Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2023 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2023 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/4/2023 4:53:01 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

Anthony Richardson's stock rising quickly at the combine. Off the chart physically for a QB. Now projected to be selected in the top 5-10.

Watched a short highlight reel of his and he looks like Lamar Jackson with a more accurate arm.

The dude looks like a DE. 6'4" 244 he's certainly a bit of a freak. Curious how fast he runs.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 26
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/4/2023 5:11:51 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: BisonFan

We definitely have several needs, but I would still like to see us grab a speedy receiver to threaten deep downfield to take pressure off JJ.

Maybe like Jalen Nailor

Post #: 27
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/4/2023 6:06:10 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Anthony Richardson's stock rising quickly at the combine. Off the chart physically for a QB. Now projected to be selected in the top 5-10.

Watched a short highlight reel of his and he looks like Lamar Jackson with a more accurate arm.

The dude looks like a DE. 6'4" 244 he's certainly a bit of a freak. Curious how fast he runs.

https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/1632161469407084545
Post #: 28
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 6:26:54 AM   
BisonFan

I hope they give him a chance, but you never really hear them talk about Nailor. If he can fill that role we can use our first round pick for another position, i.e. cornerback.
Post #: 29
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 7:49:05 AM   
Todd M

I'll be surprised if we don't trade out of the 1st round.
Post #: 30
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 9:54:51 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Considering his middling college stats, he must have had his share of lowlights.

GP GS Record Cmp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Rtg
24 13 6–7 215 393 54.7 3,105 7.9 24 15 133.6
Post #: 31
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 11:06:03 AM   
marty

I thought Richardson looked the best of the QBs in highlights, but he is raw. Young may be better, but size is a concern there.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 32
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 11:20:11 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I thought Richardson looked the best of the QBs in highlights, but he is raw. Young may be better, but size is a concern there.

Young is Kyler Murray light. He might be ok early in his career but when these sub 6' qb's like R Wilson lose their scrambling ability and you find out they can't throw over the trench guys.

Post #: 33
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 12:10:19 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Young is Kyler Murray light. He might be ok early in his career but when these sub 6' qb's like R Wilson lose their scrambling ability and you find out they can't throw over the trench guys.

So IOW dont throw the bank at 'em when they turn 32?
Post #: 34
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 12:33:31 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

So IOW dont throw the bank at 'em when they turn 32?

Could be. But then again Brees (while a couple inches taller) did well until his arm strength waned.

The other factor is will Young hold up? Murray hasn't. Seems these DL and edge guys get bigger and faster every year.

Post #: 35
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 1:19:26 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So IOW dont throw the bank at 'em when they turn 32? edit: I googled Wilson's age and subt 2

Could be. But then again Brees (while a couple inches taller) did well until his arm strength waned.

The other factor is will Young hold up? Murray hasn't. Seems these DL and edge guys get bigger and faster every year.

Ill tell youve what think Ive learned over the years: sports is a crap shoot no matter how you spin it

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 3/5/2023 2:08:42 PM >
Post #: 36
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 2:12:22 PM   
BisonFan

I haven't been watching much of the combine but I kind of like Breeland from BYU. Waiting to see what my Bison guy Mauch will show.
Post #: 37
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 5:20:30 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Considering his middling college stats, he must have had his share of lowlights.

GP GS Record Cmp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Rtg
24 13 6–7 215 393 54.7 3,105 7.9 24 15 133.6

13 starts is all he has. Maybe he'll be awesome or maybe a bust.

Josh Allen's college stats were poor also. He completed about 56% of his passes and threw 21 INTs in 25 games. His completion percentage was poor his first two years in the NFL too. 52.8 and 58.8% in 2018 and 2019. I remember people posting about Diggs not going to like the guy's accuracy and would have sour grapes for asking for a trade.

Again, maybe Richardson will be fantastic, terrible, or somewhere in between. Right now we have stats from the only 13 games he's ever started and we have his phyical attributes and combine numbers. The guy is intriguing to say the least with incredible potential. I wouldn't let 13 college games scare me off.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 38
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 6:42:41 PM   
David Levine

I doubt he makes it to 23, but I’d take him in a heartbeat. Let him sit and learn during the “Kirk Cousins farewell tour”.
Post #: 39
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 7:06:14 PM   
Ricky J

Ben Leber @nacholeber
·
Mar 4
Quick collection of players most likely available for the #Vikings if they stay at 23. (click on link to see list)

Richardson is on this list. You should see how many replies politely and impolitely disagree with Ben.

https://twitter.com/nacholeber/status/1632179133009522689?s=20

Next tweet from Leber: How high and far a QB can jump at the Combine is so irrelevant.
Post #: 40
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 7:15:25 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Next tweet from Leber: How high and far a QB can jump at the Combine is so irrelevant.

I agree…

…when Leber played…
Post #: 41
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/5/2023 9:12:15 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I agree…

…when Leber played…

Leber really jumped into the old fuddy duddy role awfully quick.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 42
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/6/2023 1:57:42 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree…

…when Leber played…

Leber really jumped into the old fuddy duddy role awfully quick.

I do have to give him credit. He’s made as much out of mediocrity as anyone.
Post #: 43
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/6/2023 6:33:48 AM   
ronhextall

Biggest knock on Richardson is he isn’t accurate.

That’s a pretty scary negative when it comes to playing the position in NFL.

I will say if they “go get him” at least the new regime is trying.
Post #: 44
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/6/2023 11:08:17 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

53%
17 tds
9 ints
Post #: 45
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/6/2023 12:22:33 PM  1 votes
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

53%
17 tds
9 ints

Freaky athletic...

sounds a lot like Joe Webb

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 46
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/6/2023 12:51:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

This is what makes me less worried about that. He's inexperienced and probably still needs a ton of coaching. Mechanics can be improved through work and repetition if the inherent ability is there:

As a passer, Richardson’s arm strength and ability to push the ball down the field with ease are immediately evident. With simply a flick of the wrist, Richardson can push the ball 50-plus yards down the field effortlessly. Richardson also has the ability to put velocity on his passes to fit the ball in tight, condensed spaces between defenders. Richardson’s arm strength allows him to have access to the entire field and there is simply not a throw that Richardson can not make from an arm strength perspective. On occasion, Richardson has also shown that he can change tempo and trajectories on the football, dropping the ball over the shoulder of a receiver or placing the ball in between two defenders in zone. Reading coverages and working through progressions, Richardson shows that he can read defenses high to low and is disciplined enough to take the check-down throw underneath when necessary.

Richardson’s improvements are centered around his accuracy. While Richardson has a strong arm, ball placement and location are a couple key elements that Richardson appears to be inconsistent with. It appears Richardson’s accuracy comes from his mechanics. When he can operate correctly mechanically, everything looks good. When he doesn’t quite execute proper mechanics, it leads to missed throws, incompletions, tipped throws, or interceptions.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/anthony-richardson-5e150861-e6cb-465a-8d18-fe90a34daa2b/
Post #: 47
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/6/2023 1:05:10 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

This is what makes me less worried about that. He's inexperienced and probably still needs a ton of coaching. Mechanics can be improved through work and repetition if the inherent ability is there:

As a passer, Richardson’s arm strength and ability to push the ball down the field with ease are immediately evident. With simply a flick of the wrist, Richardson can push the ball 50-plus yards down the field effortlessly. Richardson also has the ability to put velocity on his passes to fit the ball in tight, condensed spaces between defenders. Richardson’s arm strength allows him to have access to the entire field and there is simply not a throw that Richardson can not make from an arm strength perspective. On occasion, Richardson has also shown that he can change tempo and trajectories on the football, dropping the ball over the shoulder of a receiver or placing the ball in between two defenders in zone. Reading coverages and working through progressions, Richardson shows that he can read defenses high to low and is disciplined enough to take the check-down throw underneath when necessary.

Richardson’s improvements are centered around his accuracy. While Richardson has a strong arm, ball placement and location are a couple key elements that Richardson appears to be inconsistent with. It appears Richardson’s accuracy comes from his mechanics. When he can operate correctly mechanically, everything looks good. When he doesn’t quite execute proper mechanics, it leads to missed throws, incompletions, tipped throws, or interceptions.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/anthony-richardson-5e150861-e6cb-465a-8d18-fe90a34daa2b/

Doesn't sound like most QB's get more accurate once they get to NFL, Josh Allen seems to be the exception and he is sort of regressing.

I have no idea, just what I heard from "NFL experts on sports radio".

If you can't complete a higher percentage of passes that what he has in the mostly very average ACC I think there is big reason for concern. Then again, nobody is perfect and if he flames out you will know it early and not have invested a lot of cash in him.
Post #: 48
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/6/2023 1:16:44 PM   
David Levine

I don't think you can fix it when someone is just naturally inaccurate throwing. Just like you can't appreciably increase arm strength.

But you can refine and normalize mechanics. It's no guarantee, obviously, but if they can get him to be more repeatable with his throws, it could bode well.
Post #: 49
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 3/6/2023 3:02:39 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Conversely, Bridgewater was known as being super accurate.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2023 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode