Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/28/2024 1:17:40 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Murphy combines multiple pass-rush maneuvers to defeat his blocker. He deploys an effective club, cross-chops, two-hand swipe, and long-arm over technique. I was impressed with how he uses the blend of hand fighting, dip, and bend to corner tackles and get in the backfield quickly.

UCLA must have a really good DLine coach. Those were the same (more or less) good things about Latu also.
Post #: 2076
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/28/2024 1:39:03 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

A DT in the 7th, #12.

6'1", 269 lbs.

Levi Drake Rodriguez

Did not see that coming. I wonder why they didn't think he was under the radar and they could wait. Obviously they had him rated higher than any other remaining option.

FWIW, his college lists him as 6'4", 290. But I'd assume that's slightly inflated.

I've since seen 6'2", 300. 269 sounds like old info:

So, what are the Vikings getting out of Prospect X? Here are some highlights:

- He's always eating. Rodriguez had gained nearly 30 pounds during the offseason while preparing to take the jump to the NFL. There are also anecdotes of him keeping Twizzlers in his helmet, mango in his football pants. Be it peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or gummy bears, he always has food on his person. He even would eat raw sugar cane between drills.

- Rodriguez started playing tackle football at 6 years old. He tried playing flag football a year earlier, but didn't like it. He wanted to hit people. By the age of 8,
- Rodriguez wrote "I will be a professional football player!! In Jesus Name!" on a whiteboard he's since taken with him whenever he's moved.

- After three seasons at Southwest Assemblies of God University, Rodriguez began to worry he wouldn't get noticed as a prospect. He prayed on it, and eventually sent an email to Texas A&M Commerce's defensive line coach, Michael Smith, who usually would ignore that kind of email. But Rodriguez's stood out.

- Rodriguez was described as the first in, last out type of player. Like for real. Rodriguez got sick of being beat to the facility by custodians, so he started sleeping there, either on a pile of water bags or on a pole vault mat outside.

I think they are FCS school. 2023 stats: 56 total tackles, 7.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks
Post #: 2077
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/28/2024 1:41:54 PM   
Ricky J

I finally went diving around for information to understand the Payton thing.
Sheesh, sounds like a lot of all-to- do about nothing
: https://fansided.com/posts/sean-payton-reveals-how-falcons-ruined-raiders-vikings-broncos-truce-in-nfl-draft-01hwe22g2yza
Post #: 2078
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/28/2024 3:23:25 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: lyle chabot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Unless I missed it we didn't land a rb anywhere?

I wonder if Kene has increased value with the new KO rules?

Bill,
I was surprised we did not draft a RB in the later rounds. It may be due to having limited picks?

I was also surprised none of the UDFA's were RB's either.

Jones
Chandler
Kene

Probably shouldn't be too alarmed as that we can always bring in a guy that is released but that's not a lot of depth considering O'Connell doesn't seem to even know Kene has been on the roster the last 2 years.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 4/28/2024 3:24:52 PM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2079
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/28/2024 4:56:57 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: lyle chabot

quote:

Unless I missed it we didn't land a rb anywhere?

I wonder if Kene has increased value with the new KO rules?

Bill,
I was surprised we did not draft a RB in the later rounds. It may be due to having limited picks?

I was also surprised none of the UDFA's were RB's either.

Jones
Chandler
Kene

Probably shouldn't be too alarmed as that we can always bring in a guy that is released but that's not a lot of depth considering O'Connell doesn't seem to even know Kene has been on the roster the last 2 years.

We also have the Gaskin and McBride.
Post #: 2080
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/28/2024 7:29:07 PM   
David Levine

Khyree Jackson

Dane Brugler, The Athletic
STRENGTHS: Tall, rangy frame with excellent body length … long strides eat up grass quickly and allow him to stay connected on go patterns … quick to open up and flashes a make-up burst to close space from trail … outstanding ball skills and length tilts jump-ball chancesin his favor … quick to find the football once he returns his eyes to the QB … will challenge receivers and looks to reroute within the first five yards … body length helps him get runners on the ground, compensating for some wild tackling tendencies … effective blitzer (six pressures and 2.0 sacks on just seven pass-rush snaps in 2023) … wired right for the position; receivers know they’re in for a dogfight … a regular on punt and kick coverages at Alabama (four special-teams tackles in 2022) … took a massive jump with his play on the 2023 tape.

WEAKNESSES: Often caught flat-footed, which leaves him out of position and vulnerable … underdeveloped route recognition and can be stemmed away from the break path (see his matchup with Rome Odunze in 2023)… finds the ball quickly, but he tends to be inconsistent reading receivers to know when the ball is coming … his first instinct is to grab when he loses a step (flagged for pass interference three times in 2023, and that number probably should have been higher) … undisciplined eyes in zone … eager to jam but gives away his intentions and needs to stay on the balls of his feet … only one season of starting experience at the FBS level (717 career defensive snaps) … suspended for multiple games by Nick Saban due to a violation of team rules (November 2022) … will turn 25 before his first NFL game.

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Oregon, Jackson was a perimeter cornerback in head coach Dan Lanning’s balanced scheme. He has taken a winding road to this point (attended four different programs over the last five years) but got the attention of NFL scouts with his play for the Ducks in 2023, when he led the team in interceptions and passes defended while allowing only one touchdown in coverage. With his body length and athleticism, Jackso n doesn’t allow receivers to get comfortable and plays with the same brash attitude against the run and the pass. With coverage instincts that are still a work in progress, he will lose phase against crafty route runners but does a nice job quickly getting it back. He then uses his long arms to crowd the catch point, making it tough to complete throws over him. Overall, Jackson is still learning how to be disciplined and read routes, but his improvements in 2023 are encouraging, as are as his competitive spirit and ability to disrupt air space with his rare size. He is at his best as a press-man cornerback who can also be productive on special teams.
Post #: 2081
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/28/2024 7:29:28 PM   
David Levine

Greg Cosell, 33rd Team

STRENGTHS

Rare size for an outside corner with the physical and athletic traits to play press-man coverage at a high level

Long strider who covered ground quickly and easily in zone coverage and could close windows with his length

Showed patience and poise in press-man coverage due to good knee bend and balance; controlled and measured

Strong snaps of mirror match press-man coverage, locking onto a receiver and staying in phase throughout the route

Stride length and play speed were big factors when he was beaten off the ball in press man as he showed recovery ability

Did a good job in mirror match press-man, getting his head around and locating-tracking the ball on vertical routes

Showed balance and body control to stop and re-direct at the top of receiver route stem, and could sink and transition

A strong tackler who was willing to play physically, he consistently showed excellent run support on the outside.

WEAKNESSES

While smooth and fluid in his movement, he is not a high-level change-of-direction athlete; long and high-cut

Sticky and segmented at times while opening hips transitioning in press coverage; did not always look comfortable

At times some balance and body-control issues with his jam in a physical press when he overextended with his strike

Could be a little sticky and segmented while opening his hips and transitioning in off coverage, and at times too upright

Some issues in off coverage staying connected at the top of the route stem and lost contact with the receiver

Despite his size and stride length will top-end speed be a concern? Can he run and stay connected to deep routes?

More comfortable at this point playing press-man than off coverage; his high cut limits transitions from backpedal

NFL TRANSITION

Jackson is one of the most intriguing outside corner prospects in the 2024 NFL Draft due to his outstanding length at almost 6-foot-4 with long arms and a wide wingspan and his ability to play and experience in press-man coverage.

Jackson played a lot of press-man coverage in Oregon’s defense, and his ability to play physical press and mirror-match press with the stride length, play speed, ball location and ball tracking consistently stood out on film. Jackson was competitive in press man and he not only played vertical throws effectively but also showed the balance and short-area quickness and body control to sink and stop to play shorter and intermediate routes.

What consistently stood out about Jackson was how physical he was in coverage, staying in phase throughout the route with the length and play speed to carry receivers vertically. Jackson at this point is a press-man corner much more so than an off-coverage corner. His hip tightness and segmented transitions more consistently showed up in the latter. He has the confidence to play mirror match and with targeted physicality, and he would project and transition best to a team that features press as a foundation of its coverage concepts.

Jackson could fit the profile of an NFL boundary corner tasked with matching the boundary X wide receivers, and that is a critical corner position given the proliferation of 3x1 sets with the best wide receiver aligning to the boundary side of the formation. There will be a learning curve because the quality of NFL wide receivers is far better than what Jackson faced in the Pac-12, but he has the physical and athletic traits to become a quality press corner.
Post #: 2082
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/28/2024 8:01:00 PM   
Bill Jandro

That is an amazing profile for Jackson. Love CB's with length. Reminds me of Rhodes.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2083
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/28/2024 9:36:17 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

That is an amazing profile for Jackson. Love CB's with length. Reminds me of Rhodes.

Richard Sherman
Post #: 2084
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/29/2024 2:52:47 PM   
marty

I was hoping the Vikings would draft RB Frank Gore Jr., he went to the Bills.

GREAT bloodline, we almost had a father and son combo playing RB in the NFL, just missed it by 4 years.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2085
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/29/2024 5:16:23 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Rouse, T. Looked like a lead footed Stay-Puff man in a few highlights.

Decided to waste some time and watch Oklahoma Texas 2023 condensed game.

Rouse looked equal to maybe better than Guyton(Dallas 1st rounder). Just one game but the guy(Rouse) has a chance.
Post #: 2086
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/29/2024 7:09:57 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Rouse looked equal to maybe better than Guyton(Dallas 1st rounder). Just one game but the guy(Rouse) has a chance.

Put down the Matrix black glasses Mr. Anderson, he has no chance. People with dual hip replacements move better than him within days after leaving the hospital.
Post #: 2087
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/29/2024 9:08:55 PM   
DavidAOlson

I assume y'all have seen Kevin O’Connell's reaction when Kwesi Adofo-Mensah told him he was drafting Dallas Turner.

Reminded me of the astonishment when the team realized they'd draft Justin Jefferson. Sooooo good.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kevin-o-connell-priceless-reaction-160409530.html#:~:text=Kwesi%3A%20%22Turner%2C%20we',season%20with%20the%20Crimson%20Tide.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 2088
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 1:42:45 PM   
marty

Before the draft, I advocated that if the Vikings not trading up to the top 5, and were making their picks at #11 and #23, that we go QB 1st, then defense. And that is what was done.

Now had the Vikings gone defense 1st, they could have assumed the Jets were going offense, so they wouldn't have had to give up any picks, and the Vikings likely would have taken Turner at #11, since the Jets went OL.

The Vikings would have a little more ammo, they could have traded up to #17 where they chose Turner, and used that pick for McCarthy. And with the extra ammo, it's also possible they traded up even higher to get McCarthy (between 12-16).

So it's probably a wash.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2089
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 1:59:35 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Before the draft, I advocated that if the Vikings not trading up to the top 5, and were making their picks at #11 and #23, that we go QB 1st, then defense. And that is what was done.

Now had the Vikings gone defense 1st, they could have assumed the Jets were going offense, so they wouldn't have had to give up any picks, and the Vikings likely would have taken Turner at #11, since the Jets went OL.

The Vikings would have a little more ammo, they could have traded up to #17 where they chose Turner, and used that pick for McCarthy. And with the extra ammo, it's also possible they traded up even higher to get McCarthy (between 12-16).

So it's probably a wash.

Denver was not trading 12 to us, and Vegas would've grabbed McCarthy at 13.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 5/1/2024 5:25:05 PM >
Post #: 2090
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 3:10:00 PM   
Bill Johanesen

In retrospect, I'll say Kwesi ultimately gave up too much to move from 42 to 17, even for the selection.

2nd
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

Got back a 7th.

Darn near an entire draft.
Post #: 2091
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 3:14:19 PM   
Bill Johanesen

McCarthy will have some runway, but if Turner isn't showing much after a year then Kwesi needs to be shown the door.

Conversely, if Turner is sacking QBs after he gets off the plane then Kwesi gets a reprieve.
Post #: 2092
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 5:13:04 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Sounds great.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2093
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 5:15:16 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

So it's probably a wash.

Denver was trading 12 to us, and Vegas would've grabbed McCarthy at 13.

Marty DL is absolutely right. It would have been a HUGE MISTAKE taking Turner at 11.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2094
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 6:02:06 PM   
marty

Well, then it probably wasn't a wash, and I was absolutely right that taking the QB 1st was the smart move.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2095
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 6:02:54 PM   
marty

Glad the Vikings agreed with me, and got it right.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2096
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 6:30:19 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Well, then it probably wasn't a wash, and I was absolutely right that taking the QB 1st was the smart move.

Way to go out on a limb...
Post #: 2097
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 7:37:59 PM   
marty

It was going out on a limb with several posters chastising me, and insisting that it was much smarter to take a defender first, and a QB 2nd.

Thank you 😊

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2098
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 7:49:21 PM   
David Levine

Everyone knew we were taking a QB early.

Everyone.
Post #: 2099
RE: 2024 Draft - 5/1/2024 7:56:15 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

In retrospect, I'll say Kwesi ultimately gave up too much to move from 42 to 17, even for the selection.

2nd
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

Got back a 7th.

Darn near an entire draft.

You didn't need to wait for retrospect. They way overpaid for the draft slot if you treat it as one deal. But the trade up was a two step process, with very different motivations for each part.

The Vikes overpaid to get to #23 so they could have a chance to trade up to get Drake May. But the Pats had the same opinion of Drake May, and so no deal was possible. Was that a defensible decision? I'd say it was at least close. They had to do it, if they wanted any chance to get one of the top 3 QBs. But it didn't work out. So hold them responsible for that misjudgment.

But given the situation they faced on draft day, was it worth overpaying to trade up from 23 to get Turner specifically? That's not about the slot; that's about the player. That trade worth it? Hell yeah.

But he could be a bust. What do I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 2100
Page:   <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode