Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  311 312 [313] 314 315   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2024 2:37:22 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

“Are you ready to come work with us?”

“Let’s get paid”

First words to Kwesi and then the NFL world. Don’t like it but at least when he talks about his next contract it won’t come as a surprise where his mind is at.

the media has been barking about Jefferson bankrupting the team, for several years now...all of a sudden, people/journalists are shocked that he's agreeing with them....

so far, Jefferson is pushing that narrative, but for now, they're just words - I think he's just as interested in 'no trade' as he is money....

it would be a shame if we drafted a top quarterback and he didn't have jeff and allison to throw to....

cousins is also working a funky act out in public....

jefferson, we keep...cousins, we don't....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7801
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2024 3:09:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Regardless of what you want to call a rebuild, jettisoning high-priced veteran contracts is the relatively easy part. A tougher issue is what to do about looming high-priced extensions. And develop a strategy which includes a timeline for (hopefully) really contending.

IMO it's going to take 2-3 years to contend. Using yearly averages JJ will cost $60-90 million during that time regardless of when it's paid (pay him later and it's 40+ million per when we are hopefully contending, yikes) It's too much and screams soft/competitive rebuild... which for where this team is now is simply a marketing way of saying Mediocrity.

Trade him and get draft picks. Trade him and get cap relief to start building the defense and IOL.

Right now the franchise is swimming against the current and getting swept backwards.
Post #: 7802
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2024 3:26:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

He'll likely want a 5-year record breaking contract, likely the highest non-QB contract in the NFL. 90% guaranteed. Certainly a no-trade clause.

For what? So he can march between the 20 yard lines to break some yardage record? While the D caves and the IOL is a sieve?

Points wise, I don't recall the offense going into some grand slump when the superstar was injured nearly half a season.

Signing him signifies Minnesota prefers bling while Dean Lowry starts at DE and the LG is from the scrap heap.

All style, no substance.
Post #: 7803
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2024 3:34:44 PM   
Bill Johanesen

it would be a shame if we drafted a top quarterback and he didn't have jeff and allison to throw to....

If he did, we'd never know if he was a top QB.

A top QB makes decent WRs look great. To jumpstart things, the QB can throw to Let's Get Paid, aka 'Allison'. Use Break The Bank's cap on IOL.
Post #: 7804
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/11/2024 6:36:02 AM   
marty

One thing nice about today, we don't have to worry about the Vikings losing.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7805
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 1:53:38 AM  2 votes
Daniel Lee Young

How can any sane person. Watch all of the teams in the entirety of the playoffs, and still stick with the thought that “ Kirk Cousins …

What a loser choice for franchise QB..

Cap albatross and definition of “never damn good enough” except for a tight collar choke job when leadership is needed..

I’d take Justin Fields over Cousins..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7806
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 7:22:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young
How can any sane person. Watch all of the teams in the entirety of the playoffs, and still stick with the thought that “ Kirk Cousins …
Cap albatross and definition of “never damn good enough” except for a tight collar choke job when leadership is needed..

There is Mahomes at 1A and Josh Allen at 1B---then everyone else.
Almost everyone here would take Fields as a viable option......

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7807
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 7:32:40 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

You think Allen is the 2nd best qb in the league? I could agree if he'd cut down on all the turnovers. That's a big if.
Post #: 7808
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 8:08:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

You think Allen is the 2nd best qb in the league? I could agree if he'd cut down on all the turnovers. That's a big if.

So much pressure on him to make most of the plays...can't get past KC. Lamar is probably #3.

Post #: 7809
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 8:32:35 AM   
Bill Johanesen

On the last drive there was a mix of several 3 yard passes into the swirl at the LOS and Mahomes runs. If anything, the play design and execution was extraordinary.

And Chris Jones just made himself a few more million from domination on the biggest stage.

Meanwhile, we have Mr. Break-the-Bank-Cause-I-Deserve-It getting ready for another commercial. How about this contract: $10 million per playoff TD caught.
Post #: 7810
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 9:11:18 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

So much pressure on him to make most of the plays...can't get past KC. Lamar is probably #3.

He has a heck of a lot more around him than most in the league.
Post #: 7811
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 9:12:49 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

On the last drive there was a mix of several 3 yard passes into the swirl at the LOS and Mahomes runs. If anything, the play design and execution was extraordinary.

And Chris Jones just made himself a few more million from domination on the biggest stage.

Meanwhile, we have Mr. Break-the-Bank-Cause-I-Deserve-It getting ready for another commercial. How about this contract: $10 million per playoff TD caught.

I'm not wanting to pay a wr 35 million plus a year. Seems stupid considering how much we need.
Post #: 7812
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 9:51:03 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

When a guy with his experience doesn't know you have to spike the ball with no timeouts late in a game...

That's all you really need to know.

Time to move on. Take your lumps with a rookie

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 7813
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 10:11:17 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

When a guy with his experience doesn't know you have to spike the ball with no timeouts late in a game...

That's all you really need to know.

Time to move on. Take your lumps with a rookie

One million teenagers around the world that have ever played Madden Football knew you had to rush up to the line and spike it. The crowd that day knew it. It was said "the home crowd noise was loud because the fans are dumb". OK, I agree our home fans are generally dumb (starting the wave with a severe injury on the field is just one of a zillion examples I could give) but in this case there was the original burst of applause for the first down, BUT THEN IT QUIETED DOWN, but then the noise rose because fans were screaming, "SPIKE THE BALL YOU DUMB SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 7814
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 10:30:06 AM   
Ricky J

49er fans be like, I wish Shanahan would of went for it on 4th and 4 ...
Post #: 7815
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 10:39:46 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

There is no 1B.
Post #: 7816
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 10:42:05 AM   
twinsfan

PA just had Dalton Risner on his KFAN show. These two together sound like a couple whacko religious conspiracy theorists. What is it with the super religious-types and distrust? Basically what I got from the interview is that Risner is big on trusting God, but beyond that he trusts nobody and they are all out to get him. It's like he's been persecuted by the Denver Broncos front office, and now he's afraid of the same thing happening here or somewhere else. Give it a rest guys. Why is God allowing that to happen to him? To make him stronger in his religious beliefs? These are the same people that go to church regularly and pray for a morally bankrupt madman to return to the White House for life and save the world. I'm sorry. It's infuriating listening to all their self-righteous bitching, all while supporting the most godless "man" ever imaginable.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 7817
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 10:44:59 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

IMO Josh Allen is nowhere near Mahomes.

There’s Mahomes ... one of the biggest floppers not in soccer but, right now, by himself in football when it matters most.

Drop down a bit and you have some QBs good enough to make it happen with a great cast, just not on Mahomes’ level ... Burrows Purdy Jackson and I’ll include Allen based on traits like Jackson but both can be their own worst enemy at times.

Hurts and Stanford have done it but they are half a notch below.

Next Tier Hebert Tagolaivoa Stroud Lawrence Love as franchise young guys who have a chance to ascend into the next tier.

Goff is somewhere between the upper tiers and the middle tier ... Prescott Cousins Carr. (I always thought Goff was very similar to Cousins but somehow, he’s figured out how to use his anger at being abused / being a castoff (like Mayfield on a smaller scale) as a useful tool to attack defenses.

And then The Who cares. I’m sure it’s an imperfect ordering, I probably forgot a name or two.

Cousins: I don’t care how well you can throw a football ... if you have no escapability or athleticism to make something happen off schedule/spontaneously, don’t have the scrappiness / aggression gene to raise your game in big games ... you are never going to be a threat to make a playoff run (or earn whatever they pay you).

There are 20 QBs good enough to get into a playoff game, to even win a playoff game if they have the right supporting cast and situation (*see Mayfield).

Big deal.
Post #: 7818
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 10:48:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

Buffalo is so dependent on Josh Allen...and when you factor in the HC of both.

Andy Reid been to 5 Super Bowls, won 3, been to 5 AFC Championships and 5 NFC Championships.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/12/2024 11:13:40 AM >

Post #: 7819
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 11:12:16 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Sure. But he's nowhere near Mahomes.

And I think this year might be his most impressive season because he's had to be damn near perfect a lot of the times. He's cut way back on the big plays because he doesn't have the weapons he used to. He can still kill you with one play, but he's also as good of a "surgeon" as there is in the game.

Allen doesn't have that mindset ever. He tries to win the game on every snap.
Post #: 7820
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 11:14:33 AM   
David Levine

Purdy would love to have Cousins pure arm talent, but everything else that makes a QB, Brock has in spades over Kirk.

Purdy looks like the 12 year vet out there and Cousins still has too many "rookie" moments.
Post #: 7821
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 11:21:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

And I think this year might be his most impressive season because he's had to be damn near perfect a lot of the times. He's cut way back on the big plays because he doesn't have the weapons he used to. He can still kill you with one play, but he's also as good of a "surgeon" as there is in the game.

I think it a lot to do with the coach...Reid has made 5 Super Bowls now. The difference in the game wasn't only Mahomes over Purdy. Reid outcoached his counterpart in the the 2nd half also.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/12/2024 11:23:24 AM >

Post #: 7822
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 11:47:47 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Purdy would love to have Cousins pure arm talent, but everything else that makes a QB, Brock has in spades over Kirk.

Purdy looks like the 12 year vet out there and Cousins still has too many "rookie" moments.

Spot on.
Post #: 7823
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 11:56:53 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it a lot to do with the coach...Reid has made 5 Super Bowls now. The difference in the game wasn't only Mahomes over Purdy. Reid outcoached his counterpart in the the 2nd half also.

There is no disputing that Reid is a great coach.

There's definitely the potential for Mahomes Reid to overtake Brady Belichick.

Trait for trait ... Mahomes is better than Brady but he still has to do it over the same length of time to prove it. Even if he does, he's doing it with a much better offensive playcaller / mind on the sideline than Brady ever had. (which kind of makes what Brady accomplished more unreal)

Allen is nowhere near Mahomes ... mentally I would put him behind a few others as well.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/12/2024 11:58:53 AM >
Post #: 7824
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2024 12:05:21 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Andy Reid is one of the greatest offensive coaches ever. But he couldn't win the big one without Mahomes.
Post #: 7825
Page:   <<   < prev  311 312 [313] 314 315   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  311 312 [313] 314 315   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode