Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  286 287 [288] 289 290   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2024 7:18:42 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Kevin Seifert@SeifertESPN

Fodder as the Vikings mull the state of their competitive rebuild:

3 of the NFL's 5 youngest teams in 2023 were in the NFC North.

2 of them made the playoffs and have advanced to the divisional round.

The 3rd has the No. 1 and No. 9 picks in the draft.

Jettisoning Cousins and Harry for a couple of 21 year old players will knock off about a half-year. But advancing in the playoffs, ugh, that's the key. Like you said, they are getting a lot from their 1st and 2nd year players.

Prior to being hired as GM, the experience of each as a scout / player personnel:

Ryan Poles, Bears -- 13 years
Brad Holmes, Lions -- 18 years
Brian Gutekunst, Packers -- 20 years
Kwesi -- 0 years

Tough to win with a young team if you have a difficult time identifying inexpensive talent. But it's the difference between identifying Sam Laporta in the draft with his 4 year / $9.5 million contract vs. trading for TJ Hockenson and re-signing him for 4 years and $66 million.
Post #: 7176
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2024 7:20:28 PM   
Todd M

Cousins wants to be here. Kwesi has every intention of bringing him back. Perhaps Kwesi”s words aren’t completely honest but Cousins I believe 1000%.

A new contract feels 80% likely to me.
Post #: 7177
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2024 7:27:17 PM   
Todd M

I hope they commit one way or another. Go hard after the replacement or stand with Cousins. They re-up with Cousins and take a QB at 11 or higher they’ll be wasting the build while your QB contract is cheap. 3 out of 5 years at least.
Post #: 7178
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2024 7:28:39 PM   
Tom Sykes

I may be wrong but I don’t see signing any older expensive QB, not just Cousins, as a solid option for a team trying to build and strengthen itself across the board with younger players. With not a lot of resources.

He’s just a sentimental choice at this point.
Post #: 7179
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 8:25:27 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

I may be wrong but I don’t see signing any older expensive QB, not just Cousins, as a solid option for a team trying to build and strengthen itself across the board with younger players. With not a lot of resources.

Speaking of which, how about this misleading headline from Daily Norseman: Russell Wilson potentially "intrigued" by Vikings.

The so-called article (by Christopher Gates) goes on to repeat what was written somewhere on ESPN then used in the headline: Don’t be surprised if Wilson, should he become a free agent, is intrigued by Minnesota...
Post #: 7180
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 8:51:12 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Speaking of which, how about this misleading headline from Daily Norseman: Russell Wilson potentially "intrigued" by Vikings.

The so-called article (by Christopher Gates) goes on to repeat what was written somewhere on ESPN then used in the headline: Don’t be surprised if Wilson, should he become a free agent, is intrigued by Minnesota...

What a big scoop that is. If he’s willing to take Mayfield’s 4m for one year + incentives … bring him on.
Post #: 7181
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 9:02:14 AM   
Tom Sykes

as a backup of course.
Post #: 7182
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 9:25:00 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Are there any Baker Mayfield/Randall Cunningham type reclamation projects out there that could serve as a bridge on a one-year deal?
Post #: 7183
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 9:48:22 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

What a big scoop that is. If he’s willing to take Mayfield’s 4m for one year + incentives … bring him on.

Well if you're going to do that, Get Joe Flacco at least as a backup.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 7184
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 10:14:58 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Are there any Baker Mayfield/Randall Cunningham type reclamation projects out there that could serve as a bridge on a one-year deal?

A lot of the usual suspects … minshew mariota brisset taylor lock winston teddy

The old mentor types flacco ryan foles wentz

I’ve had this illogical itch for Minshew based on his mustache fans … that wore off but I wouldn’t mind getting that out of my system.

Flacco would be my next candidate but can’t imagine him holding up if we draft a new guy that has to sit.
Post #: 7185
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 10:17:43 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Cousins wants to be here. Kwesi has every intention of bringing him back. Perhaps Kwesi”s words aren’t completely honest but Cousins I believe 1000%.

Sadly, I think it's more like 99.9. The .1 is only if KC's camp makes some outlandish demands and KAM has a backbone. Because I'm resinged to the fact that this is going to happen (and assuming there isn't some weird slide of a guy like Daniels):

Trade back about 3-5 spots and try and recoup that 2nd we gave up

Draft the best Edge/DT with the first (CB in a pinch if there aren't any worth it)
Draft best IOL/CB depending who's out there
Take best QB available
D
D
D
D
D
ect
Post #: 7186
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 10:28:41 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

I’ve had this illogical itch for Minshew based on his mustache fans … that wore off but I wouldn’t mind getting that out of my system.

Flacco would be my next candidate but can’t imagine him holding up if we draft a new guy that has to sit.

Not that you're advocating for it but I would be a "no way" on Flacco as a bridge/backup. He's really no different than Mullens and we've seen that trainwreck.
Post #: 7187
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 10:44:19 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

Sadly, I think it's more like 99.9. The .1 is only if KC's camp makes some outlandish demands and KAM has a backbone. Because I'm resinged to the fact that this is going to happen (and assuming there isn't some weird slide of a guy like Daniels):

Draft the best Edge/DT with the first (CB in a pinch if there aren't any worth it)
Take best QB available
D
D
D
D
D
ect

And then Cousins, KOC and Kwesi can all finish their Vikings careers together in 2 years and maybe we can then start the actual rebuild...
Post #: 7188
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 11:23:14 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not that you're advocating for it but I would be a "no way" on Flacco as a bridge/backup. He's really no different than Mullens and we've seen that trainwreck.

Right, I'm not really advocating for anybody ... just brainstorming.

Not sure what's really out there, what they're looking for.

Have no clue about our own plans but I've said, since last offseason, I'll be surprised if we don't resign Cousins.

I think it would blast holes through our teambuilding so I hope not.

As far as long-in-the-tooth Flacco ... he's almost the anti-Cousins ... shows up more in playoff time than the reg season. At least he used to.
Post #: 7189
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 11:53:22 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

I’d sign bridgewater and dobbs….maybe bring wentz and foles in for a look….

Can we bring in an unsigned player for a workout - now?

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7190
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 12:28:23 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

I’d sign bridgewater and dobbs….maybe bring wentz and foles in for a look….

Can we bring in an unsigned player for a workout - now?

How about Cousins, Mullens, and Hall?

No? I’ll tell you what I’ll do. How about adding a 3rd to 5th round QB to battle Hall for the 3rd spot/practice squad?
Post #: 7191
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 12:35:03 PM   
Todd M

Kwesi rubbing his hands together…

They think I’m going to trade up lol.
They think I might take Penix at 11 lol.
They think at worst I’ll take one of the top Edge or CB’s lol.

I’ll show them! Their jaws will hit the floor when I trade to the bottom of the 1st and take a S!

I am Kwesi I am so smart. SMRT..I mean SMART…
Post #: 7192
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 12:39:51 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right, I'm not really advocating for anybody ... just brainstorming.

Not sure what's really out there, what they're looking for.

Have no clue about our own plans but I've said, since last offseason, I'll be surprised if we don't resign Cousins.

I think it would blast holes through our teambuilding so I hope not.

As far as long-in-the-tooth Flacco ... he's almost the anti-Cousins ... shows up more in playoff time than the reg season. At least he used to.

Yeah,I hear ya. I just laugh (not at you, in general) about the whooing and haahing over Flacco and how he "saved their season" type stuff. I had to look it up. He's as big of a TO machine as Mullens but was saved by a better D and an actual run game.
Post #: 7193
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 12:41:25 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

quote:

Take best QB available
D
D
D
D
D
ect

And then Cousins, KOC and Kwesi can all finish their Vikings careers together in 2 years and maybe we can then start the actual rebuild...

I really hope KOC figues it out. I really like what he's doing with overall team building and moral. They didn't quit on him with 4 different starters. That's saying something.
Post #: 7194
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 12:48:22 PM   
Todd M

I think they quit a bit near the end. The last 2 games at least.
Post #: 7195
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 12:48:57 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Take best QB available
D
D
D
D
D
ect

I really hope KOC figues it out. I really like what he's doing with overall team building and moral. They didn't quit on him with 4 different starters. That's saying something.

Unless a huge lightbulb goes on for him and Kwesi, my guess is the next GM brings in his own coach.

If Cousins signs a [gross] 2-year deal, all 3 of them will expire at the same time.
Post #: 7196
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 12:53:39 PM   
Todd M

Team building. I think about it a lot.

Option A. You come in hard. High expectations. Discipline. You get the buy in. Then you can come down a little.

Option B. You come in soft. Offer everything. Kumbaya. You get the buy in. Then you try to crank it up and you don’t get the buy in.

I think that’s happened/happening with Kevin.
Post #: 7197
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 12:59:07 PM   
Todd M

2 years to watch KKK mull around in mediocrity. Then a couple more years course correcting. Then, assuming the Wilfs make a good hire we might have something?

I don’t know I have it in me.
Post #: 7198
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 1:08:15 PM   
Brad H

One of the big story lines in the playoffs so far is the young quarterbacks, Stroud and Love. We should take the same course and turn the page.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. Kirk Cousins is not a winner. The Vikings aren't winning the big prize with him as the quarterback.

Just because Dobbs, Mullens and Hall weren't any good, doesn't mean Cousins is/was. It only means they weren't.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 7199
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/17/2024 1:28:04 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I don't think anybody here is hoping the resign KC's. I think we all just see the writing on the wall that they will try.
Post #: 7200
Page:   <<   < prev  286 287 [288] 289 290   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  286 287 [288] 289 290   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode