Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 2/26/2024 2:10:09 PM   
Phil Riewer

Ted
@tlschwerz
·
4m
#Dodgers are said to be sending the #MNTwins $5.5 million with Manuel Margot, so this should be what the current payroll and Opening Day roster looks like.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 626
RE: Twins off-season - 2/26/2024 2:11:01 PM   
Phil Riewer

Ted
@tlschwerz
·
18m
And there’s your #MNTwins final bench player and backup centerfielder.

Post #: 627
RE: Twins off-season - 2/26/2024 2:58:08 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Not sure about this one:

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
·
1m
The Minnesota Twins are acquiring outfielder Manuel Margot from the Los Angeles Dodgers for shortstop Noah Miller, sources tell ESPN. Twins get outfield depth, Dodgers get relief from the $12 million owed Margot and a former comp-round pick. First on the deal:
@juanctoribio

Sounds like Miller is a bust and we get a decent platoon CF on a one year deal. And another prospect.

Horrible draft pick but it is what it is.
Post #: 628
RE: Twins off-season - 2/26/2024 3:47:20 PM   
Jeff Allen

Sad that the team felt the need to get Margot when they have Austin Martin on the roster. He's freaking 25 years old...play him! Margot does hit lefties better than righties, but he's not a lefty killer by any means. And if they don't get a #2 starter from somewhere...what is the point???
Post #: 629
RE: Twins off-season - 2/26/2024 3:58:35 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

Sad that the team felt the need to get Margot when they have Austin Martin on the roster. He's freaking 25 years old...play him! Margot does hit lefties better than righties, but he's not a lefty killer by any means. And if they don't get a #2 starter from somewhere...what is the point???

The POINT is you trade for that #2 starter near the trade deadline.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 630
RE: Twins off-season - 2/26/2024 4:13:27 PM   
Jeff Allen

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Can you read? I said IF they don't get a #2 starter from somewhere...what is the point??? I guess I needed to capitalize the word IF for you.
Post #: 631
RE: Twins off-season - 2/26/2024 4:37:48 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Can you read? I said IF they don't get a #2 starter from somewhere...what is the point??? I guess I needed to capitalize the word IF for you.

It didn't seem like you were willing to wait until the trade deadline.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 632
RE: Twins off-season - 2/26/2024 5:21:20 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

Ted
@tlschwerz
·
18m

Ted's crushed because they traded Miller

What was old is new again
Post #: 633
RE: Twins off-season - 2/26/2024 7:00:43 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

quote:

Ted
@tlschwerz
·
18m

That LA was willing to pay half his salary, throw in another prospect just to get a bust like Miller, tells you all you all you need to know about Margot.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 634
RE: Twins off-season - 2/26/2024 8:19:44 PM   
Jeff Allen

Miranda, Larnach, Austin Martin...see ya. The Minnesota Twins -- where prospects go to die.
Post #: 635
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 6:04:22 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

Miranda, Larnach, Austin Martin...see ya. The Minnesota Twins -- where prospects go to die.

Seems to be a disconnect between ownership/front office/dugout

At what point do you pinch pennies, then turn around and hunt for a backup CF and other backups because your coaching staff doesn't trust younger players. In a division that seemingly theirs to not screw up, Rocco wants his vets to back stuff up. Taylor and now Margot. Agreed Martin needs to swim or sink.

Lopped off Gordon because he was miscast as a CF option. And he didn't fulfill his #1 pick status. Larnach is on that path too.
Perhaps Martin gets the opp when Buxton goes down. Which he will. It's inevitable.

Post #: 636
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 7:17:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Ted
@tlschwerz
·
18m

He actually likes Margot and the player we got back....thinks it was a good trade. I don't like Margot....I think between Santana and Margot you had the money to grab a #2.

Post #: 637
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 7:20:55 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

I think between Santana and Margot you had the money to grab a #2.

and any money they actually spend on DeSclafini.

Agreed.

Post #: 638
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 7:22:49 AM   
Mister Ed

Could have Miranda work at first base
Santana may help, and I suspect he will, but why not Miranda at first vs lefties? OR better yet, work with Kirilloff so he's actually effective vs lefties?

Coach guys up.

Post #: 639
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 7:23:49 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Seems to be a disconnect between ownership/front office/dugout

At what point do you pinch pennies, then turn around and hunt for a backup CF and other backups because your coaching staff doesn't trust younger players. In a division that seemingly theirs to not screw up, Rocco wants his vets to back stuff up. Taylor and now Margot. Agreed Martin needs to swim or sink.

Lopped off Gordon because he was miscast as a CF option. And he didn't fulfill his #1 pick status. Larnach is on that path too.
Perhaps Martin gets the opp when Buxton goes down. Which he will. It's inevitable.

From what I read Margot is just above average speed wise....it may be some for the corners against lefties also.

I think Lee and Martin are just about ready.....another reason to question more the Santana move than the Margot trade. Maybe they think Santana has some Cruz potential with our lineup (compared to the Brewers and Pirates)?

Post #: 640
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 9:08:49 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Agreed.

Typical Twins. They would rather spend $5M a piece for 3 players to fill roles that could be filled in house, than spend $15-$20M on a player who would actually make an impact.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 641
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 9:36:45 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Santana may help, and I suspect he will, but why not Miranda at first vs lefties? OR better yet, work with Kirilloff so he's actually effective vs lefties?

Coach guys up.

Kiriloff doesn't hit lefties well. That being said, he can't get better at hitting against lefties if he never gets to hit against lefties.
There was a game last year right around when Kiriloff got called up. In his first three at bats the guy had 2 HRs and a double...and Rocco in is normal analytics induced stupor, pulled him for a pinch hitter. It's why I'd be more than ok if Rocco were to suddenly not be here anymore.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 2/27/2024 9:38:20 AM >

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 642
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 9:50:58 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Coach guys up.

Kiriloff doesn't hit lefties well. That being said, he can't get better at hitting against lefties if he never gets to hit against lefties.
There was a game last year right around when Kiriloff got called up. In his first three at bats the guy had 2 HRs and a double...and Rocco in is normal analytics induced stupor, pulled him for a pinch hitter. It's why I'd be more than ok if Rocco were to suddenly not be here anymore.

Wallner was the guy sent down.

Post #: 643
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 9:57:33 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Agreed.

Typical Twins. They would rather spend $5M a piece for 3 players to fill roles that could be filled in house, than spend $15-$20M on a player who would actually make an impact.

THIS

Post #: 644
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 10:04:25 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed.

THIS

It is so difficult to understand.

Post #: 645
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 10:06:02 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coach guys up.

We don't even know that Kirilloff can't hit lefties. In parts of 3 injury plagued seasons he has a whopping total of 157 plate appearances against left handed pitching. Through a good portion of that he was playing through chronic injuries.

As far as Margot, he is Michael Taylor without the defense. Taylor career OPS is .683. Margot career OPS .694.

I've seen enough of Austin Martin to know they guy runs like a deer and run down bullet hit to the gap with his back to the ball and make it look easy. After a season where the Twins succeeded in large part due to rookie contributions from Wallner, Julien and Lewis in the every day lineup, they couldn't at least take a good look at Martin as a bench player. They could have made this deal any time. Why not take a good at the guy in house first?

Post #: 646
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 10:29:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coach guys up.

We don't even know that Kirilloff can't hit lefties. In parts of 3 injury plagued seasons he has a whopping total of 157 plate appearances against left handed pitching. Through a good portion of that he was playing through chronic injuries.

As far as Margot, he is Michael Taylor without the defense. Taylor career OPS is .683. Margot career OPS .694.

I've seen enough of Austin Martin to know they guy runs like a deer and run down bullet hit to the gap with his back to the ball and make it look easy. After a season where the Twins succeeded in large part due to rookie contributions from Wallner, Julien and Lewis in the every day lineup, they couldn't at least take a good look at Martin as a bench player. They could have made this deal any time. Why not take a good at the guy in house first?

Someone mentioned it and it makes a lot of sense.....Rocco doesn't like small ball. They have a select few that they allow to do it (Castro for one) and Martin is a small ball guy who doesn't currently have Taylor/Margot power.

Santana also has more RH power than Miranda.

Main reason why I thought Miranda and Martin where going to be packaged for Burnes or a better Seattle starter....

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/27/2024 10:38:19 AM >

Post #: 647
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 10:58:15 AM   
TJSweens

Margot doesn't have any power. He has 52 HR in 788 games. For that matter, Taylor has 95 in 9+ seasons and he hit over 20% of those last year.

Post #: 648
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 11:29:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Margot doesn't have any power. He has 52 HR in 788 games. For that matter, Taylor has 95 in 9+ seasons and he hit over 20% of those last year.

They both have more (proven) power than Martin though. Rodriguez is also getting closer; he supposedly has power.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/27/2024 11:30:49 AM >

Post #: 649
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 12:12:23 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

They both have more (proven) power than Martin though. Rodriguez is also getting closer; he supposedly has power.

What proven power? One guy averages 10 hr a year. The other averages 7. Margot has hit 4 hr in each of his last 2 seasons. They have combined to hit double digit hr in 7 of 17 seasons. Is that really a power differential worth worrying about?

Post #: 650
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode