Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 1/8/2024 10:21:17 AM   
twinsfan

It might be a good time to bring Gary Sanchez back. We could use a solid backup assuming Vazquez is dealt.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 276
RE: Twins off-season - 1/8/2024 10:22:53 AM   
twinsfan

If we trade Polanco, the Twins may consider signing Tim Anderson to a 1-year deal.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 277
RE: Twins off-season - 1/8/2024 11:40:05 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

If we trade Polanco, the Twins may consider signing Tim Anderson to a 1-year deal.

Why? We have SS and 2B already. Julien isn't going anywhere and we have Lewis, Correa, and Brooks Lee that can play SS.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 278
RE: Twins off-season - 1/8/2024 12:06:43 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Why? We have SS and 2B already. Julien isn't going anywhere and we have Lewis, Correa, and Brooks Lee that can play SS.

To play 2B when Julien is at DH. Or a late-game defensive replacement for Julien.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 279
RE: Twins off-season - 1/8/2024 2:35:43 PM   
Trekgeekscott

I am sick of the inaction. I am frustrated with the silence. I am infuriated with the bullshit we can't spend because we don't have a TV deal excuse.

1. You will have a TV deal at some point soon.
2. You could have a better deal if you were TRYING to put a competitive team on the field. Networks will pay more for teams the people want to watch. Teams that try to win every stinking year.

Enough bullshit Pohlads, I've been a fan for over 40 years and you are on the verge of losing me.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 1/8/2024 2:48:55 PM >

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 280
RE: Twins off-season - 1/8/2024 3:11:50 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott
I am sick of the inaction. I am frustrated with the silence. I am infuriated with the bullshit we can't spend because we don't have a TV deal excuse.
2. You could have a better deal if you were TRYING to put a competitive team on the field. Networks will pay more for teams the people want to watch. Teams that try to win every stinking year.
Enough bullshit Pohlads, I've been a fan for over 40 years and you are on the verge of losing me.

As bad as the Twins are; the LAD have outspent everyone else in hotstove this year after the Teoscar contract. I either read or heard the Dodgers are at 1.1 billion; the rest are at 1.05 Billion. If my math is correct that is in the 30 million dollar range which our Twins have about 28 million left to catch (that doesn't include the over 30 million in salary that they won't replace from Sony, Gallo, Pagan, and Maeda)

Post #: 281
RE: Twins off-season - 1/8/2024 3:17:24 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

As bad as the Twins are; the LAD have outspent everyone else in hotstove this year after the Teoscar contract. I either read or heard the Dodgers are at 1.1 billion; the rest are at 1.05 Billion. If my math is correct that is in the 30 million dollar range which our Twins have about 28 million left to catch (that doesn't include the over 30 million in salary that they won't replace from Sony, Gallo, Pagan, and Maeda)

The Dodgers are doing this year what the Mets did last year. And I would be just fine with the Dodgers imploding like the Mets did in 2023. The Rangers seem to be on pace to have a rotation that costs more than the entire Twins roster. MLB has let spending get completely out of control. Big market teams, more than ever can outspend any of the smaller market teams. Smaller market teams have virtually no chance of building a competitive roster and keeping their biggest stars for anything more than a couple years. Baseball needs 100% revenue sharing between the teams on everything broadcast including radio, TV etc. They need a salary system that allows All teams to compete for the best players and one that forces all teams to put a competitive team on the field.

Even though they make the playoffs from time to time, teams like the Twins, Tigers, Royals, Rockies, Pirates, A's etc have effectively been development league teams for the Yankees, Redsox, Dodgers, Giants. Braves and now Rangers and Mets.

Significant change needs to happen. soon. or some teams will start claiming bankruptcy...I think the Padres might be close just trying to compete in their own division.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 1/8/2024 3:19:42 PM >

Post #: 282
RE: Twins off-season - 1/8/2024 4:02:28 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

No way.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 283
RE: Twins off-season - 1/8/2024 4:03:39 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Dodgers are doing this year what the Mets did last year. And I would be just fine with the Dodgers imploding like the Mets did in 2023. The Rangers seem to be on pace to have a rotation that costs more than the entire Twins roster. MLB has let spending get completely out of control. Big market teams, more than ever can outspend any of the smaller market teams. Smaller market teams have virtually no chance of building a competitive roster and keeping their biggest stars for anything more than a couple years. Baseball needs 100% revenue sharing between the teams on everything broadcast including radio, TV etc. They need a salary system that allows All teams to compete for the best players and one that forces all teams to put a competitive team on the field.

Even though they make the playoffs from time to time, teams like the Twins, Tigers, Royals, Rockies, Pirates, A's etc have effectively been development league teams for the Yankees, Redsox, Dodgers, Giants. Braves and now Rangers and Mets.

Significant change needs to happen. soon. or some teams will start claiming bankruptcy...I think the Padres might be close just trying to compete in their own division.

Maybe you should apply to be the next commissioner? You have some fantastic ideas.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 284
RE: Twins off-season - 1/8/2024 4:30:26 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

You do know that there is a main reason their isn't a salary cap....that 4-6 weeks of ST is basically off of the books. The owners would rather not have the salary cap then share what they make during ST.....

Post #: 285
RE: Twins off-season - 1/9/2024 8:16:31 AM   
twinsfan

Why doesn't anyone want to sign Blake Snell?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 286
RE: Twins off-season - 1/9/2024 8:18:16 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

people do.

But he walks too many people and wants too much money. Now, he's a Free agent, and reigning Cy Young award winner. but teams are balking at giving him Sherzer and deGrom type money which is likely what his agents are asking for.

Post #: 287
RE: Twins off-season - 1/9/2024 8:57:48 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

people do.

But he walks too many people and wants too much money. Now, he's a Free agent, and reigning Cy Young award winner. but teams are balking at giving him Sherzer and deGrom type money which is likely what his agents are asking for.

He'll be forced to walk fewer people with the electronic K zone. When is that coming to MLB?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 288
RE: Twins off-season - 1/9/2024 8:59:19 AM   
twinsfan

I think it's collusion.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 289
RE: Twins off-season - 1/9/2024 9:40:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I think it's collusion.

He has had 2 great years....the rest?

Sonny is actually more consistent.

Post #: 290
RE: Twins off-season - 1/9/2024 9:42:35 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

I think it's collusion.

I think it's hard to claim collusion when players are being signed for $700million

Snell will get his. It's only a matter of time. I would guess Giants or Yankees.

but that's only a guess.

Post #: 291
RE: Twins off-season - 1/9/2024 9:44:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I think it's collusion.

I think it's hard to claim collusion when players are being signed for $700million
Snell will get his. It's only a matter of time. I would guess Giants or Yankees.
but that's only a guess.

It is collusion but not the one you think....Boras is running the show as much as the clubs.

Post #: 292
RE: Twins off-season - 1/9/2024 12:39:52 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it's collusion.

but that's only a guess.

It is collusion but not the one you think....Boras is running the show as much as the clubs.

Phil, all you do is disagree with everyone.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 293
RE: Twins off-season - 1/9/2024 3:27:13 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it's collusion.

but that's only a guess.

Phil, all you do is disagree with everyone.

Gallo and Correa last year just on the Twins.

This year:
The Boras Corporation represents some of the most intriguing free agents in this current field, including Cody Bellinger, Blake Snell, Matt Chapman, Jordan Montgomery and star South Korean outfielder Jung Ho Lee.

Again there is Boras Collusion; only Lee of those clients listed has signed because he gets 45 days after posting.

Other Twins with Boras as an agent: Royce Lewis, Austin Martin, Ryan Jeffers, Alex Kirilloff, Chris Paddack, and Nick Gordon

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/9/2024 3:51:55 PM >

Post #: 294
RE: Twins off-season - 1/11/2024 11:01:24 AM   
twinsfan

https://www.mlb.com/news/predicting-world-series-winners-through-2033

These teams will win the next 10 World Series

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 295
RE: Twins off-season - 1/11/2024 11:54:42 AM   
twinsfan

The Twins have settled with Thielbar ($3.225 million) and Jeffers ($2.425 million) to avoid arbitration.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 296
RE: Twins off-season - 1/13/2024 11:21:32 AM   
Mark Anderson

Marlins open to Arraez trade.

Somebody alert Hoiseth.
Post #: 297
RE: Twins off-season - 1/15/2024 10:26:06 AM   
TJSweens

Twins add to international scouting staff, slated to sign top prospect

Bobby Nightengale, Star Tribune
Mon, Jan 15, 2024, 1:29 AM EST·4 min read

Jan. 15 isn't a date that carries much significance for many baseball fans, but it's a day that carries massive ramifications for all 30 teams.

It's the beginning of a new international signing period, and most top prospects sign with clubs on the first day. The Twins' list of expected signees is headlined by Dominican shortstop Daiber De Los Santos (ranked as the eighth-best player in the signing class by MLB.com), Dominican outfielder Eduardo Beltre (ranked No. 39) and Venezuelan catcher Victor Leal Jr.

Most international prospects sign at 16 or 17 years old, and it takes many of them a few years before they reach Class A in the minor leagues. It's a high-risk, high-reward area of scouting — attempting to project which players will make the majors when they're the equivalent of high school sophomores — but there are years such as 2009 when the Twins added Max Kepler, Jorge Polanco and Miguel Sanó in the same signing class.

The Twins had a major change to their international scouting department when Fred Guerrero, their director of Latin America scouting, departed after nearly two decades in the organization. The Twins brought in Roman Barinas from the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"A lot of teams have access to the same information," Barinas said. "Your competitive advantage ends up becoming how to use that information or who can digest and make the best use of it. I think in the international world, there are still some questions as to what is the good information, and what are the things we need to go out and try to figure out. I think that's where there are a lot of opportunities to do things differently and have an impact."

Derek Falvey, the Twins president of baseball operations, says the Twins aren't necessarily overhauling their international strategy with Barinas. They adjusted their approach over the past two years with assistant general manager Daniel Adler overseeing international scouting and hiring Kevin Goldstein as a special assistant after he worked with the Houston Astros.

Barinas was recommended by several members of the front office who have Dodgers connections.

"It's already been a really nice fit," Falvey said. "He integrates well with our scouts. He knows the markets. He knows the dynamics. He's spent plenty of time in Latin America. It's been a really good setup."

Beyond Barinas' duties leading the scouting staff in Latin America, he will maintain an active role in player development at the Twins' complex in the Dominican Republic. It's one thing to scout a pitcher, for example, and think how much he could improve with a small tweak. The Twins need their coaches to agree that the changes can be implemented.

"We're talking about projecting them to what we hope they will be in five to 10 years," Barinas said. "I think you really have to have an eye on the player development side and how you envision their path forward. For me, that's definitely helpful to bring it together."

Said Falvey: "If we acquire that player, he comes in and [player development staff] is like, 'sorry, we can't make that change,' then we've missed. We're doing that at the pro, amateur, and now, international level in a really, I think, effective way, and Roman's had that experience in Los Angeles, too."

The Twins are allotted $6.52 million to spend on international free agents this year. FanGraphs reported De Los Santos will sign for around $1.9 million and Beltre will receive a $1.5 million bonus.

De Los Santos, listed at 6-1, 160 pounds, is considered an electric athlete. He possesses a huge arm, good speed and quick bat speed. He's not as polished as a hitter, though, and the primary question surrounding him is whether he can improve his plate discipline.

Beltre is more of a power athlete. Listed at 5-11, 170 pounds, he displays big power when he pulls the ball, but the key will be watching how his swing develops against better pitching. He currently has the speed for center, but he does have a strong enough arm to move to a corner outfield spot.

Leal is a righthanded hitter with a strong arm and good leadership skills that give confidence he can remain behind the plate. Baseball America noted he has good strike zone judgment for his age.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 298
RE: Twins off-season - 1/15/2024 1:06:25 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Somebody alert Hoiseth.

I wonder if they'd take Pablo Lopez straight-up?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 299
RE: Twins off-season - 1/16/2024 9:43:17 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Somebody alert Hoiseth.

I wonder if they'd take Pablo Lopez straight-up?

We didn't.

So why would they?

Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode