Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 11:16:24 AM   
Todd M

Alright. Back to Penix at 11.

What’s the bigger risk? The bust rate of QB’s tied to the cost of moving up, or Penix staying healthy?

< Message edited by Todd M -- 4/17/2024 11:24:18 AM >
Post #: 1276
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 11:22:18 AM   
Todd M

More from the article..

While scrambling under pressure may not always be a problem (though I strongly suspect scrambling more often than Lamar Jackson, the greatest scrambler in history, is a problem), scrambling from clean pockets is a much more troublesome sign. Unfortunately Daniels has the highest clean pocket scramble rate of any prospect I’ve studied, taking off running without being pressured on almost 1 out of every 10 dropbacks, at 9.4%. Jalen Hurts (9.1%), Jacoby Brissett (8.5%) and Justin Fields (8.2%) are the only prospects to even hit 8% in that department, and while Hurts has largely mastered that impulse behind an outstanding Eagles offensive line in his career, Brissett and Fields have both run themselves into trouble at a fair clip. Scrambling from a clean pocket in order to create when receivers aren’t coming open downfield isn’t an inherently bad trait, many of the successful mobile QBs in recent memory did so about 5% of the time on average in college, but scrambling almost 10% of the time from a clean pocket is almost certainly the result of a QB growing impatient or skittish within structure and breaking the play before allowing it to develop.
Post #: 1277
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 11:51:27 AM   
Todd M

1 week to go and this QB class looks a lot less shiny than it did at the beginning of the year.
Post #: 1278
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 12:21:06 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

If Daniels gets to 3 he’s the big prize. The only one I want to make a big move for.

Depending on 2 teams to make moves in our favor.

Otherwise I like Tim’s plan.

offer washington 11, 23, and two 1sts - '25 and '26 - and they kick back a 2nd in '26...or they don't kick back a 2nd...just get daniels....

in my experience, people don't regret spending more for quality, but they do regret spending less for inferior....

daniels is the man, go get him....

Four 1st round picks for a guy who could easily end up being the next Justin Fields?
I wouldn't do it.

It would have to be a Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck type prospect for me to even consider it.

If he falls to you... sure.
But unless you grade him as MILES above the other 4-5 qbs in this draft... I'd say that is a bad decision.
Post #: 1279
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 12:28:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

If Daniels gets to 3 he’s the big prize. The only one I want to make a big move for.

offer washington 11, 23, and two 1sts - '25 and '26 - and they kick back a 2nd in '26...or they don't kick back a 2nd...just get daniels....

in my experience, people don't regret spending more for quality, but they do regret spending less for inferior....

Four 1st round picks for a guy who could easily end up being the next Justin Fields?
I wouldn't do it.

It would have to be a Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck type prospect for me to even consider it.

But unless you grade him as MILES above the other 4-5 qbs in this draft... I'd say that is a bad decision.

To cough up four 1st rounders he better be graded as miles above QBs in the last 10 drafts.

Not into setting the bar when expending resources. Manning, Elway, yes Luck, different story.

A friend who is a Pats fan isn't thrilled with the likely options and is hoping NE can fleece some team.
Post #: 1280
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 12:35:51 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Over in Vikings land, rest assured everyone in the regime "will be on the same page" with the player they pick. An idiotic statement that boggles the mind given the number of people likely involved with the draft.

Collaboration run amuck, i.e. Groupthink... led by the portfolio manager/commodities trader who really can't believe he is an NFL GM and is just riding out a primo job.
Post #: 1281
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 1:45:33 PM   
David Levine

The Athletic 7 Round draft:

1 (4). Minnesota Vikings (from ARI)*: J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan
(Projected trade: Vikings trade picks Nos. 11 and 23 and a 2025 third-round pick to the Cardinals for No. 4.)

It is no secret that the Vikings are quarterback shopping in the NFL Draft, but how high can they trade up to secure their guy? In this scenario, Minnesota jumps to No. 4 for McCarthy, which would mark the first time in NFL Draft history we see quarterbacks drafted 1-2-3-4 overall.

4 (108). DeWayne Carter, DT, Duke

4 (129). Mason McCormick, G, South Dakota State

5 (157). Minnesota Vikings (from CLE): Qwan’tez Stiggers, CB, CFL
The first non-combine prospect drafted here is Stiggers, a CFL product who has had a Hollywood-worthy journey to this point. But he is more than a feel-good story — Stiggers has the talent to work his way up an NFL depth chart.

5 (167). Eric Watts, Edge, UConn

6 (177). Ainias Smith, WR, Texas A&M

7 (230). Tyrice Knight, LB, UTEP

7 (232). Dylan McMahon, C, NC State

https://theathletic.com/5418352/2024/04/17/nfl-mock-draft-2024-full-seven-rounds-dane-brugler/?source=targeted_email&campaign=9604949&userId=114953
Post #: 1282
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 1:48:26 PM   
David Levine

For the record:

29. Las Vegas Raiders (from DET)*: Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington
(Projected trade: Raiders trade picks Nos. 44 and 77 to the Lions for No. 29.)

According to The Athletic’s Vic Tafur, “the whispers are getting louder” that the Raiders might draft Penix at No. 13. But this scenario feels like the better option, even if it means parting with a pair of Day 2 draft picks. A polarizing player among NFL front offices, Penix is an aggressive downfield passer with the mental toughness that will certainly stand out for Pierce and his staff.

Los Angeles Rams
2 (52). Bo Nix, QB, Oregon

Denver Broncos
3 (76). Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina

Atlanta Falcons
6 (197). Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee

< Message edited by David Levine -- 4/17/2024 1:49:33 PM >
Post #: 1283
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 3:11:04 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't do it.

of course, one of the prerequisites for the four 1st rounders would be that O'Connell is very, very high on the quarterback...

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1284
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 7:08:01 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

What’s the bigger risk? The bust rate of QB’s tied to the cost of moving up, or Penix staying healthy?

I wouldn't even take Penix at 23. Trade back from that spot and he'll still be there in the second round.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1285
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 7:36:21 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't do it.

of course, one of the prerequisites for the four 1st rounders would be that O'Connell is very, very high on the quarterback...

First of all, Williams doesn't even come close to the same fanfare as Manning Luck, much less the other guys. Is Williams even as highly touted as Lawrence. Maybe.

And what qualifies O'Connell as such a good judge of college QB talent?

As WASH OC in 2019, they drafted Haskins. As Vikings HC, they drafted Hall. That's it for QBs associated with his different stops as a coach.

But wait. Its not just his decision ... 3D chess-draft grandmaster Kwesi is also involved.

The only two QBs associated with Kwesi tenures were Beathard by the 49ers (2017) [when he was more of a cap / contract guy] and Hall las year.

So howsa bout we don't sink 4 first rd picks on a wild hair by Kevin or Kwesi?
Post #: 1286
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 8:05:04 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

So four 1st round picks. Would you give up five?

right this moment, with everything that i know - i would not go beyond '26....

NFL rules you can't trade picks past the next 3 drafts. We can't give up any picks from 27.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1287
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 8:08:16 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

I wouldn't even take Penix at 23. Trade back from that spot and he'll still be there in the second round.

Anything can happen, but I'm pretty sure Penix doesn't last past pick 13.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1288
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 8:24:23 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't do it.

First of all, Williams doesn't even come close to the same fanfare as Manning Luck, much less the other guys. Is Williams even as highly touted as Lawrence. Maybe.

As WASH OC in 2019, they drafted Haskins. As Vikings HC, they drafted Hall. That's it for QBs associated with his different stops as a coach.

But wait. Its not just his decision ... 3D chess-draft grandmaster Kwesi is also involved.

The only two QBs associated with Kwesi tenures were Beathard by the 49ers (2017) [when he was more of a cap / contract guy] and Hall las year.

Agreed. Sending even 11 and 23 for McCarthy is rich. I have a bad feeling Kwesi is going to **** this up really bad.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1289
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 8:33:27 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't do it.

Agreed. Sending even 11 and 23 for McCarthy is rich. I have a bad feeling Kwesi is going to **** this up really bad.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1290
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 8:36:10 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

In this scenario I think he does. Remember, that means the Vikings don't jump up for McCarthy. That means Denver and Las Vegas grab McCarthy and Nix. Who does that leave to reach for a QB?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1291
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 9:14:52 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In this scenario I think he does. Remember, that means the Vikings don't jump up for McCarthy. That means Denver and Las Vegas grab McCarthy and Nix. Who does that leave to reach for a QB?

Big assumptions. If that happened I could see the giants, saints, seahawks, jumping 23 to take him ahead of us.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1292
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/17/2024 9:26:58 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't do it.

The good news is, whoever is picking / whoever gets picked ... 50% of the decision is luck, so there's that.
Post #: 1293
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 6:21:32 AM   
Todd M

Probably the most fun draft season I can remember.

With a week to go we can end the speculation.

1. Chi Willam’s
2. Wash Daniels
3. Min Maye
Post #: 1294
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 8:20:20 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't do it.

Right. O'Connell this and O'Connell that as if he is some kind of QB guru.

What's the hoopla about his scheme being such a good fit? Is it being among the league leaders in pass attempts (3rd in 2022, 4th in 2023)? McCarthy's head will be spinning with that workload. It's less scheme and more about the good targets.
Post #: 1295
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 8:25:14 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Redrafting the QBs from the past five years.

https://sports.yahoo.com/re-drafting-the-qbs-of-the-past-5-years-182053723.html

This year, I'm thinking there is Caleb Williams and just a bunch of guys.
Post #: 1296
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 8:38:54 AM   
Bill Johanesen

McCarthy attempts: 332 (a paltry 10-18 in the championship game)
Vikings attempts: 631

People love fanciful projections. Like some of these new FAs not only playing full seasons, matching snap counts, etc. but being productive all the while.
Post #: 1297
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 8:49:40 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Probably the most fun draft season I can remember.

With a week to go we can end the speculation.

1. Chi Willam’s
2. Wash Daniels
3. Min Maye

I have been finding this draft season agony due to my belief that Kwesi is going to **** this up really bad.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1298
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 8:56:03 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Big assumptions. If that happened I could see the giants, saints, seahawks, jumping 23 to take him ahead of us.

I don't see anybody spending extra draft capital just to get Penix. There are serious questions about his performance when the pocket gets crowded and his abilities to make plays outside the pocket. He is also the big arm with everything being a 4 seam fastball.

Post #: 1299
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/18/2024 9:00:46 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't see anybody spending extra draft capital just to get Penix. There are serious questions about his performance when the pocket gets crowded and his abilities to make plays outside the pocket. He is also the big arm with everything being a 4 seam fastball.

We disagree. Penix has great touch on his passes. I'm on record that Penix will be gone by 15. You're on record that he will last until the 2nd round. Big gap between us. We will see who's closer on where he goes.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/18/2024 9:02:22 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1300
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode