Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 2/21/2024 10:41:15 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Somehow may end up ok...Ober, Ryan can maybe get to #2 status and Festa and Raya in the minors are looking good plus there is a slight chance the SP we got on the cheap from Seattle could hold up and revisit his 2021 season.

These are all key elements of the Twins strategy of hope.

Ryan and Ober are the keys to the whole strategy. Ryan was cruising along and looking like someone who could even garner some Cy Young votes through his complete game shutout. Then it all fell apart. The claim is that Ryan pulled his groin warming up for the Atlanta game and hid it from the team through several starts, while he tried to push through it. The injury allegedly caused a change in his mechanics that flattened out his off-speed pitches, turning them into perpetual gopher balls. Worth noting, his fastball continued to be one of the biggest swing and miss pitches in baseball.

Ober was having a similar season to Ryan. Just cruising until he hit the wall...hard. He pitched 165 innings last year after only pitching 72 the year before. His previous high for innings pitched in a season was 108.

The Twins HOPE Ryan's problems were 100% due to his groing injury and another off-season trip to the pitching academy will improve his secondary pitches.

The Twins HOPE Ober will be up to the workload of a full major league season now that he has reached a high triple digit level and won't fade late.

The Twins HOPE DeSclafini will regain a pre-injury form from 3 or so years ago.

The Twins Hope that Varland (with the additional relievers I now agree that Varland at AAA may happen) or SWR will stretch out and be ready in case DeSclafini proves to be another scrap heap, rag arm failure.

Nothing wrong with being hopeful.

Especially if they had added a surefire #2 on top of the hopefuls.

That would have been great.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 576
RE: Twins off-season - 2/21/2024 11:28:12 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Somehow may end up ok...Ober, Ryan can maybe get to #2 status and Festa and Raya in the minors are looking good plus there is a slight chance the SP we got on the cheap from Seattle could hold up and revisit his 2021 season.

These are all key elements of the Twins strategy of hope.

Ryan and Ober are the keys to the whole strategy. Ryan was cruising along and looking like someone who could even garner some Cy Young votes through his complete game shutout. Then it all fell apart. The claim is that Ryan pulled his groin warming up for the Atlanta game and hid it from the team through several starts, while he tried to push through it. The injury allegedly caused a change in his mechanics that flattened out his off-speed pitches, turning them into perpetual gopher balls. Worth noting, his fastball continued to be one of the biggest swing and miss pitches in baseball.

Ober was having a similar season to Ryan. Just cruising until he hit the wall...hard. He pitched 165 innings last year after only pitching 72 the year before. His previous high for innings pitched in a season was 108.

The Twins HOPE Ryan's problems were 100% due to his groing injury and another off-season trip to the pitching academy will improve his secondary pitches.

The Twins HOPE Ober will be up to the workload of a full major league season now that he has reached a high triple digit level and won't fade late.

The Twins HOPE DeSclafini will regain a pre-injury form from 3 or so years ago.

The Twins Hope that Varland (with the additional relievers I now agree that Varland at AAA may happen) or SWR will stretch out and be ready in case DeSclafini proves to be another scrap heap, rag arm failure.

Nothing wrong with being hopeful.

Especially if they had added a surefire #2 on top of the hopefuls.

That would have been great.

So your BS spiel about having cable....do you still believe your opinion? Pretty sure it isn't fact.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 577
RE: Twins off-season - 2/21/2024 11:38:27 AM   
Phil Riewer

Maybe Ill go see a St. Paul Saints game this year....$27 for a great seat and hoodie on March 29th.

I bet you can actually stream their games even if you can't get them on cable....hmm what an idea.

Post #: 578
RE: Twins off-season - 2/21/2024 1:55:33 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Regarding Pohlad's "Other ways to win" comment.

Yes there certainly are. But he presents a false dichotomy here. It suggests you either heavily emphasize things like scouting, analytics, player development to get better, or you just build your roster by throwing money at it.

Why not both?

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 2/21/2024 3:32:11 PM >
Post #: 579
RE: Twins off-season - 2/21/2024 2:48:00 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Regarding Poland's "Other ways to win" comment.

Yes there certainly are. But he presents a false dichotomy here. It suggests you either heavily emphasize things like scouting, analytics, player development to get better, or you just build your roster by throwing money at it.

Why not both?

I wonder if anyone countered Joe on being careful wanting to be the same as TB.....TB drew 550k fewer fans for attendance in 2023 in a year the Twins were disappointed with their attendance. You need excited fans and players that fans want to see....Santana, Topa, and Descini don't increase that needle.

Post #: 580
RE: Twins off-season - 2/21/2024 3:22:01 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Why not both?

I wonder if anyone countered Joe on being careful wanting to be the same as TB.....TB drew 550k fewer fans for attendance in 2023 in a year the Twins were disappointed with their attendance. You need excited fans and players that fans want to see....Santana, Topa, and Descini don't increase that needle.

I've said this dozens of times. You can't run a professional sports team like a normal business (bank). Especially in a place where there is heavy competition for your entertainment dollar. Minneapolis/St Paul have Every major sports league, A theater community that is second only to New York, a thriving music scene, fishing, camping, MOA, comedy clubs, etc etc etc. If you put a team that sucks on the field you can't expect people to show up. Cutting payroll says you don't care if the team sucks. Only the biggest diehards will keep coming. Why the hated Yankees do so well to begin with is they go all out to put a winner on the field because they know if your team is more likely to win, more people will come, more people will watch on TV, more people will listen on the radio. And that means a lot more revenue. The bankers don't seem to get that a sports team has to be a completely different business model to succeed continously.

Now I am not saying we should spend like the Yankees, but spend accordingly to be sure to have the best team on the field and not just base your model on hopes dreams and catching lightning in a bottle.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 581
RE: Twins off-season - 2/21/2024 4:30:51 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Why not both?

I've said this dozens of times. You can't run a professional sports team like a normal business (bank). Especially in a place where there is heavy competition for your entertainment dollar. Minneapolis/St Paul have Every major sports league, A theater community that is second only to New York, a thriving music scene, fishing, camping, MOA, comedy clubs, etc etc etc. If you put a team that sucks on the field you can't expect people to show up. Cutting payroll says you don't care if the team sucks. Only the biggest diehards will keep coming. Why the hated Yankees do so well to begin with is they go all out to put a winner on the field because they know if your team is more likely to win, more people will come, more people will watch on TV, more people will listen on the radio. And that means a lot more revenue. The bankers don't seem to get that a sports team has to be a completely different business model to succeed continously.

Now I am not saying we should spend like the Yankees, but spend accordingly to be sure to have the best team on the field and not just base your model on hopes dreams and catching lightning in a bottle.

+1
What % of NY have a real Yankee Jersey and multiple other outfits versus % of Twins fans.....I probably have two cheap T-Shirts, a golf shirt and nothing expensive that I have bought in many years since Santana and Mourneau.

LAD and NYY will make enough from apparel sold from the Yamamoto, Ohtani, and Soto signings to pay their salary.

Post #: 582
RE: Twins off-season - 2/22/2024 9:32:01 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why not both?

Exactly right. In this market especially, fair weather fans = smart fans. Discerning fans. People with actual lives. Support and respect have to earned.

Granted, this does not explain my 30+ year devotion to the Timberwolves, arguably the worst professional sports franchise of the era, but still…my point remains.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 2/22/2024 9:33:37 AM >
Post #: 583
RE: Twins off-season - 2/22/2024 9:44:23 AM   
twinsfan

Happy birthday DL!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 584
RE: Twins off-season - 2/22/2024 9:47:15 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why not both?

Toronto has a better theater community than Minneapolis/St Paul.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 585
RE: Twins off-season - 2/22/2024 9:57:26 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why not both?

Forget it. He’s rolling.
Post #: 586
RE: Twins off-season - 2/22/2024 10:05:21 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why not both?

I guess I should have specified IN the USA.

But my point remains....there is a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar. You can't put shit on the field and expect fans to keep showing up.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 587
RE: Twins off-season - 2/22/2024 12:30:40 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why not both?

I've heard the acting is horrible.
Post #: 588
RE: Twins off-season - 2/22/2024 12:42:50 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why not both?

I've heard the acting is horrible.

Their art galleries are terrible. The paintings are all done by number.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 589
RE: Twins off-season - 2/22/2024 5:32:23 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

I think the Wilf's actually want to win. They just don't know what the hell they are doing.

sadly, this is spot on

What was old is new again
Post #: 590
RE: Twins off-season - 2/23/2024 7:27:51 AM   
Phil Riewer

Examples of Media in the last day that isn't going to stand pat on payroll (who usually say nothing):

Aaron Gleeman
@AaronGleeman
Relative to the average MLB payroll, the Twins' current 2024 payroll is their lowest since the final season at the Metrodome in 2009.
Twins' payroll in 2009 was 74% of the MLB average.
Twins' current $124 million payroll is 75% of the $164 million MLB average, per FanGraphs.

Cody Pirkl
@CodyPirkl
The #MNTwins also have the 8th richest owner in the MLB by net worth, and Minnesota is the 15th largest market in the MLB.

Ted
@tlschwerz
The #MNTwins could’ve gone this route, but instead chose more money with
@BallySportsNOR
to spend less on the team.

Next year, they’ll get less money from broadcasting too…
Arizona Diamondbacks
@Dbacks
·
16h
Introducing http://DBACKS.TV!
Watch your reigning NL champs all season long for just $99.99: http://dbacks.com/watch

Post #: 591
RE: Twins off-season - 2/23/2024 7:28:30 AM   
Phil Riewer

Ted
@tlschwerz
Some context here:

The #Dbacks rights fees from
@BallySports
were $61.2M in 2023, about $6M more than the #MNTwins.

Bally defaulted on the final year of payment and don’t make them.

Now Arizona is offering a DTC streaming option at $99 month, making substantially less in rights fees.

They are projected to be north of $160M in payroll for 2024, up 13% from 2023 ($143M) and 66% from 2022 ($97.8M).

After a #WorldSeries run last year, they have an ownership group investing in a product despite growing revenue uncertainty.

Wish the Twins lived in that world.

Post #: 592
RE: Twins off-season - 2/23/2024 8:44:59 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Examples of Media in the last day that isn't going to stand pat on payroll (who usually say nothing):

Aaron Gleeman
@AaronGleeman
Relative to the average MLB payroll, the Twins' current 2024 payroll is their lowest since the final season at the Metrodome in 2009.
Twins' current $124 million payroll is 75% of the $164 million MLB average, per FanGraphs.

Cody Pirkl
@CodyPirkl
The #MNTwins also have the 8th richest owner in the MLB by net worth, and Minnesota is the 15th largest market in the MLB.

The 8th richest ownership group in baseball in the 15th largest market had their highest payroll ever last year. Falvine called it unprecedented in team history, yet it was only 17th in MLB last year. To recap...8th richest, 15th biggest, 17th highest payroll....and the Twins make it sound like that was beyond their means.

And this year they are 19th

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 593
RE: Twins off-season - 2/23/2024 9:47:08 AM   
Mister Ed

Twins took the less work/less resources / less money they had to spend route with TV
Arizona didn't want to wait for MLB Good for them

Twins will offer something similar next year when MLB offers it for more teams. Won't have to invest as much to prepare for it.

Post #: 594
RE: Twins off-season - 2/23/2024 9:49:25 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

The 8th richest ownership group in baseball in the 15th largest market had their highest payroll ever last year. Falvine called it unprecedented in team history, yet it was only 17th in MLB last year. To recap...8th richest, 15th biggest, 17th highest payroll....and the Twins make it sound like that was beyond their means.

And the new ownership Wolves has a winner Taylor would not have kept together
Apparently willing to spend the luxury tax
They'll make up for it with merch/ticket sales

Funny how that works with WINNING and a desire to do more than just put up another meaningless division title.

Post #: 595
RE: Twins off-season - 2/23/2024 10:16:07 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Aaron Gleeman
@AaronGleeman

Cody Pirkl
@CodyPirkl

Ted
@tlschwerz
@BallySportsNOR

Arizona Diamondbacks
@Dbacks
·
16h
Watch your reigning NL champs all season long for just $99.99: http://dbacks.com/watch

If Gleeman doesn't like the Twins anymore, there are plenty of other teams for him to follow.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 596
RE: Twins off-season - 2/23/2024 10:17:32 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Aaron Gleeman
@AaronGleeman

Cody Pirkl
@CodyPirkl

Ted
@tlschwerz
@BallySportsNOR

Arizona Diamondbacks
@Dbacks
·
16h

The Twins gave me a free subscription to MLB.tv, so I have access to every out-of-market game broadcast throughout the season. That's very generous.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 597
RE: Twins off-season - 2/23/2024 10:20:01 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Aaron Gleeman
@AaronGleeman

Cody Pirkl
@CodyPirkl

You know, for all this big talk, maybe if some of you put some skin in the game financially, the Twins would have the revenue needed to have bigger player payrolls. Go to some games. Buy some concessions. Buy tickets for family and friends as gifts.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 598
RE: Twins off-season - 2/23/2024 10:21:05 AM   
twinsfan

The Twins were great last year. Why was attendance relatively poor throughout the season? The fans need to invest in their team or they shouldn't be complaining.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 599
RE: Twins off-season - 2/23/2024 10:24:59 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

You know, for all this big talk, maybe if some of you put some skin in the game financially, the Twins would have the revenue needed to have bigger player payrolls. Go to some games. Buy some concessions. Buy tickets for family and friends as gifts.

Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode