Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/23/2023 11:58:48 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Not a surprise that they are taking their time with Kirilloff. Falvey said earlier this month that the surgery had to work because there is nothing else to try. He basically implied that if this didn't work, it's the end of the line for Kirilloff.

So in a few weeks the career is over.

Glad they had a back up plan.

And as for Raley

I'd rather they had taken him back to hit at AAA instead of some failed Brewers guy who looks like a beer leaguer and hits less than his weight. Embarrassing that he and Sabato are about all the depth they have.

Wouldn't be surprised. In my pessimistic view, that is the more probable scenario.

I agree on Arraez. If the great Falvine analytics driven approach to drafting and developing pitching was even half assed decent that trade is unnecessary. Our entire rotation and best bullpen arms have come from outside the organization.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 3/23/2023 12:00:44 PM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 151
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/24/2023 5:18:23 PM   
Mister Ed

Beat Yankees 6-4
Took Julien and uber OF prospect to homer to win it late

Maeda deceptive numbers
5IP 3H/2R/3BB/5K
in his first inning vs NYY regulars 3H/2R/2BB

Pablo started went 3 and gave up a 2 run HR

What was old is new again
Post #: 152
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/24/2023 8:17:33 PM   
TJSweens

Looks like Pablo is going to be the opening day starter.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 153
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/25/2023 10:31:49 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Good choice. He was the NL pitcher of the month for April last year so there’s history of starting the season well.
Post #: 154
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/26/2023 7:52:08 PM   
TJSweens

TWINS
Sonny Gray disapproved of Twins' 2022 rotation plan
Newly acquired Twins pitcher Sonny Gray spoke with pitching coach Wes Johnson, left, during Tuesday’s workout.Newly acquired Twins pitcher Sonny Gray spoke with pitching coach Wes Johnson, left, during Tuesday’s workout.
— Jeff Wheeler, Star Tribune

Listen

By PHIL MILLER , STAR TRIBUNE
March 26, 2023 - 5:50 PM

FORT MYERS, FLA. – Sonny Gray pitched three hitless innings to help beat Boston on Sunday, then all but vowed it would be the last time this year that he does that.

Not the hitless part. The knock-off-early part.

"I don't think we're interested in going four innings and being happy. I feel like we had a group last year that was pretty content with going four innings, [where] four innings and five innings is considered a good start," Gray said of the Twins' 2022 rotation, which had 110 starts that lasted five innings or fewer, more than any other MLB team. "I disagreed with that then. I disagree with that now, but I feel like just the guys we have aren't content with it either, which is what you want as a rotation."

Gray himself threw a pitch in the sixth inning or later in only nine of his 24 starts last season, after the shortened spring training gave him too little time to prepare for the season. That's completely different this year, Gray said, and he's ready to shoulder a more normal burden.

"My stuff is good. Filling up the zone with all pitches is important, just filling up the zone and attacking guys," Gray said after striking out four Boston hitters and finishing spring training with a 1.86 ERA in four starts. "I feel like my put-away pitches, my two-strike pitches, are in a much better spot than they have been in a couple years."

Souhan: Minnesota sports power trio now, but back then just three guys with big ideas
He's eager to see what the rest of the rotation can do, too.

"The potential is — obviously, you can see it. We'll see how it all shakes out. I do know that everybody wants it, especially after last year," Gray said. "You want to build off each other. You don't want to go out there and throw four innings and walk away happy about it."

Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said he liked Gray's spirit, his eagerness to pitch well, though "it's my job to decide when they pitch, how long they pitch and how we win the games." Still, the manager said, "Sonny is a tremendous competitor and I want our guys to always want to be out there and get the next out."

Post #: 155
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/26/2023 10:01:20 PM   
Steve Lentz

Who didn't expect Kirilloff to be a huge question mark. Serious wrist injury and I was hearing he would replace Arraez at 1st?

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 156
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/27/2023 5:35:23 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said he liked Gray's spirit, his eagerness to pitch well, though "it's my job to decide when they pitch, how long they pitch and how we win the games." Still, the manager said, "Sonny is a tremendous competitor and I want our guys to always want to be out there and get the next out."

Rocco

You really sucked at all of that last year.

Post #: 157
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/27/2023 8:15:23 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Rocco

You really sucked at all of that last year.

That was the buzz kill of article. Rocco is the gate keeper to pitching more innings. Gray has the other starters raising expectations for innings pitched. He and his bad influence will have to be dealt.

Post #: 158
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/27/2023 8:19:32 AM   
TJSweens

It doesn't dawn on Rocco that coddling the shit out of his starters doesn't work. They still get injured.

Post #: 159
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/27/2023 9:40:32 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

TWINS
Newly acquired Twins pitcher Sonny Gray spoke with pitching coach Wes Johnson, left, during Tuesday’s workout.Newly acquired Twins pitcher Sonny Gray spoke with pitching coach Wes Johnson, left, during Tuesday’s workout.

Listen

FORT MYERS, FLA. – Sonny Gray pitched three hitless innings to help beat Boston on Sunday, then all but vowed it would be the last time this year that he does that.

"I don't think we're interested in going four innings and being happy. I feel like we had a group last year that was pretty content with going four innings, [where] four innings and five innings is considered a good start," Gray said of the Twins' 2022 rotation, which had 110 starts that lasted five innings or fewer, more than any other MLB team. "I disagreed with that then. I disagree with that now, but I feel like just the guys we have aren't content with it either, which is what you want as a rotation."

Gray himself threw a pitch in the sixth inning or later in only nine of his 24 starts last season, after the shortened spring training gave him too little time to prepare for the season. That's completely different this year, Gray said, and he's ready to shoulder a more normal burden.

"My stuff is good. Filling up the zone with all pitches is important, just filling up the zone and attacking guys," Gray said after striking out four Boston hitters and finishing spring training with a 1.86 ERA in four starts. "I feel like my put-away pitches, my two-strike pitches, are in a much better spot than they have been in a couple years."

Souhan: Minnesota sports power trio now, but back then just three guys with big ideas

"The potential is — obviously, you can see it. We'll see how it all shakes out. I do know that everybody wants it, especially after last year," Gray said. "You want to build off each other. You don't want to go out there and throw four innings and walk away happy about it."

I think it's great that the 4-inning wonders, Archer and Bundy, have been shown the door. We're gonna see guys pitch into the 7th much more often this year.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 160
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/27/2023 10:53:16 AM   
MDK

Rocco treats all his players as fragile entities like Rocco was

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 161
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/27/2023 12:21:42 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

TWINS

Listen

I think it's great that the 4-inning wonders, Archer and Bundy, have been shown the door. We're gonna see guys pitch into the 7th much more often this year.

If we don't, Gray, Mahle, will not come back. Free agents will not want to come here as long as Rocco is here and Lopez will probably want to be traded.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 162
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/28/2023 8:04:26 AM   
bstinger

Good for Sonny to speak up. I hope Rockhead can loosen the reins.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 163
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/28/2023 3:49:45 PM   
Karl Juhnke

I don't expect much will change. Yes the 4 inning wonder Archer is gone. But I bet Rocco still will not give starters much leeway to pitch longer. After 80 pitches or so he'll get yanked regardless of score or how he's doing.
Post #: 164
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/28/2023 4:01:47 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke
I don't expect much will change. Yes the 4 inning wonder Archer is gone. But I bet Rocco still will not give starters much leeway to pitch longer. After 80 pitches or so he'll get yanked regardless of score or how he's doing.

I can see what Archer and Bundy can do to a manager....Sonny also admitted earlier he wasn't ready for the 2022 season. The Players Association said they would have time to get ready and they ended up with a week.

So you add those up and it makes sense why Rocco pulled 3 pitchers early.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 165
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/28/2023 7:07:51 PM  1 votes
Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

I can see what Archer and Bundy can do to a manager....Sonny also admitted earlier he wasn't ready for the 2022 season. The Players Association said they would have time to get ready and they ended up with a week.

3?!?!?

THREE??

until late in the season it was EVERYONE almost every game

He got his panties in a knot over being questioned. YOU SUCKED LAST YEAR AT MANAGING!!!

Post #: 166
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/28/2023 10:02:11 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

3?!?!?

THREE??

He got his panties in a knot over being questioned. YOU SUCKED LAST YEAR AT MANAGING!!!

Even Gray and Ryan were getting pulled after 5 innings when they were cruising. All the while Rocco was whining about how overworked the bullpen was.

Post #: 167
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/29/2023 6:52:23 AM   
Boyd Tesch

Happ day before opening day. A friend of mine in SD wrote this.

https://www.siouxfallslive.com/news/sioux-falls/zimmer-twins-have-what-it-takes-to-contend-in-2023
Post #: 168
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/29/2023 7:43:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

3?!?!?

THREE??

As bad as the short starts the worst was throwing Pagan/Duffey out there....Hopefully Moran and Alcala shove Pagan to a short start middle innings role.

Post #: 169
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/30/2023 11:09:42 AM   
Trekgeekscott

Opening day is finally here.

And the conversation in here is ... nonexistant.

I'm sure it will pick up later though.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 170
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/30/2023 11:12:13 AM   
Trekgeekscott

Today's lineup

Kepler RF
Correa SS
Buxton DH
Larnach LF
Miranda 3B
Gordon 2B
Gallo 1B
Vasquez C
Taylor CF

SP Pablo Lopez.

I can't dislike the lineup...except for coddling Buxton.

Post #: 171
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/30/2023 11:31:10 AM   
twinsfan

We need to make predictions today.

I'll say 84 wins.

RP pick to click, other than Duran, is Jax.

SP Pablo Lopez. Looking forward to watching a right-handed changeup that's on par with or better than Brad Radke's. Being from Venezuela, he also has a little Johan in him.

Gallo, Miranda and Correa should all have good years. I like Gallo's on-base ability and patience, even if it results in lots of strikeouts. Hope he doesn't get stuck playing 1B very often, because he's a great corner outfielder. Nice to have some depth there with Larnach and Kepler too, for when one of them gets injured.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 172
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/30/2023 11:38:31 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

We need to make predictions today.

I'll say 84 wins.

RP pick to click, other than Duran, is Jax.

SP Pablo Lopez. Looking forward to watching a right-handed changeup that's on par with or better than Brad Radke's. Being from Venezuela, he also has a little Johan in him.

Gallo, Miranda and Correa should all have good years. I like Gallo's on-base ability and patience, even if it results in lots of strikeouts. Hope he doesn't get stuck playing 1B very often, because he's a great corner outfielder. Nice to have some depth there with Larnach and Kepler too, for when one of them gets injured.

96 wins

Pick to click RP Alcala. Glad to have him back

Pick to suck RP. Pagan. I still cannot understand what person evaluating this guy sees and what value they think he brings to a bullpen. Pagan will cost us games again this year. Games we should easily have won

Could see more of Wallner, Lee, Lewis, Julien this year too. and some of the young pithers at AAA.

Barring injury and standard Rocco idiocy this team will be a force to reckon with.

Not spectacular but solid rotation. Potent lineup with young potential throughout and with depth, Bullpen is going to be great any day that Pagan doesn't pitch.

I am excited for the moment.

My biggest fears are Rocco pissing off his rotation guys and wearing out his bullpen, and injuries.

My hope is for better health this year and Rocco learning from his mistakes.

Post #: 173
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/30/2023 11:48:06 AM   
Phil Riewer

I am at about 89 wins.
Cleveland, CSW, and Detroit have improved and we play them less.

Way more depth and Pitching. Fear is Buck is full time DH, Polanco can't get healthy, and Kepler/Gallo can't forget poor seasons.

Post #: 174
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 3/30/2023 11:50:37 AM   
twinsfan

CSW improved by letting Jose Abreu go to the Astros?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode