Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 5:24:52 PM   
twinsfan

Mauer made it by 4 votes. Wagner missed by 5.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 326
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 5:24:55 PM  1 votes
David Levine

Joe made it by 4 votes (76.1%)
Wagner missed by 5 (73.8)
Post #: 327
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 5:25:22 PM  1 votes
David Levine

Post #: 328
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 5:28:58 PM   
David Levine

How did anyone not vote for Beltré?
Post #: 329
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 5:30:19 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

How did anyone not vote for Beltré?

Was never one of the Top 5 players in baseball.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 330
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 5:44:55 PM  1 votes
Ricky J

Feeling real good about Joe getting in first time!
Post #: 331
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 6:18:44 PM  1 votes
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Feeling real good about Joe getting in first time!

Congrats!!! Class individual and one heck of a Catcher! The man could hit!!!!!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 332
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 6:43:28 PM  1 votes
djskillz

Hows it going boys? Any Twins news?

(Seriously I hope all is well)

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 333
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 6:56:47 PM  1 votes
Pete M.

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

I hear a certain St. Paul native son made the Hall of Fame on the first ballot?
Post #: 334
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 7:09:03 PM  5 votes
djskillz

No way. Surely those that know baseball around the nation would never allow that. I was told he would never have a chance at getting in, let alone first ballot and countless national stories and peers tell tales of his greatness.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 335
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 10:32:57 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

It's time for 80% of this board to eat crow. Every metric on earth says Joe Mauer is a HOFer. And now he is an elite FIRST BALLOT HOFer. One of the Top 10 catchers of all-time. And...get this...only the THIRD catcher ever to get in on first ballot (Bench and Rodriguez are the only others). A majority of you were wrong and I'm going to point it out right now. I give you an opportunity for a mea culpa, or just keep being belligerent and sour. Whatever suits you.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 336
RE: Twins off-season - 1/23/2024 11:59:27 PM  1 votes
Lynn G.

It's so weird. We have so little really good news in the Minnesota sports world, but on a day when we have some there are still people who are driven to be buzzkillers. Maybe it's part of their pathology of living through so many disappointments.

I had the opposite reaction. BECAUSE we have so many sports-related disappointments I cherished the fact that today brought really great news (oh, and the Wild won too). I know that some people just always look for a way to turn a happy moment into a sad one, but why do they have to share that pathology out loud (or in print)? I didn't pay any attention to the names of the posters who were the buzzkillers, because I actually didn't want to know who wrote them.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 337
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 7:06:59 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

No way. Surely those that know baseball around the nation would never allow that. I was told he would never have a chance at getting in, let alone first ballot and countless national stories and peers tell tales of his greatness.

Congratz to Joe. An obvious first ballot HoFer.

Mauer (first year): Catchers have won just seven batting titles in MLB history. Three of those belong to the Minnesota native and Twins lifer who also won three Gold Gloves and the 2009 American League MVP.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 338
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 7:11:15 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

It's time for 80% of this board to eat crow. Every metric on earth says Joe Mauer is a HOFer. And now he is an elite FIRST BALLOT HOFer. One of the Top 10 catchers of all-time. And...get this...only the THIRD catcher ever to get in on first ballot (Bench and Rodriguez are the only others). A majority of you were wrong and I'm going to point it out right now. I give you an opportunity for a mea culpa, or just keep being belligerent and sour. Whatever suits you.

I'm with you 100%.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 339
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 7:14:50 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

It's so weird. We have so little really good news in the Minnesota sports world, but on a day when we have some there are still people who are driven to be buzzkillers. Maybe it's part of their pathology of living through so many disappointments.

I had the opposite reaction. BECAUSE we have so many sports-related disappointments I cherished the fact that today brought really great news (oh, and the Wild won too). I know that some people just always look for a way to turn a happy moment into a sad one, but why do they have to share that pathology out loud (or in print)? I didn't pay any attention to the names of the posters who were the buzzkillers, because I actually didn't want to know who wrote them.

Or maybe it's a simple case that some of us simply don't believe his career merited the HOF and we get branded as buzz killers for having an opinion contrary to the herd.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 340
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 7:40:00 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Weird that you say that. We are the biggest fans of Mauer. Seen him play basketball and football. Baseball was probably his 2nd best sport. The disappointment isn't that he is in the Hall but what could of been. 3 elite years and 3 great years. 0 championships....people will forget about him where they won't about Kirby, Viola, Blyleven and Jack/Tapani/Erickson/Gladden because of the championships they brought. I can remember our third pitcher from 1987 and 1991 because they brought us championships....in 30 years will you remember specific games about Mauer?

Do you think he maximized his potential like Kirby?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/24/2024 7:51:51 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 341
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 7:58:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

Speaking about Mauer the only vivid memories I have are when he started the season out most of the first month in one of the last seasons in the Metrodome and came out the next month just on fire. Compare that to the heroics of 87 and 91 WS....Hrbek grand slam and wrestling move on 1st, Puckett catch, Larkin tagging and scoring the winning run, Jack shutting them out for 10.

Maybe you were just too young then Matt.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 342
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:01:03 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Weird that you say that. We are the biggest fans of Mauer. Seen him play basketball and football. Baseball was probably his 2nd best sport. The disappointment isn't that he is in the Hall but what could of been. 3 elite years and 3 great years. 0 championships....people will forget about him where they won't about Kirby, Viola, Blyleven and Jack/Tapani/Erickson/Gladden because of the championships they brought. I can remember our third pitcher from 1987 and 1991 because they brought us championships....in 30 years will you remember specific games about Mauer?

No, he is far from Kirby's level.

Joe was very talented but he had none of Kirby's fire.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 343
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:03:44 AM   
bstinger

Congrats on the Hall Joe, wish you would've won something.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 344
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:35:38 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Who is this guy?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 345
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:35:56 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

quote:

I hear a certain St. Paul native son made the Hall of Fame on the first ballot?

And this guy????

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 346
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:36:38 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I'm with you 100%.

Are you apologizing to me?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 347
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:38:05 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Or maybe it's a simple case that some of us simply don't believe his career merited the HOF and we get branded as buzz killers for having an opinion contrary to the herd.

I propose we penalize Sweeney by taking away his Admin title for 3 days.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 348
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:40:58 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

I'll remember when he drove in the winning run vs the Yankees in the playoffs, but the ump ruled it foul, which is not Mauer's fault at all.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 349
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:45:42 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

I propose we penalize Sweeney by taking away his Admin title for 3 days.

Oh no. Not that

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 350
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode