives him less ground to cover and greatly reduces his chances of hitting a wall at full speed. Especially with Taylor next to him in CF. Here is a thoughtdump Kepler and bring up Wallner. Let Buck, Wallner and Larnach cycle between DH and corner OF spots with Gallo.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1086
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 7:57:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Matt

Not exactly a journeyman. Rowson left to be Miami's bench coach after the 2019 season. He was there through last season and was out when the Marlins didn't bring Mattingly back to manage. He took the Tigers assistant hitting coach job in November.

I'd bring him back here to be hitting coach in a heartbeat.

I don't disagree (about taking him back) but I think Cruz would be my ideal Hitting Coach. Now if they are trying to pay a hitting and pitching coach less than what they make as a college pitching coach; we know what the true problem is.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1087
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 9:27:53 AM   
TJSweens

Cruz is still playing.

Post #: 1088
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 10:00:35 AM   
Trekgeekscott

Fifth Inning, lead off double, runner in scoring position nobody out. next guy grounds out...this does have the positive effect of moving the runner to 3rd. Now we have a guy 90 ft away and only one out. a fly ball scores a run. a flair, a doink, a passed ball, a balk,

What do we get.

Strike out
Strike out

Sure glad we're paying Correa all that money.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1089
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 3:17:22 PM   
twinsfan

Kenny Rosenthal had an article on the Twins today in The Athletic.

In discussions of this season’s most disappointing clubs, the Mets, Padres and Cardinals all receive prominent mention. The Mariners also merit inclusion. The White Sox, of course.

Uh, and don’t forget the Twins.

Yes, the Twins “lead” the AL Central, but they are two games under .500 for the first time since the end of the 2022 season. The Guardians trail them by only one game, the Tigers four, the White Sox 4 1/2.

It’s all rather disheartening for the Twins, considering they rank fourth in the majors in rotation ERA and 10th in bullpen ERA. And it’s certainly fair to ask whether a shakeup of some kind is in order.

The problem is determining who is most to blame.

Chief baseball officer Derek Falvey assembled a $153.7 million Opening Day payroll, the highest in club history but only the 17th highest in the majors. He got the pitching right. The hitting is a major disappointment.

Manager Rocco Baldelli is under contract through at least 2025, but presides over a team with a laid-back culture and seeming lack of urgency. Hitting coach David Popkins is a favorite of shortstop Carlos Correa’s, but the Twins’ strikeout rate is the highest in the majors and the team ranks 20th in runs per game.

One way to snap the club to attention without disrupting the leadership would be to part with struggling right fielder Max Kepler, who is batting .192 with a .650 OPS and earning $8.5 million in the final guaranteed year of his contract. The Twins, though, continue to believe Kepler has upside, even though he is now 30.

Finally, let’s not overlook the Twins’ stars, who almost certainly must produce for the team to win. Byron Buxton is a full-time DH batting .209 with a .741 OPS, with Baldelli continuing to say he is not healthy enough to play center field. Correa has been hot of late and is still only batting .219 with a .710 OPS.

Even the Twins’ pitching is starting to falter, perhaps in part because the club’s margin for error is so thin. The team ERA was 3.48 in March-April and 3.45 in May. In June, it’s 4.70.

As I wrote last month in a column about managers’ statuses, one rival executive, granted anonymity so he could speak freely, said his club’s preseason projections had the Twins as the team with the easiest path to a division title.

That still might be the case, given the pathetic state of the AL Central. The Guardians took a hit Tuesday when right-hander Triston McKenzie went on the injured list with a UCL sprain, an issue that figures to keep him out at least a month. But at some point, the Twins need to play better. Or else start confronting the hard questions that grow more pointed each day.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1090
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 3:18:31 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

I don't understand why a journalist would put the word "lead" in quotes. They do lead the division. The quotes make no sense in that context.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1091
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 5:17:48 PM   
David Levine

quote:

The Twins, though, continue to believe Kepler has upside, even though he is now 30.
Post #: 1092
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 5:39:25 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

The Twins, though, continue to believe Kepler has upside, even though he is now 30.

There is no unrealized upside. Kepler has been downhill ever since they put seams back on the baseball after 2019.

Post #: 1093
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 7:44:29 PM   
TJSweens

I'm watching the Boston broadcast. All I can say is...Dick Bremer, I was wrong. You're a phenomenal broadcaster. I never realized how great Bert Blyleven was at color commentary.

Post #: 1094
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 7:52:48 PM   
TJSweens

Rockhead and Galloot both get tossed for arguing a strike 3 call THAT WAS A STRIKE.

Post #: 1095
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 8:03:34 PM   
TJSweens

Gray just can't stand to have the lead tonight.

Post #: 1096
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 8:10:07 PM  1 votes
MDK

quote:

I don't understand why a journalist would put the word "lead" in quotes. They do lead the division. The quotes make no sense in that context.

Seriously
You don't get the sarcasm?
They are 2 games below 500 and "lead" their division.
Twins are a joke in an even more of a joke division.
Pohlads: sell the damn team.

The reason Trump's ass is so large is because all repub senators and representatives heads are up his ass
Post #: 1097
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 8:36:11 PM   
TJSweens

The guy doing color for the Sux is some guy named Bill Burr. He's supposedly a stand up comic. The guy is trying desperately hard to be funny and just failing miserably.

Post #: 1098
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 9:01:21 PM   
David Levine

quote:

The guy doing color for the Sux is some guy named Bill Burr. He's supposedly a stand up comic. The guy is trying desperately hard to be funny and just failing miserably.

Interesting. He's an extremely well respected comedian and actor.
Post #: 1099
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/21/2023 9:44:21 PM   
twinsfan

Umps tried to take it from us. But we overcame! So ridiculous that Taylor was called out at 1B and "confirmed" on replay. He was clearly safe. I mean, not even close.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1100
Page:   <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode