Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/2/2023 8:36:34 PM   
MDK

Pagan in mid-season form.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 201
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 7:37:47 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Buxton damn near tripped on his helmet when it fell off rounding 2nd. That would have been disastrous.

What's the over/under before he is hurt? I set it at 27 games.

It almost was game 3 on Buck's slide into 2nd. He decided to slide chin first.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 202
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 7:51:46 AM   
bstinger

Good start, but it is the Royals.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 203
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 7:58:40 AM   
TJSweens

Yesterday's stars:

Honorable mention: Byron Buxton 2 hits and Ryan Jeffers 2 hits and 2 rbi

*** Trevor Larnach: 3 hits and a walk, 1 run, 1 rbi
** Joe Ryan: 6 IP, 1ER, 6K
* Joey Gallo (not Callo): 3H, 1BB, 1dbl, 2 HR, 3R, 4 rbi

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 204
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 8:06:23 AM   
Brad H

Luis Arraez 9-for-16 (.563) with a .588 on-base percentage so far. Twins leadoff.....0-for-13.

I'm loving the fact that the Twins are 3-0. It's the Royals, but 3-0 is 3-0.

However, they are going to need someone in that leadoff spot at some point that can make contact and get on base. Kepler is not that guy.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/3/2023 8:08:01 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 205
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 8:16:24 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Luis Arraez 9-for-16 (.563) with a .588 on-base percentage so far. Twins leadoff.....0-for-13.

However, they are going to need someone in that leadoff spot at some point that can make contact and get on base. Kepler is not that guy.

I had never seen Pablo Lopez pitch before. Nasty stuff,

This could be a win win situation for both teams and eventually leaning Twins way if prospects pan out.
Post #: 206
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 8:21:58 AM  2 votes
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

This could be a win win situation for both teams and eventually leaning Twins way if prospects pan out.

Pablo Lopez is 29-31 lifetime. I'd love to see him suddenly become Justin Verlander, but I'm not holding my breath.

My personal belief is that neither will have a significant impact, because neither is surrounded by a great supporting cast. Lopez will have days when he looks great and takes a 2-1 loss because the lineup is filled with .220 hitters. Arraez has already had a great week and his team is 1-3. Nobody around him.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/3/2023 8:23:17 AM >

Post #: 207
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 8:26:43 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pablo Lopez is 29-31 lifetime. I'd love to see him suddenly become Justin Verlander, but I'm not holding my breath.

My personal belief is that neither will have a significant impact, because neither is surrounded by a great supporting cast. Lopez will have days when he looks great and takes a 2-1 loss because the lineup is filled with .220 hitters. Arraez has already had a great week and his team is 1-3. Nobody around him.

So you are admitting that Lopez had no run support in Miami.
Post #: 208
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 8:28:20 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/3/2023 8:30:06 AM >

Post #: 209
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 9:20:18 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

It was an outlier last year....tons of injuries....keep Buck, Larnach, and Gallo healthy and they will score enough runs plus a full year from Miranda. We get it that you love Arraez....

Good thing Pablo isn't Verlander now....he is out at least 2-3 weeks.

Post #: 210
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 9:24:25 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

It was an outlier last year....tons of injuries....keep Buck, Larnach, and Gallo healthy and they will score enough runs plus a full year from Miranda. We get it that you love Arraez....

Probably got hurt carrying around his three Cy Young Awards.

Post #: 211
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 9:27:10 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I love watching Scherzer, Kershaw, and Verlander pitch....just like when Maddox was at the end of his career. Just great pitchers when their stuff is down a tick.

If you watched Pablo he has the best starter stuff on staff (Duran is of course out of this world); Joe Ryan 2nd....our best version of Maddox is Sonny.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/3/2023 9:28:27 AM >

Post #: 212
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 9:36:34 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I love watching Scherzer, Kershaw, and Verlander pitch....just like when Maddox was at the end of his career. Just great pitchers when their stuff is down a tick.

If you watched Pablo he has the best starter stuff on staff (Duran is of course out of this world); Joe Ryan 2nd....our best version of Maddox is Sonny.

Honestly, I love following the Twins and have for 50+ years. But the new rules in baseball...........not good. I'm a baseball purist. Hate the new rules. The game is not the same as it was even 5-7 years ago. Outside of watching the Twins, I would never watch a game.

I'm a big fan of small ball and West Coast baseball. I went to two games last season, watched a ton of Twins games, and it was some of the worst baseball I have ever seen. The extra inning rule, 100% ridiculous. No shift rule, 100% ridiculous. Pitch clock, 90% ridiculous.

It's like the league rules committee got together and said; "what can we do to piss off the baseball purists?" Record books be damned.

IMO, when you change fundamental rules, it ceases to be the same sport. Call it something else. It isn't baseball any more. I know that makes me sound ancient, but I don't care. I've got better things to do with my time than watch a daily edition of home run derby.

Exit velocity? I could give a shit. OPS? I could give a damned. If you can't steal a base, get down a bunt, move a runner over or go with the pitch the other way, you aren't a good offensive player.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/3/2023 9:47:07 AM >

Post #: 213
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 9:40:45 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kind of blew a hole in the old judge him by W/L's argument didn't he.

--twinsfan
Post #: 214
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 9:46:34 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Honestly, I love following the Twins and have to 50+ years. But the new rules in baseball...........not good. I'm a baseball purist. Hate the new rules. The game is not the same as it was even 5-7 years ago. Outside of watching the Twins, I would never watch a game.

I'm a big fan of small ball and West Coast baseball. I went to two games last season, watched a ton of Twins games, and it was some of the worst baseball I have ever seen. The extra inning rule, 100% ridiculous. No shift rule, 100% ridiculous. Pitch clock, 90% ridiculous.

It's like the league rules committee got together and said; "what can we do to piss off the baseball purists?" Record books be damned.

IMO, when you change fundamental rules, it ceases to be the same sport. Call it something else. It isn't baseball any more. I know that makes me sound ancient, but I don't care. I've got better things to do with my time than watch a daily edition of home run derby.

Exit velocity? I could give a shit. OPS? I could give a damned.

The game had become all HR or SO.

I think the early returns are that you could see more small ball, hit and run, singles through the infield that the shift used to eat up. The clock is a little more rigid than I'd like, but I do appreciate a 2.5 hr game more than a 3.5+ hr game.

Agree that the extra innings rule is ridiculous.

--twinsfan
Post #: 215
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 9:47:42 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Honestly, I love following the Twins and have to 50+ years. But the new rules in baseball...........not good. I'm a baseball purist. Hate the new rules. The game is not the same as it was even 5-7 years ago. Outside of watching the Twins, I would never watch a game.

Exit velocity? I could give a shit. OPS? I could give a damned.

Extra Inning rule is ridiculous.

Other changes are a plus. I don't want to see a rope hit into right field caught by the 2nd baseman. And I don't want to see pitchers and hitters take a minute or more in between pitches.
Post #: 216
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 9:50:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Honestly, I love following the Twins and have for 50+ years. But the new rules in baseball...........not good. I'm a baseball purist. Hate the new rules. The game is not the same as it was even 5-7 years ago. Outside of watching the Twins, I would never watch a game.

Exit velocity? I could give a shit. OPS? I could give a damned. If you can't steal a base, get down a bunt, move a runner over or go with the pitch the other way, you aren't a good offensive player.

2-3 teams exploited the rules and forced everyone to make changes. No more stealing signs....the best thing is that games aren't 4 hours.
Basketball and Football went to a play clock and have changed it and it didn't ruin the game.

Shifts overtook the game the last 3 years so they fixed it....if you are a purist you should like that change. It is more of the overshift of the infield....the outfield can shift any way they want.

I think they made the bases bigger because of injuries around the bases (Mostly 1st base and 2nd base.)

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/3/2023 9:57:48 AM >

Post #: 217
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 10:07:54 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

2-3 teams exploited the rules and forced everyone to make changes. No more stealing signs....the best thing is that games aren't 4 hours.
Basketball and Football went to a play clock and have changed it and it didn't ruin the game.

Shifts overtook the game the last 3 years so they fixed it....if you are a purist you should like that change. It is more of the overshift of the infield....the outfield can shift any way they want.

I think they made the bases bigger because of injuries around the bases (Mostly 1st base and 2nd base.)

I've got a perfect way to beat a shift. Have batter that can hit the other way. That's the way it was done for 120 years. The shift isn't new. It's been around for ever.

Post #: 218
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 10:14:49 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've got a perfect way to beat a shift. Have batter that can hit the other way. That's the way it was done for 120 years. The shift isn't new. It's been around for ever.

Does 87 team win WS if there would have been shifts? Mostly pull hitters while the Cardinals had the hit it where it is pitched team.
Post #: 219
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 10:34:15 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tom Kelly believed in hitting the ball the other way. Pulling everything will cause two things. One over shifts and they will pitch you outside Trying to pull that you will likely ground out weakly.

I am certain he's been watching at home calmly telling the TV to hit the ball the other way. If they are going to give you that much space...USE IT.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 220
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 10:43:09 AM   
TJSweens

Kelly advocated hitting mechanics and driving the ball where it is pitched. He was all about barreling the ball. I think the greatest indictment of modern hitters is that the league had to implement a rule forbidding shifts.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 221
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 10:51:29 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does 87 team win WS if there would have been shifts? Mostly pull hitters while the Cardinals had the hit it where it is pitched team.

The 87 team was mostly a gap to gap hitting team.

Post #: 222
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 12:02:55 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The 87 team was mostly a gap to gap hitting team.

Yeah. You're right. Gladden, Kirby, Gaetti and Bruno could go other way.

I could see Kelly and Herzog being too stubborn to use the shifts.
Post #: 223
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 1:15:03 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Agree!!! Kepler is 0-13. Arraez hitting as always.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 224
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/3/2023 1:19:11 PM   
David Levine

Kepler at leadoff is just stupid.

But I still don't think we'll really miss Arraez.
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode