Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:46:20 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Speaking about Mauer the only vivid memories I have are when he started the season out most of the first month in one of the last seasons in the Metrodome and came out the next month just on fire. Compare that to the heroics of 87 and 91 WS....Hrbek grand slam and wrestling move on 1st, Puckett catch, Larkin tagging and scoring the winning run, Jack shutting them out for 10.

Maybe you were just too young then Matt.

Larkin didn't score the winning run.

Gladden did. Larkin drove him in.

"The same people who voted for him because "he says what he means" are arguing he didn't mean what he said."
Post #: 351
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:51:41 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

It's time for 80% of this board to eat crow. Every metric on earth says Joe Mauer is a HOFer. And now he is an elite FIRST BALLOT HOFer. One of the Top 10 catchers of all-time. And...get this...only the THIRD catcher ever to get in on first ballot (Bench and Rodriguez are the only others). A majority of you were wrong and I'm going to point it out right now. I give you an opportunity for a mea culpa, or just keep being belligerent and sour. Whatever suits you.

Nope. I don't agree on his worthiness for the hall. Just because a bunch of writers, who currently are completely overwhelmed by all the modern fancy shmansy Analytics voted for Mauer doesn't mean i have to agree or that I am wrong. I just have a differing opinion. Neither the fact that he's elected to the Hall, nor on the first ballot even vindicates your opinion or disavows mine. It's called an opinion for a reason.

I congratulate Joe Mauer for getting enshrined. At his peak I loved him, (except for his annoying habit of always watching the first two pitches go by). He made his mark and writers were impressed by him.

I just don't think the entirety of his career justified enshrinement. But good for him anyway.

"The same people who voted for him because "he says what he means" are arguing he didn't mean what he said."
Post #: 352
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:52:25 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

It's so weird. We have so little really good news in the Minnesota sports world, but on a day when we have some there are still people who are driven to be buzzkillers. Maybe it's part of their pathology of living through so many disappointments.

I had the opposite reaction. BECAUSE we have so many sports-related disappointments I cherished the fact that today brought really great news (oh, and the Wild won too). I know that some people just always look for a way to turn a happy moment into a sad one, but why do they have to share that pathology out loud (or in print)? I didn't pay any attention to the names of the posters who were the buzzkillers, because I actually didn't want to know who wrote them.

Or maybe it's a simple case that some of us simply don't believe his career merited the HOF and we get branded as buzz killers for having an opinion contrary to the herd.

exactly.

Post #: 353
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:54:31 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

It's so weird. We have so little really good news in the Minnesota sports world, but on a day when we have some there are still people who are driven to be buzzkillers. Maybe it's part of their pathology of living through so many disappointments.

I had the opposite reaction. BECAUSE we have so many sports-related disappointments I cherished the fact that today brought really great news (oh, and the Wild won too). I know that some people just always look for a way to turn a happy moment into a sad one, but why do they have to share that pathology out loud (or in print)? I didn't pay any attention to the names of the posters who were the buzzkillers, because I actually didn't want to know who wrote them.

Or maybe it's a simple case that some of us simply don't believe his career merited the HOF and we get branded as buzz killers for having an opinion contrary to the herd.

I propose we penalize Sweeney by taking away his Admin title for 3 days.

Why?

I know you're just being facetious but suggesting penalizing someone just because they have a different opinion than you is very Trumpish.

Post #: 354
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 8:56:47 AM   
twinsfan

Once in a lifetime. Literally, once in everyone's lifetime, going back to whenever the first HOF opened (1936?).

Joe Mauer of the Twins is the first player in MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL history to be drafted No. 1 overall by a team from his birth state/province, play 15+ seasons for that team and reach the Hall of Fame.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 355
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 9:02:48 AM   
twinsfan

I called it. As they were playing the open to PA's show, I said to myself....I bet he starts with the Wild today, the day after Joe Mauer makes the HOF. Interview with John Hynes. PA is an incompetent sports radio host.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 356
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 9:07:32 AM   
twinsfan

I remember when Mauer suited up and took the field one last time in the catcher's gear.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 357
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 9:08:43 AM   
twinsfan

I remember Mauer's final swing in the majors. An opposite-field double.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 358
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 9:10:15 AM   
twinsfan

I remember when Mauer blindly backhanded a wild pitch that caromed off the backstop without getting out of his crouch.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 359
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 9:14:04 AM   
twinsfan

Johnny Bench
@JohnnyBench_5

The @Twins invited me to his number retirement, now he’s invited to join me on the @Otesaga
porch. Welcoming the the newest catcher in the @baseballhall, Joe Mauer. Congratulations!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 360
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 9:29:48 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I remember when Mauer suited up and took the field one last time in the catcher's gear.

How many years ago was that? I remember 1987 homer hankies and Kirby bat day in the early 80s.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 361
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 9:40:40 AM   
twinsfan

Joe came to the plate nearly 8,000 times in his career. He hit only 31 infield pop-ups. Always on top of the ball, driving it somewhere.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 362
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 9:42:35 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Joe came to the plate nearly 8,000 times in his career. He hit only 31 infield pop-ups. Always on top of the ball, driving it somewhere.

Or grounding it somewhere.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 363
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 10:44:35 AM   
David Levine

I remember when Mauer batted .365 with 28 HRs, won MVP and got a massive contract.

I remember him never batting higher than .327 or hitting more than 11 HRs in a season again.

What could have been...
Post #: 364
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 10:49:14 AM   
bstinger

quote:

That was an awesome moment.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 365
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 10:51:17 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

I remember when Mauer batted .365 with 28 HRs, won MVP and got a massive contract.

I remember him never batting higher than .327 or hitting more than 11 HRs in a season again.

What could have been...

Target field should have been designed to take advantage of Joe's strengths. How many warning track fly balls did he hit to LF at target field that would've cleared the wall in the dome?

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 366
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 11:02:42 AM   
twinsfan

Joey Votto may be signing with the Twins.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 367
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 11:04:11 AM   
twinsfan

Joey Votto
@JoeyVotto

On first base at Target Field during a game, I turn to Joe. 'Used to watch your batting vids every day after school' I tell him. Joe smiles and responds, 'That's incredibly generous of you, thank you!' At 34 years old, I was starstruck meeting him. Now, he's HOF! Congrats, Joe!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 368
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 11:15:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I would rather have Miranda and Kirilloff platoon.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 369
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 11:20:28 AM   
twinsfan

https://twitter.com/LetsTalk_Twins/status/1749961580068872203

It's a lot dusty in here.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 370
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 11:40:51 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

That was an awesome moment.

I was at that game

Post #: 371
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 11:46:42 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

I would rather have Miranda and Kirilloff platoon.

If they can stay healthy that is.

Votto would probably play more DH and offer another truly veteran presence on the bench for a relatively young lineup. Not sure about the wisdom of signing Votto, but if they do, it should be better than Joey Gallo.

Post #: 372
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 11:49:53 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

https://twitter.com/LetsTalk_Twins/status/1749961580068872203

It's a lot dusty in here.

Just a great human being and a remarkable baseball player. Never a doubt in my mind that he was worthy to be in the HOF!!!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 373
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 11:59:34 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Speaking about Mauer the only vivid memories I have are when he started the season out most of the first month in one of the last seasons in the Metrodome and came out the next month just on fire. Compare that to the heroics of 87 and 91 WS....Hrbek grand slam and wrestling move on 1st, Puckett catch, Larkin tagging and scoring the winning run, Jack shutting them out for 10.

Maybe you were just too young then Matt.

Larkin didn't score the winning run.

Gladden did. Larkin drove him in.

And Gladden set up the whole inning by hustling a bloop single into a double. That was some real, forgotten heroics. Larkin did what he needed to do so give him credit, but he just needed an outfield fly. It was all made possible by Gladden.

https://youtu.be/YoL2QZLis3o?si=tT-q7B4OSNgG8doU

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 1/24/2024 12:03:34 PM >
Post #: 374
RE: Twins off-season - 1/24/2024 12:07:19 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Joey Votto
@JoeyVotto

On first base at Target Field during a game, I turn to Joe. 'Used to watch your batting vids every day after school' I tell him. Joe smiles and responds, 'That's incredibly generous of you, thank you!' At 34 years old, I was starstruck meeting him. Now, he's HOF! Congrats, Joe!

Did Joe make batting videos as a kid?
Post #: 375
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode