Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  258 259 [260] 261 262   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2023 10:26:20 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

Just in case anyone didn't know.....Dan Campbell is a doofus.
Post #: 6476
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2023 10:35:56 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

He’s an emotional decision maker.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6477
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2023 11:44:20 PM   
beo

Late to the party...

I was lamenting the Flacco non signing a bit as well.
So I tuned into the Jets/Browns games Thursday.

I thought during the game (casual watching at best)... "man, Joe throws a lot of balls into heavy coverage."

So I looked up his stats.

8 picks in 5 games.
Should have been more in the Jets game.

I'm not sure he would have moved the needle here that much... maybe some.

I think the Browns just have a really good defense and a better run game than the Vikes.
(Probably better offensive coaching as well... but Stefanski has had his bumps too and KOC is still learning on the job)

< Message edited by beo -- 12/30/2023 11:45:38 PM >
Post #: 6478
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2023 11:50:35 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Everyone is ripping on the official(and rightfully so). But, if you tell Dallas 68 is eligible(not 70), they probably pay attention to him and he isn't wide open.
Post #: 6479
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 2:56:26 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

Late to the party...

I was lamenting the Flacco non signing a bit as well.
So I tuned into the Jets/Browns games Thursday.

I thought during the game (casual watching at best)... "man, Joe throws a lot of balls into heavy coverage."

So I looked up his stats.

8 picks in 5 games.
Should have been more in the Jets game.

I'm not sure he would have moved the needle here that much... maybe some.

I think the Browns just have a really good defense and a better run game than the Vikes.
(Probably better offensive coaching as well... but Stefanski has had his bumps too and KOC is still learning on the job)

Without Chubb.

I do find it interesting that Flacco and Hunt were both interested in becoming Vikings, and I guess we were happy with the likes of Mattison, Akers, Chandler, Dobbs and Mullens.

I don't think Flacco is great any more, but he is a leader. Hunt would have been perfect for this team. I also don't think he is great. Low bar, and we somehow always find a way to stay under it.
Post #: 6480
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 5:49:02 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Have always wondered if they chose Addison (or targeted a WR) in the 1st round as a hedge against JJ leaving via trade due to cap concerns or potentially just wanting out. At the time, Thielen had been released and Osborn was/is merely an ok #3 WR approaching free agency. QB could have been an option or need but there wasn't much to choose from.

This is the year to get a QB. But absent a costly trade up, how far down the QB list are they willing to go considering they likely are not sold on every one of, say, the top 6-8 QBs?

It seems to me like they have passed the point of being finicky choosy to get QB lucky. Like me picking lotto numbers based on the final ages of my six dead dogs since childhood. Sure, makes perfect sense … does it get me any closer to winning?

Time to adjust the spray nozzle to maximum wad size and let it rip.

Make the QB draft picks rain.

Disagree. Don't force picks out of desperation. Pick a guy you really want. If you have to overpay to move up and get that guy, go for it. But don't draft a dud just for the sake of making a pick.

I’m exaggerating. So are you … we are desperate to begin with, not forcing anything.

Nobody is going to take a guy they dont like, nobody drafts a dud intentionally.

When the talent is clear cut, dont reach for need. Clearly.

All things equal, with multiple options of similar talent, need absolutely matters.

My thing is … we are not only desperate but we suck at drafting. We need to invest resources. That’s all I ask.

there have been 13 trades for the 1st overall pick since 1967, and it looks like no team has ever paid even three 1st rounders for the first overall - they have paid as many as two 1st and several 2nds though....

the most recent....

Bears had the 1st overall - Panthers 2023
Bears received
DJ Moore
1st on draft year #9
2nd on draft year #61
1st next year
2nd two years later

Titans had the 1st overall - Rams 2016
Titans received
1st on draft year #15
2nd on draft year
2nd on draft year
3rd on draft year
1st next year
3rd next year

I would gladly pay three 1st, or even more with trade-back picks - all for the #1 quarterback on our list....

i think that one of the keys is not to get financially bogged down on a veteran quarterback this year, i.e., cousins or whoever...we'll have some money for free agents, and with some nifty draft picking we could be reloaded and ready to go in 2025....

Beyond the #1 overall:

The Redskins gave up 3 first rounders and a second rounder for the #2 overall (RG III).

The 49ers gave up 3 first rounders and a third rounder for the #3 overall (Trey Lance).

yes, thank you for that...three 1sts and a 2nd - I would pay that and more to draft the 2024 quarterback we covet - quarterback is just so important in today's NFL that it's pointless to spend large amounts of money on other positions without one....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6481
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 6:26:16 AM   
Bill Johanesen

yes, thank you for that...three 1sts and a 2nd - I would pay that and more to draft the 2024 quarterback we covet - quarterback is just so important in today's NFL that it's pointless to spend large amounts of money on other positions without one....

Yeah, it's interesting. Say a team trades (just) two firsts and a second to move up. One of the firsts can be construed as a pick swap, and the team giving up all the picks is actually ahead at just that point. The second first helps equalize that disparity. So in a way it's not that much. Maybe it's semantics. "Team A gave up two first round picks and x." But they also gained a pick, a pick near the top of the draft at that.

Assuming a draft value chart is the be-all, end-all (with outyear picks being discounted), three firsts to move from the middle of the round to the top is entirely in the realm as far as equalizing points.

Conversely, after the trade the other team has more chances to hit on good/great players or trade around. And the player who ends up on the team trading up is under more of a microscope.

Ultimately, it's the risk factor. Three 1st rounders is a lot of draft capital to hope you hit on not just a good QB, but a star. And that player is going to play for 2-3 years regardless... the QB position is on freeze all the while. But the reward is great....

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 12/31/2023 6:29:20 AM >
Post #: 6482
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 7:46:35 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Why hasn't the NFL set the kickoff times for week 18 games? Just the timing of the games could impact whether the Lions rest their starters, which in turn affects the Vikings ability to win the game, which then helps decide the draft slot. It should be a noon local kickoff, but who knows what shenanigans the NFL and the networks will pull to maximize the drama.
Post #: 6483
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 7:57:44 AM   
Murph

We have never made a big move up into the top of the first round.

This is the year I hope we do, even if the cost sets us back for a year. I'd prefer that to our usual safe, conservative approach that make a us a playoff competitive team.

ID 3 QB's in the class you love i.e. (Williams, Maye, Daniels), make a Godfather offer to a team like the Cardinals, picking in that range and get one of your guys.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 6484
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 8:03:44 AM   
Bill Johanesen

IMO there have been just two QBs in the past 50 years who were can't miss types: Elway and Manning. Perhaps Luck as well. And scouts were falling over Jeff George after his pro day (or maybe combine) so he'd be up there, but not to the same degree.

How many first round picks were they worth to teams wanting to trade up?

Elway and Manning were both drafted by the Colts, Baltimore and Indianapolis respectively. Baltimore didn't get a boatload in the trade, but Elway's preferences factored into that.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 12/31/2023 8:06:18 AM >
Post #: 6485
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 8:52:56 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

We have never made a big move up into the top of the first round.

This is the year I hope we do, even if the cost sets us back for a year. I'd prefer that to our usual safe, conservative approach that make a us a playoff competitive team.

ID 3 QB's in the class you love i.e. (Williams, Maye, Daniels), make a Godfather offer to a team like the Cardinals, picking in that range and get one of your guys.

I think the chance of Kwesi trading down is probably greater.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6486
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 9:20:11 AM   
Todd M

The question is what does Kwesi think his best move to garner an extension is?

Will he get an extension with another year being competitive or will he need a playoff run?

I hope he gambles, goes big or goes home and finds a way to land their absolute favourite QB. I’d respect that even if it failed.
Post #: 6487
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 10:47:09 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Everyone is ripping on the official(and rightfully so). But, if you tell Dallas 68 is eligible(not 70), they probably pay attention to him and he isn't wide open.

Campbell really screwed the pooch here. As David pointed out, he's way too emotional at times.

Going for the win was fine. After getting the penalty he had a chance to rethink that decision and he still went for it. That was dumb. After Parson's was offsides, he had a 3rd crack to think about it and STILL said 'f' it.

At that point it's time to slow down, take the extra point and regroup.
Post #: 6488
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 2:07:05 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Campbell really screwed the pooch here. As David pointed out, he's way too emotional at times.

Going for the win was fine. After getting the penalty he had a chance to rethink that decision and he still went for it. That was dumb. After Parson's was offsides, he had a 3rd crack to think about it and STILL said 'f' it.

At that point it's time to slow down, take the extra point and regroup.

Exactly my thoughts.
Post #: 6489
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 2:43:02 PM   
Todd M

Baltimore is the class of the league. Lamar would have looked good in a different shade of purple.
Post #: 6490
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 3:35:47 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Rams win, Saints win, TB just has to beat Carolina next week. Seattle could win too and all that still doesn't put a bullet in the dying dog teams in the hunt. Vikings, losers of 4 of their last 5, need a tie tonight to humanely end the season.

And... the Bears are in the hunt, LMAO!
Post #: 6491
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 3:47:46 PM   
beo

quote:

IMO there have been just two QBs in the past 50 years who were can't miss types: Elway and Manning. Perhaps Luck as well. And scouts were falling over Jeff George after his pro day (or maybe combine) so he'd be up there, but not to the same degree.

How many first round picks were they worth to teams wanting to trade up?

Elway and Manning were both drafted by the Colts, Baltimore and Indianapolis respectively. Baltimore didn't get a boatload in the trade, but Elway's preferences factored into that.

And a crazy sidenote... there was a lot of differing opinion on Manning vs Leaf.
That couldn't have been a more lopsided outcome of careers.
Post #: 6492
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 6:04:21 PM   
Todd M

An opening…
Post #: 6493
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 6:19:20 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Jake browning has ZERO chance against the KC defense down 8..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6494
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 10:28:54 PM   
Todd M

Until Kevin and Kwesi go there will be no hoping ‘this’ year could be the year.

Maybe we’ll be the team of the 2030’s.
Post #: 6495
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 10:46:46 PM   
Todd M

I’d sit JJ next game.

Protect the asset. Trade the asset.
Post #: 6496
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 10:53:48 PM   
Todd M

Picking 12vth looking at ESPN league standings.
Post #: 6497
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2023 10:55:59 PM   
Todd M

Dumb targeting the franchise QB. Dumber grooming him.
Post #: 6498
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 4:49:29 AM   
marty

Trading up to the #1 spot is a possibility.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 6499
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 7:32:13 AM   
BisonFan

Suffering my New Years Viking hangover this morning. Have that horrible taste in my mouth and my head hurts thinking about this team. Yes injuries make a difference but the lack of preparation is on the coaches. I am not for kicking KOC out the door this year but he needs to prove it next year. Is he last year's coach of a winning team or the one we have seen this year?

Happy New Year to you all!
Post #: 6500
Page:   <<   < prev  258 259 [260] 261 262   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  258 259 [260] 261 262   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode