Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 12:29:30 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

quote:

I think between Santana and Margot you had the money to grab a #2.

and any money they actually spend on DeSclafini.

Agreed.

Typical Twins. They would rather spend $5M a piece for 3 players to fill roles that could be filled in house, than spend $15-$20M on a player who would actually make an impact.

EGGGGSSSSACTLY

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 651
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 2:56:12 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Margot doesn't have any power. He has 52 HR in 788 games. For that matter, Taylor has 95 in 9+ seasons and he hit over 20% of those last year.

They both have more (proven) power than Martin though. Rodriguez is also getting closer; he supposedly has power.

What proven power? One guy averages 10 hr a year. The other averages 7. Margot has hit 4 hr in each of his last 2 seasons. They have combined to hit double digit hr in 7 of 17 seasons. Is that really a power differential worth worrying about?

Does Martin have 1 HR in the Majors, ever?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 652
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 3:11:11 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Margot doesn't have any power. He has 52 HR in 788 games. For that matter, Taylor has 95 in 9+ seasons and he hit over 20% of those last year.

They both have more (proven) power than Martin though. Rodriguez is also getting closer; he supposedly has power.

What proven power? One guy averages 10 hr a year. The other averages 7. Margot has hit 4 hr in each of his last 2 seasons. They have combined to hit double digit hr in 7 of 17 seasons. Is that really a power differential worth worrying about?

He hasn't played a game in the majors yet.

But you see. He'd be paid at league minimum, would be a backup at multiple positions and at least once was a hot prospect. Defensively he's better than Margot and it wouldn't hurt to have a guy that slaps the ball around and gets on base a lot.

Sweens point was that we could have saved the money on Margot, and a couple other guys and got somebody like Montgomery for the rotation that would have made a much bigger impact. but Rocco don't like rookies much.

There is plenty of power in this lineup.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 653
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 3:46:32 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He hasn't played a game in the majors yet.

But you see. He'd be paid at league minimum, would be a backup at multiple positions and at least once was a hot prospect. Defensively he's better than Margot and it wouldn't hurt to have a guy that slaps the ball around and gets on base a lot.

Sweens point was that we could have saved the money on Margot, and a couple other guys and got somebody like Montgomery for the rotation that would have made a much bigger impact. but Rocco don't like rookies much.

There is plenty of power in this lineup.

I don't disagree with the take...my point is Rocco wants power. I am trying to justify Margot and Santana and I can't.

They will only bring Martin up to play every day---same with Brooks Lee.....but it is a costly choice---a #2 starter. Not our first GM to do it but Falvey has done it a few times also.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/27/2024 3:48:19 PM >

Post #: 654
RE: Twins off-season - 2/27/2024 4:31:43 PM   
TJSweens

I'm just saying the justification isn't power. Margot has only hit 4 hr in each of his last 2 years. I also think that what Rocco wants is irrelevant. Falvine tells Rocco what he wants. Not the other way around.

I'm sure the rationale is that the Twins would rather have Martin get 25 AB a week rather than 5-10 in the majors. I'm with Jeff. Martin is 25. It's time to let him see major league pitching.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 655
RE: Twins off-season - 2/28/2024 6:47:44 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

I'm with Jeff.

Another sign of the apocalypse approaching.

What was old is new again
Post #: 656
RE: Twins off-season - 2/28/2024 6:50:21 AM   
Mister Ed

All in fun

Rocco covets the power. Still trying to reassemble the Bomba Squad. Good one. Martin at 25 is wasting away at AAA. Larnach will waste away again.

So stuck on metrics they don't even give guys opps to hit lefties for some guys. And as Sweens said, based on what? A small sampling size? Unbelievable.

Post #: 657
RE: Twins off-season - 2/28/2024 7:26:09 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

All in fun
Rocco covets the power. Still trying to reassemble the Bomba Squad. Good one. Martin at 25 is wasting away at AAA. Larnach will waste away again.
So stuck on metrics they don't even give guys opps to hit lefties for some guys. And as Sweens said, based on what? A small sampling size? Unbelievable.

Enigma of it all is what was done to Wallner last year. Should totally fit with what Rocco and Falvey wants but not given a spot until everything else didn't work out. If it was me I would have Lee (Miranda as a fallback) up instead of Santana and Martin instead of Margot trade and add a few million to that 10 and get a stud starter.

It is amazing how much power they actually did have last year when you add it all up...Lewis and Wallner have incredible power. Lee is just a great overall hitter. Martin lacks power but he can get on base.....no reason this year not to go in this direction.

Post #: 658
RE: Twins off-season - 2/28/2024 8:47:20 AM   
TJSweens

I don't know if Rocco had realized the Bomba Squad totals were a by product of the seamless baseball in 2019.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 659
RE: Twins off-season - 2/28/2024 9:39:44 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

I don't know if Rocco had realized the Bomba Squad totals were a by product of the seamless baseball in 2019.

Doesn't seem like it

Post #: 660
RE: Twins off-season - 2/28/2024 10:00:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

It is somewhat surprising but we were 3rd in MLB in HR last year but only 10th in runs....need a couple of Martin type with the Bomba.

Post #: 661
RE: Twins off-season - 2/28/2024 10:39:52 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

It is somewhat surprising but we were 3rd in MLB in HR last year but only 10th in runs....need a couple of Martin type with the Bomba.

it was a glaring flaw last year to me. The Twins struggled mightily to score runs without someone hitting a Home Run. That's just not sustainable. Sometimes you have to be able to scratch a run using small ball, Walk, steal a base move the runner over,. lay down a bunt, get a doink hit and score a run. Depending on the long ball will cost you games.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 662
RE: Twins off-season - 2/28/2024 11:38:29 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

it was a glaring flaw last year to me. The Twins struggled mightily to score runs without someone hitting a Home Run. That's just not sustainable. Sometimes you have to be able to scratch a run using small ball, Walk, steal a base move the runner over,. lay down a bunt, get a doink hit and score a run. Depending on the long ball will cost you games.

I think he did bunt in extra innings a couple times.

Baby steps.
Post #: 663
RE: Twins off-season - 2/29/2024 8:51:07 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Baby steps.

But maybe not enough in the bottom half of the inning while tied
Post #: 664
RE: Twins off-season - 3/1/2024 6:03:50 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

quote:

Lack of offense so far this spring. I'm shocked.

Post #: 665
RE: Twins off-season - 3/1/2024 8:36:18 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Baby steps.

But maybe not enough in the bottom half of the inning while tied

Players might have done it on their own.
Post #: 666
RE: Twins off-season - 3/1/2024 11:22:06 AM   
Mister Ed

Rag arm acquisition experiencing elbow soreness. Shocking
"Plans to be ready for the start of the season"

Post #: 667
RE: Twins off-season - 3/1/2024 2:08:31 PM   
MDK

Know how dogs often resemble their owners

Twins players resemble Rocco in terms of their inability to avoid injury

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 668
RE: Twins off-season - 3/2/2024 7:14:35 AM   
TJSweens

We took in the game yesterday with our son who was visiting. It was a lot of fun. Good to see the young players continue to hit. First Julien with the opposite field dinger and then Lewis with the slam. Lewis' was an absolute bomb. It cleared all the signage in LF, left the stadium and kept on going.

Post #: 669
RE: Twins off-season - 3/2/2024 10:04:24 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

We took in the game yesterday with our son who was visiting. It was a lot of fun. Good to see the young players continue to hit. First Julien with the opposite field dinger and then Lewis with the slam. Lewis' was an absolute bomb. It cleared all the signage in LF, left the stadium and kept on going.

Nice
Post #: 670
RE: Twins off-season - 3/2/2024 10:56:56 AM  2 votes
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed.

Typical Twins. They would rather spend $5M a piece for 3 players to fill roles that could be filled in house, than spend $15-$20M on a player who would actually make an impact.

THIS

It is so difficult to understand.

It's actually a good strategy. If you get the more expensive guy and he gets hurt or underperforms, you're screwed. But if you get 3 guys for the same amount of money, you keep playing them if they perform. Otherwise you replace them. If two of the three work out, you're in a better place than you would have been if you'd spent all that money on just one player.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 671
RE: Twins off-season - 3/2/2024 11:42:20 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed.

THIS

It's actually a good strategy. If you get the more expensive guy and he gets hurt or underperforms, you're screwed. But if you get 3 guys for the same amount of money, you keep playing them if they perform. Otherwise you replace them. If two of the three work out, you're in a better place than you would have been if you'd spent all that money on just one player.

Yes, why would we want legit #2 starter who can win playoff games. when we can have a 38 year old 1B who has one OPS over .700 since 2019, a back up OF with a career OPS of .694 and an injury prone rag arm #5 starter, who decent year once in 2021.

Post #: 672
RE: Twins off-season - 3/4/2024 7:28:32 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed.

THIS

Yes, why would we want legit #2 starter who can win playoff games. when we can have a 38 year old 1B who has one OPS over .700 since 2019, a back up OF with a career OPS of .694 and an injury prone rag arm #5 starter, who decent year once in 2021.

They have Miranda, Lee, Julien, and Kirilloff who can all play first base. Lee is a switch hitter also. Martin can play OF and 2B.

When you say you are cutting payroll but sign or trade for middlings it looks worse.....they could have shut their mouth have Martin as 4th OF and Lee and still picked up a number 2 and saved the cap.

It was almost like Rocco said he was ok with the (salary cap) reduction if he can get a couple of vets...

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/4/2024 10:22:28 AM >

Post #: 673
RE: Twins off-season - 3/4/2024 10:12:35 AM   
bstinger

I'd rather have 1 difference maker than 3 replacement level players for the same price. You should be able to get the replacement level player from your farm system, for pennies on the dollar, if you're doing things right.

< Message edited by bstinger -- 3/4/2024 10:13:54 AM >

--twinsfan
Post #: 674
RE: Twins off-season - 3/4/2024 10:13:04 AM   
bstinger

sd

--twinsfan
Post #: 675
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode