Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  338 339 [340] 341 342   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 11:40:24 AM   
David F.

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1m
A splash in Minnesota: The #Vikings are signing edge rusher Jonathan Greenard, sources tell me and
@RapSheet

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 8476
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 11:50:20 AM  1 votes
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: fmaltes

I have a feeling they are going to keep KFC. They will work it out.

So he takes 40M/year to stay?

My fear is we do something dumb like three years with beaucoup incentives or ATL/others fall through with not enough over what we are offering to pull him away.

The max 40m is for the length of a contract or 2 years?

It literally tops out at 40M/year. No annual raises, no bonuses. He can not make more than 40M in any of the years on a new contract from us.

I don't understand that. WE can't sign him for more than that? Is there some rule preventing that or is it a team self imposed top end limit?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 8477
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 11:52:36 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1m
A splash in Minnesota: The #Vikings are signing edge rusher Jonathan Greenard, sources tell me and
@RapSheet

That will be spendy.

Goodbye Hunter.

26 year old compared to 30 year old.
Post #: 8478
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 11:55:49 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Well, either Hunter is getting a shot at FA as well..

Or we are hoping to spend a crap ton on defense..

Will be 27 in May and gets 4 years /76 mill/ 42 guaranteed..

I am learning to hate that word..

Fn QB’s and their agents have ruined football.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 8479
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 11:57:38 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My fear is we do something dumb like three years with beaucoup incentives or ATL/others fall through with not enough over what we are offering to pull him away.

It literally tops out at 40M/year. No annual raises, no bonuses. He can not make more than 40M in any of the years on a new contract from us.

I don't understand that. WE can't sign him for more than that? Is there some rule preventing that or is it a team self imposed top end limit?

Yes. The CBA prevents it.

Some of the prorated bonuses ($6.25 million in 2023, 2024, and 2025) were left over from the 2022 extension of Cousins, while the remaining $4 million per year was from the 2023 restructure. All that void year money ($28.5 million) is set to count against Minnesota’s cap in 2024 unless Cousins were to sign another extension to stay in Minnesota, in which case they would simply tack onto a new deal’s cap hits in their respective years.

But there is a catch. Those base salaries in 2024-2027, which are effectively dummy numbers that will never be paid, set a cap for a possible future extension. Per the CBA, a player cannot sign a new deal that includes a raise within a year of signing another deal. Cousins’ new deal is, on paper, a 5-year, $200-million deal ($40 million APY), with a $20 million signing bonus (and $180 million in paragraph 5 base salaries), a mark that cannot be exceeded should he sign a deal to remain in Minnesota before the 2024 league year.
Post #: 8480
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 12:08:26 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1m
@RapSheet

That tracks. Greenard had a very solid year last year after missing over half of 2022 with injuries...
Post #: 8481
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 12:10:39 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1m
@RapSheet

That tracks. Greenard had a very solid year last year after missing over half of 2022 with injuries...

They say that his skills lend themselves to Flores' system well. Supposedly good against the run as well as a good passrusher. I read it's a four year deal at $76 million with $42 million guaranteed so really like a three year $25 million / year. Seems like a good signing?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 8482
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 12:22:46 PM   
fmaltes

He is a good signing and will be solid with two negatives--his injury history and also he has played with great players around him. I do not think he is a generational talent like Hunter. Now, if they also sign Hunter then we are talking about a real deal.
Post #: 8483
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 12:23:23 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Some of the prorated bonuses ($6.25 million in 2023, 2024, and 2025) were left over from the 2022 extension of Cousins, while the remaining $4 million per year was from the 2023 restructure. All that void year money ($28.5 million) is set to count against Minnesota’s cap in 2024 unless Cousins were to sign another extension to stay in Minnesota, in which case they would simply tack onto a new deal’s cap hits in their respective years.

But there is a catch. Those base salaries in 2024-2027, which are effectively dummy numbers that will never be paid, set a cap for a possible future extension. Per the CBA, a player cannot sign a new deal that includes a raise within a year of signing another deal. Cousins’ new deal is, on paper, a 5-year, $200-million deal ($40 million APY), with a $20 million signing bonus (and $180 million in paragraph 5 base salaries), a mark that cannot be exceeded should he sign a deal to remain in Minnesota before the 2024 league year.

Thanks for the explanation. I can't believe the NFLPA let that get into the CBA...but once KC gets to FA (which is now) if anyone really wants him more than us, then just have to offer him 40.1 mil this year.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 8484
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 12:26:45 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the explanation. I can't believe the NFLPA let that get into the CBA...but once KC gets to FA (which is now) if anyone really wants him more than us, then just have to offer him 40.1 mil this year.

By most accounts … Kirk is happy here. Another team would probably have to offer a decent bump IMO over what we’re offering.
Post #: 8485
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 12:30:38 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

By most accounts … Kirk is happy here. Another team would probably have to offer a decent bump IMO over what we’re offering.

But he's never taken a discount. I have little reason to believe that would change now. And Atlanta, his top suitor outside of the Vikings, is flush with cap space and Cousins wife is from there..

I have a very strong feeling he's gone.

But maybe i'm wrong. wouldn't be the first time.

Post #: 8486
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 12:37:28 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But he's never taken a discount. I have little reason to believe that would change now. And Atlanta, his top suitor outside of the Vikings, is flush with cap space and Cousins wife is from there..

Kirk took 6 million less from us than the Jets offered. He has taken a discount.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8487
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 12:42:13 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kirk took 6 million less from us than the Jets offered. He has taken a discount.

The Jets deal was more total money, but the Vikings guaranteed 100% of the money on their offer. He really didn't take less.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8488
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 12:47:33 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with everything you’re saying. ATL seems poised to offer more.

I want Cousins gone. Badly.

Instead of just being happy he’s leaving, ironically, it irks me that all of our over-spending on KC counts for nothing … he is just leveraging our max offer for more money elsewhere. LOL.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/11/2024 12:49:02 PM >
Post #: 8489
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 12:49:42 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Cousins is going to stay put…family likes it here, family man, paul bunyan, done deal….

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8490
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 1:02:44 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1m
@RapSheet

They say that his skills lend themselves to Flores' system well. Supposedly good against the run as well as a good passrusher. I read it's a four year deal at $76 million with $42 million guaranteed so really like a three year $25 million / year. Seems like a good signing?

This seems like a balanced take:

Positives: Greenard basically matched Hunter in PFF score at 78 and had 14 sacks versus Hunter's 18 in 374 fewer snaps. PFF also forecast Greenard getting 4/$76M. He's 2.5 years younger than Hunter.

Negatives: Greenard's RAS score was 5.53 versus Hunter's 9.88. He's played 265, 413, 285, and 632 snaps versus Hunter's 882, 384 (injury in 2021), 906, 1006.

You could say Greenard as a 3rd Round pick needed 3 years to develop and be injury-free. And maybe he still has more that can be developed. Losing Hunter's 900 snaps/season though is going to be a blow. Every-down dudes are valuable.
Post #: 8491
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 1:04:20 PM   
David Levine

Solid depth signings:

Numerous sources are reporting that the Vikings have re-signed offensive linemen David Quessenberry and Blake Brandel before they could hit free agency. It’s reportedly a 1-year, $2 million deal for Quessenberry, while the terms of Brandel’s deal have not yet been disclosed.
Post #: 8492
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 1:27:36 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1m
@RapSheet

This seems like a balanced take:

Positives: Greenard basically matched Hunter in PFF score at 78 and had 14 sacks versus Hunter's 18 in 374 fewer snaps. PFF also forecast Greenard getting 4/$76M. He's 2.5 years younger than Hunter.

Negatives: Greenard's RAS score was 5.53 versus Hunter's 9.88. He's played 265, 413, 285, and 632 snaps versus Hunter's 882, 384 (injury in 2021), 906, 1006.

You could say Greenard as a 3rd Round pick needed 3 years to develop and be injury-free. And maybe he still has more that can be developed. Losing Hunter's 900 snaps/season though is going to be a blow. Every-down dudes are valuable.

I was just re-reading my post and I made a mistake. The deal will play out like a 3 year $19 million per year. I forgot to subtract out the non-guaranteed money. Also I should point out that I don't know what amount is in the final year (assuming the final year contains no guaranteed money). I picked $20 million out of thin air.

Post #: 8493
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 1:32:04 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Cousins is going to stay put…family likes it here, family man, paul bunyan, done deal….

No.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 8494
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 1:32:38 PM   
marty

Cousins just signed with the Falcons, 4 year deal, saw it on the FA tracker !!!

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 8495
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 1:36:03 PM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Cousins just signed with the Falcons, 4 year deal, saw it on the FA tracker !!!

Hallelujah!!!!

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 8496
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 1:36:11 PM   
Tom Sykes

👍👍👍👍👍👍
Post #: 8497
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 1:39:27 PM   
Tom Sykes

Signed an edge, moved on from Cousins (even if it wasnt by choice).

I’m so relieved I’m even willing to cut the regime a little slack this offseason and see what happens.

Not a lot, just a little.
Post #: 8498
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 1:40:13 PM   
Murph

I can't freakin wait for the draft now!!!

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 8499
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 1:43:08 PM   
Ricky J

There ya go!

It's over!
Post #: 8500
Page:   <<   < prev  338 339 [340] 341 342   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  338 339 [340] 341 342   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode