Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  260 261 [262] 263 264   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 2:28:39 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

If they offer more guaranteed money to KFC..

I’ll be joining Art Forte in “ what ever happened to that guy….” land..

t least as far as commenting on this team..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6526
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 2:29:57 PM   
Bill Johanesen

After another season, outside of Hunter what players on defense are foundations for the future or even consistently legit starters?
- Blackmon, just for potential and the halo effect from being a high pick?
- The best of Bynum/Metellus?
- Pace based on hope?

Thy cupboard is bare.

And while Hunter and Davenport are UFAs, they'll live on in spirit in 2024 with their combined $22 million in dead cap (void years) if they are not retained.
Post #: 6527
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 2:31:31 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

My biggest takeaway from last night was when they put the camera on KAM. He was sitting there clowning it up with a shit eating grin on face. His project, about to get bounced from the playoffs by their arch rivals, at home....and he's having a great time.

That just blew my mind. You're the GM that put this thing together and they are getting boat raced. I would have stormed out after the first to start looking for better answers but I'm glad he was having a good time. It was NYE after all.

I don’t think the Wilfs were feeling festive. I read they always make themselves available after games but didn’t last night.

I’d love it if they were disgusted with what they saw and wanted to clean house. I could support that. See them only win a couple of games next year if we’d do what we needed to do. I’ll probably turn more casual observer if it’s the status quo
Post #: 6528
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 2:52:34 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

It hard to believe I survived Childress and steckle and worse teams and coaches..

the love affair and “ Guaranteed Money” contracts given to Mr Mediocrity, has completely soured me on this team, owners and management..

How can they STAND losing to Detroit and GreenBay @ home ?

That’s a fireable offense..

Weak ass owners, shitty GM and a clueless offensive wannabe head coach.

Our OL coach should be fired tomorrow..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6529
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 3:08:39 PM   
stfrank

quote:

Weak ass owners, shitty GM and a clueless offensive wannabe head coach.

This sums it up quite well Dan. Each year I sour on the Vikings a little more and the current owners are the problem now..... As long as they make money they just don't care if the team is good or not. If they did, there would be a complete house cleaning and rebuild. Not this BS competitive rebuild shit with most of the money going to an old me first QB.
Post #: 6530
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 3:13:18 PM   
jbusse

At the moment, Ryan Poles (hired by the Bears a day before Vikes hired Kwesi) is way ahead of Kwesi in positioning his team for future success. I can't imagine this is lost on the Wilfs. Didn't they always decide on renewing Spielman a year before his contract expired? Kwesi has one year to show something. Worst case is if short-termism dictates his moves over the next year.
Post #: 6531
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 4:11:33 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

If they offer more guaranteed money to KFC..

I’ll be joining Art Forte in “ what ever happened to that guy….” land..

t least as far as commenting on this team..

Is Art the stone oven pizza guy over on Slack?
Post #: 6532
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 4:50:00 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

Fun Fact:

Rookie Jaren Hall is actually older than 4 year "vet" Jordan Love...

Speaking of which... Penix and Nix will both be 24 when training camp rolls around. Penix has six collegiate seasons, Nix five. They should, and probably will, be discounted for age and an imbalance in experience. The last of the COVID-era babies?

While mock drafts are certainly not done by those in the know, many of them I've quickly checked have those guys going in the 2nd round.

Penix scares me. 17 starts his first 4 years because of injuries. 4 Season ending injuries in his career.

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/would-patriots-take-a-chance-on-michael-penix-jr-despite-his-injury-history/570800/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/michael-penix-jr-injury-history-washington-qb/53294f30524200aa707f2876

I started saying he was my guy when we went on a run and looked to be drafting around 22. I had the caveat that the injuries scared me. At 10-12 I would have major concerns.
Post #: 6533
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 4:55:46 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

At the moment, Ryan Poles (hired by the Bears a day before Vikes hired Kwesi) is way ahead of Kwesi in positioning his team for future success. I can't imagine this is lost on the Wilfs. Didn't they always decide on renewing Spielman a year before his contract expired? Kwesi has one year to show something. Worst case is if short-termism dictates his moves over the next year.

They better not care. According to the reports I read after he interviewed, he laid out his plans to tear it down and they said “nope” so it’s their own damn fault.
Post #: 6534
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 6:16:06 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fun Fact:

Rookie Jaren Hall is actually older than 4 year "vet" Jordan Love...

Speaking of which... Penix and Nix will both be 24 when training camp rolls around. Penix has six collegiate seasons, Nix five. They should, and probably will, be discounted for age and an imbalance in experience. The last of the COVID-era babies?

While mock drafts are certainly not done by those in the know, many of them I've quickly checked have those guys going in the 2nd round.

Penix scares me. 17 starts his first 4 years because of injuries. 4 Season ending injuries in his career.

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/would-patriots-take-a-chance-on-michael-penix-jr-despite-his-injury-history/570800/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/michael-penix-jr-injury-history-washington-qb/53294f30524200aa707f2876

I started saying he was my guy when we went on a run and looked to be drafting around 22. I had the caveat that the injuries scared me. At 10-12 I would have major concerns.

An injured Penix... I don't even want to think about it.
Post #: 6535
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 6:20:43 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

They better not care. According to the reports I read after he interviewed, he laid out his plans to tear it down and they said “nope” so it’s their own damn fault.

Exactly why the Timberwolves ended up with David Kahn instead of Dennis Lindsey years ago.
Post #: 6536
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 6:32:41 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Have always wondered if they chose Addison (or targeted a WR) in the 1st round as a hedge against JJ leaving via trade due to cap concerns or potentially just wanting out. At the time, Thielen had been released and Osborn was/is merely an ok #3 WR approaching free agency. QB could have been an option or need but there wasn't much to choose from.

This is the year to get a QB. But absent a costly trade up, how far down the QB list are they willing to go considering they likely are not sold on every one of, say, the top 6-8 QBs?

It seems to me like they have passed the point of being finicky choosy to get QB lucky. Like me picking lotto numbers based on the final ages of my six dead dogs since childhood. Sure, makes perfect sense … does it get me any closer to winning?

Time to adjust the spray nozzle to maximum wad size and let it rip.

Make the QB draft picks rain.

Disagree. Don't force picks out of desperation. Pick a guy you really want. If you have to overpay to move up and get that guy, go for it. But don't draft a dud just for the sake of making a pick.

I’m exaggerating. So are you … we are desperate to begin with, not forcing anything.

Nobody is going to take a guy they dont like, nobody drafts a dud intentionally.

When the talent is clear cut, dont reach for need. Clearly.

All things equal, with multiple options of similar talent, need absolutely matters.

My thing is … we are not only desperate but we suck at drafting. We need to invest resources. That’s all I ask.

there have been 13 trades for the 1st overall pick since 1967, and it looks like no team has ever paid even three 1st rounders for the first overall - they have paid as many as two 1st and several 2nds though....

the most recent....

Bears had the 1st overall - Panthers 2023
Bears received
DJ Moore
1st on draft year #9
2nd on draft year #61
1st next year
2nd two years later

Titans had the 1st overall - Rams 2016
Titans received
1st on draft year #15
2nd on draft year
2nd on draft year
3rd on draft year
1st next year
3rd next year

I would gladly pay three 1st, or even more with trade-back picks - all for the #1 quarterback on our list....

i think that one of the keys is not to get financially bogged down on a veteran quarterback this year, i.e., cousins or whoever...we'll have some money for free agents, and with some nifty draft picking we could be reloaded and ready to go in 2025....

Beyond the #1 overall:

The Redskins gave up 3 first rounders and a second rounder for the #2 overall (RG III).

The 49ers gave up 3 first rounders and a third rounder for the #3 overall (Trey Lance).

yes, thank you for that...three 1sts and a 2nd - I would pay that and more to draft the 2024 quarterback we covet - quarterback is just so important in today's NFL that it's pointless to spend large amounts of money on other positions without one....

Then when the No. 1 overall busts, we'll hit on Mr. Irrelevant.
Post #: 6537
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 6:44:56 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

McCarthy is looking like just a guy
Post #: 6538
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 8:55:31 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

Same but I admitted that I didn’t see a lot of him. He/Nix and Ewers as “top prospects” are in that 2nd tier. JJ did impress me with that one handed catch and throw on the flee flicker. That was very impressive athleticism.
Post #: 6539
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 10:00:21 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Same but I admitted that I didn’t see a lot of him. He/Nix and Ewers as “top prospects” are in that 2nd tier. JJ did impress me with that one handed catch and throw on the flee flicker. That was very impressive athleticism.

Penix looking pretty good.
Post #: 6540
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2024 10:04:30 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

His ball placement is much better than what I've seen in most of the other college qbs. His injury history seems a bit of a concern. Gonna have to take a chance on someone though.
Post #: 6541
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 8:05:07 AM   
bstinger

quote:

After another season, outside of Hunter what players on defense are foundations for the future or even consistently legit starters?
- Blackmon, just for potential and the halo effect from being a high pick?
- The best of Bynum/Metellus?
- Pace based on hope?

Thy cupboard is bare.

And while Hunter and Davenport are UFAs, they'll live on in spirit in 2024 with their combined $22 million in dead cap (void years) if they are not retained.

The cupboard is very bare without our 1st round Safety and 2nd Round CB from 2022 being worth a damn. I think those 2 picks right there are fireable offenses.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6542
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 8:16:41 AM  1 votes
bstinger

The competitive rebuild was the wrong course of action and I was strongly in favor of a tear down. We did get to enjoy an entertaining yet hollow 13-4 season last year, all the while knowing we weren't good enough to win the SB with that team.

We've wasted 2 years of JJ and are further away from competing for a SB.

Not only are the cupboards pretty bare for next year, but we're paying a lot of dead cap.

We have maybe 5 guys under team control that other teams would covet and they are all on offense.

I love JJ, but we need to use that asset to kickstart the rebuild. Instead of paying him and Darrisaw big time extensions get some draft capital for them and anyone else that is tradeable. Tear it down to the studs and start by building quality OL and DL. I'm tired of being dominated in the trenches all the time.

Go 1-16 next year with Hall and Mullens as your QB and draft #1 overall in 2025. Get your QB and skill positions go from there, should have a bunch of FA money at that point too to fill in the gaps. You probably draft petty high again in 2026 as the new QB has some growing pains, but 2027 and beyond you should be very competitive if the GM and scouts did their jobs. (Hopefully not Queasy)

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6543
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 8:23:25 AM   
Todd M

Kwesi has not done a good job. Period. The only thing he has working for him are soft owners and a “too soon to fire” window.

For me it’s not only the picks and what missing on 2 contributors has cost it’s the way he went about it. Passing on a star S for a bum.

Cine did make his 1st big boy tackle. It’s like a 2 year old “baby” bird finally leave the nest.
Post #: 6544
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 8:28:16 AM   
Todd M

bstinger for GM.

I’d love if they tore it all down. I’d support a 1 to 5 game winning team for a couple of years if it meant not accepting mediocrity and ultimately disappointment.
Post #: 6545
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 8:29:29 AM   
Todd M

I meant to 2 star the post.
Post #: 6546
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 9:12:22 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Right now we are tied with Chicago as NFCN cellar dwellers. Not that they care, but whether the Wilf's want to accept it or not this team is either going to bottom out or stay in the lower tier abyss for years unless they find some strategic direction. That direction first extends to free agency.

1. Feel the pain. The theme of free agency this year needs to be 'We're sitting it out'. $50+ million in dead cap will help see to that.
2. Cut up the credit cards. Minimize dead cap. Stop creating void years.
3. Free agency isn't free. Forget any big or medium overpriced splash signings. Do NOT shell out $13 million for someone like Davenport. Don't waste cap on a player like Murphy, a one-dimensional TE like Oliver, etc.
4. Don't spend just to spend. Any signing however small needs to be part of a long-term plan.

As for fans, those who advocate a tear down can't have it both ways by clamoring we sign every damn free agent that's available. View free agency as a field of landmines that Kwesi is sure to trip.
Post #: 6547
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 9:40:08 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

The competitive rebuild was the wrong course of action and I was strongly in favor of a tear down. We did get to enjoy an entertaining yet hollow 13-4 season last year, all the while knowing we weren't good enough to win the SB with that team.

Not only are the cupboards pretty bare for next year, but we're paying a lot of dead cap.

We have maybe 5 guys under team control that other teams would covet and they are all on offense.

I love JJ, but we need to use that asset to kickstart the rebuild. Instead of paying him and Darrisaw big time extensions get some draft capital for them and anyone else that is tradeable. Tear it down to the studs and start by building quality OL and DL. I'm tired of being dominated in the trenches all the time.

Go 1-16 next year with Hall and Mullens as your QB and draft #1 overall in 2025. Get your QB and skill positions go from there, should have a bunch of FA money at that point too to fill in the gaps. You probably draft petty high again in 2026 as the new QB has some growing pains, but 2027 and beyond you should be very competitive if the GM and scouts did their jobs. (Hopefully not Queasy)

We are position to get a QBOTF this draft. Why wait?

Like Bill says, sit out FA and get dead cap in order.

By 2025, hopefully we have QBOTF and cap room.
Post #: 6548
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 10:14:03 AM  1 votes
Tom Sykes

quote:

Your plan only works if you have competent people on the other side of the teardown that can build something.

Waiting to pounce on a QB in two years is a very flawed pro football strategy. You dont wait to strike until your iron is hot, you make the iron hot by striking. i. e., it may take several attempts to get a QB worthy of leading this franchise. You dont just draft anybody but you dont just draft nobody either. gzuz.

Yesterday you spit on the idea of picking for need but your plan uses the purest form / the zenith of need picking - align all your resources and schedule your QB pick for 2 years down the road. Without knowing who’s available or what our draft position will be.

Your plan may fix the problem but more than likely it just prolongs the groundhog qb day we are going through.
Post #: 6549
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 10:47:08 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

His ball placement is much better than what I've seen in most of the other college qbs. His injury history seems a bit of a concern. Gonna have to take a chance on someone though.

Yeap. He's super accurate. I've seen him a bunch this year. Obviously the injury history has to give you pause but what I love about him is that he reminds me of Lamar Jackson. Not the running ability (although he has it just not like LJ). He showed last night that can get out the pocket and do damage but nobody is LJ in that dept. Where I see them as the "same" is he's a flick of the wrist passer. He needs no time to get the ball out of his hands. He literally just flicks his wrist and it's gone.

Other guys in college can do that too but they are 5 yard outs, slants ect. Penix routinely does it and the ball travels 20+ yards in the air. He's special that way and it's accurate, as you pointed out. JMO but if he didn't have 4 bad injuries (lets say just 1) he would be the consensus #1 and not Williams.
Post #: 6550
Page:   <<   < prev  260 261 [262] 263 264   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  260 261 [262] 263 264   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode