Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  287 288 [289] 290 291   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 1:51:14 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Are there any Baker Mayfield/Randall Cunningham type reclamation projects out there that could serve as a bridge on a one-year deal?

A lot of the usual suspects … minshew mariota brisset taylor lock winston teddy

The old mentor types flacco ryan foles wentz

I’ve had this illogical itch for Minshew based on his mustache fans … that wore off but I wouldn’t mind getting that out of my system.

Flacco would be my next candidate but can’t imagine him holding up if we draft a new guy that has to sit.

Mason Rudolph. Pittsburgh is going to bring someone else in or continue with Pickett
Post #: 7201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 2:28:36 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

Are there any Baker Mayfield/Randall Cunningham type reclamation projects out there that could serve as a bridge on a one-year deal?

I’ve had this illogical itch for Minshew based on his mustache fans … that wore off but I wouldn’t mind getting that out of my system.

Flacco would be my next candidate but can’t imagine him holding up if we draft a new guy that has to sit.

Not that you're advocating for it but I would be a "no way" on Flacco as a bridge/backup. He's really no different than Mullens and we've seen that trainwreck.

Bring in a QB who is experienced, smart, a good communicator, and willing to teach the draftee. Flacco has been around the block and seen a lot, but I don't know about the rest of it.

I don't believe we have or even will have enough talent on D or QB to be a competitive (the old school definition of competitive) team this upcoming year so the teaching/learning aspect is paramount.
Post #: 7202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 2:35:26 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Two goals for Kwesi:
- Draft (what turns out to be) a successful QB
- Finish getting the cap situation under control

Extending or resigning Cousins does not fulfill those goals.
Post #: 7203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 5:58:55 PM   
MDK

Vikings acting more and more like the Twins.
Stay competitive to keep fans interested but no serious effort to win it all.

The reason Trump's ass is so large is because all repub senators and representatives heads are up his ass
Post #: 7204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 6:28:16 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Two goals for Kwesi:

I do not and never will understand the fascination with stat- boy mediocrity…

Excuses are all his promoters have..

But look at his stats..
no look at his career win%.. look at his playoffs record..

His fn stats are MEANINGLESS, without critical wins.

Resigning that POS to an extension is THE WORST IDEA Since stone hands / zero ball awareness Troy Williamson for Randy moss..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 1:37:05 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

I’d sign bridgewater and dobbs….maybe bring wentz and foles in for a look….

Can we bring in an unsigned player for a workout - now?

How about Cousins, Mullens, and Hall?

No? I’ll tell you what I’ll do. How about adding a 3rd to 5th round QB to battle Hall for the 3rd spot/practice squad?

my recommendations were in addition to drafting a QB in the 1st round this year...those were bridge qb / backup thoughts....

and, oh, i'd dump all the bolded....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 1/18/2024 1:43:18 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 7:36:41 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

quote:

I may be wrong but I don’t see signing any older expensive QB, not just Cousins, as a solid option for a team trying to build and strengthen itself across the board with younger players. With not a lot of resources.

He’s just a sentimental choice at this point.

Speaking of which, how about this misleading headline from Daily Norseman: Russell Wilson potentially "intrigued" by Vikings.

The so-called article (by Christopher Gates) goes on to repeat what was written somewhere on ESPN then used in the headline: Don’t be surprised if Wilson, should he become a free agent, is intrigued by Minnesota...

Christopher Gates used to be a Vikestalk "contributor" years ago. He was posting 24 /7 primarily while serving in the USAF as a weather-guesser instructor of sorts. He was IMO arrogant & obnoxious most of the time. Like some of us I guess He apparently went full time w/ Dailey Norseman as columnist. I don't follow him & I don't miss him.

Just remembered his poster name was Gonz.

< Message edited by eagleflorida -- 1/18/2024 7:45:59 AM >
Post #: 7207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 8:31:26 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Two goals for Kwesi:

But look at his stats..
Resigning that POS to an extension is THE WORST IDEA Since stone hands / zero ball awareness Troy Williamson for Randy moss..

We are a QB starved franchise. We at times thought Ponder, Teddy, and Case were saviors. Fans will jump aboard the next QB train fast and furious as they did with Dobbs after a game and a half.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 9:34:30 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Two goals for Kwesi:

But look at his stats..

We are a QB starved franchise. We at times thought Ponder, Teddy, and Case were saviors. Fans will jump aboard the next QB train fast and furious as they did with Dobbs after a game and a half.

Or Cousins after 12 fruitless seasons.
Post #: 7209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 9:59:33 AM   
Tom Sykes

The difference being jumping aboard the next train hoping you reach your destination or jumping on a train you know will stop short.
Post #: 7210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 10:00:13 AM   
Tom Sykes

The battle lines are set. The pro-KCers will be thrilled if he’s resigned. The anti-KCers will be thrilled if he’s not.

Signing him for one year and all this joy and goodwill starts all over again.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/18/2024 10:12:39 AM >
Post #: 7211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 10:13:50 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: eagleflorida

quote:

quote:

I may be wrong but I don’t see signing any older expensive QB, not just Cousins, as a solid option for a team trying to build and strengthen itself across the board with younger players. With not a lot of resources.

Speaking of which, how about this misleading headline from Daily Norseman: Russell Wilson potentially "intrigued" by Vikings.

The so-called article (by Christopher Gates) goes on to repeat what was written somewhere on ESPN then used in the headline: Don’t be surprised if Wilson, should he become a free agent, is intrigued by Minnesota...

Christopher Gates used to be a Vikestalk "contributor" years ago. He was posting 24 /7 primarily while serving in the USAF as a weather-guesser instructor of sorts. He was IMO arrogant & obnoxious most of the time. Like some of us I guess He apparently went full time w/ Dailey Norseman as columnist. I don't follow him & I don't miss him.

Yea he fought with me. A lot..
I disagreed with him on any number of issues, mostly his homerific take on the Vikings and the Vikings Management.

I like to think he left because of me, me cause I did not like him or his style.. he could dish but not take.. I know he bitched to mods about me constantly..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 10:16:27 AM   
Tom Sykes

Signing Cousins on 2+ year deal and not drafting a QB high this offseason would be one of the most short-sighted strategies in this teams history.

So it may very well happen.

EDIT: This is me whistling while I walk through a graveyard at night.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/18/2024 11:18:23 AM >
Post #: 7213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 10:17:30 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

The battle lines are set. The pro-KCers will be thrilled if he’s resigned. The anti-KCers will be thrilled if he’s not.

Any…ANY!! Money thrown into that rat hole of KFC, for any reason, will bring me ZERO JOY.

WE already have to pay kingsitsalot 28 million over the next three seasons of dead money…

How stupid is that?

Exceedingly.. STUPID.

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 10:38:35 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

So if Hall, Dobbs, or Mullens was the QB you are satisfied with that? It is more Pro Capable than Pro Kirk. Draft two and don't sign Kirk; that would be sufficient for me. Another is sign Mason Rudolph and draft one. A solution isn't signing Kirk or drafting one. It is having 2 capable QBs on the roster.

The lets draft a 1st round QB isn't a solution. There are plenty of Josh Rosen, Zach Wilson, etc. out there as well as Teddy and Ponder to see it.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/18/2024 10:41:09 AM >

Post #: 7215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 11:14:16 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

So if Hall, Dobbs, or Mullens was the QB you are satisfied with that? It is more Pro Capable than Pro Kirk. Draft two and don't sign Kirk; that would be sufficient for me. Another is sign Mason Rudolph and draft one. A solution isn't signing Kirk or drafting one. It is having 2 capable QBs on the roster.

The lets draft a 1st round QB isn't a solution. There are plenty of Josh Rosen, Zach Wilson, etc. out there as well as Teddy and Ponder to see it.

So if … you didn’t put non existent words in my mouth … I could respond to your post fairly.

What I will be satisfied with is a better team moving forward. I rant constantly about Cousins but that’s more about me over-reacting to posters, not being obsessed with Cousins … I think he’s actually the smaller part of the equation, on a one year deal or not.
Post #: 7216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 11:34:58 AM   
David Levine

I'm starting to believe Cousins could end up in Atlanta.

If Belichick takes the job it makes a ton of sense. They have a solid defense, some nice weapons on offense and tons of cap space. They don't have a legit QB.

Belichick will be 72 when next season starts. He's not going to want a rookie QB. He's going to want to win now.

Cousins' wife is from Atlanta and that's where her family is. It sounds like they may already have an offseason house there. Kirk is about two things: money and feeling comfortable. Atlanta could give him both.
Post #: 7217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 11:37:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

So if … you didn’t put non existent words in my mouth … I could respond to your post fairly.

What I will be satisfied with is a better team moving forward. I rant constantly about Cousins but that’s more about me over-reacting to posters, not being obsessed with Cousins … I think he’s actually the smaller part of the equation, on a one year deal or not.

Two Capable QBs plus probably Hall is the point (No battle lines, no putting words in anyone's mouth) and I don't care how. That is Pro Viking and the Pro vs Sans group isn't the issue; we haven't had 2 capable QBs on the roster since Case took over for Sam.

Post #: 7218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 12:07:24 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: eagleflorida

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I included his name figuring it would spur some recognition. How did you know he was posting while in the Air Force?
Post #: 7219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 12:20:47 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Any…ANY!! Money thrown into that rat hole of KFC, for any reason, will bring me ZERO JOY.

WE already have to pay kingsitsalot 28 million over the next three seasons of dead money…

How stupid is that?

Exceedingly.. STUPID.

All $28.5 million is due the moment he hits free agency. IMO the only reason Credit Card Kwesi would extend him, i.e. not let him hit free agency, is to kick the $28.5 million down the road. Coupled with his salary that we can't afford would mean MORE dead money on top of that.

As for a home town discount which he never directly committed to yet people believe in, it's no wonder the con-artist industry thrives so well. Besides, so what if he takes $30 million instead of $35 million. That's still $30 million down the drain that sets the team backwards.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/18/2024 12:39:46 PM >
Post #: 7220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 12:27:23 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

If Belichick takes the job it makes a ton of sense. They have a solid defense, some nice weapons on offense and tons of cap space. They don't have a legit QB.

Belichick will be 72 when next season starts. He's not going to want a rookie QB. He's going to want to win now.

Cousins' wife is from Atlanta and that's where her family is. It sounds like they may already have an offseason house there. Kirk is about two things: money and feeling comfortable. Atlanta could give him both.

Totally agree. IMO Atlanta is a prime candidate to draft Penix at #8. On the surface at least it will be good news if Belichick signs with them. Any number of teams, including Minnesota, might want to trade up to that pick, and I can see Belichick being fine with a trade down.
Post #: 7221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 12:40:36 PM   
Bill Johanesen

As a minimum, Kwesi will need to extend, sign or replace roughly one-third of the starters and a lot of backups. No matter how, they ALL require NEW CONTRACTS that will chew into the cap.
Cousins
Hunter
Hicks
Risner
Joseph
Bullard
Wonnum
Osborn
Tonga

Others:
Powell
Akers
Udoh
Brandel
Quessenberry
Mundt
Post #: 7222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 12:51:00 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Totally agree. IMO Atlanta is a prime candidate to draft Penix at #8. On the surface at least it will be good news if Belichick signs with them. Any number of teams, including Minnesota, might want to trade up to that pick, and I can see Belichick being fine with a trade down.

Good meaty posts. I had no idea about those possibilities.
Post #: 7223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 12:52:58 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Two Capable QBs plus probably Hall is the point (No battle lines, no putting words in anyone's mouth) and I don't care how. That is Pro Viking and the Pro vs Sans group isn't the issue; we haven't had 2 capable QBs on the roster since Case took over for Sam.

good post.
Post #: 7224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2024 12:56:12 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good meaty posts. I had no idea about those possibilities.

But... can you imagine the outcome of a trade between Collaborative Kwesi and Belichick? The only thing Kwesi would say no to is a request for his loafers, not that BB has any use for them.
Post #: 7225
Page:   <<   < prev  287 288 [289] 290 291   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  287 288 [289] 290 291   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode