Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/18/2023 7:41:46 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

Pagan gets 4 outs and Duran saves a third straight day. Kirilloff big day.
Buxton hitting under .150 vs lefties for the season, now under .200 for the year. .160 each of the last 2 months
Mercy IL him. He is not helping

at all

Could not agree more on Buxton.

We aren't paying this guy to flail away helplessly as the DH.

We need to get him fully healthy (if that's even possible) and get him ready to play CF every game in 2024.

We need to get him away from Poppykins....Enough of this try to hit everything from here to Canada.

If he's not healthy enough to throw a baseball, or play in CF and he's not contributing in a positive way at the plate other than the occasional ding dong, he shouldn't be playing at all. Right now he's basically Sano. and that is not good,

Time for a rest. and don't let him back until he can play CF everyday.

They should have cut bait on Buxton three years ago.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1401
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/18/2023 8:01:15 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

Guardians: thank God for Buxton.

What a mess.

I held out longer than most from complaining about Buxton DHing/not playing CF. As the season wore on and it became apparent he wasn’t going to ever play in the field, I said “Okay this is where we’re at. So be it”. If he could still be productive at the plate he’d still be useful, though his value would be decreased.

But his lack of production, combined with insistence on DHing him and batting him 3rd is causing a destructive domino effect to the lineup. The DH position and the #3 position could be put to so much better use.

The announcers on FS1 last night were spot on. After swinging through a fat flat fastball, they noted if Buxton is healthy, he puts that in the 3rd deck.

I tend to agree. He’s still not right physically. Yes he’s always been streaky, but this is something more. I don’t know what the answer is, but trotting him out there every day and hoping for miracles isn’t it.
Post #: 1402
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/18/2023 8:07:32 AM   
TJSweens

The starting rotation has been awful coming out of the break. Hopefully Ober can get them back on track. If the starters fade, it's going to be long second half.

Buck, now has an OPS below .700. Either he has an injury being kept secret or he simply can't adjust to being a DH. Last night Julien and Kirilloff were a combined 5 for 9 with a walk and a strike out. Correa and Buxton were a combined 1 for 9 with a walk and 6 strike outs. THAT is the problem with this lineup.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1403
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/18/2023 8:22:31 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The starting rotation has been awful coming out of the break. Hopefully Ober can get them back on track. If the starters fade, it's going to be long second half.

Buck, now has an OPS below .700. Either he has an injury being kept secret or he simply can't adjust to being a DH. Last night Julien and Kirilloff were a combined 5 for 9 with a walk and a strike out. Correa and Buxton were a combined 1 for 9 with a walk and 6 strike outs. THAT is the problem with this lineup.

Or he's on the wrong side of 27, which is the peak age for a professional baseball player.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1404
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/18/2023 8:36:30 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Or he's on the wrong side of 27, which is the peak age for a professional baseball player.

Tell that to Nelson Cruz. He wasn't even a full time player until 28.
Post #: 1405
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/18/2023 8:42:15 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

Guardians: thank God for Buxton.

What a mess.

I held out longer than most from complaining about Buxton DHing/not playing CF. As the season wore on and it became apparent he wasn’t going to ever play in the field, I said “Okay this is where we’re at. So be it”. If he could still be productive at the plate he’d still be useful, though his value would be decreased.

But his lack of production, combined with insistence on DHing him and batting him 3rd is causing a destructive domino effect to the lineup. The DH position and the #3 position could be put to so much better use.

The announcers on FS1 last night were spot on. After swinging through a fat flat fastball, they noted if Buxton is healthy, he puts that in the 3rd deck.

I tend to agree. He’s still not right physically. Yes he’s always been streaky, but this is something more. I don’t know what the answer is, but trotting him out there every day and hoping for miracles isn’t it.

Buxton and Kepler went to shit following the 2019 season when they found out if they swung out of their shoes on every pitch they could make more money.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1406
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/18/2023 10:14:34 AM   
ronhextall

Buxton probably needs to be a platoon DH, that's fine for big money teams, that's a disaster for the Twins.
Post #: 1407
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/18/2023 10:16:14 AM   
twinsfan

Happy birthday Phil!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1408
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/18/2023 10:37:40 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Buxton probably needs to be a platoon DH, that's fine for big money teams, that's a disaster for the Twins.

Buxton's splits against LHP are even worse than they are against RHP.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1409
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/18/2023 2:56:15 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Happy birthday Phil!

Thanks Matt.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1410
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/18/2023 6:46:44 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Buxton's splits against LHP are even worse than they are against RHP.

Sitting tonight, after 1-31 skid since 3 hit 4th of July game.

What was old is new again
Post #: 1411
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/19/2023 8:37:22 AM   
TJSweens

It looked like Ober was going to continue the rotations string of poor starts. He held the Mariners to 3 runs in the first thanks to a couple of put outs at the plate. Many Acta was doing his best Tommy Watkins imitation, sending runners to an untimely demise. After that Ober settled in and registered a quality start.

The Julien/Kirilloff combo went 6 for 9 with a walk, 6 runs scored and 3 rbi.

Correa's and Kepler's numbers are slowly trending up.

Post #: 1412
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/19/2023 9:51:06 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

It looked like Ober was going to continue the rotations string of poor starts. He held the Mariners to 3 runs in the first thanks to a couple of put outs at the plate. Many Acta was doing his best Tommy Watkins imitation, sending runners to an untimely demise. After that Ober settled in and registered a quality start.

Julien was 3 for 5 with a home run and 3 runs scored, and Rocco PINCH HIT FOR HIM. Even better, the Pinch hitter STRUCK OUT IIRC

a left handed batter cannot get better at hitting lefthanders if he never gets to hit against lefthanders.

Julien is good enough as a hitter that he can probably get pretty good at hitting lefthanders if given the chance.

I have a friend that is relentlessly defending Pagan....and he pitched a good inning...but I had to point out that Pagan is fine if there is no pressure. He had a five run lead. No pressure really. One run lead? He probably gives up three runs.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1413
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/19/2023 1:08:08 PM   
MDK

quote:

quote:

Julien was 3 for 5 with a home run and 3 runs scored, and Rocco PINCH HIT FOR HIM. Even better, the Pinch hitter STRUCK OUT IIRC

a left handed batter cannot get better at hitting lefthanders if he never gets to hit against lefthanders.

Julien is good enough as a hitter that he can probably get pretty good at hitting lefthanders if given the chance.

I have a friend that is relentlessly defending Pagan....and he pitched a good inning...but I had to point out that Pagan is fine if there is no pressure. He had a five run lead. No pressure really. One run lead? He probably gives up three runs.

Is your friend Falvey, Levine or Rocco?

The reason Trump's ass is so large is because all repub senators and representatives heads are up his ass
Post #: 1414
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/19/2023 2:18:14 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, but he believes he is God's gift of baseball knowledge to the Earth.

It's quite annoying at times.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1415
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/19/2023 3:08:29 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It isn't only that; the kid has hit against Lefties just like Kiriloff....almost like Rocco prefers Strikeouts to making contact. I know Julien's defense isn't great but that can be worked on also (by playing him).

Julien, Wallner, Lewis, and Kirilloff should play almost every day.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 7/19/2023 3:34:24 PM >

Post #: 1416
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/19/2023 4:44:07 PM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It isn't only that; the kid has hit against Lefties just like Kiriloff....almost like Rocco prefers Strikeouts to making contact. I know Julien's defense isn't great but that can be worked on also (by playing him).

Julien, Wallner, Lewis, and Kirilloff should play almost every day.

YES

The reason Trump's ass is so large is because all repub senators and representatives heads are up his ass
Post #: 1417
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/19/2023 9:17:38 PM   
twinsfan

What a freaking diving catch by Correa! That is something that goes unappreciated. Honestly believe nobody else in baseball makes that play. It was amazing!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1418
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/19/2023 10:08:19 PM   
twinsfan

If playoffs started today...who are your 3 starters? I go Pablo, Ober, Gray, in that order. Joe Ryan has just been too bleh the last month compared to those guys.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1419
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/19/2023 10:40:42 PM   
twinsfan

Reason number 4,000 that Wins are a meaningless stat in baseball. Even I have to tell myself it's a terrible and unfair way to judge a pitcher.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1420
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/20/2023 7:24:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

If playoffs started today...who are your 3 starters? I go Pablo, Ober, Gray, in that order. Joe Ryan has just been too bleh the last month compared to those guys.

I would worry about getting a bat or 2 first and hope you make the playoffs. If they really are serious they would grab Goldy and maybe Pham; move Kirilloff to Left or Right and get Buck in CF.

Julien/Polanco 2B
Goldy 1B
Kirilloff RF
Pham DH
Correa SS
Lewis 3B
Buck CF
Gallo LF
Vazquez/Jeffers C

Post #: 1421
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/20/2023 7:49:00 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

In a playoff series, most teams go with 4 starters. The days of Tom Kelly arranging it so that Viola and Blyleven start 5 of 7 games are long gone.

Post #: 1422
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/20/2023 7:59:40 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

In a playoff series, most teams go with 4 starters. The days of Tom Kelly arranging it so that Viola and Blyleven start 5 of 7 games are long gone.

I think we are in pretty good shape with our 5. Get Thielbar and Stewart healthy and we are pretty close on the pitching side.

Post #: 1423
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/20/2023 9:58:09 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

And in TK’s day, the top two or three were head and shoulders better than the rest so he had no choice anyway. Look at the ‘87 roster. #3 starter was Les Straker, and after that it was pretty much get someone off the street.

Now you’ve got 5 who are ok’ish to pretty good at times. So no need to pick out 3 of them.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 7/20/2023 10:01:20 AM >
Post #: 1424
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/20/2023 10:48:49 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Rocco's head would explode at the very idea.
Post #: 1425
Page:   <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode