Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 9:01:27 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

McCarthy attempts: 332 (a paltry 10-18 in the championship game)
Vikings attempts: 631

People love fanciful projections. Like some of these new FAs not only playing full seasons, matching snap counts, etc. but being productive all the while.

He ompleted 72% of his passes against the toughest defensive schedule of any QB in this draft. And he did playing in a west coast NFL offense, not one of these Air Raid / Spread college offenses that exploit college hashmarks to create high percentage short passes like a couple of other QB in the top 6.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1301
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 9:03:16 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Alright. Back to Penix at 11.

What’s the bigger risk? The bust rate of QB’s tied to the cost of moving up, or Penix staying healthy?

I wouldn't even take Penix at 23. Trade back from that spot and he'll still be there in the second round.

Anything can happen, but I'm pretty sure Penix doesn't last past pick 13.

In this scenario I think he does. Remember, that means the Vikings don't jump up for McCarthy. That means Denver and Las Vegas grab McCarthy and Nix. Who does that leave to reach for a QB?

Big assumptions. If that happened I could see the giants, saints, seahawks, jumping 23 to take him ahead of us.

I don't see anybody spending extra draft capital just to get Penix. There are serious questions about his performance when the pocket gets crowded and his abilities to make plays outside the pocket. He is also the big arm with everything being a 4 seam fastball.

We disagree. Penix has great touch on his passes.

Yep we disagree. I see a lot of fastballs and a lot receivers making great catches on iffy passes.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1302
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 9:04:49 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

People love fanciful projections. Like some of these new FAs not only playing full seasons, matching snap counts, etc. but being productive all the while.

He ompleted 72% of his passes against the toughest defensive schedule of any QB in this draft. And he did playing in a west coast NFL offense, not one of these Air Raid / Spread college offenses that exploit college hashmarks to create high percentage short passes like a couple of other QB in the top 6.

I like McCarthy. I won't be suicidal if we trade up for him using not one iota more than picks 11 and 23.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1303
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 9:09:57 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like McCarthy. I won't be suicidal if we trade up for him using not one iota more than picks 11 and 23.

McCarthy is Jim Harbaugh II. He'll play hard. He'll be tough. He just won't be a great pro, IMO.

I have always thought the same thing of McCarthy. Comes from a running offense (which is considered unconventional in 2024). Always had better athletes around him than the teams he played. Rarely played from behind (limiting his two-minute experience).

Mac Jones comes to mind. Stetson Bennett comes to mind. At-best he should be a late-first, early second rounder (which is where he was rated after the season). He has climbed up the draft boards for two reasons. 1) There is a great need for a quarterback in the 2024 draft 2) He looked good in gym shorts at the combine

In his final two seasons at Michigan:

Harbaugh had a 157.0 and 163.7 passer rating
McCarthy had a 167.4 and 155.0 passer rating

Heisman voting, Harbaugh 3rd and McCarthy 10th (McCarthy received one first place vote out of close to 900, and didn't even finish in the top-4 in his own region).

Harbaugh was drafted 26th overall

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/18/2024 9:29:05 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1304
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 9:43:29 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

McCarthy is Jim Harbaugh II. He'll play hard. He'll be tough. He just won't be a great pro, IMO.

I have always thought the same thing of McCarthy. Comes from a running offense (which is considered unconventional in 2024). Always had better athletes around him than the teams he played. Rarely played from behind (limiting his two-minute experience).

Mac Jones comes to mind. Stetson Bennett comes to mind. At-best he should be a late-first, early second rounder (which is where he was rated after the season). He has climbed up the draft boards for two reasons. 1) There is a great need for a quarterback in the 2024 draft 2) He looked good in gym shorts at the combine

Heisman voting, Harbaugh 3rd and McCarthy 10th (McCarthy received one first place vote out of close to 900, and didn't even finish in the top-4 in his own region).

I am now really ok at spending all resources necessary on McCarthy.....Brad has struggled on his QB analysis TBH.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1305
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 9:50:25 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

55% in the championship game. 72% of not very many passes in a rush-oriented offense (7th in the nation in rushing attempts) while being in the lead most of the time. Played powerhouses such as ECU, BGSU, UNLV, Rutgers. MI St and a few other scrubs.

IMO not worth more than the #11. But if forced to bet would wager he's the target and the longship of idiots are ready to hand over at least 3 first-rounders for him.
Post #: 1306
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 9:51:25 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am now really ok at spending all resources necessary on McCarthy.....Brad has struggled on his QB analysis TBH.

When? Or are you just going to make something up again? Or are we going to go back to 2007 when I had some nice things to say about Colt Brennan?

I've been saying for five years that Cousins isn't a winner. Been right for five years.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/18/2024 9:53:19 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1307
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 9:59:28 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There is a great need for QB in 2024, and until the league flips from wanting a scoring frenzy to the days of Bronco Nagurski when a FB ruled the league, it will always be so.

That won't ever stop the QB carnage. Especially those picked by know-nothing GMs.
Post #: 1308
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 10:02:20 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

When? Or are you just going to make something up again? Or are we going to go back to 2007 when I had some nice things to say about Colt Brennan?

I've been saying for five years that Cousins isn't a winner. Been right for five years.

A key to a successful and rewarding life is to think the opposite of what he thinks
Post #: 1309
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 11:25:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

99% of the time you say it to get a rise....Your opinion on McCarthy to seem just that.

Only Colt? You know a top 3-5 1st round QB hits about 20-25% of the time....you pounded the table on Colt and a couple others.

I don't honestly know which QB will be best even though I have a preference---it isn't a Pac 12 QB over a Big 10 though....my scope is a little bigger.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/18/2024 11:28:04 AM >

Post #: 1310
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 11:30:37 AM  2 votes
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A key to a successful and rewarding life is to think the opposite of what he thinks

Brad and I both have rewarding lives no matter what your quote means. We have discussed it actually.....go spit somewhere else.
We are just talking qbs and I am joking. Not serious. Everyone has an opinion on QB.

IMO...I think we need to move up and get one of the top 4. It is as shitty an opinion as the next.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/18/2024 11:41:50 AM >

Post #: 1311
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 12:00:29 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

If Daniels gets to 3 he’s the big prize. The only one I want to make a big move for.

Depending on 2 teams to make moves in our favor.

Otherwise I like Tim’s plan.

offer washington 11, 23, and two 1sts - '25 and '26 - and they kick back a 2nd in '26...or they don't kick back a 2nd...just get daniels....

in my experience, people don't regret spending more for quality, but they do regret spending less for inferior....

daniels is the man, go get him....

Four 1st round picks for a guy who could easily end up being the next Justin Fields?
I wouldn't do it.

It would have to be a Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck type prospect for me to even consider it.

If he falls to you... sure.
But unless you grade him as MILES above the other 4-5 qbs in this draft... I'd say that is a bad decision.

of course, one of the prerequisites for the four 1st rounders would be that O'Connell is very, very high on the quarterback...

First of all, Williams doesn't even come close to the same fanfare as Manning Luck, much less the other guys. Is Williams even as highly touted as Lawrence. Maybe.

And what qualifies O'Connell as such a good judge of college QB talent?

As WASH OC in 2019, they drafted Haskins. As Vikings HC, they drafted Hall. That's it for QBs associated with his different stops as a coach.

But wait. Its not just his decision ... 3D chess-draft grandmaster Kwesi is also involved.

The only two QBs associated with Kwesi tenures were Beathard by the 49ers (2017) [when he was more of a cap / contract guy] and Hall las year.

So howsa bout we don't sink 4 first rd picks on a wild hair by Kevin or Kwesi?

Right. O'Connell this and O'Connell that as if he is some kind of QB guru.

What's the hoopla about his scheme being such a good fit? Is it being among the league leaders in pass attempts (3rd in 2022, 4th in 2023)? McCarthy's head will be spinning with that workload. It's less scheme and more about the good targets.

All the talking heads seem to praise O'Connell as some mastermind play caller. Have they ever watched a Viking game. Personally I don't see it. I see a guy that abandons the run almost immediately and an extremely piss poor screen game.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1312
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 12:51:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If Daniels gets to 3 he’s the big prize. The only one I want to make a big move for.

offer washington 11, 23, and two 1sts - '25 and '26 - and they kick back a 2nd in '26...or they don't kick back a 2nd...just get daniels....

in my experience, people don't regret spending more for quality, but they do regret spending less for inferior....

Four 1st round picks for a guy who could easily end up being the next Justin Fields?
I wouldn't do it.

It would have to be a Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck type prospect for me to even consider it.

But unless you grade him as MILES above the other 4-5 qbs in this draft... I'd say that is a bad decision.

of course, one of the prerequisites for the four 1st rounders would be that O'Connell is very, very high on the quarterback...

First of all, Williams doesn't even come close to the same fanfare as Manning Luck, much less the other guys. Is Williams even as highly touted as Lawrence. Maybe.

As WASH OC in 2019, they drafted Haskins. As Vikings HC, they drafted Hall. That's it for QBs associated with his different stops as a coach.

But wait. Its not just his decision ... 3D chess-draft grandmaster Kwesi is also involved.

The only two QBs associated with Kwesi tenures were Beathard by the 49ers (2017) [when he was more of a cap / contract guy] and Hall las year.

What's the hoopla about his scheme being such a good fit? Is it being among the league leaders in pass attempts (3rd in 2022, 4th in 2023)? McCarthy's head will be spinning with that workload. It's less scheme and more about the good targets.

All the talking heads seem to praise O'Connell as some mastermind play caller. Have they ever watched a Viking game. Personally I don't see it. I see a guy that abandons the run almost immediately and an extremely piss poor screen game.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1313
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 1:09:10 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't do it.

He should get some credit for squeezing juice out of Stafford and even some blood out of turnip Cousins.

How much new stafford was McVay / a fresh start on a good team vs O'Connell QB whisperer is hard to say. How much new Cousins was changing from grumpy defensive sourpuss Zimmer to an Offense-minded coach vs O'Connell QB whisperer is hard to say.

[I know the loony pro-Cousins crowd will say Cousins was playing the best ball of his career in 2023 before getting injured but, even if you intentionally forget to mention how poorly he played early, the rest of us know ... the more speed Cousins picked up during the season, the better he played, only foreshadowed a more spectacular car crash in the first wildcard game].

It will take a few years with his own QB to properly evaluate O'Connell.

For teaching old dogs new tricks.

As far as identifying and developing a solid young starter that is not being wheeled into the stadium with an oxygen tank and fresh depends ... O'Connell himself doesn't even know how good he is, this will be his first time.

O'Connell is a QB whispering virgin in that regard.
Post #: 1314
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 2:41:37 PM   
marty

I think the play designs are usually good, but when to call plays is bad, and I agree that he abandons the run too quickly.

But I am ok with the talking heads thinking he is great with QBs, that may lead to favorable officiating, or some minor holds being ignored on some explosive offensive plays.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1315
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 6:38:20 PM   
Todd M

Overheard at dinner tonight…

Daniels: Trade up for me. I don’t want to play for anyone else.

———-

Daniels to Wash doesn’t seem as certain a week out.
Post #: 1316
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 10:32:41 PM  1 votes
lyle chabot

All i know is it is nice to nit pick all of the QB's in this draft. How long have we wanted to get a Good QB in recent drafts? well this may be the draft where we get a QBOTF. That just sounds nice......
Post #: 1317
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 11:47:12 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: lyle chabot

All i know is it is nice to nit pick all of the QB's in this draft. How long have we wanted to get a Good QB in recent drafts? well this may be the draft where we get a QBOTF. That just sounds nice......

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1318
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/19/2024 1:02:44 AM   
marty

I think either Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels will fall to #6 or later, I am going with Washington taking Maye, and Daniels falling.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1319
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/19/2024 1:52:35 AM   
Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I think either Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels will fall to #6 or later, I am going with Washington taking Maye, and Daniels falling.

I think McCarthy will be the one that falls

If we don't move up for Daniels or Maye at 3, whomever it is, I see us waiting it out...

McCarthy is fools gold, too much a product of the hype and need...kind of hope some one takes him before us
Post #: 1320
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/19/2024 4:20:09 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't do it.

O’Connell Might not be a ‘beat all’ quarterback guru, but he’s our quarterback guru, and he’s the only one we have…..

Who else are we going to trust?…..

If he says Daniels is the man, that’s enough for me, four 1st round pics – no problem….

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 4/19/2024 4:59:24 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1321
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/19/2024 6:22:39 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I think McCarthy will be the one that falls

If we don't move up for Daniels or Maye at 3, whomever it is, I see us waiting it out...

McCarthy is fools gold, too much a product of the hype and need...kind of hope some one takes him before us

He's Daniel Jones II. Let the Giants have him.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1322
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/19/2024 7:04:24 AM   
Pauldiercks1

I really hop Washington takes JJ at #2 so we don't have to worry about it. Not a fan of McCarthy. Feels like we have seen this before. Average QB seems to get hype leading up to the draft and you ask yourself why and there is no real answer. He gets way over drafted and you look back later and say well they were all wrong again. He should have been drafted where they predicted back when they were actually playing his college games. Hoping for McDaniels or Maye. Not convinced on them yet either but I feel the chances of success are much higher.
Post #: 1323
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/19/2024 7:30:04 AM   
marty

McCarthy rises to the occasion when things heat up. I see him as the next Eli Manning, a poor regular season QB that goes on a playoff run, and is the most likely of the 5 (McCarthy, Daniels, Maye, Penix or Nix) to win a Super Bowl.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1324
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/19/2024 7:38:45 AM   
marty

Daniels - the most exciting pick, will make the team a scoring champion, but will probably be injury prone, and probably won't win a Super Bowl, but like Fran, might get us there a few times.

Maye - seems similar to Josh Allen, probably won't win a Super Bowl (although I think Allen will get ONE in his career, Tom Brady says so), but will many times throw a pick in key moments.

Penix - will likely be injury prone

Nix - like Dan Marino, probably the 6th QB taken, probably won't win a Super Bowl, but will have instant success because of his quick release, will have some great regular seasons, but will fall short in a Super Bowl, if he ever makes it there.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1325
Page:   <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode